Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anon Anon

Real Name Anon Anon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Icewind
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 18:44
Total Comments 1464 (Pro)
User ID 13929

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video
8. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video Sep 17, 2014, 23:19 Icewind

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 22:08:
Looks extremely good, although that's what I said about Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 before they released playable versions. Each of those games seems to be (so far) falling WAY short of what most people were hoping for

Wait. I can see Wasteland 2, but you think Eternity fell short? How so? Was it due to the pause based combat? Because I thought Eternity was amazing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Trion Worlds DDoSed
5. Re: Trion Worlds DDoSed Sep 14, 2014, 14:29 Icewind

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 10:58:
Wonder if it's from the same folks who did this to Blizzard when 2.1 went live.

That was Lizard Squad, and they were just a few guys using the LOIC.

More than likely, it's just some dip**** screwing around and thinks because he's behind proxies that he can't be caught.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Specs
6. Re: Alien Isolation Specs Sep 10, 2014, 22:38 Icewind

35GB. Wow. I guess the days of sub 20GB installs are gone. I easily meet the recommended requirements, but with a 250GB HD that only has 65GB left on a good day, I'm really going to have to invest in more storage.

I really hate to, but it's getting annoying having to uninstall 2-3 of my favorite games to make room for a new one that may or may not suck.

News Comments > Skyforge Paladin Class Video
2. Re: Skyforge Paladin Class Video Sep 8, 2014, 23:31 Icewind

Exactly how deeply is Obsidian involved in this? Hopefully not much.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 20:45 Icewind

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 20:16:

What they don't acknowledge is the obvious - that the lack of disclosure of these points was calculated and deliberate because they had an agenda. A simple oversight is forgivable; intentionally neglecting to point out very important facts that could serve to weaken your agenda is just slimy.

This.

I really just want all of them to admit they're just liberal politically correct agenda pushers trying to control the community narrative by any means possible.

Places like them, Kotaku and Polygon are why I don't even bother reading game sites anymore. Basically it's Blues, Evil Avatar and maybe Shacknews. The rest are just sh*t rags.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 19:17 Icewind

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 19:03:
Icewind wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 18:42:
That's the article I saw endlessly retweeted, yes. I actually meant to write Polygon, but the brain isn't what it used to be.

All I want to see is people stick to their guns and stay away from the clickbait sites and stay with the authentic news blogs. I think after this they will, too.

A lot of the stories that show up here on Blues come from Kotaku, Gamasutra, Polygon, etc. It's natural for people wanting to read more about gaming to visit sites like those from here.

Yeah, but not the clickbait ones. Ones where the lack of women soldiers in WW2 games are lamented, or how Dragon's Crown is exploiting women.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 18:42 Icewind

That's the article I saw endlessly retweeted, yes. I actually meant to write Polygon, but the brain isn't what it used to be.

All I want to see is people stick to their guns and stay away from the clickbait sites and stay with the authentic news blogs. I think after this they will, too.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2014, 18:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 18:30 Icewind

Personally, I've grown tired of all this.

Just remove Kotaku and Gamasutra from your RSS/Bookmarks/whatever and move on, IMHO.

Me, I never went to these sites anyway. I think everyone who was wise to the scene knew that Kotaku was just a giant clickbaiting site writing fluff articles about false injustices.

I've been coming to Blues since 1999 and though I flirt with other places, this is still my favorite site for game news. Between this and Shacknews and Evil Avatar, I'm good.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 12:26 Icewind

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:18:
Great write up. As the author says, I'm tired of editorial opinion pieces that have little to do with gaming itself and just attempt to force a social agenda on you. I was a huge fan of RPS but they pushed me into foregoing their site entirely.

Same with me. I always thought RPS was the alternative site for the rest of us, but it didn't take long for them to copy what everyone else was doing. Hiring Cara and having her write absolutely horrid pieces like this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/ really killed it for me.

News Comments > Chaos Rising Removes GFWL
4. Re: Chaos Rising Removes GFWL Sep 5, 2014, 12:17 Icewind

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:11:
I barely even notice getting a Steam achievement, still haven't added an option for a sound notification after all these years.

I didn't even *know* there was an option for having it make a sound.

Wouldn't enable it anyway. I'm on the PC to get away from that stuff.

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
2. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Aug 31, 2014, 14:49 Icewind

Figured this was coming, even still it's welcomed news. IWD1 was my favorite of the IE games, which I know puts me in a weird minority.

I still remember having to pay a company 20 bucks to download the Luremaster expansion and mail the disc to me since at the time, my earthlink dial-up couldn't download that "free" 500MB expansion.

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
11. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 30, 2014, 16:53 Icewind

I love D3 and Path of Exile, but I never once bothered with their "season" modes. I much rather enjoy slow co-op with friends and putz around the game hunting rares and screwing around.  

News Comments > Op Ed
129. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 20:01 Icewind

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 19:56:
Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 19:25:

Regardless, as has been shown very often, it's difficult for a woman to get into making games, and difficult for them to stay. This tends to be a factor in why so few women do it. Getting the experience and funding to make your own game is difficult without a track record of making your own game.

There's more to it than that. Programs for exposing girls to computer-based technology careers at a young age have been few and far between up until very recently (My daughter really wanted to take up Google on their offer to teach her to code for free that came about in light of their diversity study findings). Currently according to the Labor Dept. only 20% of software developers cuirrently are women, and likely those are the infrequent females who for whatever reason knew they wanted to code from a young age. Only a small fraction of that already small number would ever consider making games for a living. Young, school-age girls need to be shown what's out there in the computer tech world early in school so more will come to realize this is what they want to do. Once that happens, there will be more women in game development. It's just a matter of time given that almost half of all gamers are female now.

Yes, but the reason you don't see many females in the tech field is not due to some ancient male conspiracy or even a glass ceiling. It's due to most women simply not being interested in the field. What's next, we start a support group for women who play with tonka trucks and want to move away from barbies? It's just the way things are. We're wired differently and most women aren't interested in being coders.

You can keep shortening the stick that dangles that carrot, and you can make the carrot bigger, but they aren't going to bite it if they don't want to.

News Comments > Op Ed
64. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:32 Icewind

NKD wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 16:21:
This whole conversation gets so very old.

In all this debate, bitching, and whining, no one has ever stated any kind of goal. What is the goal? Have a wide variety of games that appeal to different ages, cultures, and genders? Have a wide selection of games that don't depict women as perpetual victims or sex objects?

Congratulations, we already have that. But people are still bitching.

^This

It's hipsters. A bunch of liberal, lefty bleeding hearts that think the entire world has to be ponies and flowers. Liberalism is a disease and now you see what happens when an entire young generation grows up with lefty brainwashing.

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:29 Icewind

jdreyer wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 16:25:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:07:
Is there anyone who openly despises their fanbase more than game developers and journalists?

Well, when devs get death threats from fans over minor changes, can you blame them?

Oh please, isn't the online death threat thing so 1990s? If I had a nickel for every time someone threatened my life online (99% of the time through a game), I'd have enough money to buy Blue's website.

Let's be real, trotting out this death threat crap is like trying to prove you're rich by showing me a bunch of empty $100 bill wrappers. This stuff is old hat. Plus, it's the internet. Having someone tell you they'll kill you is basically the handshake of the internet. If you actually take it seriously you're either new to the internet or your too overly sensitive for it.

News Comments > Gauntlet Next Month
4. Re: Gauntlet Next Month Aug 28, 2014, 22:13 Icewind

I watched the Twitch playthrough they did earlier this month and was not impressed. I grew up with gauntlet, and have very fond memories with the arcade and N64 versions, but to play that plain vanilla style of ARPG again? Naw.

I'm sure there are other 40+ yr old folks who will get it, but I'll still with Path of Exile.

Before the playthrough I thought it was going to be a typical ARPG with loot and levels and skill trees.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 27, 2014, 12:46 Icewind

I'm still a bit skittish about getting this one. I have a character I took through DA:O and DA2 and they are ready to be imported, but I just don't trust BioWare after ME3 and DA2. With the doctors having left and EA bragging about DLC goals, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach here.

I'm open to it though. They just have to prove it to me.

News Comments > West Games' License Expires
5. Re: West Games' License Expires Aug 23, 2014, 19:18 Icewind

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 16:01:
The authorities should be stepping in and seeing if charges should be brought against them for fraud. The major problem with crowdfunding atm is it's the wild west and it's only going to get worse until enough people get burned before the feds step in and regulate it as they should be now.

Everyone who gave them money via Kickstarter got their funds returned to them, via the rules of the site itself.

If you mean the $12,900 they've gained through their web page donation button...well, those folks kind of deserved to get fleeced. Only an absolute idiot (or Putin himself) would give money to West Games through their shady, under-developed, spartan-esque website.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 20:40 Icewind

No evidence?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvmxnjOIcAAxVy5.jpg:large

Not all gaming journalists are unreliable or untrustworthy. There are good sites out there, such as RPGWatch, the Codex, Nichegamer, and maybe N4G.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
22. removed Aug 22, 2014, 17:21 Icewind

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 23, 2014, 13:02.

1464 Comments. 74 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo