Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1488 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
70. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 21:25 Icewind

This guy needs to get off of his freeware soapbox. So...having nonfree games on your free operating system supposedly "sullies" it?

Yes, let's just run those shitty "free" games you linked and play a bunch of crap for the next ten years so we can be hipster elitist idiots like you.

I'd love to dump windows and would love to run Linux. If Valve starts putting games on it, chances are good I'll download it and give it a try. This ADDS people to your elitist club, mr hipster. There is no downside to this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
33. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:47 Icewind

The MMO has been dead as a genre for years. I know, tell me how everyone and your mother plays WoW and that Guild Wars was bluesnews.com's special game...but you know WOW is only popular due to gamer peer pressure and GW is, well...an old folks game.

The genre is dead.

Now can we make some singleplayer games for fuck's sake?

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
4. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 20:40 Icewind

Rpgwatch, RPS...all the sites I go to that announced this are full of people who are bad mouthing this. They say it's too expensive (Really??? Do they work in McDonalds?) or it has no real additions, or it isn't anywhere as good as the originals with WeiDu mods.

Well, for me that isn't the case.

I have been playing BGTuTu for three years now and the infamous Beregost bug is a common occurrence for me. No mod maker or patcher has been able to get rid of this bug and it has corrupted many of my saves as well as locked up windows. I would gladly pay 20 bucks just to have this bug removed.

Another thing that I can't seem to get around in BG1 is how pushing the game to higher resolutions (with the use of mods) has a tendency to make the game unstable or cause problems with scripts and the fog of war. Once again, I'd pay 20 bucks for a new version to remove this problem.

Throw in 3 new characters and new areas and I'm in. I always wanted BG1 to be better balanced for monks and obviously it will be considering the first new character is a monk.

Though like others, I'll be waiting for a Steam release.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Interactive Trailer
1. Re: Crysis 3 Interactive Trailer Jul 26, 2012, 12:31 Icewind

The environments will still be claustrophobically small like the second one.

The only good thing is hey...this will actually support DX 11 out of the box!

The game looks like an expansion pack for Crysis 2. Wonder if, like that game, you can complete it on the hardest level without firing a single shot and cloak past everything?

It was the only FPS I ever finished the hardest level in.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
65. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 19:53 Icewind

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:46:
People defending Windows ME, I've truly seen everything now.

You haven't been here long enough then. I've been here since the forced registration was enacted and I've seen these guys defend some truly abysmal things.

Like Jade Empire, Timeshift, GFWL, DLC, and even Starforce if you can believe it.

Windows is a dinosaur that needs to be put to rest, for just the lackluster backwards compatibility alone.

It would be nice to no longer have to dual a Linux/Windows dual boot and instead just use Linux for my gaming. I hope to see such a day come to pass, even if it is 50 years from now.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
32. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 19:30 Icewind

As much as I want the game I do have to admit this is really slimy of Gearbox. Clearly this is on disc locked content that was purposefully cut out of the game.

Welcome to the new normal in PC gaming folks.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Screenshot
4. Re: Wasteland 2 Screenshot Jul 20, 2012, 16:57 Icewind

Not to contribute to the echo in here but I too didn't expect it to look this good. Then again I never had any experience with this Unity engine they chose to use either, so that's primarily why I guess.

While I need my turn based combat and my choice & consequence gameplay I also need the world to look alive. The game has to look appealing or I just won't enjoy it.

Overall, it looks great. I'm confident inExile can pull this off. Money well spent.

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
39. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 20:46 Icewind

I love how all the white knights were laughing at those of us who said this game would be F2P soon after launch.

Don't ever underestimate EA's ability to fail.

News Comments > Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks
25. Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition & Steamworks May 31, 2012, 20:41 Icewind

Smellfinger wrote on May 31, 2012, 13:57:
Yakubs wrote on May 31, 2012, 13:09:
I wish they would port Demon's Souls too

What I'd like to see is a From Software 'Orange Box' with all of the King's Field games ported to modern hardware along with both of the Souls games. Those games deserve it.

This.

King's Field, IMO, is much better than either "Souls" game. I played Demons Souls after people told me it was the new Kings Field...and you know what? It wasn't.

So I played King's Field in a PS1 emulator.

News Comments > Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights
9. Re: Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights May 30, 2012, 22:27 Icewind

Sepharo wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:00:
Silicon Knights is now on the hook for $4.45 million in damages

Ouch...

I'm not sure of what Silicon Knights had as evidence of Epic's promised support but I'm guessing it probably went down like this.

Epic: "Hey if you guys license our engine you'll practically be a partner studio with us... We'll help you out with everything, share synergies and all that!"

SK: "Cool, where do we sign"

-months later deep into development-

SK: "So about that help?"

Epic: "Ahh, we're kind of busy right now... But feel free to check out the wiki."

You're the only person here that really gets it, apparently.

While I'm not going to defend Silicon Knights (I loved Sanity's Requiem, BTW) I can see where they're coming from. Unreal Engine is hideously out of date and unoptimized. Even on the PC you see horrible texture pop-in and it's been known for years now that UE3 can't use Anti-aliasing. That's why you'll notice in UE 3 games on the PC there is no option for it. It's an oft-cited gripe.

Factor in the poor cacheing, the fact that it's still geared for consoles and has to be optimized for PC by the company using it (Ever notice how the FOV and frame rate lock need to be fixed in patches in UE3 games months after launch? Like Borderlands and Bioshock 2?) and you can actually see where Silicon Knights is coming from....

...but in all reality, you'd have to expect them to know this. Everyone knows UE3 is a hideously flawed piece of crap. It's the Wal-mart of 3D game engines.

So I can't really have any sympathy for Silicon Knights since they knew damn well what they were getting into. Though I imagine like the post I quoted, Epic probably fed them all kinds of lies that made them think they would be given priority.

News Comments > Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced
2. Re: Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced May 17, 2012, 11:37 Icewind

RailWizard wrote on May 17, 2012, 11:32:
Disgusting. Fuck gearbox.

aaaaaaaaaaand guess what?

I'll be buying the Ultimate Loot Chest Edition.

Continue hating.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
199. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 19:22 Icewind

Dumbed down skills trees (Actually, what skill trees? LOL) no assigning of attributes....graphics that are barely equal to Torchlight.

Pass.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete
7. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 15:11 Icewind

WarpCrow wrote on Apr 29, 2012, 15:06:
In my dreams, this game will be a huge commercial success and inspire a publisher like Bethesda to invest in a big budget open world RPG. Complete freedom of character development, combined with a party system, set in the Shadowrun universe with two or three diverse cities/regions to explore...

Well see, that's kinda the opposite point of what it's trying to prove. We want a TURN BASED, TRUE RPG with deep stats. Something Bethesda isn't ever going to do. Or, really, any company outside of indie devs for that matter.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete
5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstart Complete Apr 29, 2012, 14:41 Icewind

I've poured $300 into kickstarter so far, but with no regrets at the moment. With The Dead Linger, Valdis Story, Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2 all looking to be well funded I'd say the future for the games I've invested in looks good.

I'm shocked Dead Linger hasn't received the hype Shadowrun did. It's basically Stalker 2.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Community Patch
4. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Apr 28, 2012, 16:16 Icewind

Creston wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 14:13:
Does this include all the previous offical (ie Piranha Bytes) patches? Does it fix the horribly shitty combat?

I may get this and give Gothic another go.

Creston

It does have a secondary method of combat you can turn on, but that was introduced 2 patches ago. I tried it, but all it does it make it so that human enemies block 99.99% of the time, which makes combat last longer and become more tedious.

I beat the game with last year's community patch and didn't really notice a difference. It's still a mediocre game and a horrible game by Piranha Byte's standards. No patch can fix that.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up
7. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 19, 2012, 23:34 Icewind

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 23:03:
Ok so I played the SNES version, there was a Genesis version, and a Sega CD version also right? Of the SNES/Genesis version, which would you say is the best.

I liked both, but felt the Genesis version was superior, if only due to its more faithful adaption of the PnP ruleset at the time. It also was far more challenging and had a quasi-openworld style of gameplay that was a decade ahead of its time. It even had factions that you could join and optional main quests that could be ignored while you buried yourself in elder scrolls-style endless side questing.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
7. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 15, 2012, 16:33 Icewind

I don't understand the outrage. Just plunk down the bare minimum pledge to get a digital copy of the game (What is it now, 30 bucks?) and you'll get this mission. Why is this such a big issue?

Now if they said they were making DLC after release that cost money and *everyone* had to pay for it whether they pledged money or not I'd be pissed.

....but they aren't, so what gives?

News Comments > Dungeon Lords MMXII Announced
12. Re: Dungeon Lords MMXII Announced Apr 13, 2012, 17:04 Icewind

I remember being on the forums for this when it came out and as bad as it was, people there defending it. I even found that playing the biggest race (Forget their name, the big troll-like guys) meant that there were some important quest areas you couldn't enter and instead had to glitch your way inside of because the doorways weren't big enough to let them through. Their own forums admitted it was a bug, but never patched it.

Dungeon Lords was a trainwreck.

Wizards & Warriors however was fairly good. I got to the last area before a bug involving a two-way passage becoming a one way passage and locking me out of the final dungeon area prevented me from beating it. Never bothered with the game after that.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
52. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Apr 11, 2012, 23:24 Icewind

Darth Guybrush wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 23:22:
Apparently replay value will by high just for looking around.

If sales are good (and they look very like that already - even on Steam) who know?

At least until the Pirate fuck it up like they apparently did for Bulletstorm 2...

Pirates didn't mess up Bulletstorm 2, the game stunk rotten and anyone with a modicum of taste can see that. The sequel won't get made because of the game being a disaster, not due to piracy.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
51. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 11, 2012, 23:23 Icewind

Riker wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 22:26:
Fun so far.

Magic system is shit, shit, shit. I was surprised and disappointed to discover that combat is a real-time whack-a-mole clickfest rather than turn-based, but it's not a huge deal. But the option sure would be nice. And where's the goddamn health potions at?? But ya... fun so far.

The magic system is IDENTICAL to Dungeon Master. I'm guessing you're a young pup, right?

1488 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo