Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cliff Hicks

Real Name Cliff Hicks   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Devinoch
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Product Manager - Zattikka Games.
Former Producer/Lead Designer - Fierce Wombat Games.
Former Associate Producer - Kabam.
Former Customer Service Manager - GameSpot.
Former Community Manager for The Sims, SimCity and SimGolf.
Former Community Manager
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 17:08
Total Comments 97 (Suspect)
User ID 13926

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2015, 06:49 Devinoch

Flatline wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 23:25:
Yes, he made Wing Commander. Yes he's responsible for Freelancer & Privateer. But I suspect he's one of those guys who really, *really* needs someone standing over him cracking the whip and giving him constraints to work within in order to produce on time and in an orderly fashion.

I've often said - it's relatively easy to be a good game designer. It's much harder to be a good game producer. It's incredibly hard to be both designer and producer, and if you're going to try and do both, you damn well better let the producer half do more than half of the driving, otherwise you will be driving your car not only past the point of being out of gas, but past the point where your tires have exploded from being worn bald.

Feature creep is one of the biggest problems in game development. Learn to just say "not until later." If the game's successful, you can iterate and add on for all eternity. Get your fundamental shit done right and before your whole team sets itself on fire.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Player Bans/XP Boost
7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Player Bans/XP Boost Jul 2, 2015, 14:48 Devinoch

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 10:06:
While I don't disagree with the bans wouldn't just allowing players to mute/ignore be much easier?

You can hide chat in HoTs but not mute certain people (or even ignore certain people)

Far worse problem for HoTs is the completely broken match-making.

You actually can mute people; it's just not easy to figure out how in the UI.

And yes, the matchmaking definitely needs work still.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Scams
4. Re: Valve on Steam Scams Jun 26, 2015, 17:48 Devinoch

What do you mean stermpowered.com isn't legitimately Valve?

As someone who's been approached by these sorts of people ridiculously often (I have an extremely rare Dota2 item, because I bought it during the week that Valve legit sold it) I've learned to spot them pretty easily, but they keep on trying.

It's kind of adorable. I just wish there were easier ways to report them.

News Comments > Portal Stories: Mel Released
7. Re: Portal Stories: Mel Released Jun 25, 2015, 17:27 Devinoch

This was a triumph. We do what we must because we can.  

News Comments > More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds
4. Re: More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds Jun 24, 2015, 17:33 Devinoch

And people ask why the PC versions of games usually come out later than the console versions. This is exactly why.

Either they'll fix it and people will be happy, or the patch won't fix it and people'll get their money back. Not a whole lot more they can do at this point.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Eternal Conflict Details
5. Re: Heroes of the Storm Eternal Conflict Details Jun 17, 2015, 02:46 Devinoch

I've been a little disappointed as of late that the humor that was so prevalent in the tutorial is lacking from the rest of the game, but HotS is a nice palate cleanser for when I'm done with Dota for the night. Games are short and much harder to take seriously.  

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
7. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 17:20 Devinoch

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 17:17:
All that aside, how well does it work?

Oh shit... uh, is that important?

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
30. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 15:49 Devinoch

Creston wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:08:
I find it dodgy that Sony announced this. Next up, publishers will want you to pre-fund every fucking thing in existence.

Other than that, cool for whatshisname that his Kickstarter is doing so well, and shame on those of you who don't know Shenmue.

That's sort of the way the business is going to work for a bit. Keep in mind, $2mil won't make this game. But it's a seed investment to provoke someone else into investing the rest (i.e. Sony/Sega/whoever), because it proves there's still an audience out there that's interested in this.

I can't say I'm glad the industry works this way, but until we start getting people smarter about how they're developing games, just getting a game DONE is enough of a challenge...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 15:45 Devinoch

I swear to god, I think I'm one of the few people on the planet who couldn't give less of a shit that they're remaking FFVII. The storyline was crap, the grind was ridiculous, the gameplay was boring... if you're going to remake an FF game, have the common sense to do VI, which had a storyline with actual logic behind it... *sigh* I'm grumpy, I know, I don't care.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Announced
5. Re: Sea of Thieves Announced Jun 16, 2015, 00:46 Devinoch

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 20:48:
Shit. Next.

This comment? Seen it. Bored now. Show me actual criticism. (Oh wait, you're a troll. Right.)

News Comments > The Division in March
3. Re: The Division in March Jun 15, 2015, 20:57 Devinoch

Good to see the trolls are out in force.

I'm still psyched about this game.

But it's okay, trolls. You can be cynical about everything. The rest of us don't care.

News Comments > Tom Clancy’s The Division Delayed
13. Re: Tom Clancy’s The Division Delayed May 13, 2015, 03:34 Devinoch

Take your time; get it right.

If it's great, the delays are meaningless. If it's bad, they are compounded.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2015, 13:22 Devinoch

If you want someone to coach, feel free to give me a holler - I'm always happy to help.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One Apr 5, 2015, 15:28 Devinoch

"Oh shit, is this thing still on?"  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena Announced
14. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Nexus Arena Announced Feb 26, 2015, 21:30 Devinoch

No Eldar? I have no interest.  

News Comments > Supernova Announced
3. Re: Supernova Announced Feb 26, 2015, 21:28 Devinoch

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:46:
Zork MOBA, heard it here first.

It is dark. Your joke is likely to be eaten by a grue.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
36. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 17:48 Devinoch

Satoru wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 16:10:
I see Kinguin is playing coy. As if "oh sorry we had no idea these '3rd party resellers' were selling stolen game its not our fault! boo hoo!"

They can go pound sand. They know exactly what happened and they don't care.

Just like the Sniper Elite 3, some shady cd-key shop comes out and has OUTRAGE over their shady business model, blames the publisher, and says they will 'take legal action'. Guess what they did. JACK. Because they HAVE no legal recourse. They're just all bluster.

They sell stolen keys. ANd somehow Ubisoft is to blame?

THIS.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
34. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 17:46 Devinoch

Creston wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:45:
Kajetan wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:42:
2. Because it WISE to not hurt your customers. As i remember Adobe once contacted several hundred customers with "counterfeit" serials and offered them legit ones for free. Adobe came out as the good guy, it was perfect PR story, costing them nearly nothing.

This. 100000 times this.

The difference between Adobe and Ubisoft in terms of operating costs, development costs, profit margins, business models, and well, about everything, really, is also about 100,000 times this, so no, not this at all.

Shady key resellers get exactly what they deserve, and people who buy from shady sources get what they deserve as well.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta
19. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 15, 2015, 18:05 Devinoch

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 15:29:
It takes maybe 10-12 games against bots to level a hero up to 4, where you get the last part of the skill tree. Way less than that if you are playing PvP or are partied up with someone. This is completely meaningless and irrelevant anyway since it takes at least that many games to learn how to play a character to begin with. This helps new players learn a character instead of overwhelming them with skill choices and gradually introduces the character to you over a set of games. You get to play the character in its basic form first and them more advanced options become available as you become familiar with the character. I can't believe someone is actually complaining about this. It takes so few games to unlock the full skill tree on each character that I can't seriously believe you've played this game much.

So, 33 characters, and let's be generous and call it half your estimated 12 games, times 20 minutes per game equals... 3,960 minutes to unlock all the skill trees, or 66 hours of continual game play, optimistically. Assuming no characters are added. That means I would need to be playing 8 hours a day for over a week before I unlocked all the skill trees. That's not "light" - that's an investment.

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 15:29:
I don't think you've spent that much time with this game, or at least you aren't thinking seriously about your complaint. DOTA2 is the only F2P game I know of that gives away the entire hero pool for free like that. If DOTA2 were made by any company other than Valve, then the game would initially cost $20-$40... or the heroes wouldn't be free... I'm pretty sure it couldn't be both. Unlocking heroes by playing the game is a widely used model and your complaint that "this particular game" gouges harder than others simply rings hollow.

Blizzard is not Valve. That's your complaint? Duly noted.

Except that Valve DOES do that, and Blizzard is just as well off as Valve is as a company, riding on the perpetual money train that is WoW. Look, I understand that Blizzard wants to charge for heroes. I disagree that it's a wise business strategy, but it's their choice to make. What I don't care for is the locked game play of when I *am* playing a character (free OR purchased), I need to commit, by your own estimate, 200-240 minutes, before they take the training wheels off and let me decide how I want to play.

Everybody else does it, so that makes it okay for Blizzard to do it. That's your defense? Duly noted.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta
17. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 15, 2015, 13:10 Devinoch

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 08:48:
Their pricing model is gouging beyond gouging, and having 90% of the gameplay locked behind a paywall is utterly infuriating.

Like every other F2P moba game ever, the newer or more interesting/desirable characters/trinkets cost more. This should be no surprise to anyone.

See, that's the difference. Heroes are all free and unlocked all the time in Dota2, and I've given them a bunch of money for cosmetics and because I want to support the game. But the characters? They themselves don't cost me anything.

Also, the idea of whole aspects of gameplay being locked away doesn't stop there. You have to level up EACH INDIVIDUAL CHARACTER in HotS, otherwise you don't have the full skill tree, and I'm not talking during the course of a game, which is standard, but over the course of dozens of games. I understand they think they're protecting players from complexity overwhelm, but the whole thing is too Fisher Price MyFirstMOBA(tm) to me. I mean, when I hit the higher levels, there's only one ability for me to take, so why are they even showing me the choice of skills I haven't unlocked yet? Is it meant to be an incentive to play more? It isn't - it feels particularly frustrating and annoying, because it's forcing me to commit to a character I may not enjoy to see if unlocked abilities would make me enjoy them instead. This whole "no choice choice" thing is fine if you assume your audience is too stupid to be able to make the choices. I don't think I care to give money to any game that assumes that of me.

97 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo