Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2009, 17:38  Xymph 

Thanks all for the kind words. Have some more Cake and Beer on me.

I have this picture of you in my head every time your name is mentioned...stocky, blonde handel bar moustache, red cheeks & wearing a German military uniform from the first world war, complete with hard Helmet & spike on top.
Im guessing this is a little off the mark.
Waaay off, you got me confused with Franz.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2008, 10:27  Xymph 

PS Tab focus fix from e-mail to password field, instead of e-mail field to Preview Message button..?
Tab order wasn't defined for the email & password fields, since one never needs to touch them after entering them the first time and checking the Remember box. Also, going directly from the Subject & Message fields to the Preview & Post buttons was an earlier request.

I now added the Email/Password/Remember fields to the focus sequence, but after the Post button.

-- Frans

8. Re: Feature Request Dec 15, 2008, 17:11  Xymph 

Blue (or Frans), could you change this comment entry form so that "Post Message" or "Preview Message" is given focus when you press tab in the comment box? I'd used to finishing message board posts with Tab, Enter.
Blue doesn't (and shouldn't) touch the scripts.
Done, the order is: Subject, Message, Preview, Post. Same for the Edit form.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2008, 17:11.

-- Frans

News Comments > Linux Prey Released
4. Re: Linux Prey Released Dec 9, 2008, 08:24  Xymph 

Prey is based on Quake3 tech right? Or is it on the Doom3 engine??
It's Doom 3 tech.

-- Frans

11. Re: Search! Dec 3, 2008, 14:57  Xymph 

The news search and the Search! input in the menu bar now also use this same search method with boolean queries.  

-- Frans

8. Re: Search! Dec 3, 2008, 12:54  Xymph 

Frans! What have you done with our .sigs?!
There were so few comments on the new search feature that some temporary punishment was in order.

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Nov 27, 2008, 15:36  Xymph 

You never answered the question though. Does the system have a timer, or are you just looking for excuses to stay up late?!
Pay attention, you fool! Mr_t

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Nov 26, 2008, 05:05  Xymph 

Or does your system have a timer thing and can make live your info at a certain time?
It does.

-- Frans

14. Re: A tiny request for a forum feature/tweak Nov 14, 2008, 17:15  Xymph 

When we edit a post, the "this post was edited" message gets appended to the bottom of the post.

I wish that this only came after an edit that took place a little while after the post was made. That way, we can quickly fix our posts if we notice some errors right after posting it. Thoughts?
How long is "a little while"? That seems kind of arbitrary. The preview button is meant to help with fixing minor glitches before posting, so get used to that.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2008, 17:17.

-- Frans

14. Re: PDA Mode Nov 14, 2008, 17:10  Xymph 

Looking cool. Any chance we can get less of the HTML stripped? Article links, blockquotes, etc, appeared to from my quick scroll through it. Understand if you had to cripple it due to UGO restrictions and so forth.
UGO wasn't involved in the design choices. It's in Blue's own interest not to make the PDA site a complete but ad-free alternative to the regular site, as his income depends on the latter.

So the goal for the mobile sites to offer a quick way to check the latest gaming news while on the road, as an additional service, and not to reproduce the full website functionality on a handheld device. To that end, blockquotes and the OotB links table have been stripped in order to reduce overal page size (since more data traffic often costs users more money). Links are stripped for the same reason, and to give people an incentive to (re)visit the full site as yet to check the stories they're interested in. Lastly, many of the pages and sites linked to are not mobile-friendly, so the links are of limited use anyway.

(I also got an XML parsing error when I viewed it through FFox on the desktop, which is strange because typically it doesn't do that to XHTML pages. Pocket IE and Opera Mobile rendered it without problems, the two primary Windows Mobile based browsers.)
Yeah, I saw that too, it happens with 8-bit characters translated into named (rather than numeric) & entities, but since the PDA site isn't meant for normal desktop browsers anyway, I see no reason to address that.

Having the BN colours would be cool, too, but that's just me being picky.
The logo uses the appropriate background. Not sure what other BN colors you're referring to.

-- Frans

News Comments > Ubisoft Acquiring Massive Entertainment
6. Re: Ubisoft Acquiring Massive Entertainm Nov 11, 2008, 04:26  Xymph 

They were part of Sierra/Dynamix and then purchased by Vivendi if I'm not mistaken.
You are. Massive was independent until acquired by Vivendi, long after Sierra/Dynamix was.

-- Frans

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2008, 10:48  Xymph 

Sorry Frans, still dead here. Same symptoms, same error message under "details" tab on the Blackberry. Anything we can do say the word....
Well, I don't know what else I can do besides making sure the WML code validates.
I'd still like to hear whether anything changed for Jeraxle's iPod Touch, or Efflixi's HTC Mogul.

-- Frans

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 14:22  Xymph 

The only thing I can try is restrict the number of stories and see if the smaller WML file does load for those that currently have trouble.
Okay, now there's only 10 stories and the WML file is about 10 KB. Does that help for anyone who previously was unable to load the site?

-- Frans

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 14:17  Xymph 

Also getting the Internal server error from my Blackberry...

Additional info says "internal compiler error application/vnd.wap.wmic"
The site is served with the correct content type "text/vnd.wap.wml" so either that 'wmic' is a typo or it is indeed a Blackberry problem.

Looks like a Blackberry issue, yes?

Oops. Forgot to mention I'm using MS Pocket IE emulation mode, and WML and HTML Content Mode.

Hope it might help.
'fraid not, as my knowledge (along with the aforementioned testing capability) is really limited. The only thing I can try is restrict the number of stories and see if the smaller WML file does load for those that currently have trouble.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 14:18.

-- Frans

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:04  Xymph 

I take it we won't be able to post comments (or see them) from the m version?
No, only the current day news of the frontpage has been converted into a WML version, not the rest of the site.

The whole idea here is to simply make it possible to check the latest news while on the road, rather than make your main browser completely obsolete.

As for looks, I'm fine with how it looks, but if'n ya want to put it in blue or retro colors, you wouldn't get any arguments from me.
Okay, as currently most formatting is stripped out to reduce page size (and to comply with the WML spec) and I think it's just as easy for everyone to keep it that way. Also, layout tweaks are hard to devise or test for me because of the aforementioned lack of testing devices.

-- Frans

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 13:02  Xymph 

Awsome. Can we just get a version of the site design for phones with smaller screens like the iPhone and the g1 (android)?
Uhm, I don't know, as I don't have access to any of these devices and have no idea about their requirements and limitations. I also am not sure it's a good idea to create an array of different mobile sites for the wide variety of devices out there.

-- Frans

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 12:49  Xymph 

Going to either mobile site generates an HTML error and i can't view the site as of 11.06.2008 - 11:09:15.
m.blues is just an alias for wap.bluesnews.com, so there's no point in trying both.

The mobile site right now gets a clean pass from the WML validator, so I'm afraid I don't know what error you could still be getting.

Edit: the only possible cause I can think of now is that of page size, as the WML file is currently 20 KB and that may be too large for some devices (at least it is for the emulator I mentioned earlier). If that's the case I'll need to limit the number of stories on the WAP site, rather than include all of today's stories (which grows quite a bit during the day and especially with the evening update).

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2008, 13:23.

-- Frans

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2008, 03:23  Xymph 

The mobile version isn't HTML, it's WAP. It works in Pocket Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile. I'm surprised it doesn't work on Blackberry, less so iPod Touch.
Blue tested it on his phone, but I don't know what brand/model that is. I also tested it in this WinWAP Smartphone Browser Emulator.

Blue/Frans, any chance at getting a stripped down HTML version? Basically the current layout/style, but one column
Maybe, if you have more info on how it should look. Are there any pointers to formatting and naming conventions for such a format?

-- Frans

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2008, 05:28  Xymph 

umm, there is a link somewhere - just search for dog Halloween. He has posted them before....
Yes, these are last year's pics.

-- Frans

News Comments > EA Denies Spielberg Game Firings
3. Re: EA Denies Spielberg Game Firings Oct 31, 2008, 16:06  Xymph 

That Eurogamer link is dead and there is no mention of this story in their news section. What's up?
Nothing's up, the link works fine.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo