Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for KS

Real Name KS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KS
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 16, 2002, 21:20
Total Comments 381 (Amateur)
User ID 13644

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 18:18 KS

Making a single-player game starring a Jedi is difficult enough -- it's like finding a challenge for Superman...besides other supermen.

But an MMO with "balanced classes", forget it.

In almost all, there is no such thing as a powerful melee, they are relegated to tanks with wiffle bats (a light saber? Yeesh.) plus some sneaky thief-like thing with a backstab, whose dps is almost as pathetic.

No, these are standard melee classes with cool looks and awesome sounds. That is all. They are not Jedi.

See, if they were remotely as powerful as a City of Heroes scrapper, out-dpsing blasters on single targets, life would be better.

And what's with armor, as if that isn't a dead giveaway? The saber blocks all, not armor.

It's a wrapper around standard MMO design. And we all know which one, right down to pathetic, expensive mount speed and tripartite skill trees.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2015, 13:35 KS

I like John C. Wright's Count to a Trillion series, one of the most literally fantastic and truly epic stories I've ever read.

It doesn't seem particularly right-wing, other than that the main, sort of Heinleinian protagonist has literally a duel with each antagonist down the millenia. And he loves his girl, man.

What if the message in Contact was a hell of a lot more complex, like the Blight's quantum data store at the beginning of A Fire Upon the Deep, by Vinge, layer after embedded layer, with vague instructions on how to amp one's own intelligence, so further layers could be understood.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 7, 2015, 11:06 KS

Fletch wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 10:37:
There are only THREE Star Wars movies, and I wouldn't exactly call that a marathon.

You luvs ya some Natalie, don'tcha?

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
36. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 13:03 KS

> those of you who may remember your parents talking about Half Life

Eat.

My.

Bowls.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2015, 12:10 KS

Sony won't, not can't, refund the guy. The CC company will happily yank the fraudulent charges back out of Sony's account with them, but they will ban him.

I'm surprised their agreement with the CC company allows reprisals. Something like "It is your responsibility to work with us to prevent fraud, and if it is your error, you will cover the loss."

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
55. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 13:10 KS

Flatline wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:42:
There is no way that the client is only going to be 100 gigs. It's like 30-40 gigs right now and only has like 5% max of the art assets of the final game.

I predict a minimum of 250 gigs when all is said and done, with my outlier prediction being half a TB.

Incidentally, 30 gig patches with any regularity will basically mean that anyone with data caps on their internet connection in the world are fucked.

I can't imagine why patches will be so huge once the game gets going and they are no longer downloading huge chunks of game.

If so, it sound like they have a stupid patch creation program that is not cognizant of files inside other compressed files.

I wonder how much is patching tech that is patented getting in the way.

News Comments > WoW Patch Next Week
20. Re: WoW Patch Next Week Feb 18, 2015, 17:18 KS

I have outposts with 3/7 quests completed and don't know how to proceed. Visit one of the 3 lowbie lone ! on the map I guess. Some outpost regions have none.

- I have a follower as a garrison power in one region, the one you assign to L3 barracks. I read you could summon him anywhere in Draenor as a temp vendor. Have no idea how to.

- Apparently have to grind out eight trillion orders to unlock L3 of various garrison upgrades. I hate doing any.

- Have had one invasion so far, not counting mine unlock.

- Exceptional purple drop chest for Ashran win has never contained a purple, only the blues you can buy for freaking honor points.

- Purple conquest upgrading is slowed to a crawl now

- The only new mount I have since wod is I ground out the sky serpent from pandaland.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2015, 12:15 KS

Nintendo should clarify: Do not post anything we do not have the intellectual property rights over, or, if we do, that we have leased away rights over, as we are deep pockets and a target for lawsuits over profiting on stuff that does not belong to us, and our admitted "profit sharing" trumpets we are after the profits from this channel.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 5, 2015, 11:59 KS

From Nebula Online's FAQ: What is your business model?

"We're buy-to-play! No subscription fees, no cash shop, no nuthin' ! Just buy and play on our servers for ever and ever and ever!"

Ummmm, that's a business failure model. Where cometh the money to run the servers a few years down the road?

Expansion packs? So one giant item in a cash shop once in awhile then?

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 3, 2015, 17:29 KS

You can now build a Warcraft III remake in Starcraft II

You mean you can now build a great RTS that was repurposed late in the development into a confused, mediocre, then-faddish squad-based action game in Starcraft II.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
30. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 18:36 KS

ShakaUVM wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 16:28:
I was a beta tester for the first Everquest, and Smedley himself emailed me trying to work out a bug in their auto patcher. I don't get the hate for him. He seemed genuinely interested in figuring out what was going on and fixing it.

EverQuest balancing of classes early on consisted of seeing what classes were popular and nerfing them until people didn't like to play them anymore and moved on to something else.

Repeat ad nauseum until all classes were equally bland and about equal in population.

Oh, and most of the players also pissed at repeated nerfs to the fun aspect of popular classes which made you want to play them.

Lesson not learned by anyone: Boost boring or weak classes instead of tearing down popular ones.

Nerfs should be reserved for serious design flaws or unforseen massive advantages akin to a broken game.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2015, 12:13 KS

Engineers have been able to make quieter fans for decades now. The loudest setting deliberately roars because you are an idiot who thinks the car is broken if it doesn't roar. Obviously it could be doing a better job.

I'm sure house floor fans are the same way.

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
55. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 15:31 KS

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 09:42:
I want to know what makes W10 the best for gamers on the PC?
My guess is:
-share your gamertag between xbox and PC
-touchscreen support
-native xbox controller supportj
-kinect camera compatible with windows pc
-smart glass
-I don't know some other bullshit noone cares about we'll figure it out as we go

Hope support won't get cut anytime soon for Win7

Ahh now the bigger picture makes sense. Win 7 is moving into security patch only mode of support, no new features. It seemed odd to do this before Win 10, but now it's obvious.

With no Win 7 support for this stuff, and most people waiting for a major post-8 Windows, that means buy Win 10 if you want it, 'cause you sure ain't buying 8 even though it will have it.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2015, 12:47 KS

They should do drive-by identification of energy-leaking apartments. My old top (3rd) floor apartment got hot to the touch in the ceiling in summer, indicating no insulation. The already woefully inadequate AC couldn't keep it below 85 in summer.

Apartments should not be allowed to advertise AC if it's functionally useless. They are evil bastards who lie, lie, lie.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
26. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 15:23 KS

Here's a stretch goal for $70 million: fund side minigame City of Titans.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2014, 13:05 KS

It's questionable whether they actually tested a nuke successfully, or just detonated a massive pile of TNT with some uranium on it to fake out sensors. Note it would be in the US' interest to presume publicly it was true regardless of what they actually knew.

In any case, the real problem if a conflict started would be the many NK long guns along the border, which can reach, and are targetted at, Seoul, only ~30 miles away.

Could the US take them all out before much damage occurred...and without using nukes themselves to glassify the border?

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2014, 13:15.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta
10. Re: MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta Dec 12, 2014, 18:23 KS

Task wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 19:37:
They have a pretty shitty tutorial, the game is an abomination to the franchise. Just a f2p grindfest with a MW name slapped on it. But hey if you want a big Atlas for free, there are ways to get the older, better games

I'm scared -- the site says if your antivirus says there's a problem, ignore it, which is a double flag warning sign.

Why the eff couldn't they sell this on Gog like normal people?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta
2. Re: MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta Dec 11, 2014, 19:06 KS

Do they have a tutorial yet? I was ready to pay hundreds to buy a big Atlas or whatever and screw it.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 8, 2014, 13:40 KS

Beamer wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:12:
Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:04:
Beamer wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:47:
Posner is actually one of the best judges in the country.

Yeah, any guy who says that we'd be better off selling and buying children on the free market as opposed to the 'system' we have now, and that "the rule of law is an accidental and dispensable element of legal ideology," is a fucking FANTASTIC judge. He's a judge who actually doesn't give a shit about the actual LAW, he just likes debating ideological 'what-if' scenarios and how they could be handled.

He identifies as conservative but gets most decisions "right," meaning that he's pro abortion, pro same sex marriage, anti "war on drugs," etc.

And also thinks that animal cruelty really isn't that big of a deal (despite claiming that he's a cat person), and he "supported the creation of a law barring hyperlinks or paraphrasing of copyrighted material"

But his "obviously I'm exaggerating, but people who are concerned about privacy tend to be people with something to hide" seems to go the wrong way.

Oh what the fuck ever. "Obviously he's exaggerating", MY ASS. He has a history of saying the same fucking thing over and over and over again. To him, people are fucking subjects of the government, and the government should be able to do whatever the hell it pleases. Yeah, no, that's a GREAT fucking judge.

In any case, we'll see how he feels about snooping when Anonymous doxes him and releases all his information on the internet. Hearing him bleat about how his privacy has been violated will be extremely entertaining.

I'm not defending most of his decisions. By "best," I'm not saying he gets everything right.

And I'm certainly not defending this.

But he's written an enormous amount of "important" legal books for a reason. He's brilliant. He's approachable. And he's all over the place because, yes, he believes in doing what is right. Voter ID laws trashed by a guy that identifies as Republican. He hates copyright and patents on software. And he thinks animal cruelty is a big deal, he just thinks we need to be willing to test drugs on animals, claiming to be willing to sacrifice pigs and chimpanzees to save human lives from disease.

I am not saying I agree with him, just that the "he should never be near a courtroom again!" seems overkill on one issue for a man considered the most influential non-USSC judge of the 20th century.

One hopes a judge deciding Constiutional issues is aware of reasoning behind Constitional protections.

The reasons against warrantless search and seizure isn't because honest Americans have nothing to hide, only criminals do.

It's to stop government from filching through your stuff looking for violations to tag uppity people with.

As more and more of life shifts to digital, this ass basically wants to get rid of thay and let government filch through your stuff.

Government will abuse this -- that's why protections against it were put into the Constition.

So, clueless judge who should be nowhere near judging the Constitutionality of issues like this.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Microtransaction Follow-up
7. Re: Just Cause 3 Microtransaction Follow-up Nov 7, 2014, 13:13 KS

So what's the beef? That this implies Awesome Game 3 will be F2P, and thus depedent on micro transactions?

Or that, free or not, microtransactions will be P2Win, instead of just limited to vanity stuff with no major gameplay impact?

381 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo