Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1394 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
50. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jun 24, 2010, 14:22 Icewind

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 14:15:
PropheT wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 13:31:

How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?

In part, I agree with you. However, many of the genre's best games lie in the past. I still install the Infinity Engine games (BG1-2, IWD1-2, PS:T) on every new Pc I've built since the start of the last decade, and I doubt that habit will ever end. Why? Because you still can't find a PC RPG as deep and challenging as they were.

What about Wizardry 8? Temple of Elemental Evil? The first two Gothic games? Arx Fatalis? I still play these regularly, yet find myself bored to tears with modern RPGs (FO3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age) after only one playthrough.

I don't really think nostalgia factors into this, since I've been gaming since 1983 and have no desire to return to the SSI D&D Goldbox games I grew up on, complexity and strategy be damned.

Those who whine that people only play old games due to nostalgia are usually young children who weren't old enough to play those games when they were new.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
45. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jun 24, 2010, 13:54 Icewind

Kajetan wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 13:41:
Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 13:27:
Dragon Age on the other hand? Not a port.
I havent played Dragon Age yet, but are there those typical text messages while saving, that i SHOULD KEEP MY FATTY FINGERS FROM THE POWER SWITCH BECAUSE THE GAME SAVES NOW? Typical sign of a quick and sloppy conversion. If not, than Bioware has made a "true" and perfect PC version.

Yup, exactly what I was going to point out.

the only "True" PC RPGs I've played in the last three years were Drakensang, The Witcher, and Risen. Everything else has, in some way, been watered down for the slope-headed console playing troglodytes.

News Comments > Namco Bandai Losses
3. Re: Namco Bandai Losses May 11, 2010, 02:48 Icewind

They wouldn't have this problem if they didn't treat the "Tales of..." community like a red headed stepchild.

Bring out Tales of Hearts for the DS, and release Vesperia for the PS3 in America.

Then watch the money flow in.

News Comments > Alganon Plagiarism?
38. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 11, 2010, 02:40 Icewind

Sometimes you dig your hole so deep it's best to just throw the shovel in and walk away rather than attempt to cover it up.  

News Comments > Alganon Plagiarism Follow-up
22. Re: Alganon Plagiarism Follow-up May 11, 2010, 02:23 Icewind

It doesn't really help Alganon's case that they:

#1: Use the same exact font as WoW (ex: look at the monster names)
#2: Use the same graphical style
#3: Use a remarkably similar user interface

You know what they say, if it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck....

News Comments > Fallout Soundtrack Remastered
9. Re: Fallout Soundtrack Remastered May 11, 2010, 02:05 Icewind

Already downloaded it. Will burn them to some CDs and listen to them while I write.

Big thanks to whomever discovered that.

News Comments > Telepath RPG: Servants of God Demo
3. Re: Telepath RPG: Servants of God Demo May 11, 2010, 01:59 Icewind

Riker wrote on May 10, 2010, 22:33:
When an independent, low/no-budget game looks like an independent, low/no-budget game, it's not good. It looks and sounds (musically) obscenely horrible.

Have to agree with you there. I'm a fan of JRPGs myself (Including Shining Force, which this game is obviously based on) and it looks extremely low quality.

It could have the greatest written story since Chris Avellone crawled out between his mother's legs and I don't see this being anything more than a 15 year old's RPGmaker fantasy.

Pass.

News Comments > Kotick: "No Choice But to Fire" IW Heads
2. Re: Kotick: "No Choice But to Fire" IW Heads May 6, 2010, 22:40 Icewind

Insubordination is just corporate talk for "They didn't bow down and kiss my nuts when I told them to"

Yeah Mr. Kotick, we all know how you are.

No pity here, dickhead.

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained
7. Re: Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained May 3, 2010, 15:09 Icewind

WyldKat wrote on May 3, 2010, 13:08:
now that Bethesda has successfully resurrected the franchise

*snicker*

Daddy lets you post on his computer?

You kids are so cute when you try to enter our hobby.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 02:34 Icewind

but FF13 isn't that bad

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Wait, I have to catch my breath......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2010, 20:54 Icewind

Jesus Christ, can we quit the "Games = Art" bullshit? the only gamers that truly believe it are the shut-in nerds that want their pathetic hobby legitimized.

I don't need the hobby legitimized, nor do I feel it has to be.

Games used to be challenging and worth the effort required to defeat them. Now designers shrink the single player to 3-5 hour "campaigns" and focus more on MP modes then decent AI or challenging levels.

Games should be about challenge, not about digitally recreating the god damned renaissance.

Ebert was right. Period.

EDIT: Thank god for Demon's Souls and the last two Wiiware Megaman Games. Give me challenge like that and I'm happy.

News Comments > Fallout MMO Suit Continues
7. Re: Fallout MMO Suit Continues Apr 23, 2010, 20:51 Icewind

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 14:54:
I would hate an Elder Scrolls MMO. It wouldn't be moddable and modding is what makes that series worthwhile.

Exactly, because TES has always, and will continue to suck balls. It takes about a year or two of fan modifications to make them halfway decent.

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Lawsuit Dropped
6. Re: Fallout MMOG Lawsuit Dropped Apr 22, 2010, 15:01 Icewind

Surf wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 14:33:
But ultimately people are whiny little bitches that have to win all the time or they pout. Hence the creation of WOW.

So god damned true.

WoW lasted me a little under 2 weeks before the "RPG on Training wheels" feeling of it wore me down to the point of frustration. You never lost anything, you never experienced huge penalties for failure and you were given huge quantities of loot for doing absolutely nothing.

That's why people love WoW: It gives you everything without you working for it and never punishes you for stupidity or lack of focus.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Cracked?
52. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 14:51 Icewind

Surf wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 14:37:
Nay, OnLive (or onelive?) will take care of this for all...

(Snicker...)

Sure it will, in Europe and Asia.

In America, we rank 15th ( http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/16/technology/fcc_broadband/index.htm ) in Broadband Internet speeds amongst developed countries. There is simply no way the average joe, or even the above-average Joe, will ever be able to reliably play games using OnLive's service if he lives in the U.S.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2010, 22:30 Icewind

Hearing about a cop who was involved in gaming makes me think of another cop that was involved in gaming: That guy who owned the old GoneGold website, Rich who-ever. Former cop, real joke of a man.

Some fat whiny guy that begged for handouts and whined about how he wasn't getting worshiped enough. Think he was morbidly obese and lived in a wheelchair. Oh, that always cracked me up. Begging for Super Bowl tickets and E3 attention. He have a heart attack yet?

On topic: Gates was a great cop. We could use more of them.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2010, 22:22 Icewind

kxmode wrote on Apr 18, 2010, 21:42:
@space captain

I have you muted but I wondered what you said. I thought perhaps you might have something interesting to add to the conversation. Yup, as I suspected. You BRING nothing! I like when people troll but it has to be witty or funny. Your comment history is rife with banal, obscene trolling of the worst kind. You may reply but I won't see your comment.

That's cute.

News Comments > June Singularity Confirmed
3. Re: June Singularity Confirmed Apr 18, 2010, 22:20 Icewind

It'll be another Timeshift.

Watch.

News Comments > Infinity Ward Exodus Continues
41. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 17:41 Icewind

The MW "Series" is overrated anyway. Just an army recruitment tool meant to brainwash poor white trash into joining the military so they can live out the exciting life of a psychopathic courageous Arab terrorist hating serial killer American patriot.

Hopefully, in their new company, these ex Infinity Ward fellows move away from this jingoistic garbage.

News Comments > Get Well Soon Tom Hall
3. Re: Get Well Soon Tom Hall Apr 15, 2010, 16:44 Icewind

Anachronox is one of the most under-appreciated RPGs of all time. I don't say that just to pat the guy on the back and be nice...I really mean it. He should have had that game sell millions and make a huge series out of it, sadly Ion Storm's bumblings ruined everything. Properly marketed, it would have been huge.

In short, the man is a genius.

Get well soon bro.

News Comments > Free CryENGINE Plans
13. Re: Free CryENGINE Plans Apr 13, 2010, 00:42 Icewind

BobBob wrote on Apr 13, 2010, 00:37:
In that case, what is the future of id Software?

Probably making Facebook games that rely on micro-transactions and repetitive, meaningless gameplay devices.

Hey, if Richard Garriott can do it....

1394 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo