Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Styles Oct 25, 2008, 16:44  Xymph 

Yay styles are applied before the page renders once again, gj.
Thanks for the confirmation, I haven't had my stylesheet loading problem anymore either. I moved the two stylesheet links back out of the header include as the first things into the <head> area, and that did the trick.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2008, 10:17  Xymph 

IGN can not own a list of games release dates. That is all I want really.
Not as such, but if that list would be a direct extract of the data that was part of the original sale, then we'd get into the legal interpretation headaches that I just have no interest in getting involved with. I'm not saying IGN would actually bother to try and prove whether such a list is an extract or not, only that I have better things to do than to run that risk.

Btw, MobyGames has a lot of release date info, and you can also try digging into archive.org for old snapshots of 3D Gamers.

-- Frans

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2008, 04:52  Xymph 

Nice one! I just noticed this now.
Great catch! It is, after all, in a totally inconspicuous spot, right next to the post button, and also was formally announced... a week ago. Rolleyes2

-- Frans

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2008, 04:47  Xymph 

You would not happen to have and old copy of your site with that list? It would be awesome to have that list (even without links to more content).
When we sold the site, that included all its content and the rights to that content. So even if I were able to put back that list online, it might be illegal to do so, depending on how strictly IGN would interpret of those rights. I'm just not going to bother to find out.

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2008, 17:50  Xymph 

I shoulda asked about that years ago
That would have been in vein, as I didn't have time for all this back then.

-- Frans

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 18:03  Xymph 

His work on adding a built in signature line is just amazing.
Thanks, remarkable praise from a poster without signature. Rolleyes2
In fact, Im even gonna use a smiley for the first time!
Congratulations. Thumbsup

-- Frans

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 17:52  Xymph 

Well Frans, i can't reproduce it. there seems to be an advertisement in the place of the line i mentioned earlier. maybe it was just missing the advertisement in my previous post.
Oh yes, ads are missing regularly and a missing square ad on the post message form could have an effect like you originally described.

So if you see that again, ignore it, but if anyone sees a glitch unrelated to ads, capture it and let me know.

-- Frans

News Comments > Mythic on WoW's WAR "Imitation"
67. Re: Mythic on WoW's WAR Oct 23, 2008, 15:03  Xymph 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(computer_game)

*grumble* Can't get the link set up right. What am I overlooking?
Nothing - I didn't allow parentheses in the URL pattern matching code, until now. Whew

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 14:24  Xymph 

Frans, could you please add the same padding below the sig line? Still kinda looks weird with it so close to the text.
I added 4 pixels below the line, and increased the padding above it to 8 pixels. Better indeed.

-- Frans

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 09:07  Xymph 

Seems that style choice isn't being applied until after the page has rendered now, so I'm dazzled by new blue for a couple of seconds before I'm returned to the peace and tranquility of retro colours
Sounds like the style sheet isn't loaded properly, or timely enough. I actually have an effect in FF2 where it occasionally isn't loaded at all. The only change I can think of affecting that is that all meta headers were moved into a separate include file, and perhaps that has the above effects on loading the style sheet specified within that include.

I duplicated the style sheet links in the main page now, so let's see if that helps.

-- Frans

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 09:00  Xymph 

has the light blue line attached to the top of each post always been there?
Yes, but it was rather dark and thus not very noticable, so I made it a lighter blue, the same as the .sig separator.
there's a white line sitting all by itself off to the right of the page in the middle of the black (my retro setting).
I don't see any white lines in retro - can you show a screenshot of that?

-- Frans

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 04:44  Xymph 

To clarify:
Wacky multiple "edited" tags have been fixed going backward
That was done yesterday indeed, but:
and going forward they should no longer clone themselves.
this already happened a few weeks ago. Coughing

The text color of the signature is also slightly off-white, which together with the divider line serves to clearly separate post from .sig, as in the past they often seemed to run on into eachother.

Finally, .sigs were stripped from old posts to prevent them from showing twice on existing posts, but only when the .sig was identical to the one inside the post. So people who update their .sig regularly will see those two different .sigs throughout the less recent portion of their post history.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2008, 04:54.

-- Frans

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Dragon Tavern Oct 21, 2008, 08:30  Xymph 

Not wishing to worry you, Blue; but the 4th top adventurer is "4. Frans, Royal Assassin" :-)
No need to worry either, as I never play games under my actual first name, so that one can't be me.

-- Frans

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Test Oct 18, 2008, 11:36  Xymph 

and the last one, hopefully  

-- Frans

7. Re: Test Oct 18, 2008, 10:58  Xymph 

test again  

-- Frans

6. Re: Test Oct 17, 2008, 12:22  Xymph 

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 30, 2009, 17:48.

-- Frans

18. Re: post votes? Oct 15, 2008, 16:17  Xymph 

OK, the problem with your troll bashing icon there is it looks like he's combing the troll's hair.
The movement is a bit off indeed, but he's clearly holding a bat instead of a comb. To emphasize that, combine these:
Bat Trollbashing

-- Frans

12. Re: post votes? Oct 15, 2008, 15:23  Xymph 

That would be the FireFox Fucktard Filter, a custom script some of us use to remove some of the problem users here...

I'm assuming you changed something, since the page no longer renders?
Yeah, I cleaned up the HTML and layout of the news/blammo and board pages a bit. Don't know how that script works or how my changes affected it, but I guess it's up to its author (or some other enterprising JS coder) to address that.

-- Frans

10. Re: post votes? Oct 15, 2008, 15:05  Xymph 

Hey Franz, since you seem to be able to add new functionality to the forums...what's the chance of getting a post vote system? So we can just vote down troll posts and misinformation posts. Seems to work decently on other forums.
Slim to none. That seems a little too complex given the Chatbear-derived codebase I'm working with.

Email notification on posts you have commented on would be nice too. Kinda sucks missing out on replies that are from smaller threads that don't make the "Popular Threads" list and get bumped by evening and midnight news updates.
That might be feasible, as there's already some code for that lingering around that's currently commented out. Still, that would be pretty big task (what with people needing to be able to un-notify from threads as well), so no promises.

Btw, I'm not German. Hahaha_no

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2008, 15:06.

-- Frans

9. Re: post votes? Oct 15, 2008, 15:01  Xymph 

Frans! You just broke the FFFF greasemonkey script!
Uhh, what's that? Confused
Problem reports are welcome, but remember to include details.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo