Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for KS

Real Name KS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KS
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 16, 2002, 21:20
Total Comments 345 (Amateur)
User ID 13644

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 10:35 KS

KilgoreTrout wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 06:22:
The fact that your corner of the world (the U.S.) may have peaked and is currently faced with great challenges doesn't mean that the world at large is not improving. Have you seen the statistics on global poverty, infant mortality, access to health care, nutrition, violent conflict deaths and average life spans? They have been going firmly in the right direction for the last 50 years and show no signs of suddenly reversing.

Are there great challenges ahead? Sure. There have always been. But I believe we are better equipped than ever to deal with them, because of science and technology.

Cutter, you have so far made zero fact-based claims to support your position, just the usual "look, everything is bad and getting worse and you are blind not to see it" that disillusioned people have been saying forever. I think you need to look at the world and see that life is improving for the vast majority of people, even though it might not be for you and/or where you are.

Every time someone bitches about (to use an example from another topic today), Foxcon hiring 100,000 more people in China, I have to point out the enemy isn't western companies looking for cheaper labor. It's dirt-floor grinding poverty. It's reality saying, "You need to feed yourself". Companies to the rescue...because of relative economic freedom.

They probably have 30 million applicants, each one deciding that is better than their current lot.

Just like happened in the west 150 years ago with the industrial revolution. Lives and wealth for the average person skyrocketted...as "evil" companies did their thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Outlook CTRL F Jul 16, 2014, 17:19 KS

Beamer wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 16:53:
Creston wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 16:37:
Because it's Microsoft, and they're all a bunch of arrogant cockwaffles who think they know everything better.

Outlook is just moronic. Try finding the "insert URL" button. Then use it. It hasn't been changed since the days of AOL.

Microsoft is indeed moronic. They are notorious for not using their own standard Windows copy-cut-paste and/or find/replace/find again shortcuts in their products. VSS diff program still uses a binocular icon for find/find fw/find rev with no shortcut at all. Excel wouldn't know what F3 find again was to save Bill Gates' life.

In their defense (such as it is) most of these programs predated Windows and Windows standardizations, and were leftovers from "programmer's seat of the pants" days where people sloppily threw wrappers around search and paste APIs and called it a night, with little thought to designing a proper feature.

Still, I don't care somebody's production macro from 1992 might break if F3 was find again. It should be an option.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2014, 14:42 KS

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 14:19:
Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 12:00:
Happy Level-Up Day to Me!
Toff

SQUEEEEEEEEE!

Congrats Cutter.

** Ding ding ding! **
** Your strength decreases by 1%! **
** Your beauty decreases by 1%! **

Unless you're nearing the level cap, then it's about 5% a year.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2014, 13:37 KS

Beamer wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 13:14:
Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 12:13:
Why does Marvel feel it's ok for them to fuck with other peoples religions so long as they're not mainstream? Hey, why not make Jesus or Mohammed women and see how that works out for you.

Thor isn't a religious character, he's a mythological one. Unless you know people still worshiping Norse mythology as religion. I can't even find any genuine ones online.

Today is Odin's Day. Tomorrow is Thor's Day.

Anyway, I can't tell from the article, is this some chick who was worthy, or did Thor get turned into a chick, like Loki was with a big, but in-continuity magical event, or a (gag) complete reboot?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 16, 2014, 13:28 KS

This is the stupidest lawsuit since the Soviet Union tried to sue the NHL because they, being responsible, via dictatorship, for their former players' training (often now on the Red Wings), deserved a cut of their former players' profits.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2014, 13:24 KS

ldonyo wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 10:42:
No, texting doesn't affect their grammar and spelling skills. Their grammar and spelling skills are atrocious, regardless of whether or not they text. Too many of them depend on spell-checking and grammar-checking to bother learning how to do either one by themselves.

Yes but autocorrect can be educational. I'll bet it adds up.

About 8 years ago, I hypothesized that, far from wrecking writing and spelling skills, regular texting would increase it. Some kids do over a hundred texts a day.

I haven't seen any studies, but it would be interesting to see standardized test results vs. decades past.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
24. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 08:16 KS

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 23:54:
This is what he considers important to spend money on? Having real long-term stretch goals at a million dollars a pop shouldn't be difficult for any designer with his salt. Cannot wait for the crash and burn.

Can ya throw a couple of million to City of Titans?

"Our $49 million stretch goal: stretchy underpants -- yes, you will actually be able to pull underpants up over someone's head in an ultrawedgie! With bump mapping for railroad track micro-dingles!"

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 10, 2014, 11:34 KS

BitWraith wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 11:17:
I have this preordered already.

Back when I was a young nipper playing Pool of Radiance, I would have given a testicle to play a game that looks like this. A little perspective is in order...

The turn-based tactical nature of the Gold Box games was awesome. DA 1 had this in spades. That was the game we were waiting for. I played that through 6 times.

Can't watch over my phone, but I assume "spammy" = button masher. If so (is it?) have fun with something not like either of those at all. (I do agree about the looks though.)

News Comments > Darkfall Unholy Wars Patch Plans
1. Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars Patch Plans Jul 1, 2014, 04:49 KS

Hope they have a free weekend welcome back trial. This game had the shortest lifespan of any MMORPG I ever bought, about 2 weeks for me (and someone had given me 5000 gold to mess around with at that.)  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2014, 19:52 KS

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 17:24:
Clever Caviar wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 17:00:
No Man's Sky:

Still no clear idea of the actual gameplay. I like what I've *seen* of this game thus far, however I'm far too long in the tooth to have not seen a few smoke and mirrors demos over the years.

Yeah, this has no new footage beyond what we've seen. I think what they're doing is incredibly cool, but there does also have to be a game in there somewhere.

It looks incredibly complex, but if it's just for the PS4 (so far) I can't see gameplay being particularly complicated or straying from high action.

It would be sad to see all that procedural generation be nothing more than an ultra-cool tech demo for a background for a standard shooter where you are searching for upgrades to proceed further towards the galactic core.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 25, 2014, 13:05 KS

> Encrypted Web traffic can reveal highly sensitive information

As opposed to CNN providing apparently informational stories like "Type Ii Diabetes Tricks" or "Tips for dealing with arthritis" or psoriasis or high blood pressure, whose real purpose is to assign you to salable targeted advertising groups.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 24, 2014, 14:03 KS

Monkey Parking sounds like a good idea, but they went too far advertising to hire people to drive around to take up spots and sell them through the system.

On the other hand I have little sympathy for San Francisco, government or the people who elect them, with rent control and needing a $20 million environmental study to build a new parking structure...and only maybe get to build it.

These are the same officials who make it illegal to be a good samaritan and put a coin in someone's expired meter, proving it's about highway robbery.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 24, 2014, 13:47 KS

You can pause and queue up actions -- sounds like a real tactics game. Normally I see a string of adjectives, "RPG", "tactical", "strategy", "real-time", then along moseys "action", the rest disappear and I read "button-masher".

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2014, 16:52.

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
13. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 13:09 KS

> Lesley Phord-Toy

What an awesome name.

News Comments > Defiance Returns to TV Tonight
5. Re: Defiance Returns to TV Tonight Jun 19, 2014, 18:54 KS

"Show Based On MMO Game"

Opening scene: A man in light armor runs up and shoots someone point blank in the back 3 times. The victim is slightly wounded and runs away.

Shooter: This gun doesn't effin' kill anything!

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues
8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Workshop IP Issues Jun 12, 2014, 15:19 KS

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:53:
Well it entirely depends on whether the copyright has expired or not, right? Anyway, I'm just surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

It is kind of the limiting factor in games. Superhero games which allow general color selection as well as a letter on the chest, well, that's all you need to generate a Superman clone. Red boots, blue tights, red shorts, yellow letter S.

The closer a design system gets to complete freeform, the more cautious they have to be with the inevitable copy of copyrighted works.

City of Heroes had a secret (I think) costume or power code to generate a force field bubble about the hand like a Green Lantern might have. I never figured it out via normal costume or power sets anyway but I did see it a number of times. That plus generic green and black outfit plus capital theta on the chest, boom, Green Lantern.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2014, 15:24.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 11, 2014, 19:47 KS

NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:05:
I gave up hope on any new Star Trek series a while back. They don't want to water down ol' Captain Lens Flare's brand.

That's what terrifies me -- that this would be reboot universe not original. And in either case, more action movie-like, like reboot U, too, than more pensive, true, quality science fiction.

Of course it is Netflix so yappy dramatic interactions are the (cheaper-to-produce) norm. Or maybe they're gonna be the first internet content place to step up to the major league big 4 network investment time.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 11, 2014, 12:07 KS

> Severed Heads vs Women

That's no way to get ahead in the gaming world.

Not the time to lose one's head.

It's a shame he wasn't more headstrong.

He'll never be the head of a major gaming corporation.

"That's enough, Austin."

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
4. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jun 10, 2014, 07:38 KS

Is it supposed to be a sequel or a different type of game in this milieu, like a twitchy-leapy type buttonmasher?  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Trailer
15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Jun 10, 2014, 07:27 KS

"Begging your pardon, sir, but this is a teaser, not a trailer."

Or a rerun of 30 year old Empire and Jedi making-of footage and music.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2014, 07:34.

345 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo