Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xymph
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Aug 22, 2002, 01:01
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 13939

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

General Discussion > Site suggestions
36. Re: Images Jan 7, 2010, 04:52  Xymph 

I'm reluctant to add image support for the reasons mentioned in the preceding posts, but what if there also was a profile option to not include images, so that you can choose whether or not to view them. Would that work?  

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2009, 19:57  Xymph 

nin wrote on Dec 31, 2009, 11:40:
so there's no excuse for this catching nin and you so off guard.

I don't find a "shakes fist" icon, so this will have to do:
Let me assist: Shakefist

Happy New Year everyone! Angel

-- Frans

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2009, 11:11  Xymph 

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2009, 12:18:
Actually, you got me too. I was all 'WTF?' for a second, how did I miss a day here? LOL!
Blue did this last year already, and even Eve-ier two years ago, so there's no excuse for this catching nin and you so off guard.

-- Frans

30. CMS Dec 30, 2009, 04:45  Xymph 

The PC Warrior wrote on Dec 29, 2009, 19:46:
have you guys ever thought about just scrapping these forums and using an existing codebase?
Well, before I embarked on the current series of site improvements, we strongly considered porting the entire site to a CMS such as Drupal, but decided to stick with our custom Blammo/Chatbear/etc codebase, and build on that.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Compressed HTML
1. Compressed HTML Dec 27, 2009, 07:30  Xymph 

I have enabled mod_deflate in Apache, so that all HTML output from the server is compressed on the fly before transmission to your browser. This should result in (somewhat) faster loading pages, especially for big ones. Cheers. Cool  

-- Frans

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2009, 18:32  Xymph 

Enahs wrote on Dec 23, 2009, 13:06:
I would only suggest to also include the time of post as well. I.E. "Enahs said on DATE at TIME"
Done.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Quote attributions
2. Re: Quote attributions Dec 23, 2009, 04:48  Xymph 

Xymph wrote:
When using the Quote button below the post you'd like to reply to...
...the quote will now automatically be attributed to its author (borrowed from phpBB ). This should help a bit to follow discussions within long(er) threads.

-- Frans

General Discussion > Quote attributions
1. Quote attributions Dec 23, 2009, 04:47  Xymph 

When using the Quote button below the post you'd like to reply to...  

-- Frans

27. Re: Post display Dec 17, 2009, 04:44  Xymph 

What about a thread display option that will show all of the comments in a threaded view instead of just one? That would be my default in an instant, and possibly keep the rambling conversations around here a bit more organized.
Most other forums only provide flatold view, with the most recent posts at the end of threads. Here at least you can also invert that. A threaded view with all posts expanded and properly indented will be difficult to combine with pagination. Currently threads, even with hundreds of posts like this, are shown on a single page but that becomes impractical when they are shown in full.

So I've put this on my to-investigate list, but don't know if and when it'll ever get done.

-- Frans

26. Re: Post display Dec 17, 2009, 04:35  Xymph 

How about cleaning up the post interface? Should emoticons be above the login and not closer to the Special Codes section so somebody can see all text/mark up options in one general area?
The emoticons are clickable, and the More popup is full of smilies that can also be clicked to insert them into the post. So they're part of the input form, not of the info tables, and we think their place below the formatting buttons is just fine.

Should the "Forum Rules" be more prominent rather than being the lowest, most right-sided items? For that matter, do we need special codes listed as text and as a button?
The codes listing serves as info, a reminder of what they mean. The rules just fit nicely next to them, and the reminder in the comment field that can be clicked away is sufficient to point to them.

If I was new here, doesn't that blank button look a little strange?
I don't see any blank buttons. Maybe you mean the right-most button with the white 'Secret' text on it, but that's still readable to me. Besides, it being a bit faint to read adequately indicates its purpose.

Can I please put a character after an emoticon like I used to be able to?
No, I enforced spaces around them because too often combinations of : or ; and ) or D or P would inadvertedly get recognized as a smiley when the poster didn't mean to. And the spacing also makes the regexp substitution process cleaner.

In short, while we agree the post message form ain't pretty it is functional and logical, so we'll keep it that way for now. There are bigger fish to fry.

-- Frans

24. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 16, 2009, 04:36  Xymph 

These forums have always had Forums Index and Topics Index buttons in the top-right area of a thread/topic (though they were named Board Listings and Topic Listings before last Friday).

Well in addition to those we could have "General Discussion > Site suggestions" in the upper left hyperlink to the forum and thread, respectively, which is a convention, and does make sense.
True, so I added that and there are now two ways (except in the News Comments forum) to navigate up from a topic. Or three, if you count your browser's Back button.

-- Frans

20. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 16:36  Xymph 

Once I've clicked on a topic, there seems to be no way to return to the forum I was reading. Most forums I visit, there's clickable hotlinks at the top.
These forums have always had Forums Index and Topics Index buttons in the top-right area of a thread/topic (though they were named Board Listings and Topic Listings before last Friday).

-- Frans

18. Re: Forum topic listings Dec 14, 2009, 14:33  Xymph 

In the forums topic listings, a way to identify threads that have been updated since your last visit, instead of just threads with comments that you have not read.
This is a known consequence of Bagpuss' choice to fit already read threads in a session cookie. Keeping track of which thread you've read when, and whether new posts arrived since then, requires database work. That's on my to-do list, but was beyond the scope of Friday's roll-out.

[Bagpuss was the developer of the Chatbear boards from which these forums were originally derived, although I've since added a lot of stuff, some of which doesn't even exist on the current Chatbear site.]

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2009, 14:38.

-- Frans

17. Re: Site suggestions Dec 14, 2009, 14:26  Xymph 

They should stay set to whatever you have selected. Does that not work for you?
It does work, but seems to expire every month or so...
All site cookies (except the session one that tallies which threads you've read) are set to expire in 12 months. So this must be something that happens on your computer.

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Dec 12, 2009, 04:41  Xymph 

I especially like the News Forum, where you can see all the news updates in a chronological order. No more looking around to see if something got updated. Awesome. :)
Huh. That's been around since the very beginning of these forums with the News Forum link at the top of the page. Rolleyes2
The Discussion Forums (previously Message Boards) entry under Resources in the menu bar always existed too, providing a list of boards (just one before last night). I thought that was the whole reason why, a while ago, you asked for additional forums next to it.

Anyway, glad you like 'm. Grin

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2009, 07:04.

-- Frans

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Dec 12, 2009, 04:34  Xymph 

Anyone else having the problem of not being able to see the comments when clicking on any of the "popular threads" in the sidebar?
Good catch, needed to add the boardid back into the links now that there's more than one forum. Fixed.

-- Frans

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2009, 18:19  Xymph 

Ok folks, the new forums are live: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl  

-- Frans

General Discussion > First post!
1. First post! Dec 11, 2009, 18:05  Xymph 

Well, someone had to do it.  

-- Frans

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2009, 16:42  Xymph 

An "ignore poster" function
No, that is still on my to-do list. This release brings plenty of functional and visual improvements/changes, but even more changes under the hood. Many of those were needed to allow for additional forums where users can start their own new threads, while still keeping the news comments tied to the news stories. The code was also tightened up, centralizing duplicated code in one place (e.g. the nearly identical post and edit forms), squashing a bunch of bugs, and many other little tweaks. Ultimately all this (nearly two weeks' work) should make future extensions easier too.

-- Frans

7. Re: Out of the Blue : Lego Snowman Dec 6, 2009, 17:20  Xymph 

Another thing I noticed today is that sometimes game title names and company names are in BOLD

How long has that been around for?
Blue started doing that manually in his stories quite a while ago. Since there's no programming involved, I don't recall exactly when.

-- Frans

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo