Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1494 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
36. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 25, 2014, 20:28 Icewind

I must live in Bizarro world, since every online game I've ever played has been the opposite.

The men are called f** and p**** and b**** while the women are showered with free gifts, preferential treatment and slavish adoration.

I learned though. Me and a friend of mine I've known since UO now make a sexy female alt character and pretend to be female just to get all the free gear and gold that the others get, then use it for our main characters.

He's better at it than me though, since he once got some dope to give up his in-game house and *every item and goldpiece he had*.

So yeah, I don't see the "Women are treated like crap online" thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 20:39 Icewind

Hey hey big EA, how many franchises did you kill today?  

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
26. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 17:21 Icewind

Danger Dog beat me to posting that Jade comic. I remember that, and the stink it caused. Me? I laughed my butt off at it.

I'm half shocked that none of the self-righteous SJWs have used that incident in their fight. Goes to show you how much of a game industry newbie these young hipsters truly are.

That being said, Jade was okay. At least she wasn't a walking set of boobs like Stevie Case.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
40. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 20:46 Icewind

loomy wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:38:
intolerant assholes on all sides are responsible for this mess. it's not about games. it's a religious war against disagreement. everyone needs to shut the fuck up and leave people be

Bingo.

Every hobby will always have people that like "A" style.
It will also have people that like "B" style.
People who like "A" style hate people who like "B" style, and vice-versa.

So the folks who want more "Gone Home" style games about lesbians and sexual tolerance need to learn to accept the folks that want CoD killfests and Bayonetta crotchshot games just as much as the latter group needs to accept the former.

But no, that would be too easy, and everyone wants to bitch. I've grown tired of it.

News Comments > etc.
48. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 11:06 Icewind

harlock wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 09:09:
sdgundamx wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 20:13:
Also just FYI the term "professional victim" is commonly used to describe people who don't take responsibility for the things that happen to them even in the cases that what happened was likely their own fault (i.e. failing a test and blaming it on the teacher rather than a lack of studying). I don't think you're trying to imply that the abuse hurled at these women is their own fault, so maybe professional victim isn't the right term for what you're describing?

Its absolutely the right term, and the "abuse" is absolutely their own fault

talking heads thrive on attention of any sort: good, bad, ambivalent, etc.. its all profitable for them, so yes - they are "professional victims" in the most obvious way possible

First: The abuse is mostly faked and done by sockpuppet accounts that these people create to drum up sympathy and to give them ammo.

Second: It's the internet. Who here hasn't had a death threat or four a year? What pencil neck geek is going to actually fly out and knock on your door? Unless you piss off a military man (The only instances it's happened) you don't have anything to worry about.

News Comments > GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000
5. Re: GOG.com Offers Free Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 Icewind

InBlack wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:48:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:20:
One thing I did find amusing is how fast the Marine runs. I think he could outpace the Quake guy.

You say that like its a bad thing...

Also really? This is the first game you played with acceleration?? That's kind of weird, by this time the Voodoo 3 was ruling supreme and Nvidia's TNT cards were quickly catching up, also Unreal was pretty much king of graphics and most games supported Glide or OpenGL. DirectX kind of sucked back then....

My first 3D card was a Voodoo2 back in.....1997, not sure when, probably late. I know the very first game I played it with was Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Back then you were hot **** if you had a Voodoo card. Gaming elite.

I remember going to Software etc. and just bragging about it to all the other store regulars, who were all hardcore PC gamers. Boy, those were the days.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2014, 23:27 Icewind

NKD wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 19:44:
Yeah lady, you weren't the only one tweeting about what was going on, yet somehow you're the only one who gets kept from boarding. Methinks your Twitter coverage wasn't the reason you were kept from boarding.

Saw her on the local news. She was a loud mouth, for sure.

No doubt she was mouthing off at the pilot.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 4, 2014, 15:49 Icewind

I gave up following this stuff. I get what both sides want (One side wants censorship of games they deem unhealthy and encourage stereotyping, the other side wants the games preserved and untouched in much the same way "art" is protected) but it's just become a giant clusterfuck of idiocy.

If only Kotaku never existed, we wouldn't have to see this kind of stuff. 90% of customers don't even know this GamerGate thing is going on.

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Sep 29, 2014, 23:39 Icewind

NetHead wrote on Sep 29, 2014, 23:27:
After waiting 5 months since the 14.4 drivers I was hoping for fixes for things like constant BSODs even just from Youtube, and for someone else on a new card for the past 2.5 months daily system freezes, new Firefox crashes, oh and heaven help them if they enable the screensaver.

Wonder how much longer (months, years?) I'll have to stick with 13.12 to avoid one or another serious problem, excluding playing a bunch of older games since I've pretty much given up there.

But hey, they've improved performance by 4% in a benchmark, that makes it all worthwhile.

Next time I upgrade I don't see myself buying another ATi/AMD.

edit....
Downloading and "Server can not guarantee its resuming capabilities. Response is invalid."

Not even supporting resume, yet another cherry on this cake.

Those aren't the drivers, that's your card.

News Comments > Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players
25. Re: Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players Sep 27, 2014, 10:55 Icewind

shinchan0s wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 10:08:
I like PoE. The materia system took some getting used to, but it does add a ton of depth and customization. My beef? The drops. D3 drops a legendary every 5 minutes, but PoE is 2x stingier than D2. At least low-mid level uniques/gems are obtainable through trading - they're very cheap in standard league - so the game is a lot of fun to someone who just wants to blast through the 3 act campaign on Normal and Cruel by themselves.

PoE's writing/story (or lack thereof) is also 10000000000000000000000000000x better than D3's.

2x? Try 50x

Plus the legendaries you get are usually far below your level.
My level 71 Maruader has to rely mainly on generous friends who give him good loot and crafting to get anywhere. Thankfully, that crafting system is very easy to exploit, since I have a chest armor piece with 6 slots (4 linked and 2 linked) that has 1200+ armor thanks to OCD-leveling tweaking.

Were it not for that crafting system being so beautifully broken, I don't know if I'd still be playing since the drop rate is so abysmally bad.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video
8. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video Sep 17, 2014, 23:19 Icewind

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 22:08:
Looks extremely good, although that's what I said about Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 before they released playable versions. Each of those games seems to be (so far) falling WAY short of what most people were hoping for

Wait. I can see Wasteland 2, but you think Eternity fell short? How so? Was it due to the pause based combat? Because I thought Eternity was amazing.

News Comments > Trion Worlds DDoSed
5. Re: Trion Worlds DDoSed Sep 14, 2014, 14:29 Icewind

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 10:58:
Wonder if it's from the same folks who did this to Blizzard when 2.1 went live.

That was Lizard Squad, and they were just a few guys using the LOIC.

More than likely, it's just some dip**** screwing around and thinks because he's behind proxies that he can't be caught.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Specs
6. Re: Alien Isolation Specs Sep 10, 2014, 22:38 Icewind

35GB. Wow. I guess the days of sub 20GB installs are gone. I easily meet the recommended requirements, but with a 250GB HD that only has 65GB left on a good day, I'm really going to have to invest in more storage.

I really hate to, but it's getting annoying having to uninstall 2-3 of my favorite games to make room for a new one that may or may not suck.

News Comments > Skyforge Paladin Class Video
2. Re: Skyforge Paladin Class Video Sep 8, 2014, 23:31 Icewind

Exactly how deeply is Obsidian involved in this? Hopefully not much.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 20:45 Icewind

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 20:16:

What they don't acknowledge is the obvious - that the lack of disclosure of these points was calculated and deliberate because they had an agenda. A simple oversight is forgivable; intentionally neglecting to point out very important facts that could serve to weaken your agenda is just slimy.

This.

I really just want all of them to admit they're just liberal politically correct agenda pushers trying to control the community narrative by any means possible.

Places like them, Kotaku and Polygon are why I don't even bother reading game sites anymore. Basically it's Blues, Evil Avatar and maybe Shacknews. The rest are just sh*t rags.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 19:17 Icewind

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 19:03:
Icewind wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 18:42:
That's the article I saw endlessly retweeted, yes. I actually meant to write Polygon, but the brain isn't what it used to be.

All I want to see is people stick to their guns and stay away from the clickbait sites and stay with the authentic news blogs. I think after this they will, too.

A lot of the stories that show up here on Blues come from Kotaku, Gamasutra, Polygon, etc. It's natural for people wanting to read more about gaming to visit sites like those from here.

Yeah, but not the clickbait ones. Ones where the lack of women soldiers in WW2 games are lamented, or how Dragon's Crown is exploiting women.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 18:42 Icewind

That's the article I saw endlessly retweeted, yes. I actually meant to write Polygon, but the brain isn't what it used to be.

All I want to see is people stick to their guns and stay away from the clickbait sites and stay with the authentic news blogs. I think after this they will, too.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2014, 18:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 18:30 Icewind

Personally, I've grown tired of all this.

Just remove Kotaku and Gamasutra from your RSS/Bookmarks/whatever and move on, IMHO.

Me, I never went to these sites anyway. I think everyone who was wise to the scene knew that Kotaku was just a giant clickbaiting site writing fluff articles about false injustices.

I've been coming to Blues since 1999 and though I flirt with other places, this is still my favorite site for game news. Between this and Shacknews and Evil Avatar, I'm good.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 12:26 Icewind

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:18:
Great write up. As the author says, I'm tired of editorial opinion pieces that have little to do with gaming itself and just attempt to force a social agenda on you. I was a huge fan of RPS but they pushed me into foregoing their site entirely.

Same with me. I always thought RPS was the alternative site for the rest of us, but it didn't take long for them to copy what everyone else was doing. Hiring Cara and having her write absolutely horrid pieces like this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/ really killed it for me.

News Comments > Chaos Rising Removes GFWL
4. Re: Chaos Rising Removes GFWL Sep 5, 2014, 12:17 Icewind

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:11:
I barely even notice getting a Steam achievement, still haven't added an option for a sound notification after all these years.

I didn't even *know* there was an option for having it make a sound.

Wouldn't enable it anyway. I'm on the PC to get away from that stuff.

1494 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo