Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3230 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Strange Quote of the Day
25. Re: Strange Quote of the Day Sep 21, 2010, 07:13 Parallax Abstraction

Kudo Tsunoda is famous for his big mouth. The difference between him and other blowhards like Bobby Kotick is that I think Tsunoda purposefully does it to get attention whereas Kotick just doesn't know when to keep his trap shut. The best way to get people talking about you (and by extension the product you're promoting) is to still up controversy. The only difference here is that when someone like Rockstar does it, it sells more games. When Tsunoda does, it only further solidifies hardcore gamer's completely disinterest in Kinect.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Kotick on Bungie & Indies
5. Re: Kotick on Bungie & Indies Sep 20, 2010, 15:52 Parallax Abstraction

Sorry but Rebellion and Terminal Reality are high quality independents? Have they seen Bloodrayne and Rogue Warrior? While Ghostbusters was marginally decent, neither of these teams have put out anything well reviewed by either the gaming press or community in a long time.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GOG.com in Flux
19. Re: GOG.com in Flux Sep 19, 2010, 20:05 Parallax Abstraction

The current rumour is that this is a PR stunt to promote GOG leaving the beta stage and going into full release. If it is, the PR guy who thought of it should be canned. If it's true that they are going to a client/pro-DRM model, they better make damn sure that every game runs 100% on every modern version of Windows. There are still titles there that don't work under Windows 7 and I still have a couple of DOS titles that don't display properly.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Tease
11. Re: Fallout MMOG Tease Sep 19, 2010, 17:43 Parallax Abstraction

Fallout Online = The New Duke Nukem Forever  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Alpha Protocol Patched
9. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 07:38 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 07:19:
Kotor 2 anyone?

Sorry, as much as I'd love to not blame Obsidian, history does speak for itself.

KoTOR2 was also not Obsidian's fault entirely. LucasArts pulled up the release and forced them to put it out earlier than it was originally set for in order to make a Christmas rush. Not saying Obsidian's perfect by any means (and there's been stories about internal company politics negatively affecting the design of Alpha Protocol) but they've been screwed over by publishers more than once. Given what a buggy mess at least the PC version of Fallout 3 was (and still is) and how bad some other recent Bethesda releases have been, I am nervous about Fallout: New Vegas.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed
5. Re: Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed Sep 10, 2010, 21:40 Parallax Abstraction

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 20:57:
Console games don't have EULAs. This is more about the resale of business software.

If the industry can make used game sales illegal, you bet the will start having them soon.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2010, 15:43 Parallax Abstraction

FarmVille and the other mindless garbage Zynga produces aren't games. They have no point, you can't win or lose them and they have no ultimate goal. They are progress bars you pay to advance but which never reach 100%. The are tons of actual games on Facebook, what Zynga creates are graphical dopamine dispensers, designed to make you part with money to think you're accomplishing something when in reality, you are achieving nothing.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > David Allen Speaks
40. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 15:47 Parallax Abstraction

My opinion on this (which means absolutely nothing especially considering I couldn't care less about Alganon) is that we have two people speaking, both of whom have a vested interest in the outcome of this scenario and both of whom are acting very unprofessionally by shooting their traps off in public when they should be letting their lawyers handle this and leave it to the court. If this goes to trial, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge lambasted them both and slapped gag orders on them.

David Allen has history in the industry as does Derek Smart and depending who you ask, both are not good. The only thing I can say is like Derek or hate him, he's been running a company successfully for many years now whereas David Allen has only a string of failures to his name. Quest Online is also still operating under Derek's leadership whereas if all accounts are true, it would have died a long time ago if Allen was still at the helm.

I think there's probably valid points on both sides of this. The unfortunate thing is the employees and customers who are caught in the middle of this battle that's clearly more about ego than the vision.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Take-Two Financial Results
2. Re: Take-Two Financial Results Sep 2, 2010, 23:16 Parallax Abstraction

The rumour is that Rockstar Toronto is currently working on the PC version of Red Dead Redemption since it sold way better than they expected. However, this is the same studio that did the PC version of GTA IV and we all know how long that took to get semi-playable. Hopefully the experience they have with the engine will mean the port's half decent this time.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 1, 2010, 09:49 Parallax Abstraction

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 20:26:
$65 for the controller with the Play&Charge kit (which is $20 on its own for... a battery); it's not being offered independently.

This is what bugs me the most about it. I would happily buy one of the new controllers to get a decent D-Pad and both of my current ones are starting to act up. However, I already have a Play & Charge kit and the thing was the worst $20 I ever spent. The battery packs they use are garbage and within a year, both of the ones I got were holding only about half the charge they did when new. One of them only lasts about 2 hours now and the other lasts about 5. They're supposed to last 10-15.

Charging through the USB ports also takes almost as long as the batteries last as it's a trickle charge. The 360 is supposed to keep charging them after you turn it off but it will only do that for about two hours and then stops whether they're fully charged or not. There's no way I'm going to pay for more of that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Preorders
6. Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Preorders Sep 1, 2010, 08:55 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently the company still exists but is focusing on game development exclusively now. Odd since they were acquired by Amazon who presumably did so because of their online sales. I also seem to remember that Reflexive became an online portal because most of the games they developed were pretty bad and they weren't succeeding that way. Very weird.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Analyst: Mafia II "Unlikely to Achieve Profitability"
13. Re: Analyst: Mafia II "Unlikely to Achieve Profitability" Aug 30, 2010, 21:40 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter is not credible. I'd say neither is any press outlet that covers this hack but unfortunately that's every outlet so I guess that doesn't work.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
3. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

I can't imagine why they'd do this. ATI's a recognisable brand name associated with graphics technology and there are zillions of ATI branded cards and games that show the ATI logo in them. You already own the company, why cause confusion in the marketplace by changing the name everyone knows to one that by their own admission, will make less savvy consumers think they won't work with Intel systems? Really stupid move.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Acclaim Closed
11. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 14:27 Parallax Abstraction

LittleMe wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:42:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:10:
I don't get it, why spend the money to buy a company just to close them down a couple of months later?

Maybe to buy the games code or to own the rights to the particular franchises?

Possibly but since all the games are being shut down, I don't know what they would gain from that. IP is useless if you're not doing anything with it. Maybe they just took over Acclaim and weren't able to find out in advance that the company was in bad shape and just decided to cut their losses. It's just very odd that this happened this way so suddenly.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Acclaim Closed
6. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:10 Parallax Abstraction

I don't get it, why spend the money to buy a company just to close them down a couple of months later?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mafia II
60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II Aug 24, 2010, 14:16 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 13:00:
I'm starting to think you are simply a troll.

I'm starting to wonder if he's Woody, based on his jew comment.

Or just an alternate account for Surf. Rationalising piracy and antisemitism are two of his most common types of posts.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Brink Delay Explained
7. Re: Brink Delay Explained Aug 23, 2010, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

I don't have an article unfortunately but I do know that the Giant Bombcast and a couple of other podcasts were saying it looked really rough and had a lot of gameplay issues. Interestingly though, I'm listening to Weekend Confirmed right now and they are saying the build they played at QuakeCon was a blast so maybe things are turning around. I hope so, the concept of Brink sounds great.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Brink Delay Explained
4. Re: Brink Delay Explained Aug 23, 2010, 08:07 Parallax Abstraction

This game got some fairly negative press after E3, I imagine that while they aren't necessarily adding more features, they're holding this game to try to deal with the numerous issues they were told about. This is supposed to be a big release for Bethesda and Splash Damage and they probably don't want to push it out early. It's nice to see them listening to feedback and taking it into account though.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > BFG RMA Refusal
6. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 11:18 Parallax Abstraction

I think how legal this is depends on the state. I think in some places, declaring bankruptcy gets you out of warranty obligations and in other places, it requires that you either find someone else to take it over or set aside enough money to honour warranties on what you have out in the field. I guess where BFG is, they don't have to care. Still surprising they didn't sell the warranty obligations to someone else though since they need capital to pay off creditors. They should also be stating on their site what the situation is as there are probably still cards out there that people are buying, not knowing that the manufacturer is going bust.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > id: No Tech 5 Licensing
34. Re: id: No Tech 5 Licensing Aug 13, 2010, 07:21 Parallax Abstraction

zirik wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 04:38:
Warskull wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 03:18:
Tech 4 was id's weakest moment. Tech 2 and Tech 3 absolutely dominated the market. Modern Warfare's current engine was built off the tech 3 engine.

IW stopped using id tech after COD1. they have been using their own graphics engine since COD2.

No they haven't. If you look in the credits of World at War, Modern Warfare and I believe Modern Warfare 2, it still says "portions of this software are copyright id Software, Inc." They've obviously heavily modified the tech but it is still id Tech underneath and unless Infinity Ward bought a lifetime perpetual license, id is likely still getting a small cut of every Call of Duty game sold.

I find it surprising that this came out the day after John Carmack was showing how Tech5 was so advanced that he could get a version of Rage running on a bloody iPhone with fairly high fidelity. There were probably a large number of developers salivating over that who won't get access to it now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3230 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo