Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeremy Dimmick

Real Name Jeremy Dimmick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sarcasm
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://come.to/floatingworld/
Signed On Aug 21, 2002, 15:36
Total Comments 62 (Suspect)
User ID 13919

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM 3 Interview
3. Re: Distrustful of Vehicles in FPS? Oct 31, 2003, 14:28 Sarcasm

Would basketball be better if the players were in buggies? I think the man's argument deserves comprehension, at least, even if you think he's drawing a false analogy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Dig the new look but... Oct 27, 2003, 12:33 Sarcasm

I'm on dial-up some of the time and don't mind the ads. EDIT: I've just noticed how tight the right margin is, right up against the scroll bars in some parts of the page. That feels a little congested. (IE6 on Win98.)

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 12:36.

166. No subject Oct 26, 2003, 07:33 Sarcasm

Two thumbs up for the new layout. It's cleaner, more readable, slicker, nicer, but still recognizably the same site.

News Comments > New (Renamed) NVIDIA Drivers
9. Re: XP and 2000 only? BOO!! Oct 23, 2003, 12:20 Sarcasm

Guru3D is offering a Win 98 / ME flavour of the 52.16 driver, as well as XP/2K. Same version number, but they're given as betas there, so I guess it's an at-your-own-risk thing, but it does look like drivers for the older OSes are still being developed.

http://download.guru3d.com/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=687

News Comments > X - The Threat Euro Delay
15. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2003, 11:46 Sarcasm

#3: reading between the lines, I expect there'll be a patch for the US version at roughly the same time as the Euro release. The Euro release version will probably contain this first patch.

Not wanting to rain on any parades, but X-Tension wasn't really finished until patch 2.0. For economic reasons (small developer) the X games have quite frankly been released when they're finished *enough* to play, but not when they're finished.

21. Re: Spiders spider spiders... Oct 9, 2003, 13:48 Sarcasm

Maybe - I just offer this as a possibility -- you'd have fewer bugs around the house if you made a point of killing them?

Re the axis of evil: this consists, in my opinion, of wasps, wasps and other wasps. They are demons, the spawn of Satan and the love-children of Beelzebub. They must be killed, or alternatively run away from.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: looks sweet Oct 8, 2003, 19:23 Sarcasm

I gather there is still some optimizing going on. I'd suggest turning off real-time shadows and keeping all your other options cranked up -- see how that does.

News Comments > Patches: Tomb Raider & Live for Speed
3. Re: Obligatory Sep 26, 2003, 14:52 Sarcasm

#2: that's alarmingly plausible.
If I only heard that the control system could be patched to make it more responsive, I'd still probably buy this game, flaws and all.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Q&A, Previews
41. Re: No subject Sep 24, 2003, 09:32 Sarcasm

NIN! Bah. They should use Kate Rusby for the soundtrack, that would definitely be... stupid.

25. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2003, 15:59 Sarcasm

Very interesting. I think it would be much harder if this wasn't a coherent sentence; I mean if it was just a list of random words with the inner letters mixed up, that would take much longer to fathom. We're not just looking at the word as a whole, but making loads of unconscious predictions about the whole sentence, or at least whole phrases, because we have an instinctive grasp of grammar and know what kind of thing to expect.

News Comments > Serious Sam 2 Update
15. Re: nitpicky, I know ... but ... Sep 22, 2003, 15:54 Sarcasm

I don't think USA is strictly an acronym either -- unless people have started pronouncing it "oosa" without my noticing. An acronym has to be a word, like radar or laser.

9. No subject Sep 19, 2003, 18:01 Sarcasm

I'm truly sorry; my thoughts are with you all.

102. No subject Sep 18, 2003, 10:31 Sarcasm

I'd like to add a quick word to the hundred-odd already posted: my thoughts, too, are with you and yours.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: TRON 2.0
31. Re: Good game but it will bomb Aug 26, 2003, 20:10 Sarcasm

If the price of making games that sell is, that they must be games for the average gamer, stretching nothing, where design decisions can be made by ticking boxes in a focus group situation, then the gaming industry doesn't deserve to survive; nor will it, because creative people won't want to work in it.

News Comments > X Rolling Demo Planned
16. Re: Hmm Aug 15, 2003, 14:59 Sarcasm

A good rolling demo makes me more inclined to play the non-rolling demo and buy the game. When you're a small player you need to find ways of getting the world interested. To be honest, I think the people who are really hostile to this rolling demo thing aren't ever going to be sympathetic to the game anyway. Those of us who've been anticipating the game are mostly looking forward to seeing the engine running, in some form, on our PCs.

If there was only going to be a rolling demo, I wouldn't like that. But since a r.d. can be ready sooner than a playable demo, why not give us both? I can't work out what the problem is supposed to be.

News Comments > Jedi Academy Q&A
43. Re: ehhhhhh.... Aug 10, 2003, 09:16 Sarcasm

"not all comics have poor writing, carboard characters, plot holes etc."

Maybe what Raven should do is stop watching Star Wars films! Though it's true, the dialogue and voice acting for Fyarr, in particular, was hideous.

There's a problem with sophisticated plots in the action genre, by the way: it's very hard to design one that revolves around one person's need to get somewhere and do something. Shooters require a persona for the gamer that's a bit like a 70s Clint Eastwood vehicle -- borderline psychotic, single-minded, determined, likes killing things. And it has to tell the whole story (or almost all) from the point of view of that character. Trying to find ways round it like Raven did with a peculiarly stupid moment in Star Trek: Elite Force (I), where you've just waded through a level shooting hundreds of aliens only to be told that they're all fine, they just went back into hibernation, and we can all be friends how, are just ludicrous. The FPS itself can't handle complex plotting, nor can it really *use* a protagonist with complex motives or relationships, in any economical or meaningful way, within the gameplay itself. I'm not surprised it's not a genre that attracts talented writers.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 09:26.

News Comments > Jedi Academy Q&A
29. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2003, 20:40 Sarcasm

Well, I'll be buying Academy. It took me months to get into JK2 because I found the levels before you got the saber tiresome and banal. But I gritted my teeth and got through them, and the rest of the game was great fun. The shooter and puzzle elements and the level design are very ordinary, but the lightsaber combat is great, and using force powers on stormtroopers like a cat playing with a mouse never gets old. If the developers realised that it was saber combat that they wanted to focus on for a quick sequel, all I can say is: that proves the developers are sane.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 20:44.

1. worst movie ever poll Aug 6, 2003, 09:45 Sarcasm

What a strange poll. Perhaps he hasn't seen many films, or has led a sheltered life.

Worst time I can remember having at a cinema was a dubbed Belgian (I think) surrealist film called Taxandria. A very, very, very poor man's City of Lost Children. But even that had one decent scene, I seem to remember.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Shake-up
1. No subject Jul 30, 2003, 10:17 Sarcasm

Who are Crystal Dynamics? What do they do?

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
3. Re: Tron 2.0 Needs DX9 Video Card? Jul 25, 2003, 13:03 Sarcasm

#2: I'm certainly drooling for X2. But I can't help thinking, enough screenshots already. We're not seeing anything new here.

62 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo