Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3251 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support
11. Re: Australian R18+ Rating Gains Government Support Dec 6, 2010, 08:47 Parallax Abstraction

Coolone wrote on Dec 5, 2010, 17:25:
So wait, can't the other AU States just tell South Australia to sod off? Where's the majority vote here?

From what I've read on the issue, all the Attorneys General have to unanimously approve the R18+ rating for it to come into effect. That was the big problem a while back because Michael Atkinson was literally the only one who didn't support it but his one vote was enough to stall it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 2, 2010, 15:27 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter: Still a clueless attention whore that the lazy gaming press keeps tripping over themselves to quote.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter
2. Re: Stuart Black's City Interactive Shooter Dec 1, 2010, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, they're usually a shovelware developer so I'm curious if they're willing to put AAA effort and funds behind that.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Splinter Cell 6 Revealed
13. removed Nov 27, 2010, 23:30 Parallax Abstraction

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 28, 2010, 13:47.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > CD Projekt vs Piracy
15. Re: CD Projekt vs Piracy Nov 22, 2010, 23:35 Parallax Abstraction

Acleacius wrote on Nov 22, 2010, 22:54:
Probably a big mistake.

First off, we're in the middle of a world wide recession, so there is a good chance many who do try to download it, probably couldn't afford the game in the first place.

Then they shouldn't be playing it. I can't afford a lot of things I want, it doesn't mean I get them for free.

Secondly if it's like everything else in human nature, the people who download the game will be free PR. Make a good game, they will be talking about your game like crack. For every person downloading they could easily help sell 2 copies of the game.

You have any reliable stats at all to back that up? If piracy worked the way you claim, companies would love it because they'd sell twice as many copies on average than get downloaded. We all know that's not the case.

Thirdly, good games sell, period.

Absolute nonsense. Psychonauts says hi, so does System Shock 2, Thief II and literally hundreds of other games that have been universally acclaimed and that no one bought. A quality product makes it more likely to sell yes but it's by no means a guarantee. The industry wouldn't be bleeding to death if all they had to do was put out games that many people thought were good.

Fourth if you make a bad policy it will cost you thousands of customers from ill will. It happens all the time, dumb publisher moves can tank sales.

There's just no pleasing some people. They put it out with DRM, people bitch. They put it out without DRM but still say they will punish those who steal it and people bitch. It seems some won't be happy unless they literally just put the game out DRM free and accept that 5 times as many people will play it as pay for it. And in a few years when all the good developers have lost their shirts, the same people will bitch that there are no good games anymore and all we have is Call of Duty 15. Global game sales are in decline right now and have been for some time but because gamers demand better graphics, the budgets aren't shrinking. Publishers and developers everywhere are swimming in red ink. How do you propose they survive if they can't ensure people pay for their games? If you put your financial future on the line to develop something only to see a bunch of entitled asshats using it without compensating your effort, you'd be fine with that would you? Because that's essentially what you're asking here.

Of course they will just blame people who down load, instead of their stupid ideas.

Right, cause the scumbag thieves who feel that they're entitled to everything for free (or at least the things where they can hide behind their screen and steal it rather than have to do it in front of someone's face) have no responsibility here whatsoever. If they actually paid for what they played, there wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not saying that I agree with CDP's position here. I think the RIAA has proven that suing pirates does nothing to solve the ultimate problem. But until people have a better solution that isn't simply "release it and accept that 75% of people will steal it from you", I don't know what you expect. Whether a digital good or not, content creators are entitled to charge what they want for their products and if you don't like the price, you don't have to partake. This is an entertainment product, not bread and water, there is no justification for saying that anyone should be entitled to it for free. Can they ultimately stop all piracy? Of course not. That doesn't make the pirates any better than common thieves though.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2010, 23:40.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > C64 RPG Newcomer Nears
12. Re: C64 RPG Newcomer Nears Nov 16, 2010, 07:47 Parallax Abstraction

Fun fact: Did you guys know that the agonising load times on the C64 were the result of an engineering flaw? The engineers originally designed the drive with a bunch of redundant circuit pathways for debugging. They marked them as being removed from the paper schematic they sent to the Japanese factory (yep, they used paper schematics then) but someone at the factory misread the plans and re-added the redundant pathways. By the time the problem was found, the drives were already well into production and since Commodore was in poor financial shape prior to the C64 release, they couldn't afford to fix it and had to leave them that way. Since there was no way to engineer them out without breaking compatibility, they became a permanent part of the lineup.

Yep, all those hours of our lives spent waiting for things to load didn't have to be. That said, I had an Atari 130XE growing up that loaded super fast but I still wanted a C64.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC H.A.W.X. 2 Nov 13, 2010, 10:36 Parallax Abstraction

Blackhawk wrote on Nov 12, 2010, 22:39:
Ya know, there are lots of reasons not to like HAWX 2. Not being a flight sim isn't one of them. It's an arcade game. It's like complaining that Call of Duty isn't a realistic infantry simulator. That's not its purpose or intent.

I thought HAWX 1 was OK but this one is garbage in comparison. The story's even worse (which I wasn't sure was possible) and the missions are horribly balanced for solo play. If you don't play 4 player co-op, the other 3 squadmates are replaced with AIs, AIs who you can't command and who do literally nothing but fly around either not shooting at anything or shooting for effect only. The enemies also only target you and you'll quickly run out of flares so hitting some targets will take forever as you have to be constantly dodging missles which the enemies never run out of. Some of the last missions will drive you nuts because you're on a time limit, have to cover multiple distant parts of the map yourself and will often find yourself restarting because you ran out of missles.

The game is actually a step backwards from what they already accomplished in the first one. If you want a game like this, get that one on sale and ignore this one.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Ships 5 Million
17. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Ships 5 Million Nov 8, 2010, 15:13 Parallax Abstraction

Well, Bethesda now feels completely justified in shipping something utterly broken I'm sure. I realise that some are having no issues but from what I Read, the majority are and by giving them so much money, they now know they can release a broken product and still get rich. I haven't bought the game yet because I'm waiting until the major issues I'm reading about get fixed. Shame more people haven't done the same.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Free Frontiers Pack Weekend
1. Re: Free Frontiers Pack Weekend Nov 1, 2010, 22:16 Parallax Abstraction

It would be a good deal if anyone was playing these. Hence why they're likely doing this. It's a shame because they're both really good games but they have no community at all.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Zenimax Buys Tango Gameworks
5. Re: Zenimax Buys Tango Gameworks Oct 29, 2010, 08:51 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, cause Bethesda themselves have such a shining track record in that area. Fallout New Vegas is one patch away from having received more support than Fallout 3 did (the patches that did nothing but add support for more DLC don't count.)  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced
5. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 24, 2010, 14:51 Parallax Abstraction

From everything I've heard, Global Agenda's terrible and some of Hi-Rez's PR stunts yet where they try to hype their own game off the back of Realtime Worlds' failure and the like are just tasteless. I hope they hire better designers for whatever they do with Tribes.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details
51. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Diaries, Launch Details Oct 19, 2010, 07:36 Parallax Abstraction

Just read Jeff Gerstmann's review on Giant Bomb. Apparently even the 360 version is stacked to the hilt with bugs and glitches. Characters clipping into the world, floating in the air, frequent lockups and crashes and apparently the frame rate and loading times got worse the further into the game he got. I'm guessing these issues will probably be present in all versions of the game. Since Bethesda's idea of post-release support for Fallout 3 was to only patch the game to allow the addition of more DLC packs, I think I'll wait a while to see if they actually bother to put effort into fixing this one. It's another Obsidian title, well written (apparently better story than Fallout 3) that needed another few months in the oven.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Lost Planet 2
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Lost Planet 2 Oct 16, 2010, 16:43 Parallax Abstraction

I just beat this game recently on the 360 with a couple of friends. If and only if you have a good co-op group, it can be pretty fun despite the many bad design decisions throughout. The menus are frustrating, the story is nonsensical, the upgrade system is just plain weird and the friendly AI is completely idiotic. It's virtually impossible to beat the game solo as a result. It's funny that Kenji Inafune has been railing against Japanese developers in the press saying they need to improve their design methods for the west when he Executive Produced this game and it's a textbook example of everything he complains about.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Midnight Madness
17. Re: Fallout New Vegas Midnight Madness Oct 16, 2010, 14:23 Parallax Abstraction

I'm waiting on some reviews and community opinion on this before I move on it. Aside from it being Obsidian, Fallout 3 was a buggy mess that had tons of problems on PC (not the least of which was requiring Aero be disabled and the INI file being altered so it wouldn't crash on multi-core systems, neither solution which was supported by Bethesda) and got horrendous patch support. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same issues in this one. I hope I'm wrong but yeah, Bethesda has almost as bad a polish record as Obsidian.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ion Assault PC Plans
1. Re: Ion Assault PC Plans Oct 12, 2010, 10:45 Parallax Abstraction

I really loved this game on 360 but it got no promotion and nobody bought it. It's a cool and unique take on the genre. If it's cheap and has a demo, I'd highly recommend checking it out when it arrives if you like this type of thing.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
30. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 18:32 Parallax Abstraction

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:48:
Sympathy = Zero

I wanted to buy Singularity but they decided not to release it on Steam here in the UK. And Wolfenstein didn't appear to a while after release and hasn't been discounted, so I skipped that as well. Two games I wanted but that their terrible business practices prevented me from buying.

Yeah cause all those development staff who are now out of work had so much to do with that. Nice to see you lump them in with the likely one person who made the decisions you disapprove of.

This seem to be the Kotick business model. Did you have one title flop despite not getting any PR backing at all? Then you get the axe! He's going to bleed out all his development talent and then wonder why he can't get anything good made anymore.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gold - Fallout: New Vegas
7. Re: Gold - Fallout: New Vegas Oct 1, 2010, 19:03 Parallax Abstraction

Hopefully this won't be hugely buggy and largely unsupported with patches like Fallout 3 was. Oh wait, Bethesda and Obsidian...

I've still got hope as I really liked Fallout 3 when it wasn't freezing and crashing or refusing to work on Windows 7 unless you shut Aero off.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > MoH Taliban Renamed
23. Re: MoH Taliban Renamed Oct 1, 2010, 11:25 Parallax Abstraction

Blue wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 10:51:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 10:36:
And while we're at it, we're going to go back and change the names in all our WW2 games so you aren't fighting "Nazis", you are fighting "Generic Non-descript Enemies".

Just to be sure this is clear, the renaming was not because in the game you would be fighting *against* a force called the Taliban, it was so in multiplayer games one side would not playing *as* the Taliban.

In Company of Heroes, you can play as the Germans. I'm not sure if they were called Nazis (I think they were the Axis) but you could still play as German forces who spoke German and killed Allied troops.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light & Demo Released
2. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light & Demo Released Sep 28, 2010, 16:22 Parallax Abstraction

Oh there's co-op, just local only which works great on PC don't you know.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3
4. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 11:16 Parallax Abstraction

Thing is, Kotick didn't cancel it. He let Double Fine take the game somewhere else and then when it got a lot of buzz and looked like it might succeed, he sued to stop EA from publishing it. Essentially, he kicked them to the curb until he realised they may be profitable after all and then thought it was his right to get them back. Convenient how he leaves that out.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3251 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo