Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT Demo
4. Re: NFS: SHIFT Demo Sep 18, 2009, 11:34  Xymph 

You may wanna hold off downloading this 1.1 GB... looks like someone didn't test this 'alpha' release: while the unrar runs fine, the setup errors out with "The PhysX runtime distributable package was not installed succesfully. Setup cannot continue." Goofy

Edit: Ah, found a bypass:
After the unrar cancel the setup, go into the PhysX subdirectory and run that installer. Now EASetup.exe in the main directory continues and installs the demo. Phew. Wink

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2009, 11:43.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2009, 03:46  Xymph 

I just discovered rotator can be spelled forwards and backwards!
That's called a palindrome. There are more words like that, and palindromes occur in many other fields as well, look it up. Thumbsup

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2009, 18:17  Xymph 

Can you use this one?
Sure. Cthulhu

-- Frans

2. Re: Into the Black Jul 31, 2009, 04:03  Xymph 

Why doesn't Blue's News have a Cthulhu smiley?
Because it obviously wasn't included among the several sets of smileys adopted here. But don't let that stop you from making a couple of suggestions so I can pick and add one. Wink

-- Frans

News Comments > E3 2009 PC Wrap-up
1. Re: E3 2009 PC Wrap-up Jun 7, 2009, 13:57  Xymph 

Phew! I need more than one "Musical Intermission" to recover from that.  

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2009, 04:33  Xymph 

Yeah, but then there was MrsBlues brownie recipe, I believe it was
You're partly correct on that one:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=73917
Don't recall any others though, so that's not enough for a separate index page. And even then, it would be up to Blue to compile it, I guess.

-- Frans

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2009, 14:56  Xymph 

Oh, and I still want a Blue's News recipe page!
There's one already: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?show=813

-- Frans

News Comments > 3D Realms Closing?
120. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 10, 2009, 12:29  Xymph 

Sure, but I will try to send you one download link with all of the files enclosed in an archive instead because that should be easier for you to incorporate into the FTP mirror. Look for it shortly via email.
Thanks, that helped me know where to look, but I ended up getting the files directly from the 3DR site, as there were a few issues with your collection (contact me with a working email if you'd like to know the details).

I also unzipped the readme's from all the files and restored their original timestamps for a chronological perspective. The whole set is now available here:

ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.3drealms.com/downloads/

Actually, no, they are not. Some of the content on 3DGamers.com is not mirrored there including some which I personally submitted to 3DGamers.com years ago.
If you can send me a list of the missing files, perhaps I can help Matthias find and archive them on his site. But it's also possible that the files you're thinking of fall outside the scope of The Patches Scrolls (e.g. it rarely keeps demo patches).

-- Frans

115. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 15:39  Xymph 

There were also some downloads on 3DRealms download page which were not included in the FTP site. I can post those for you to include with the FTP mirror along with the original download webpage if you can't get them from 3DRealms.com yourself.
Their site is up so I could, if only I knew which files/pages you're talking about. Care to mail me the URLs?

I wish you could bring back the lost files from the 3DGamers.com archive. I still miss it since FilePlanet did not incorporate its contents with the buyout. It simply said it had 80% or so of the same files so why bother with the rest? That 20% were files for old and obscure games which simply weren't mirrored anywhere else.
I'm afraid that's not possible, as the rights to that archive (not the files themselves but the way they were organized) were part of that deal. But at least all the old patches are also at The Patches Scrolls.

-- Frans

108. Re: 3D Realms Closing? May 8, 2009, 08:34  Xymph 

http://www.3drealms.com/ appears to be shut down already (edit: nevermind, it's back now), although their forums and the Apogee site still work.
Anyway, since someone recently mentioned the Sierra ftp site had been shut down with no mirror for its old(er) files, I figured now is a good time to mirror ftp.realms.com:

ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/mirrors/ftp.3drealms.com/

It fits snugly amidst our mirrors of the 3DPortal, GamesDomain, PlanetQuake, Cactus, Wolf3D and UWP/UML ftp archives.
If someone can think of another endangered gaming ftp archive from the old days that we might want to adopt into our orphanage, please let me know.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2009, 11:26.

-- Frans

7. Re: Blue's News Logo May 4, 2009, 16:45  Xymph 

I was trying to figure out what game it's from, and it says Crysis Warhead?
How many times does this have to be repeated? Click on the logo on the homepage, then you don't have to figure.

-- Frans

News Comments > Mr. T Games Planned
17. Re: Mr. T Games Planned Apr 29, 2009, 09:47  Xymph 

I suppose so... someone's welcome to tweak it for use against a dark background. If it works better than the original, I'll be happy to replace it.  

-- Frans

News Comments > Mr. T Games Planned
15. Re: Mr. T Games Planned Apr 28, 2009, 04:33  Xymph 

Mr_t

Someone had to use that smiley.

-- Frans

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2009, 10:42  Xymph 

haha, quick fix! probably an oversight on Blue's part. he does post this stuff in the middle of the night, right? I'm never thinking straight at that time.
Hint #1: The ungodly-hour-timestamp of the morning posts is set in advance.
Hint #2: I send in typo corrections every day where needed.

-- Frans

3. Re: Dammit Blue.. Apr 1, 2009, 06:30  Xymph 

Where is the Pink's News Logo?!?
Must be your browser caching... the logo was rotated before the morning posts went live.

-- Frans

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2009, 04:56  Xymph 

ahhhh.. was wondering what the name of that one was.. i remembered the sprite character, thats about it
How many times does this have to be repeated? Click on the logo on the homepage, then you don't have to wonder.

-- Frans

3. Re: Time difference Mar 19, 2009, 04:52  Xymph 

It says at the top of the main news page that times are GMT-5. Are you sure this is right? You seem to be 4 hours behind, not five.
You can thank the US Department of Energy (or whoever was responsible) for that, when in 2007 they changed the date on which the USA switches into DST from a week after Europe's switch, to a few weeks before. It would have been far too logical to make it the same date, like with the switch out of DST -- until that same extension botched that up too.

From the last Sunday in March until the last one in October, the difference will once again be 5 hours. Then DST will be out of sync for one week until the USA drops out of it too, and the 5 hour difference returns for the winter.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2009, 04:56.

-- Frans

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2009, 04:52  Xymph 

can we change our email sign in name or do we need to create another "new" name?
Not sure what you mean by "email sign in name", but check the Modify User Details form in the User Settings menu for the fields you can change. If it isn't there, you can't.

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2009, 06:55  Xymph 

Beamer please remember to use http://www.tinyurl.com for all your tiny url needs.
Nah, the URL tag is all you need.

-- Frans

51. Re: OT Jan 20, 2009, 18:10  Xymph 

BTW, could one of you fine folks explain the new BluesNews logo to me? I don't get it ....
Instead of asking and waiting, clicking on it on the frontpage returns a pop-up with the instant answer.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo