Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ray

Real Name Ray   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname banddirector
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Band Director in Washington State
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 13, 2002, 17:14
Total Comments 1886 (Pro)
User ID 13624

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Heh Mar 18, 2007, 19:33 banddirector

But they're both good, dammit....

You're such a tard!

Insults for boring news day!!

-----------------------------------
Is Vista just Windows XP Service Pack 3 with eye candy?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Heh Mar 18, 2007, 16:14 banddirector

I second the Logitech, although I understand the Thrustmaster is a nice product too.....

News Comments > Into the Black
2. I can't stop Mar 15, 2007, 22:58 banddirector

I can't stop staring at that animated stereogram from earlier today.

I CAN'T STOP - - IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I MUST GET CLOSER ........

ZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTT!!!!!

2. DirecTV Mar 15, 2007, 10:17 banddirector

Geez, Blue, you really have been unlucky! I just hope that your stats with the new DirecTV DVR means that I got one of the good ones. Especially since I don't have much of a choice: our local cable company's HD offerings totally suck.

BTW - - I assume you have the "HD"-DVR, right?

23. Re: The Riches.... Mar 13, 2007, 16:55 banddirector

WTF? Can I borrow $10,000 from each of you?

If Blue had that kind of scratch layin' around he'd buy a board with bannination tools ...

22. Re: Another speaker question Mar 11, 2007, 01:27 banddirector

I would imagine that for every person you ask about speaker quality/performance/whatever, you'd get just as many different responses.

What ever sounds best to *you* are the best.

10. Surprise... Mar 10, 2007, 01:18 banddirector

I took my old home computer to work to replace the one I had there, mostly because the former work computer was a piece of junk. The work computer had several programs on it that I didn't want to take the time to reinstall, so I tried something you're not supposed to do: I ghosted the old hard drive and installed it into the old home computer. When I booted it up the first time, I was totally prepared for it to shit itself, but lo and behold, it didn't! All I needed to do is update some drivers, and it's working really well.

I suspect it worked better than I thought because the old work components were the same brand as the old home computer - - Asus mobos, Athlon CPU's, nvidia video cards, etc. Still, I'm surprised it's working as well as it is ...

And Enahs, you're a tard for not using an alarm clock. You *will* oversleep some day; it's just a matter of when.

9. Skynet launch Mar 10, 2007, 01:11 banddirector

Didn't they see any of the Terminator movies?

15. Re: DirecTV DVR Mar 8, 2007, 16:18 banddirector

Just wondering, as I heard about a lawsuit re: DTV "HD lite" resolutions.

I don't know about a lawsuit, but I can tell you there is definitely a difference in various programs being in HD. Some sports progamming looks drop-dead gorgeous, and some movies look no better than their low-def counterparts (although most HD stuff is in widescreen format, which is better than nothing) ...

14. Re: DirecTV DVR Mar 8, 2007, 16:14 banddirector

I have the new DirecTV DVR, and although I haven't had any major issues with it, I noticed they do a firmware upgrade about once every week. As with all new technologies (or newer types of machines) to me this is to be expected. If you want a worry free experience, wait until the next new model comes out ...

15. Re: Being March and All... Mar 5, 2007, 00:38 banddirector

I'm sure banddirector wishes he were turning 32

Yeah, go ahead, rub it in...

12. Re: Being March and All... Mar 4, 2007, 23:40 banddirector

Knew mine was coming up, but ashamed to admit I forgot who else...

Mine's on the 18th!

6. Re: Update for Enahs and nin Mar 4, 2007, 18:59 banddirector

Fdisk is such an easy to use, intuitive utility; why the hell couldn't they include THAT on the damn CD?!?

Anyway, thanks for the link to ultimatebootcd...

1. Update for Enahs and nin Mar 4, 2007, 17:27 banddirector

A quick follow up on some comments you made Friday night about my virtual partition hell saga: I have WinXP Home, and the boot utilities *do not* include fdisk. There's a rudimentary utility that allows you to reformat your disk, but there is *not* one (like fdisk) that will allow you to set an active partition. Maybe WinXP Pro has it, but my copy of Home doesn't. The "recovery console" doesn't have fdisk on it (which to me is surprising, because it seems to have just about every other utility on it).

If you think I'm missing something, please let me know ...

3. OT - that was scary Mar 2, 2007, 22:55 banddirector

So for the first time since the computer rebuild, I finally fire up Norton Ghost to back up my new hard drive (I have two hard drives, the second being exclusively for backups in case the first one crashes). Ghost reboots into a "virtual partition" on the C drive, which is automatically deleted when the backup process is done. At least, that's how it's *supposed* to work. Something about my new hardware is apparently incompatible with Ghost 2003, because the backup process hung, and when I rebooted to Windows, it didn't go; instead, I was "stuck" in the virtual partition. You're supposed to use an executable file called "ghreboot" in case the auto process fails, but that didn't work either.

Now, Ghost has a utility called "gdisk", which is supposed to function like MS's fdisk. But, again, since the PC-DOS Ghost provided was incompatible with some part of my hardware, gdisk didn't work. I went to the net and found that this problem of virtual partition hell had happened to several people other than me, and the easy solution was to boot into MS-DOS (as opposed to PC-DOS, where I was stuck) and make the partition that has WinXP on it the "active" partition. This is all well and good, except for the last 3 iterations of my new systems, I didn't install a floppy drive. No problem, use an old Win98 boot disk. Oops, I no longer had one. What about the XP installation disk, which is also a boot disk. Well, it boots, BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE THE DAMN FDISK ON IT. Shit-on-a-stick, I'm screwed. Thankfully, one of my computer geek pals has an old Win98 disk, and I was able to use it and fdisk to fix the problem.

WHY THE HELL DOESN'T MS PUT BASIC UTILITIES ON IT'S INSTALL DISK IN CASE THERE'S A PROBLEM LIKE THIS??!?!?!?.

I mean really, how hard can it be? Oh well, now I have a copy of the old Win98 install disk, so I'm set. At least for now. Until sometime in the future when CDROMS are no longer compatible with MSDOS, then I'm screwed again .....

BTW, the Symantec people tried to help me, but they couldn't figure it out. But I give them credit for trying; they even called me back the next day to see if I figured it out. So all of you that think Symantec's help is bad, well, at least they tried. Even if they failed.

29. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2007, 17:40 banddirector

There have been some SPECTACULAR nitwits over the years

No kidding. It would be cool if the current one would go away, too .....

4. Re: No subject Mar 1, 2007, 23:07 banddirector

The one remedy that *always* works for me is holding my breath. And I really think it would work for everybody, but you have to do it right: you have to hold your breath until you damn near pass out.

Works every time ....

33. Vista update - in case anyone cares... Feb 28, 2007, 18:17 banddirector

I just found something "new" in, believe it or not, PC Gamer magazine, that you might find interesting:

Most of you already know that if you buy the upgrade version of Vista it can only be installed on a system that already has WinXP on it. While this is true, apparently you *can* do a "clean install" by having the Vista install process wipe your hard drive for you.

According to the article, using the upgrade version of Vista eventually brings you to a screen that offers two choices: either install Vista on top of XP (which, in theory, preserves all your files) OR you can do a clean install, which wipes the drive. Of course, you're expected to back up your files with "easy transfer" or something like that, because the wipe will reformat the drive.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who may have done this, to see if the process is as easy as described.....

26. Re: And now for something different Feb 28, 2007, 17:11 banddirector

Currently, I've eschewed my nice plush office chair for a hard wooden chair because of back problems. I'm amazed how much a decent chair can make a difference.

You can find a decent chair at Staples or Office Depot, but the only way to know you have one that works for you is to try them out. For several minutes.

42. Re: Traffic Idiocy Feb 27, 2007, 20:12 banddirector

This whole global warming debate is like a dog chasing its tail. Only, a really ugly dog that also has diahereah and is leaking while chasing his tail.

Thank you for the LOL of the day!

1886 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo