Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1393 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
24. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Oct 21, 2010, 03:58 Icewind

The dx9 .dll doesn't do anything for me since (snip)

EDIT: Ok I get it, it emulated a dx9 card so it will use the DX9 native drivers instead of the DX9 emulated through DX 10 drivers. Makes sense now.

Odd that I can play FO3 with 8GB of ultra-high res fan-made textures and it runs as smooth as silk, but plain vanilla FO:NV with its console-rific washed out year 2003 comparable textures force me to do tricks like that to get 60fps. Very odd.

Doesn't free up ram properly either after exiting. No surprise there.

Is there a FO:NV mod out that does what "Fellout" did with FO3? In other words, bring true color back and get rid of the brown muck?

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2010, 04:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Tools
24. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Tools Oct 20, 2010, 04:12 Icewind

Wolfen wrote on Oct 20, 2010, 02:42:
If any of you having problems with autosaves and quicksaves and also settings not sticking. If your using steam, id say stick to looking there. Disable its cloud based settings for that game. I removed everything from the my docs folder for the game and exited steam, then put it all back in. I havnt seen any problems since in those regards.

I tried that, as did others on Gfaqs, but it isnt working. At least not in their, and my case.

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Beta Signups
4. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Beta Signups Oct 19, 2010, 22:32 Icewind

Wow, Section 8 is getting a sequel?

Someone must have a lot of money to burn, because you'd have to be a nitwit to buy it.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details
30. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details Oct 19, 2010, 01:13 Icewind

I used to get crashes to desktop in FO3, until I grabbed that RAM extender mod. Lets the game read more RAM. You needed it for the texture pack, and it fixed the game perfectly for me. Enough to make me go through it a 2nd and 3rd time with a couple dozen improvement mods.  

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details
23. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details Oct 18, 2010, 23:44 Icewind

Mods > DLC

FACT.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended
18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended Oct 18, 2010, 01:29 Icewind

space captain wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 20:48:
Disgaea is cool and all, but its ultra gonzo compared to FFT.. and thats saying something

plus its not even close to being as well known as a setting as FF is

they missed a big opportunity for profits IMO

Actually, it's surpassed FFT in popularity, by far. They are still pumping out half-assed sequels, spin-offs and remakes left and right.

FFT, well, that boat sailed long ago. Square is only interested in dragging the JRPG genre through the mud.

It's what they do.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended
12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch Plans, Trial Extended Oct 17, 2010, 20:11 Icewind

space captain wrote on Oct 17, 2010, 18:26:
still trying to figure out why square never capitalized on the hyper-popularity of FF Tactics

NIS and Atlus beat them to the punch with Disgaea.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Lost Planet 2
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Lost Planet 2 Oct 17, 2010, 13:21 Icewind

The Japanese cannot make good shooters.

Just look at Quantum Theory.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4
27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Oct 16, 2010, 20:34 Icewind

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Oct 16, 2010, 14:12:

Nonsense.

I've been playing RPGs all my life. Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, Gothic saga, The Witcher, Dragon Age and right about every PC RPG in between those. Do I enjoy Arcania? Fuck yes. Do I have the gaming experience to be "worthy" enough to judge this RPG? Evidently so.

Simple isn't always bad, just as complex isn't always good.

"If you haven't any standards"... "It's fraud". Cry me a river.

25 years experience here. I say the game *is* trash. Watered down trash. I'm level 9, playing on Gothic difficulty, and cake-walking through it.

Your last comment shows how inexperienced you are. There is such as thing as a game being complex in both good and bad ways, as well as a game being simple in both good or bad ways.

A "Good" complex game: ToEE
A "Bad" complex game: Elemental war of Magic

A "Good" simple game: Diablo
A "Bad" simple game: Arcania Gothic 4

If you had been playing CRPG back in the Ultima 3/4 days, you'd know how simplistic and bland the world simulation aspect of this game is. Go play Ultima 7, which the developers based Gothic 1 on, and you'll see what I mean.

Then again, I'm talking to a purebred noob here.

News Comments > Grotesque Tactics Evil Heroes and Demo Released
3. Re: Grotesque Tactics Evil Heroes and Demo Released Oct 16, 2010, 20:29 Icewind

If it wasn't for New Vegas, I'd have time for this. It looks great though.

Maybe after I finish FO:NV I'll jump in.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
26. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 13:37 Icewind

psulli wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 13:28:
I think all of the bioware people are really trying to make great games still. I think that they have been yoked, though. And I expect epic cRPGs to emerge from a different segment of the market.

Or fuck it I'll wait for Diablo 3.

That other market is Europe, usually. We still have Piranha Bytes (Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-2) and we have GSC Gameworld (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series) and CD PRojekt (Witcher 1-2) so hope isn't lost yet.

As for Diablo 3, I wouldn't get too excited if I were you. With all this "Health Orbs replacing Health Potions" and "PvP isn't worth it" being mouthed off by their talking heads on the game website interviews I'm starting to think D3 will be a stinker too.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
23. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 13:24 Icewind

I hope the combat isn't so incredibly easy and "hands-off" as the first game was. Good lord, you could sail through the game, even on the hardest difficulty, by just setting up decent scripts. Micro-managing wasn't even necessary the way it was in the BG/IWD/PS:T games.

I don't mind playing a pre-designed hero, but for Christ's sake Bioware....put in some real CRPG combat.

News Comments > The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com
9. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 22:35 Icewind

Flatline wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 21:50:
This game was brutal.

Roll up a starting party of characters, and you have to move from town to the temple. So I do so. I hit a random encounter: Giant toads that win initiative, and proceed to swallow up 2/3 of my party and kills them. Then it's the first turn of the game for me.

Never got much further than that.

IT's not that hard. I've beaten it three times. The mistake you made was creating garbage characters.

ToEE is a game where you need to know how to game the system and manipulate the rolls. Once you "spec" a proper group the game goes from hard to "cakewalk"

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 13, 2010, 17:55 Icewind

The fact that he can't spell Taliban is reason enough to laugh at him.

Him and Brad Wardell probably sit at home and watch Glenn Beck together.

News Comments > DOTA 2 Announced
16. Re: DOTA 2 Announced Oct 13, 2010, 17:44 Icewind

wolve wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 17:23:
Yifes wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 16:04:
Also, these articles claim that Icefrog was working for S2, makers of HoN (another DotA clone) for years, meaning that S2 may own the rights to some of DotA's heroes:

http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=159905

Wow, just wow. I'm still working through the second link, but this is some serious dirty crap Icefrog is pulling. And Valve seems to be backing him up all the way. Glad I have zero interest in this new game (and DOTA in general).

I just read all of that and I'm torn between laughing or crying. Wow.

Valve really screwed the pooch there. Good luck to them, they'll need it.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Oct 13, 2010, 16:50 Icewind

Developers want to make money so they dumb their games down to reach the extremely large (At least in comparison with the "hardcore market") mainstream market.

Oblivion was the first big game to do this successfully, and the hobby has been suffering from it ever since.

Others tried to do it before but failed. Ultima 8/9, Might & Magic 9, Wizardry Nemesis...but it was Oblivion that finally made it acceptable. It achieved cross-over success.

Like White Rappers and pop-country singers, Bethesda managed to pretend to be something they aren't yet still be included within a genre they no longer cater to.

News Comments > EA Bashing
60. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 15:01 Icewind

Kajetan wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 14:53:
Icewind wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 14:46:
This just confirms my already strong suspicion that the game will be a stinker.
MMOs have to succeed in terms of content and gameplay, not graphics. Just look at Age of Conan. Looks stunning and gorgeous, but ... well, you know the story.

True, but have you seen the combat videos? It looks every bit as stiff and uninvolving as the original KOTOR.

Don't get me wrong, KOTOR was great....9 years ago when it came out. However now in the age of "Contextual animations" you expect combat to look a little more dynamic. Like The Witcher or Arkham Asylum. I just don't get excited when looking at the combat videos for Old Republic. It looks tired and very "early 2000's" to me.

If they can't even get that right, I doubt they'll get the rest correct either. It'll probably be another Jade Empire for Bioware.

News Comments > EA Bashing
57. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 14:46 Icewind

I've seen several of the E3 videos for the Old Republic Star Wars MMO and it looked very underwhelming. 300 Million and the graphics still look like the Xbox version of KOTOR1? I understand they want it low spec to compete with WoW, but shouldn't it be a bit more modern?

This just confirms my already strong suspicion that the game will be a stinker.

Guild Wars 2 is probably the only MMO I'm looking forward to.

News Comments > Betrayal in Antara on GOG.com
2. Re: Betrayal in Antara on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 01:36 Icewind

Wow, I was just looking at my own copy the other day. Haven't played it since 1997 when i had a windows 95 pc. You can't run it on anything newer unless you use virtual pc.

When I get some free time, this is a definite buy.

News Comments > ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Patch
1. Re: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Patch Oct 13, 2010, 01:01 Icewind

Word is the reason they delayed it in the US is due to the fact that the game was almost unplayable without this patch and they wanted the patch out before the game. A lot of posters on World of Gothic are saying that the demo was a more advanced build and the retail game is an older version that is highly unoptimized.

1393 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo