Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1427 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Perry: Gaikai "Ready to Launch"
4. Re: Perry: Gaikai "Ready to Launch" Nov 3, 2010, 14:28 Icewind

Wait...so there are two cloud gaming services now? I thought OnLive was the only one.

I guess America's measly 3mbps average broadband speed is good enough to stream a modern FPS perfectly across the wires then? Common sense tells me otherwise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands Patch
16. Re: Borderlands Patch Nov 3, 2010, 02:37 Icewind

I had the PC one. Played it on PC for 3 months, but eventually moved to the console version. Sad to say, but this game was made for the consoles. I'm as diehard a PC fanboy as they come (Look at my post history) but even I have to admit that the PC version was a redheaded stepchild to Gearbox.

It isn't jsut the lack of true Widescreen or the DRM either. It's the fact that the GUI still doesn't work properly, the game has shitty multi-core support, the game is finicky with the recent ATI drivers, the microphone controls are hidden away in the .ini files, and it uses Gamespy for its matchmaking...

and there is no latency indicator next to the games that pop up in the browser as a result of that.

Buying it for the Xbox not only helped me avoid those problems, but it made the GUI much easier to manage. Which is odd for an arthritic old man like me who prefers the ease of us a Keyboard gives me.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - James Bond 007: Blood Stone
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - James Bond 007: Blood Stone Nov 3, 2010, 02:19 Icewind

Really bad timing putting it up against Goldeneye for the Wii. Even though it is a Wii game, the Goldeneye game at least has its pedigree going for it, though probably not much else.

What they should do is make an FPS/RPG hybrid like Deus Ex. Have it so bond can choose who to manipulate, who to work for and where to go through dialog or non-linear mission paths. Using DX1 as a guide, you'd have a good game on your hands that would stay true to the source.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
15. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 29, 2010, 17:03 Icewind

Didn't Ken Levine also say that "the future of the PC [are games like] Farmville, F2P MMOs and Web games"?

Yeah, most of these guys are clueless.

You become and stay a PC Gamer because of 3 things you won't get on the consoles:

1:Mods

2:No multiplayer restrictions (Though they are trying to fuck us over)

3:Better visuals

As for the PC being about "Generic Shooter #572" or whatever that guy said, it's utter bullsh*t and proves that you aren't very knowledgeable.

What about Torchlight? The Witcher? Planescape? S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Neverwinter Nights? Diablo 2 and later, Diablo 3? These are all PC only games (Don't hold your breath for that Witcher console port or that planned stalker x360 trilogy) that drastically heightened the bar.

Or wonderful programs that bring back classics in a modern age like Exult, DOSbox, PCSX2 or MAME?

Let's face facts: consoles are for kids or people with low incomes who can't afford the superior platform of the PC.

News Comments > Zenimax Buys Tango Gameworks
2. Re: Zenimax Buys Tango Gameworks Oct 29, 2010, 03:41 Icewind

I don't think this is the last time we'll see a Japanese developer signing with a western developer. They keep talking about how they need to reach out to a western audience and I suppose this is how they intend to do it.

Let's hope "making a game appeal to a western audience" doesn't just mean making the heroes look like middle aged steroid addicts.

Quantum Theory, I'm looking at you.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com
24. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 18:55 Icewind

Fond memories. I remember my mod, which I made way back in late 2003, was put in a top ten list on the official boards for "Cleric" themed adventures. A very tiny award, but something I look fondly back on. If only I had the same level of free time now that I did then, the wonderful things I could be making.

Though I hope everyone understands that NWN1 had its DRM removed completely by the second to last patch. Fan outcry in the forums forced them to remove the securom, since it was causing havoc with several configs at the time.

Some of my favorite player mods:

The Dreamcather series
The Forge of Fury
The Sunless Citadel
Daggerford
Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
and of course Hordes of the Underdark, the official Bioware expansion.

News Comments > Borderlands Patch Next Month
5. Re: Borderlands Patch Next Month Oct 27, 2010, 18:50 Icewind

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2010, 18:02:
Eh, didn't this level increase patch already get released? Right before Claptrap's DLC was available???

Creston

Well, it's funny you should mention this, since it's causing quite the stir in the official forums.

See, they originally said it would be released the same time as the GOTY version...it wasn't.

Then they said "October"...well, it wasn't.

Now they just say "November".

I made the mistake of buying the Claptrap DLC because I thought it would have the level cap increase within it, but it doesn't. Since I don't want to waste the quest experience I'll get in it I've been letting it sit on my HD gathering dust. I won't play the new DLC until the cap is raised.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Oct 26, 2010, 21:32 Icewind

I just recently figured out how to get Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight working in Vista64, so I'll be busy playing that instead.

It's a shame that companies don't go back and look at what made that (and to a lesser extent, Outcast) work so well.

The powerful one-slice-and-a-limb-is-cut-off lightsabers and the Indiana Jones style jumping/leaping/running that was so fluid and nonstop.

I didn't particularly care for TFU1, but beat it anyway. I hear my one big gripe with it (The lock-on) hasn't been fixed, so I don't see what they spent their money on this time.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 26, 2010, 01:05 Icewind

The forgotten 6th reason:

6: Because hipsters don't look cool unless they have apple products glued to their palms.

News Comments > Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark
13. Re: Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark Oct 25, 2010, 14:34 Icewind

If Blizzard can fight Valve for the DOTA trademark, than I guess that means John Carmack & Id can fight Valve for Team Fortress, since TF was originally a part of Quake and therefore built and played by the old Quake community.

You hear that Carmack? Sue them!

Christ. Blizzard needs to just STFU and finish D3.

News Comments > Diablo III Details, Trailer
9. Re: Diablo III Details, Trailer Oct 23, 2010, 04:43 Icewind

Health Orbs.

No attribute point distribution

Giant spiky WoW-style shoulder pads

Automatic skill learning at lvl up/No skill trees.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
10. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 22, 2010, 00:13 Icewind

Dungeon Keeper was pure genius, he shouldn't sell himself short.

Now his current gen stuff is mostly dumbed down kiddie-shit, but his god games? Awesome stuff. Especially the first DK.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
26. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 05:10 Icewind

It's just their shitty coding, that's all.

Modders and end-users have to fix their shit because they're too busy staring wistfully at Planescape threads on the codex.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
24. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 03:58 Icewind

The dx9 .dll doesn't do anything for me since (snip)

EDIT: Ok I get it, it emulated a dx9 card so it will use the DX9 native drivers instead of the DX9 emulated through DX 10 drivers. Makes sense now.

Odd that I can play FO3 with 8GB of ultra-high res fan-made textures and it runs as smooth as silk, but plain vanilla FO:NV with its console-rific washed out year 2003 comparable textures force me to do tricks like that to get 60fps. Very odd.

Doesn't free up ram properly either after exiting. No surprise there.

Is there a FO:NV mod out that does what "Fellout" did with FO3? In other words, bring true color back and get rid of the brown muck?

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2010, 04:37.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Tools
24. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Tools Oct 20, 2010, 04:12 Icewind

Wolfen wrote on Oct 20, 2010, 02:42:
If any of you having problems with autosaves and quicksaves and also settings not sticking. If your using steam, id say stick to looking there. Disable its cloud based settings for that game. I removed everything from the my docs folder for the game and exited steam, then put it all back in. I havnt seen any problems since in those regards.

I tried that, as did others on Gfaqs, but it isnt working. At least not in their, and my case.

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Beta Signups
4. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Beta Signups Oct 19, 2010, 22:32 Icewind

Wow, Section 8 is getting a sequel?

Someone must have a lot of money to burn, because you'd have to be a nitwit to buy it.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details
30. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details Oct 19, 2010, 01:13 Icewind

I used to get crashes to desktop in FO3, until I grabbed that RAM extender mod. Lets the game read more RAM. You needed it for the texture pack, and it fixed the game perfectly for me. Enough to make me go through it a 2nd and 3rd time with a couple dozen improvement mods.  

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details
23. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details Oct 18, 2010, 23:44 Icewind

Mods > DLC

FACT.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended
18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended Oct 18, 2010, 01:29 Icewind

space captain wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 20:48:
Disgaea is cool and all, but its ultra gonzo compared to FFT.. and thats saying something

plus its not even close to being as well known as a setting as FF is

they missed a big opportunity for profits IMO

Actually, it's surpassed FFT in popularity, by far. They are still pumping out half-assed sequels, spin-offs and remakes left and right.

FFT, well, that boat sailed long ago. Square is only interested in dragging the JRPG genre through the mud.

It's what they do.

1427 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo