Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2011, 19:11  Xymph 

Blue wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 19:06:
He didn't spend time and effort programming that just to bust your balls.
No, right, of course not. Sneaky

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2011, 11:17  Xymph 

Blue wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 07:22:
nin wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 21:12:
It's funny you mention that - From the mind of Rob Sheridan:
http://rob-sheridan.com/main.php#/IMAGES/ILLUSTRATION/1

edit: You'll have to cut and past that, since I can never gets Frans wacky-assed URL thing to work...
Looks like there may be something going wrong with making it work with the type of link you were posting.
The spec I originally based the URL parsing on didn't allow /'s (nor most other special characters) after the # character, as it was meant just as a bookmark (<a name> anchor) within a page. It turns out a newer spec (RFC3986) allows the same set of characters in this "#" fragment as is allowed in the "?" query portion of URLs. The URL parsing in the board has been updated accordingly.

So now it works.

-- Frans

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2011, 04:35  Xymph 

skyguy wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 16:18:
Hey Blue, is there a way to login without posting a comment? Now that there's the "keep track of viewed posts" functionality, it pays to be logged in even if you're not actively commenting.
No, the user settings cookie is separate from the board cookies, and it's the latter you need to set (by posting at least once) to use board features like tracking read threads.

skyguy wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 16:18:
Of course, as soon as I click "Post Comment" I'll be logged in and this question will no longer be relevant to me.
Good.

-- Frans

Hardware > Need a new monitor
3. Re: Need a new monitor Feb 8, 2011, 04:25  Xymph 

Moved to the correct forum.  

-- Frans

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2011, 15:51  Xymph 

Thanks all for the kind words... even Blue.  

-- Frans

News Comments > Battle for Freedom Demo [Updated]
17. Re: Battle for Freedom Demo Jan 5, 2011, 16:31  Xymph 

Blaaguuu wrote on Jan 4, 2011, 20:32:
What sorta surprises me is that neither AtomicGamer or GamersHell appears to screen the files at all before releasing them.
That's actually no surprise at all. Back when I was running 3D Gamers, I found sites like those two, Worthleaking, and others fairly regularly posting files that were incomplete, corrupted or just plain broken. Must have been dozens in the span of 6-7 years.

-- Frans

General Discussion > For Creston
1. For Creston Dec 25, 2010, 04:00  Xymph 

Creston, please change your email address in the User Details into a working one. Your cox.net one doesn't work, a PM to you a few days ago bounced with an "invalid recipient" error. Thanks.  

-- Frans

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2010, 14:43  Xymph 

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2010, 11:51:
Kiefer Sutherland is like 5 foot 2.
5'9", actually.

-- Frans

17. Re: Ooh Sep 22, 2010, 17:28  Xymph 

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2010, 12:26:
<-- Hey look! A red asterisk! These have been AWOL for a couple of months. Yay.
Only if you forgot to tick the Remember Me box when making posts all those months. That sets a cookie which is needed for the new-posts asterisks and user-ignore features.

-- Frans

5. Re: Twitter Sep 3, 2010, 16:03  Xymph 

complicity wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 13:52:
To be fair, Twitter announced that the deadline for using basic auth was coming over 4 months ago. They even pushed it back from June 30 to Aug 30 to give devs more time to implement OAuth.
They didn't announce it any place that Blue or I read, but then I only have time to read one (Dutch) IT news site nowadays. Having that mail announcement sent out a few months in advance, now that would have been actually useful.

Meanwhile, I hit a Perl library snag while implementing the OAuth authentication approach last night (which also prevents me from trying the user agent trick), and I don't have time today and little tomorrow, so it'll be a while longer before the feed is restored. Real life can be so time consuming...

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2010, 03:12  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on Aug 23, 2010, 21:31:
edit2: I guess if you use a non existent smiley and then follow it up with an actual one, it won't work.

So.. :-loremipsum-: Square
Woke up this morning, thought of a way to tweak the algorithm as yet. It now inserts a character (a dash, but any non-alphanumeric would do) on the insides of the colons of smiley names it can't convert, so it doesn't keep retrying the unconvertible name until the smiley counter runs out but moves on to the next one.

-- Frans

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2010, 03:04  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2010, 01:28:
Wow.... The comment box is expandable?!

How long has it been like this? Please don't say years.
Only as long as your browser supported that. This is not done with anything in the code or HTML, it's just something some browsers (Chrome, Safari and other WebKit-based ones, IIRC) are allowing with textarea fields on any site.

-- Frans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2010, 14:41  Xymph 

Xymph wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 16:10:
edit2: I guess if you use a non existent smiley and then follow it up with an actual one, it won't work.
They should work individually, irrespective of other smilies getting converted or not - but as always they still require spaces outside the colons.
I was wrong, a unknown smiley name between colons indeed prevents any further conversions. This is a limitation of that particular Perl algorithm. But it's very efficient in converting known smilies, so I'm not going to try and rewrite it. Just avoid undefined names.

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 22:04:
I guess quotes break your expected rules.

Square
They don't, but the :-hmmmmmm-: in your previous post was another unknown name.

-- Frans

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2010, 16:10  Xymph 

They should work individually, irrespective of other smilies getting converted or not - but as always they still require spaces outside the colons.

-- Frans

19. Re: Into the Black Jul 29, 2010, 14:16  Xymph 

Ant wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 15:32:
Oh OK. I thought you still have some news relationship. How are YOU? Are you still at FileFront or somewhere if it is not that?
Thanks for your interest. I quit news gathering when I quit 3D Gamers (Feb 2007), took a long break from 'real' jobs and just 'worked' on hobby stuff and Blue's News programming, also did some freelance web stuff on the side, and finally took the aforementioned job in the real world (still software development though). I've never been at FF, just at the (long idle) gamers.org since the mid-90's. And I'm doing great, thanks. And how are you?

-- Frans

17. Re: Into the Black Jul 28, 2010, 15:19  Xymph 

Ant wrote on Jul 28, 2010, 12:34:
I wonder if Frans will post for him again.
That shouldn't be necessary, but even then wouldn't be feasible: I have a full-time job (remember?), thus little spare time; and I dropped off the news@ alias years ago, so I have no idea about any news that might be sent in.

-- Frans

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2010, 06:57  Xymph 

Bet wrote on Jun 20, 2010, 04:31:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 19, 2010, 18:56:
Maybe I just haven't been paying attention but I had no idea you worked for MTV at one point Blue.
Yeah, what the hell is my problem too, that I didn't know that. Been here for how long, and didn't notice any reference? I know I'm all about the games info, but still...
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/100181/out-of-the-blue

-- Frans

General Discussion > To-do^W Done List
11. Re: Created column May 21, 2010, 15:48  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2010, 22:40:
This is probably considered superfluous but I think it would be nice to have a Created date column next to the Updated one.
It was considered but there's no room for that in the current layout, which is intended to work in windows of 1024px (and more). With an extra column, which can be fairly wide itself, long (and even not so long) nicknames and/or thread titles would then wrap much more often, which doesn't help with readability of the thread listing.

-- Frans

General Discussion > To-do^W Done List
9. Re: smilies bug? May 14, 2010, 01:46  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on May 13, 2010, 23:48:
Doh, it's the avatar!
Elementary, my dear Watson.

-- Frans

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2010, 16:24  Xymph 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 17, 2010, 13:54:
Dang Frans - ease up on the times!!!! I can't catch you! heheheh

I hvae to be on when you are on so I can see some of your sick moves.
Thanks, but I consider myself merely a decent driver. For the really sick times, check the Dedimania world record lists.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo