Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1393 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Vindictus Open Beta Tomorrow
2. Re: Vindictus Open Beta Tomorrow Oct 12, 2010, 21:34 Icewind

I know a guy who played the original version of this (Mabinogi Heroes) and he said that Nexon is about as half-assed a company as you're likely to find. They ban people for reporting hackers, ban people for reporting bots, ban people for reporting gold farmers and will ban your account randomly just for kicks.

Looking at the Dungeon Fighter Online forums I tend to believe him.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands GOTY Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands GOTY Edition Oct 12, 2010, 18:08 Icewind

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 17:56:
I'm actually sad that DNF is seeing the light of day. What else will there to be made fun of?

Half-Life Black Mesa is my guess.

How long has it been? How many delays? It's quickly becoming the new DNF.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
4. Re: NVIDIA Beta Derivers Oct 11, 2010, 23:31 Icewind

jimnms wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 23:12:
I was just on Nvidia's site to see if there was a new driver. It seems like it has been a while since they've released a driver. I have 258.96, which is still the latest WHQL driver.

The reason I checked is I got a strange error while playing a game tonight. The game dropped to the desktop and there was an info box down by the system tray that said something about the display driver failed and has recovered. After the second time I checked for a new driver.

Glad to see that isn't only an ATI thing.

ATI drivers are like a dice roll. Once I find one that works, I keep it and use my other PC as the guinea pig for all new driver testing.

Next card is going to be an nvidia again, for sure.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - ArcaniA – Gothic 4 in EU Oct 11, 2010, 23:01 Icewind

Surf wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 22:44:
Coming to a Bit Torrent near you!

It's already out. Not on "That site" but on "the other".

I just "reloaded" ahem, the page and saw it.

News Comments > GOG.com Interview
11. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 04:23 Icewind

Well that's a little underwhelming then. That fix can be applied by the end user after a little google searching.

I think a lot of their games fall under that category, actually. You just install it, google the problem and you find the fix uploaded to a forum 3 or so years ago.

99 times out of 100, that seems to be the case. It's just that 1% that I'm thankful they exist for.

9. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 11, 2010, 03:16 Icewind

Kajetan wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 02:10:
Other games like "Arx Fatalis" got patches from the devs especially for GOG.com.

Really? What was wrong with it?

I installed Arx Fatalis on both my XP and Vista machine a couple years ago and the only problem was a few textures that were incompatible with modern Nvidia cards somehow. A quick Google turned up a post on Jowood's official Arx forum where some guy zipped up edited versions of the texture files that worked on nvidia cards. This was back in 07, maybe 08.

Arx actually runs perfectly in Vista, for me anyway.

2. Re: GOG.com Interview Oct 10, 2010, 14:38 Icewind

I wish they'd get a hold of Lands of Lore 3. I always wanted to play the 3rd one but can't get it working on any of my desktops. Best I've done is get it working on a very very old win2K machine but it crashes to desktop every 10-20 minutes.  

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
9. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice" Oct 10, 2010, 14:32 Icewind

Steam won, this war has been over for 2 years now. I'm sure if you compare sales numbers, you'll see a lot more games are bought on Steam than on GFWL. Really no contest there.

Plus Steam is an excellent interface/community service as well. I recently added a DOSbox game as a non-steam title in the games library list and activated in-game. Amazingly, when fullscreen the Steam community in-game overlay worked. Kind of funny playing a 16 year old game with in-game steam community overlay and having friends message me while playing it. Amazing little program they have there.

GFWL just connects to your XBL account. Not really that amazing for me.

News Comments > [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection
6. Re: [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection Oct 9, 2010, 02:08 Icewind

Looking at the screens I see a lot of shared assets. I was expecting something totally new or at least mostly new.

I play Hexen and Heretic in DOOMSDAY (With all the 3D models and new textures) and this doesn't really grab me.

News Comments > Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga Trailer
2. Re: Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga Trailer Oct 9, 2010, 01:58 Icewind

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 8, 2010, 23:31:
I wonder if they changed that terrible ending.

Actually, that's exactly what this expansion is about. The Saga is just the main game and the expansion put into one package with new textures applied.

Apparently you are sent back to the healer city Aleroth and begin a war with Damien.

News Comments > CD Project Founders Resign
2. Re: CD Project Founders Resign Oct 9, 2010, 01:56 Icewind

As long as this doesn't negatively impact the quality of Witcher 2, I don't care.  

News Comments > ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Delayed
7. Re: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Delayed Oct 9, 2010, 01:52 Icewind

First Two Worlds 2 and now this.

Though I can actually understand TW2 delaying into January for fear of New Vegas. As for G4, delaying it so it launches the same DAY as FO:NV is like deciding to hold your outdoor wedding on a day that a tornado is expected to pass through...and making sure you do it in the middle of a trailer park to boot.

Hey, it's their funeral.

That demo was so bad it made me go back and re-install Gothic 3. Turns out G3 isn't all that bad when you compare it to G4.

News Comments > Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M
20. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 13:51 Icewind

Beamer wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:27:
Only slightly on-topic, but I remember in the recent DNF threads some posters were irate because Duke can only carry 2 weapons at a time. I agree with the main argument - why would anyone pick up a "fun" weapon instead of a functional one? The fun weapons are luxuries and we'll only use them when they're forced on us (which will piss us off.) Instead we'll always have 2 of the following 4: pistol, machine gun, shotgun, sniper rifle. Never anything else.

I finally got L4D2 last night, though. Hey, check it out, 2 weapon limit. Did anyone complain about this, too? Definitely a similar reason for it. Granted, it's less frustrating, as the series doesn't have a multi-weapon history, there's less weapon variety, and shortcomings from picking up a less-general weapon can be made up via teamwork (although, since I'll probably only play with bots, things like the grenade launcher are virtually useless to me.)
Still, it's definite consolidation that I don't remember people complaining about.

Duke and L4D are 2 completely different games that have different fanbases and come from different eras. Old folks like me prefer the old DOOM style ludicrousness of large weapons and unrealistic gameplay. It's all about style and most modern FPS's seem to eschew all of that in favor of reality. Halo started this with its two weapon limit and it has infected nearly every other FPS since then.

Duke4 doesn't look like a duke game. No boot melee attack, no reloading, regenerating health bar, no meds, 2 weapon limit...

It sounds more like a new Halo game.

Sadly, that's what the slopeheads want.

News Comments > 12 Million WoW Subscribers
29. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 13:45 Icewind

This is bull. The only reason they received a "bump" in subs like this is because of people who wanted to play the expansion but probably lost/forgot their login details since they hadn't played in a year or more....so those people created new accounts.

I'd like to see them count subscribers using unique credit card numbers. I bet if they just counted the number of unique CC #'s they'd only have about half that. Most of their subs, as we well know, are either banned players, goldfarmers, bots or abandoned accounts.

Also notice they only pull this crap when their new expansions come out.

So when does Old Republic come out?

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Sep 12, 2010, 01:29 Icewind

I haven't missed a payment yet but now Tear wants 500K and I'm REALLY wondering if that's possible. I have 6 days to make the other 400K. At best, I can make about 40K a day from crafted items.

So you're telling me it won't be "game over" if I miss a payment? Thank goodness.

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
17. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 11, 2010, 00:16 Icewind

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 10, 2010, 23:36:
I couldn't care less if Blizzard releases Diablo 3 on consoles... cross-platform development isn't the problem, the problem is not taking advantage of all the platforms you release on.

In other words as long as Diablo 3 feels like a PC game on the PC then I'm happy. If Xbox gamers get to play it too then hey, good for them.

^This.

They can port Diablo 3 to the iPhone for all I care, but if this health orb bullshit they are talking about leads to some dumbed-down B-grade half-arsed wannabe Diablo clone I'm...

...not going to be surprised, actually.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Aug 11, 2010, 00:13 Icewind

Complexity is killing JRPGs? Is that a joke article?

JRPGs are dying, certainly, but it isn't complexity killing them...it's lack of it.

Look at FF13. The vast majority of the battles can be won using an auto-battle like system. Otherwise, you simply spam one button and watch as the battle ends. Boring.

This year we just received two very complex and enjoyable JRPGs: Resonance of Fate and Arc Rise Fantasia.

Both are difficult and have some fairly advanced combat systems for a JRPG. Resonance of Fate has already gained a really strong following amongst jaded JRPG vets that want more complexity and depth in their games.

News Comments > Alganon Going Free
11. Re: Alganon  Going Free Aug 11, 2010, 00:07 Icewind

Well, at least there's now something that differentiates it from WoW.  

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
51. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jun 24, 2010, 14:23 Icewind

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 14:19:
Icewind wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 13:54:
the only "True" PC RPGs I've played in the last three years were Drakensang, The Witcher, and Risen. Everything else has, in some way, been watered down for the slope-headed console playing troglodytes.

I liked NWN2 and its first Expansion quite a lot. Oh wait, that was 3.5 years ago...
But the expansion was still in that 3 year period!

I didn't care for NWN2, but I'll admit that Mask of the Betrayer was a great game. Still had the shitty combat of NWN2, but the story was excellent.

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
50. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jun 24, 2010, 14:22 Icewind

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 14:15:
PropheT wrote on Jun 24, 2010, 13:31:

How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?

In part, I agree with you. However, many of the genre's best games lie in the past. I still install the Infinity Engine games (BG1-2, IWD1-2, PS:T) on every new Pc I've built since the start of the last decade, and I doubt that habit will ever end. Why? Because you still can't find a PC RPG as deep and challenging as they were.

What about Wizardry 8? Temple of Elemental Evil? The first two Gothic games? Arx Fatalis? I still play these regularly, yet find myself bored to tears with modern RPGs (FO3, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age) after only one playthrough.

I don't really think nostalgia factors into this, since I've been gaming since 1983 and have no desire to return to the SSI D&D Goldbox games I grew up on, complexity and strategy be damned.

Those who whine that people only play old games due to nostalgia are usually young children who weren't old enough to play those games when they were new.

1393 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo