Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1393 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
11. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 27, 2014, 20:48 Icewind

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 19:58:
Sure there's a catch - you have to register for Origin. I've managed to avoid that since it came out. I still don't feel like I've missed anything.

Same here. I'd love to play DA3 and ME3, but as a PC gamer I won't see them unless they put them on Steam.

Won't touch Origin. No point. Gog and Steam fulfill all my needs as a gamer. Origin would be a third wheel.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
10. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 27, 2014, 20:47 Icewind

Origin: searched your Skype logs, was a big scandal when it broke a couple years back.

Steam: Slowly trying to become as cool as GOG by allowing refunds and such.

GOG: The Bee's knees.

That's about it.

News Comments > Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing
10. Re: Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing Feb 11, 2014, 21:57 Icewind

Well this should warrant a week or two of play.  

News Comments > QuakeWorld Turns 17 and This Day in Gaming History
21. Re: QuakeWorld Turns 17 and This Day in Gaming History Dec 18, 2013, 15:16 Icewind

Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 14:34:
oRuin wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 14:03:
I honestly wish that I could go back to the mid-late 90s. Just don't enjoy gaming as much than back then.

Is that because of you, or because of games?

Mid to late 90s was the golden age. I feel the same way. Playing Diablo 1 and Ultima Online all night. Going through Fallout for the umpteenth time. Quake deathmatches. The awe of building my first PC (To replace one I overpaid for in 96) so I could play Unreal in late 1998. That christmas where I played BG1 and HL1 nonstop for hours...

There is no magic left in gaming. Maybe it's all been done, maybe it's just nostalgia I don't know...but for me the magic isn't there in gaming anymore. I want a game to conquer my life and capture my imagination the way the first two fallouts, BG or Diablo did. Last game to do that was probably Gothic 2 back in 2003.

News Comments > QuakeWorld Turns 17 and This Day in Gaming History
20. Re: QuakeWorld Turns 17 and This Day in Gaming History Dec 18, 2013, 15:12 Icewind

Good memories. I got online 17 years ago then, because I signed up for my first (As in, it was paid for by me, not leeching off a friend) internet account back in October of 1996. Couple months later I got the shareware of Quake and a friend unlocked it for me. We used to play Quakeworld all the time after that. Funny how it was so playable even at 28.8bps whereas I dumped DSL back 6 years ago because it was too SLOW. Amazing.

Modern shooters don't do shit for me. Quake, the first Unreal and UT...after that it all started to go downhill. I think UT was the peak. For me anyway.

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
30. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 14:09 Icewind

harlock wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:59:
Icewind wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:57:
Why does everyone whine about that?

because it sucks?

i dont know, ask everyone

Thanks for that eloquent rebuttal.

You reinvigorate my standing theory that those who whine about it are just petulant, demanding children who have no skill with CRPGs.

Either that or like most kids you parrot what others say on forums and tout that as part of your learned experience.

Simple fact is, that 13 year time limit is way more time than even the most casual of wasteland explorers need to 100% the game. Anyone saying otherwise is a poser.

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
28. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 13:57 Icewind

harlock wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:26:
F1 had the ultra annoying time limit

Why does everyone whine about that? You get 13 years of in-game time to finish the main storyline...how can you do that? I remember when the game came out, I was working at a software etc. store at the time (Pity me) and people were returning it because of that alone. Though, admittedly, I'm sure it was an excuse since they probably burned the disc and wanted their money.

The first time I played FO1, and this was in 1997 before LPs and video guides, I went through completely blind and never hit the time limit.

Second time, did all the side quests....still no time limit. Truth is, I never knew what people were talking about until the Interplay forums schooled me on the 13 year limit.

In all honesty, how bad do you have to be at the game to hit the time limit? I know revealing your vault's existence to NPCs in dialogue decreases it by a year or two, but how can you hit that ceiling? Are you walking the landscape randomly looking for encounters??

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
34. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 07:25 Icewind

I've hated on him for years, but if he wants to come back to his Unreal 1 ways...I'm good with it. Maybe now he realizes what we've been teasing him with this whole time. I think he does, since with all the kickstarters and the steam indies racking in big cash he now sees that the PC really *IS* the healthier/greener pasture, and he wants back.

News Comments > More Survivor 2299 Teasing
18. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 15:17 Icewind

Bethesda? Post Apoc? New Game?

Rage 2. I'm calling it now.

Carmack has no involvement. Outsourced by Zenimax to some Koreans working in a slave labor camp.

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
55. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 18:42 Icewind

Optional Nickname! wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 16:56:
Approaching 2014, with 30+ years of computerized gaming in the general public's daily experience and the requisite decades of forum postings on said subject, with dozens of generations and hundreds of iterations of CPUs, GPUs and mobo form factors and near universal understanding of what an OS, or simply what 'the Windows' does you would think that we could finally collectively agree that consoles are low-end PCs that run the console OS, and not the Windows, by design.

Who on God's green and bountiful Earth, after so many generations of consoles and now generations of post-AOL people, actually doesn't understand that and has to have that explained to them?

QFT

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
52. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 18:24 Icewind

This is what I like to hear. I love my consoles, but I grew up as a PC gamer in the 80s/90s and my heart is still there. I control my total experience on the PC, from hardware to visuals to the config...and I don't like to have that control ripped away.

Bless this man!!

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
12. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 15:54 Icewind

Flak wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:12:
Fallout 3, while technically a mess to say the least, is one of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory. If they can get the writing and characters improved, Fallout 4 could be a killer title.

Lets hope Bethesda has learned from their previous shortcomings.

I'm a huge turn based nut, former RPGcodex'er and someone who still plays the original two....but even I have to admit FO3 was fun. A lot of my fellow grognards won't, but whatever.

FO3's story was rubbish, but FO:NV was great. More of that would be excellent. Let's hope they learned from Avellone's success.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Nov 2, 2013, 19:16 Icewind

Axis wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 11:17:
I can sum it up without even watching it.

Diablo 1 & 2 - innovative, fun, cutting edge.

Diablo 3 - Sham, Moneygrab, Noobbait.

PoE4L!!

I agree with all of that except for the final part. Path of Exile is rather weak and bland. If any game was a true heir to Diablo 1 and 2's legacy it was Titan Quest...or would have been, if the publisher gave a damn about it.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3
4. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 30, 2013, 20:01 Icewind

Considering they gave me two free copies of the first Witcher and one free copy of the second, I might as well just wait until they give me a free copy of the third as well. Seriously. I think CDP borrowed Valve's strategy with L4D: Basically hand it away in cracker jack boxes in an effort to get people to bite the line.

Not taking away from the games though, which are quite good.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
40. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 07:40 Icewind

Meh.

Meh, the world moves on so should you...

Yeah, it moved into a decline.

A decline? Project Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Torment 2 (And that stuff from Double Fine I can't remember the names of), X Rebirth and lots of unique Indy games coming up....

If that's what a decline looks like I hope it never ends. The next year and the next months are going to be glorious for PC Gamers.

Don't play coy, you know what he meant. He means the mainstream went into a decline. He mentioned Wasteland 2 and no doubt knows about all the Kickstarter CRPGs and their revolution they've started. He's talking about the upper, more visible layer of the hobby.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
39. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 07:37 Icewind

shihonage wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 06:23:
Sup SMA

Fighting the good fight on Blue's News, I see.

My favorite memory of Fallout 3 was the message "uninstall complete".

Regardless of lore, regardless of comparisons to the prequels, and entirely on its own, the game was a piece of garbage.

Awful UI, ugly piss-filter on even uglier graphics, load screens every time you enter a tiny hut(Terminator: Future Shock called from 1995, wants its engine back), abysmal writing (the worst I've ever seen in a game made by English speakers), inane location design, stupid/duplicate/nonintuitive dialogue choices, retarded logic, vampires (lolz), insta-ghouls, heavily railroaded gameplay progression despite illusory claims of "sandbox", SPECIAL system almost entirely lacking impact on gameplay, nuke launcher, invulnerable children used as a quest wall...

Fallout: New Vegas corrected many of these flaws, but far from all. It is, however, a title that may actually be kind of worthy of remembering. It is what happens when a reasonably skilled team takes an engine from drooling retards at Bethesda and tries to do something decent with it within a very limited amount of time.

So, so true. I actually screenshotted your post and saved it. Rarely do you see such brilliance...and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

I enjoyed New Vegas enough to beat it once and go through a 2nd and 3rd time. Fallout 3 was a "one and done" title for me. Meaning I completed it once and uninstalled it, never to return to it again. Such a lifeless, boring, poorly written and poorly designed game. Even if it wasn't named Fallout it would have still been this bad. I think a lot of people forget this or refuse to accept this fact.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players "Aren't Gamers"
7. Re: Quoteworthy - Infinity Ward: Many COD Players Oct 28, 2013, 11:23 Icewind

Does driving only to 7-11 for a slushie once a week make you a driver? Perhaps, though not a good one nor a respected one.

Does reading one book a year make you a reader? Perhaps, but no one is going to you for book suggestions.

Does painting a water color paint-by-numbers picture make you a painter? In a manner of speaking yes, but you aren't Picasso, much less Bob Ross.

Does playing CoD and only CoD make you a gamer? Technically, yes, but you aren't on the same level as the guy replaying Shadow of Chernobyl for the 8th time or the person who has a collection of 400+ PC games and has finished them all, sacrificing their social life while doing so.

You can defend them and call them gamers. You can wish to include them within our circle so you can feel happy about how large our hobby has gotten over the past decade, but they aren't true gamers. Laugh, giggle, make fun of what I'm saying but it's the truth: There is gaming and then there is *gaming*. For the same reason I wouldn't put a kid splashing paint in numbered shapes on cardboard on the same level with the head of the art department at my college is the same reason I wouldn't put someone who only plays Call of Duty in the same group as someone like, say, Total Biscuit or the guy from Matt chat. Or for that matter, someone like myself who has been gaming for 32 years and who before selling them had nearly a thousand games.

I love whenever a comment is made like this the older, less "hardcore" gamers come out and defend them. They like to think people like my wife, who only play candy crush and tetris on their phone, are gamers. No, even she would tell you that she isn't. A gamer is someone who has ate, breathed, and drank this hobby for decades and obsessively follows it to the detriment of nearly all else. This is partly why I no longer consider myself a gamer since two years of married life has sent my weekly game time down to maybe 2-3 hours a week if I'm lucky.

Does a gamer have to be a neckbeard with cheeto-stained fingers and poor hygiene? No, but they should be devoting as much time and money to the hobby as the malcontents who fit that stereotype.

Why is this so hard to accept?

News Comments > 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced
15. Re: 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced Oct 24, 2013, 14:48 Icewind

I have always ran both, on multiple machines, and I can tell you there are really no differences. I *prefer* AMD/ATI myself, but the pendulum swings both ways. To say one is significantly better than the other in the driver department is pure lunacy. Maybe 5-6 years ago I would have said you had a point (ATI had their foot in their rear) but now there really isn't a problem. During the past 2-3 years I've downloaded probably 4 dozen or so drivers between the two platforms for my PCs/Laptops and I've never experienced anything major.

Worst that happened was an Nvidia update giving the HUD in Crysis 2 a bad case of flickering. Cleared up the next release though.

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
24. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 19:03 Icewind

I've been doing this myself on Steam for years now. NES (Nestopia), SNES (snes9x), Genesis (Kega Fusion), PSX (epsxe), and PS2 (Pcsx2) all support making command line load shortcuts that eliminate the gUI and run in open GL/direct3D, making them able to fully work in Steam *and* have steam chat in-game. I even do DOSbox games in steam and run them in opengl so I can get full steam overlay support.

It's remarkably easy too.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Developer List Found
35. Re: Half-Life 3 Developer List Found Oct 2, 2013, 18:50 Icewind

Redmask wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 17:47:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 12:57:
Promising short dev time for episodes never happened? I seem to recall that happening. Then their staff got bored and decided to work on overrated crap like portal and Left for Mediocrity er I mean Left for Dead and re releasing Counterstrike 17 times in different forms. Now they're making their little steam box.

Valve along with Blizzard are prolly the two most overrated over protected entities in the entire industry.

They promised? Did they make this promise to you? Where did they use the word promise? Perhaps you can point it out.

They tried a different development approach, it didn't work out. They still make some pretty great games that sell exceedingly well so while I would love to see Half-Life 3, I'm willing to be patient about it instead of spouting off stupid shit about mediocrity when I'm demanding another title from the same company. Better yet put your money where your mouth is and uninstall Steam since Valve offends you so much.

Nope, didn't think so.

I don't know about *promise*, but Valve did say, time and time again, that their plan for episodic gaming was to have a very short turnover time. Clearly, that didn't happen but no one called them on it because Valve is god.

1393 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo