Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1464 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Plans
22. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Plans Nov 7, 2010, 19:34 Icewind

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 14:57:
That DLL isn't hacked. It simply forces a lower shader version, and it's used for benchmarking.

As for bugs, I've run across a few. One being nipton(crashes when you're supposed to attack), and a broken quest link from Camp Hope, where if you don't pick up a quest right away you can't complete it.

Actually, you're wrong. I didn't want to type out the whole explanation because I didn't want to come off as a smart ass, seems you beat me to it though.

What the .dll does is force the game to run in native dx9 mode. They changed FO:NV so that it sort of emulates dx9 through dx10 on any vista or win7 machine. This is what is causing the game's problems, since this emulation method makes it unnecessarily taxing to do non-conversational facial emotions on NPCs. This is a problem when there are a lot of NPCs on the screen since they are all frequently shifting emotions and facial expressions causing the engine to get bogged down. Simple as that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer
19. Re: Battlefield Play4Free FAQ; Trailer Nov 7, 2010, 19:31 Icewind

Surf wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 17:11:
"And using the "HD" marketing gimmick term for a PC release? Ugh."

It's also done on Atari's games. Even the Witcher had a big "HD GAMING" intro during the load up screens. It always made me laugh, since that game was certainly not looked upon favorably for its graphics.

It's a by product of the dumbing down of the gaming hobby. Most of the teens and trailer park twenty-somethings who haven't been gaming for 20+ years think "HD" sounds cool and means the games will make them look cool to their friends.

HD in the 21st century is sort of like how the phrase "Hi-fi" was in the 20th century. It really doesn't mean anything and can be applied to any product to make it sound *awesome*.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Video Diary
2. Re: The Witcher 2 Video Diary Nov 7, 2010, 14:42 Icewind

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 13:51:
Atari? I thought they had a different publisher this time, some Japanese company.

You're probably thinking of Namco-Bandai (A Japanese publisher) who is handling the game's distribution through Western Europe for some reason.

CD Projekt is handling the rest of Europe and Atari is taking care of the US.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Plans
3. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Plans Nov 7, 2010, 14:36 Icewind

Most people are experiencing a problem with ATI 4 & 5 series cards where the FPS drops down to single digit levels whenever there are a dozen or more NPCs on the screen. You need a hacked .dll file to fix it, which I and many others grabbed off of Fallout Nexus.

There are several broken quests too, and followers do have a tendency to not "zone" with your character when you go to certain areas (Most notably the strip itself)

While I'll agree it's nowhere near as buggy as FO3 was at launch, it still isn't exactly free of guilt.

I just wish the patch notes for this said something about the ATI fix, because it seems silly having to trick the game by using that hacked .dll file.

Also, their atimgpud.dll file is 32bit, which means that if you want HDR with an ATI card and you have a 64bit OS you have to pull a 64bit atimgpud.dll from the web.

This was a known problem in FO3 yet is still left unfixed in FONV.

News Comments > The Old Republic Delay?
1. Re: The Old Republic Delay? Nov 6, 2010, 14:25 Icewind

Maybe this was true after all.

Probably scared EA enough to want to devote more time to it.

Though as far as I can tell, it looks exactly like KOTOR. Same stuff 2001 animations, same ugly 2001 textures. Maybe the gameplay will save it, but I somehow doubt it.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Hotfix
2. Re: AMD Catalyst Hotfix Nov 6, 2010, 00:56 Icewind

I'm waiting for 10.11

I tried 10.10 and even with the hotfix I was getting VPU recovery messages. Rolled back to 10.9 and they stopped.

I love ATI, but their drivers are dice rolls for me. Even moreso than Nvidia used to be.

News Comments > Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year
15. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 6, 2010, 00:53 Icewind

PHJF wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 00:31:
Boys who think "Nintendo" is cool ARE the worst!

The politically correct term is Wii.

You know, like a penis.

News Comments > Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year
12. Re: Pachter: CoD Subscriptions Next Year Nov 5, 2010, 23:27 Icewind

Dear developers and publishers of FPS games,

Can I please have some single player FPS games? I know multiplayer is the new hotness in FPS, but can you please make some 10-15+ hour long campaigns similar to what we've seen in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Half-Life 2? I can't really justify paying $50-$60 for a 4 hour long campaign that forces me into monotonous, hack-filled multiplayer with 13 year old boys that think saying the N-word is cool.

Sincerely,

The one guy who is still playing DOOM wads in 2010.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales
5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Midnight Sales Nov 5, 2010, 23:22 Icewind

Narf2029 wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 23:06:
Yes, how dare we be robbed of the first couple hours of playing a new game when we could instead be sleeping for work the next morning. It's not like we'll ever get a chance to play it again if we miss that first midnight, since it turns to dust when sunlight gets on it.

But...but..but we want to play with the cool kids and if we aren't playing on hour one we fail as cool kids!

Surely you understand this!

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Nov 5, 2010, 21:26 Icewind

Thank god I'll never have to see James Blonde Daniel Craig ever again. I've been a fan of 007 since my grandfather introduced me to the books/movies in the mid 80s. I hated Craig's version of bond and I absolutely despised the reboot.

Where was the humor? Bleak sarcasm? British wit? Sure, the movies were serious but a lot of really silly moments filled each flick. That's what made them fun. The reboots with Craig were far too serious and felt like a two hour long episode of 24. He was basically a British Jack Bauer.

Good riddance.

News Comments > ZeniMax Buys Machinegames
3. Re: ZeniMax Buys Machinegames Nov 5, 2010, 15:52 Icewind

Well, as long as they give EA and Activision some competition, I'm game.  

News Comments > Icewind Dale 2 Complete on GOG.com
1. Re: Icewind Dale 2 Complete on GOG.com Nov 4, 2010, 21:59 Icewind

One of my favorite end game D&D battles was in IWD2. I loved how they set it up. Not to spoil anything, but you can't even kill the end bosses. You have to trick them into destroying themselves.  

News Comments > Dark Age of Camelot Patched
2. Re: Dark Age of Camelot Patched Nov 4, 2010, 17:13 Icewind

Hard to believe DAoC is still around. Played it around November/December 2001. Like all MMORPGs, it didn't last me much longer than a couple months.

News Comments > Relic on GFWL and Steamworks
28. Re: Relic on GFWL and Steamworks Nov 4, 2010, 15:13 Icewind

I have to laugh at the people upset about the "constant" patches to Steam.

I've been using Steam since HL2 came out in the fall of 2004. I've never seen a Steam client patch last more than 20 seconds.

If you can't wait less than half a minute to play your game then you have issues.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2010, 17:40 Icewind

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2010, 15:56:
This whole thing is based around Postal 2.

...and what's funny about it is that Postal itself was a game that was purposely lampooning the violent video game industry and spitefully doing it in the face of all of its detractors.

It was a game that existed for one reason and one reason only: To tick off Jack Thompson.

News Comments > Perry: Gaikai "Ready to Launch"
6. Re: Perry: Gaikai Nov 3, 2010, 14:53 Icewind

elefunk wrote on Nov 3, 2010, 14:38:
You guys realize that Gaikai isn't remotely a competitor to OnLive, right? Like, they're not similar at all, in any way shape or form, in business models.

Right?

From Gaikai's website's official FAQ:

Gaikai is a cloud-based gaming technology that allows users to play major PC and console games like Call Of Duty or World Of Warcraft instantly, with one click. No download or install required.

From OnLive's own official support page:

The OnLive® Game Service is a revolutionary, on-demand video game platform capable of delivering the latest and most advanced games instantly over a broadband connection on virtually any PC or Mac®, or on an HDTV, via OnLive's MicroConsole™ TV Adapter.

So enlighten me wise one, what's the difference here?

News Comments > Dragon Age Facebook Game
12. Re: Dragon Age Facebook Game Nov 3, 2010, 14:31 Icewind

So when will the Dragon Age 2 trailers featuring Marilyn Manson's latest single be released?

News Comments > Perry: Gaikai "Ready to Launch"
4. Re: Perry: Gaikai "Ready to Launch" Nov 3, 2010, 14:28 Icewind

Wait...so there are two cloud gaming services now? I thought OnLive was the only one.

I guess America's measly 3mbps average broadband speed is good enough to stream a modern FPS perfectly across the wires then? Common sense tells me otherwise.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
16. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 3, 2010, 02:37 Icewind

I had the PC one. Played it on PC for 3 months, but eventually moved to the console version. Sad to say, but this game was made for the consoles. I'm as diehard a PC fanboy as they come (Look at my post history) but even I have to admit that the PC version was a redheaded stepchild to Gearbox.

It isn't jsut the lack of true Widescreen or the DRM either. It's the fact that the GUI still doesn't work properly, the game has shitty multi-core support, the game is finicky with the recent ATI drivers, the microphone controls are hidden away in the .ini files, and it uses Gamespy for its matchmaking...

and there is no latency indicator next to the games that pop up in the browser as a result of that.

Buying it for the Xbox not only helped me avoid those problems, but it made the GUI much easier to manage. Which is odd for an arthritic old man like me who prefers the ease of us a Keyboard gives me.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - James Bond 007: Blood Stone
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - James Bond 007: Blood Stone Nov 3, 2010, 02:19 Icewind

Really bad timing putting it up against Goldeneye for the Wii. Even though it is a Wii game, the Goldeneye game at least has its pedigree going for it, though probably not much else.

What they should do is make an FPS/RPG hybrid like Deus Ex. Have it so bond can choose who to manipulate, who to work for and where to go through dialog or non-linear mission paths. Using DX1 as a guide, you'd have a good game on your hands that would stay true to the source.

1464 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo