Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1464 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue
22. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 22, 2013, 22:25 Icewind

NKD wrote on May 22, 2013, 21:41:
TychoCelchuuu wrote on May 22, 2013, 21:27:
Yawn. Steam's taking baby steps onto Linux - in a decade I wonder if anyone's going to have to care about Windows at all when it comes to gaming.

Even if by some miracle Linux was to take off as a gaming platform, what exactly do we gain other than saving a few bucks on a software license every 4-6 years?

You're looking at it backwards. It's not what you gain, but what you don't have to worry about LOSING.

With a reliance on Windows you are letting MS gradually take away your rights to your games and limiting your access (Or at least making it more unintuitive to do) to your OS with every new version.

Would you really rather have your gaming machine ruled by MS? I'd gladly take Linux which has no ulterior motive, no shareholders to please and no need to placate casual folks with dumbed down interfaces and buried OS options.

Sure, 10 years ago people said the same thing about Linux...but ten years ago Linux didn't have one of the biggest software companies on Earth standing behind them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue
21. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 22, 2013, 22:19 Icewind

ItBurn wrote on May 22, 2013, 22:02:
Third party devs will continue releasing PC versions and Steam will continue to dominate. Regardless of if Microsoft wants it or not.

Exactly.

Really, did anyone expect anything different from MS? They have long since left the PC gaming community and haven't shown signs of returning anytime soon. Hell, they spent the last decade or so spurning the PC. They even tried to get people to move to Vista by dangling Halo 2 in front of them and trying to convince us it needed the new OS to operate. Spoiler: It didn't.

What will really happen is the same thing that happened when the 360 came out. MS will swear off PC, three years will go by and they'll slowly start trickling out their formerly Xbox exclusives as PC ports. (Like how we were given Fable's Lost Chapters)

It doesn't matter much though since most of the AAA titles come from third parties not sworn by blood to MS so expect plenty of cross platform releases regardless.

In short, nothing to see here. Smells like Blue is trolling on his own site to be honest.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Foul-up
29. removed May 8, 2013, 18:42 Icewind

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 9, 2013, 06:36.

News Comments > Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Kickstarter Tomorrow
8. Re: Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Kickstarter Tomorrow May 6, 2013, 01:05 Icewind

I don't know what's worse....the fact that just about any two bit code writer can vomit an idea onto kickstarter using a popular but forgotten franchise....or that there are numbskulls that will dump money on them.

Not worth it.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
6. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 30, 2013, 19:28 Icewind

NKD wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 18:44:
All games should be crowd-funded. I don't want the traditional publisher business model to exist at all. It stifles creativity.

I don't understand you people who think crowdfunding should be used to get your company off the ground just so that you can sell out. It needs to be THE business model. You guys need to stop thinking about it like it's charity or welfare to be reserved for the needy.

The whole attitude where "Hey you have X amount of money therefore you should be required to gamble all of it instead of making your case to crowdfunders." makes not one bit of god damn sense.

Plus I think it should be up to ME to decide what I want to fund. Arbitrary restrictions based on some vague estimate of someone's non-crowdfunding resources will just fracture the crowdfunding community and reduce the visibility of any single project.

That's a bit extreme, but I can see where you're coming from though. The big publishing houses have too much power nowadays and they've effectively shackled developers and have not permitted them to make the games they want. I'm sure you show this thread to Chris Avellone and he'd tell you a dozen or so stories backing that up.

The problem is when a publisher becomes to big and begins thinking they know better than the gamer and the developer.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 13:38 Icewind

It may be anecdotal evidence to most people, but anyone who follows gaming is aware of the fact that were it not for Wii Sports the original Wii would not have been the sales giant that it was in the last/current/now dying generational console war.

The Wii-U really isn't offering you anything that either the original Wii or the newer consoles already do. Want child/family friendly games? Keep your Wii or get an ipad. Want hardcore games with online matchmaking and a network to keep track of friends? You have that with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I'm glad the numbers are starting to show what I was saying two years ago. The Wii-U will flop and Nintendo will either go the route of Sega and simply develop games or they will stick to the handheld market....which is dwindling now that you have tablets or smartphones in nearly everyone's home.

For me, Nintendo died after the SNES. I haven't enjoyed any system they've made that has come out after that.

News Comments > Spike VGAs
11. Re: Spike VGAs Dec 8, 2012, 22:12 Icewind

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:53:
That list actually looks legit to me, if it was payed then it would be all Diablo 3 GOY PC, Blops2 GOY etc etc

It's obvious that they are trying to placate the gamer hipster crowd that mocks them every year. Hyping The Walking Dead the way they did and throwing an indie award out there were just two layers of icing on that thick cake they were baking for the elitist crowd.

It probably worked too, since a lot of the friends I saw last year bad mouthing the VGAs were now raving about them.

I still find it deplorable.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
12. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 7, 2012, 12:04 Icewind

All I think about now is this:

http://images.4chan.org/v/src/1354892285506.jpg

Love how these people get so riled up over silly things.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Video
5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Video Nov 22, 2012, 11:02 Icewind

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 08:41:
I've played Divine Divinity and loved it.

It looks like Divinity 2: Director's Cut is the latest installment in the series -- is it any good?

I played both Divinity 2 when it came out and Divinity 2's expansion as well, and since Director's cut is simply both of those shipped together with a dev console thrown in, I'd have to say that it's one of the best deals you can buy in the action RPG genre right now.

It's light on story, but there is a fairly long quest with some tough combat and challenging boss fights if you're into that thing. Some of the locales are constantly recycled though, but not on Dragon Age 2's scale.

Overall it's not as good as Divinity 1, but it's a solid ARPG that should keep you busy for a month.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 18, 2012, 16:12 Icewind

Sin Episodes was actually a pretty good shooter if memory serves me correctly. I went through it a couple times. Loved all the funny easter eggs.

But the genre was changing at that point and the shift was on to a more console-style type of FPS. I really think that industry shift and how strongly the publishers felt about moving along with it were what ultimately killed it.

Though lack of money probably didn't help.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition Next Year
10. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition Next Year Nov 11, 2012, 18:09 Icewind

Recently reinstalled BGTutu with the widescreen mod, unfinished business and the classic GUI mod...can't imagine why anyone would want this "new" one since amazingly the tutu team finally fixed the Beregost bug a couple revisions ago.

I'll keep my money for Project Eternity.

News Comments > Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming
11. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 17:38 Icewind

edaciousx wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 16:18:
dang dude. you ok there?

And how do you know for certain that they planned to "Milk" money? Do you have evidence?

I envy little 20 somethings like you, fresh out of high school and born into the 21st century thinking that everything is roses and rainbows.

Yes, companies are only interested in doing as the customer wishes and will never steal from or manipulate their customers. Oh how naive and simplistic your thought process is.

Gaming is more about money now than it has ever been. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see they did it to milk sales for all they were worth.

Next you're going to tell me EA didn't remove their games from steam to bump up sales of them on Origin. Of course, EA paid for that and had to re-up them on steam to placate the masses.

See, big companies do in fact love us!

Kids.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Far Cry 3
18. Re: Gone Gold - Far Cry 3 Nov 7, 2012, 06:16 Icewind

Quinn wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 06:11:
Feel like I'm one o' the few people who LOVED FC2. The hunt fir those diamonds actually made sense: once you bought weapons with them, they were "unlocked" and free to pick up in any ingame shop from that moment forth. It added a great sense of achievement and even an RPG aspect to the game.

Same here. I reinstalled it last month for the same reasons the other guy did and was reminded how great of an FPS it was. It was like a "Baby" version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but still great nonetheless.

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
49. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 06:08 Icewind

Well, that Steam Linux beta is starting. I hear the rumbling of thunder in the distance, and it's bringing change.

Hasta la Vista, MS.

News Comments > Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space
23. Re: Blizzard Once Toyed with Diablo in Space Oct 23, 2012, 19:34 Icewind

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 18:35:
I seem to remember a game called Harbinger that was basically Diablo in space. Other than lacking the character that Blizzard instilled in its seminal classic, it pretty much was exactly that. At the least it definitley made it clear that the concept done right could be awesome.

Shit, I just came here to mention that and I see you already did.

The game stunk though. The last boss was a gigantic robot ape and it made no sense whatsoever. I still own the boxed game though, as nothing more than a showpiece.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer
25. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 14, 2012, 08:52 Icewind

Cutter wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 00:38:
netnerd85 wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 22:34:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:39:
GOOD. Not every game needs multiplayer. Fuck EA for pushing that load of bollocks...
EA have NOTHING to do with Metro. Get it right! it's THQ.

No, he's saying that it's EAs fault because they were the ones who started the whole 'Every game must have multiplayer' BS when no one ever wanted it.

This is mainly why I hate the internet. The fact that you have to explain things to these drooling teenage nitwits is depressing.

Either a lot of inbreeding is going on or gaming is attracting the lowest common denominator.

News Comments > Gearbox Working on Fixing Your Badass in Borderlands 2
7. Re: Gearbox Working on Fixing Your Badass in Borderlands 2 Sep 26, 2012, 06:42 Icewind

I hated the weapon skill level system in Borderlands 1 since you couldn't really change weapons late game since you'd be so unskilled with them. I think getting rid of that and replacing it with the badass "system" is a big improvement. I'm around badass rank 600 now and loving life as a lv 14 commando. Amazing game.  

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Beta Begins
12. Re: Steam Big Picture Beta Begins Sep 11, 2012, 05:17 Icewind

I'm using it simply because I couldn't see the regular UI from 10 feet on my 37inch HDTV, so yeah....it certainly cleared that up.

I also like its design and how fast it moves (I don't get everyone whining about it being laggy, maybe they need to get off of dial-up) so no complaints here.

I was amazed at how well it used my KB+M, since I figured it was designed for a controller. OVerall, a 10/10 for me.

News Comments > Obsidian Entertainment Tease
7. Re: Obsidian Entertainment Tease Sep 10, 2012, 22:15 Icewind

It'll be Fallout Online.

LOL

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
8. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 18:05 Icewind

Anyone with a brain could see the game looked like shit. Console ports are RARELY decent, and even if they are it's mainly due to the game being made by a top tier developer like Bethesda. (Which is pushing it since even they can barely port correctly)

I had a lot of friends hyped for the game, some who were big fans of the first and I just didn't see where all the excitement was coming from. Some half-assed 3D Zelda clone? I could go back and play LoK Soul Reaver for that. It's on GOG for a pittance.

Plus any game that requires 2 million sales just to break even was a very poorly planned game. The industry needs to downsize and rethink their strategy. Take a cue from the indie devs like Gaslamp Games...do it smaller and better, not bigger and flashier.

1464 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo