Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1472 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
129. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 20:01 Icewind

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 19:56:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 19:25:

Regardless, as has been shown very often, it's difficult for a woman to get into making games, and difficult for them to stay. This tends to be a factor in why so few women do it. Getting the experience and funding to make your own game is difficult without a track record of making your own game.

There's more to it than that. Programs for exposing girls to computer-based technology careers at a young age have been few and far between up until very recently (My daughter really wanted to take up Google on their offer to teach her to code for free that came about in light of their diversity study findings). Currently according to the Labor Dept. only 20% of software developers cuirrently are women, and likely those are the infrequent females who for whatever reason knew they wanted to code from a young age. Only a small fraction of that already small number would ever consider making games for a living. Young, school-age girls need to be shown what's out there in the computer tech world early in school so more will come to realize this is what they want to do. Once that happens, there will be more women in game development. It's just a matter of time given that almost half of all gamers are female now.

Yes, but the reason you don't see many females in the tech field is not due to some ancient male conspiracy or even a glass ceiling. It's due to most women simply not being interested in the field. What's next, we start a support group for women who play with tonka trucks and want to move away from barbies? It's just the way things are. We're wired differently and most women aren't interested in being coders.

You can keep shortening the stick that dangles that carrot, and you can make the carrot bigger, but they aren't going to bite it if they don't want to.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
64. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:32 Icewind

NKD wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 16:21:
This whole conversation gets so very old.

In all this debate, bitching, and whining, no one has ever stated any kind of goal. What is the goal? Have a wide variety of games that appeal to different ages, cultures, and genders? Have a wide selection of games that don't depict women as perpetual victims or sex objects?

Congratulations, we already have that. But people are still bitching.

^This

It's hipsters. A bunch of liberal, lefty bleeding hearts that think the entire world has to be ponies and flowers. Liberalism is a disease and now you see what happens when an entire young generation grows up with lefty brainwashing.

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:29 Icewind

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 16:25:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:07:
Is there anyone who openly despises their fanbase more than game developers and journalists?

Well, when devs get death threats from fans over minor changes, can you blame them?

Oh please, isn't the online death threat thing so 1990s? If I had a nickel for every time someone threatened my life online (99% of the time through a game), I'd have enough money to buy Blue's website.

Let's be real, trotting out this death threat crap is like trying to prove you're rich by showing me a bunch of empty $100 bill wrappers. This stuff is old hat. Plus, it's the internet. Having someone tell you they'll kill you is basically the handshake of the internet. If you actually take it seriously you're either new to the internet or your too overly sensitive for it.

News Comments > Gauntlet Next Month
4. Re: Gauntlet Next Month Aug 28, 2014, 22:13 Icewind

I watched the Twitch playthrough they did earlier this month and was not impressed. I grew up with gauntlet, and have very fond memories with the arcade and N64 versions, but to play that plain vanilla style of ARPG again? Naw.

I'm sure there are other 40+ yr old folks who will get it, but I'll still with Path of Exile.

Before the playthrough I thought it was going to be a typical ARPG with loot and levels and skill trees.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 27, 2014, 12:46 Icewind

I'm still a bit skittish about getting this one. I have a character I took through DA:O and DA2 and they are ready to be imported, but I just don't trust BioWare after ME3 and DA2. With the doctors having left and EA bragging about DLC goals, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach here.

I'm open to it though. They just have to prove it to me.

News Comments > West Games' License Expires
5. Re: West Games' License Expires Aug 23, 2014, 19:18 Icewind

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 16:01:
The authorities should be stepping in and seeing if charges should be brought against them for fraud. The major problem with crowdfunding atm is it's the wild west and it's only going to get worse until enough people get burned before the feds step in and regulate it as they should be now.

Everyone who gave them money via Kickstarter got their funds returned to them, via the rules of the site itself.

If you mean the $12,900 they've gained through their web page donation button...well, those folks kind of deserved to get fleeced. Only an absolute idiot (or Putin himself) would give money to West Games through their shady, under-developed, spartan-esque website.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 20:40 Icewind

No evidence?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvmxnjOIcAAxVy5.jpg:large

Not all gaming journalists are unreliable or untrustworthy. There are good sites out there, such as RPGWatch, the Codex, Nichegamer, and maybe N4G.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
22. removed Aug 22, 2014, 17:21 Icewind

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 23, 2014, 13:02.

News Comments > Diablo III Gold Bonus
6. Re: Diablo III Gold Bonus Aug 22, 2014, 01:07 Icewind

I actually bought the new one out of the Playstation and it's pretty fun. I still play the shit out of PoE, but it's fairly obvious they only cared about this new console version. Even the controls are slick as hell, and I'm a KB+Mouse guy.  

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released
2. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released Aug 21, 2014, 09:47 Icewind

You get your own player houses/camps, you get a ton of new crafting options, a dozen or so new questlines related to new NPCs and the usual skill tweaks.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:32 Icewind

Quinn wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 14:48:
I'm loving Risen 3 so much! The graphics and animations look really good, combat is great once you get good in it (awesome to parry at the exact right moment after a streak of attacks so that your character ripostes with another hit), allot of places to explore and chests to lockpick, etc etc.

Risen 1 was great, Risen 2 was a shame, Risen 3 is great once again. I hear allot of people are complaining about combat being too hard. Some don't seem to understand that you don't need to keep holding the mousebutton in order to execute heavy strikes -- once your hand starts glowing and your animation turns into slowmotion, it's actually the que to to let the mousebutton go! Also, dodge or parry after an enemy dodges your attack because they're on you before your next swing lands.

Agreed. I am completely baffled as to how people are having problems with the combat. I'm an arthritic 38yr old who never plays action games and even I had to put it on hard to get a challenge from it.

The very slow rhythm to the swings, the wide riposte window of opportunity, the soft-lock focus attacking, it just really works really well. I HATED combat in Risen 2 and well, most PB games, really...but in here it works so beautifully.

I just ranked up in my chosen faction (Demon hunters) and I'd say this is my second favorite PB game, after Gothic 2 NOTR.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Next Month
9. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Next Month Aug 17, 2014, 00:47 Icewind

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 22:09:
I tried the base campaign a few months ago and couldn't stand the clearly designed for tablets UI. So has that already been overhauled or if that just going to be in the Director's Cut?

Unfortunately, no. They've already stated when asked about similar concerns surrounding the basic campaign (Dead Man's Switch) that it's done and they have no intention to change anything with it. After the Director's cut of Dragonfall they said they are beginning work on their next project.

News Comments > Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game
8. Re: Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game Aug 16, 2014, 17:00 Icewind

bhcompy wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 15:39:
So how much did MS pay to get the Xbone Collector's Edition? Hopefully not more than a few hundred bucks given the installbase

MS is desperate. They're losing to the PS4 and they are doing whatever they can to claw back.

News Comments > Risen 3 Rises in EU
6. Re: Risen 3 Rises in EU Aug 15, 2014, 22:45 Icewind

Neilsouth wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 13:44:
If you're interesting in buying this game..

Crap combat and bad camera, such as stun lock/camera getting stuck behind objects and your character can also get stuck.

Gameplay wise, graphics and sound is pretty good.

It's a 7/10 game with shit combat but worthy of a buy, way better than Risen 2

How are you getting stunlocked? I don't get that. I've spent 25 hours in the game so far and the combat is so smooth, so satisfying and so easy that I WISH they would remake gothic 1-3 with this same system. It's that fluid and simple.

It's the first Piranha Bytes game where I haven't slammed my fist on the keyboard due to cheap deaths.

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
24. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 20:17 Icewind

Fletch wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 20:03:
Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 18:46:
Stop giving the guy so much credit for shit he did 20 years ago, people.

I'm still playing the games he made 20 years ago, and they are still a blast. Daikatana was lame, but he's still a game God as far as I'm concerned. Any time his name is even mentioned, you Debbi Doomers (swidt?) come out of the woodwork with the "bitch" and Daikatana comments, or "done nothing since id" bullshit, as if you've forgotten he's made some of the best fucking games of all time. He hasn't made a PC shooter since Daikatana. And with the new Doom looking shittier and shittier the more I learn about it, I can't wait to see what he does (as long as it's a PC game).

Damn, I'm kind of in the mood for yet another playthrough of Quake Dark Places now...

you forgot the asterisks around the word *made*.

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
12. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 19:21 Icewind

Maybe if he focuses on the game's design instead of Killcreek's fake tits he might actually push out a quality product.  

News Comments > SSI Vets form TSI
6. Re: SSI Vets form TSI Aug 8, 2014, 16:48 Icewind

ldonyo wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:25:
Awesome! I still have a bunch of my gold box games and associated decoder wheels, manuals and hint books. I also have my "Ultimate RPG Collection", which had 9 classic D&D CRPG games from the DOS days. OI got that back when CDs were still new tech and games still came on a slew of 3.5" floppies more often than not.

I had a guy I knew offer me a lot of money for that book. I bought the archives back in 1997 and it's still one of my favorite PC gaming possessions.

I grew up on the goldbox games (C64) and they always have had a place in my heart. I still have the Pool of Radiance box w/ manual and wheel sitting in my desk. I used to take pics of it and post it online just to get people to drool.

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 23:10 Icewind

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 23:01:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 21:04:
I wonder if his resignation letter was on red, blue or green paper.
I'm pretty sure it will also include liberal use of the "awesome button."

And was written by Jennifer Hepler, who complained that Casey wanted to, quote, "find her family and kill her"

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2014, 13:05 Icewind

The one good thing about Sacred 3 is people are finally listening to me on the forums when I tell them to check out Unbended instead.

I was on there 2 months ago telling them to go there and see the "real" Sacred 3, made by the original developers, but no one gave a crap.

Now everyone is talking about it/linking it.

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced
6. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced Aug 1, 2014, 13:18 Icewind

I'm hoping I don't have to rearrange the layout of my Marauder's skill tree too much this time.

Planning out all 80+ of my passive skill choices at once is kinda tiresome.

1472 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo