Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3157 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > The Grinder to PCs
4. Re: The Grinder to PCs Feb 4, 2010, 21:57 Parallax Abstraction

This isn't surprising given that their last Wii exclusive The Conduit was a massive failure. Though that was partially because it was a Wii game and partially because well...it was a High Voltage Software game. If the Wii is still the lead platform for this though, I can't see the other versions having a chance of being any good. When a company whose specialty is licensed shovelware tries to do AAA, I am not hopeful.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FarmVille to MSN
4. Re: FarmVille to MSN Feb 4, 2010, 19:41 Parallax Abstraction

Wonder if this one will sign up up for cell phone scams like the Facebook one does.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > THQ Layoffs, Digital Refocus
3. Re: THQ Layoffs, Digital Refocus Feb 3, 2010, 18:34 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, cause stripping your studios of their unique identities is a great way to boost morale. Why does refocusing them to downloadable games require a name change?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Drivers
9. Re: New ATI Catalyst Drivers Jan 29, 2010, 01:28 Parallax Abstraction

I concur that these drivers are junk. Installed on a Radeon 4850 512MB on Windows 7 64-bit and my display is currently 640x480 and Windows says the driver cannot be started. A complete wipe with DriverCleaner and reinstallation hasn't helped. And to boot, AMD's site makes it almost impossible to redownload previous versions. Not impressed.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details
14. Re: Cancelled Fallout Extreme Details Jan 27, 2010, 18:02 Parallax Abstraction

Make sure to drop a link if you write that blog post. Those sound like interesting stories.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Apple iPad Announced
25. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 16:02 Parallax Abstraction

wolve wrote on Jan 27, 2010, 15:40:
Not surprisingly, usual Apple / Mac haters bashing on Blues. This sucker is still going to sell like hotcakes. Just look at how many iPhones & iPod Touches have sold.

Right because disliking a device that costs 2-3 times as much as a netbook (before you tack on the $130 for 3G) and has less horsepower, no expandability, doesn't even do proper widescreen (1024x768, are we back in 2000?) and will only run the apps that Apple permits you to is just hating on it. Please. I'll be very shocked if this sells beyond the hardcore early adopters. It's too expensive for average consumers and not portable enough. The iPhone and iPod Touch work because you can carry them on your hip. This is too big for that, doesn't do anything beyond what those devices do and costs a lot more.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Apple iPad Announced
15. Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 15:25 Parallax Abstraction

Wow, an iPhone that costs substantially more, lacks the ability to make phone calls, is too big to keep on you at all times and has less expandability than even the cheapest netbook. Whoop-dee-doo. And I can already see the press (including the gaming press, why is GamePro covering a product from a company that has only a passing interest in gaming?) drooling over it like it's the second coming. It's sad that there are millions of people who would swoon over a turd in a box as long as Steve Jobs had a hand in designing it.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 15:26.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Medal of Honor Using Two Engines
2. Re: Medal of Honor Using Two Engines Jan 25, 2010, 17:40 Parallax Abstraction

Two engines, even though the DICE tech is in-house and royalty free? It's kind of hard to take publishers bitching about spiraling costs seriously when massive inefficiencies like this happen.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mumbo Jumbo Pops PopCap for $4.6M
9. Re: Mumbo Jumbo Pops PopCap for $4.6M Jan 25, 2010, 15:02 Parallax Abstraction

Now if PopCap would only get forced to pay out money to the people whose game ideas they've ripped off wholesale over the years. Some of their most successful titles like Zuma are copy/pastes of titles released by others years before.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 21, 2010, 00:06 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter: Two bit hack who get paid to make wild, uninformed guesses. The gaming press needs to stop listening to him.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Activision Thought $7M for Blizzard was "Insane"
2. Re: Activision Though $7M for Blizzard was "Insane" Jan 19, 2010, 10:58 Parallax Abstraction

Historical statements like that prove just how little forward vision Bobby Kotick has. Current numbers are already showing that much of what made Activision an industry hit lately and made Kotick some kind of amazing CEO was actually just dumb luck and riding fads which are quickly dying off. I predict WoW is the only thing that's going to keep Activision in the black this year as the few franchises they've been pouring money into are quickly starting to die off. CoD may be an exception to that but even it's massive success isn't enough to stave off the losses they'll incur from their huge investment in the music genre which is in a death spiral right now. Kotick got lucky for a couple of years and I think 2010 will be the year that shows he really has no clue.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Avatar Game: What Went Wrong
4. Re: Avatar Game: What Went Wrong Jan 16, 2010, 20:23 Parallax Abstraction

Not that I disagree that the game was crap (it definitely was) but you have to admit that being crap hasn't stopped most major movie licensed games from selling a bazillion copies. I figured that given Avatar's massive success, this would have at least broken even. I hope that's a sign for the future that stamped out movie licensed games won't sell anymore. Maybe we'll see a few more good ones.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers
4. Re: DICE on Bad Company 2 Servers Jan 15, 2010, 16:59 Parallax Abstraction

Sorry but after the abysmal state nearly every Battlefield product has shipped in (and largely remains in to this day), they don't get a pass. Talking about "protecting the game's integrity" when you ship products that are utterly unplayable for multiple patches is disingenuous at best.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Conviction & RUSE Delayed, MP Assassin's Creed Plans
6. Re: Splinter Cell Conviction & R.U.S.E Delayed, MP Assassin's Creed Plans Jan 13, 2010, 14:51 Parallax Abstraction

Why do businesses use "fiscal years" instead of just calendar years? My company's FY begins in July, but I could never figure out why.

Tax benefits mostly. If you structure your fiscal year in such a way that the most profitable quarters for you are in different periods in the fiscal year, you can sometimes get some significant tax benefits from it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > On Irrational's Cancelled Zombie Game
5. Re: On Irrational's Cancelled Zombie Game Jan 13, 2010, 13:17 Parallax Abstraction

Looks like all they did was mod Swat 4 a little. Good thing it was canceled.

It was a prototype. They discussed this on their podcast but didn't mention it in the video. They did that prototype in a week using SWAT 4 assets to try to pitch the idea to publishers. They had absolutely no budget so they didn't have time to do many unique assets for it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > EA CEO on the Hot Seat?
5. Re: EA CEO on the Hot Seat? Jan 13, 2010, 12:23 Parallax Abstraction

I can't see Disney shareholders being willing to spend billions more in cash to buy EA after already spending $4B to buy Marvel, especially since they'd be buying a company that's bleeding rapidly. I think by the end of this year, the focus will be on Activision because I think the only thing that's going to keep them from going deep in the red this year is WoW Cataclysm. All their other cash cow franchises are going to dry up this year (many are already calling the music game genre a dying one which Activision banked heavily on.) I think Bobby Kotick is going to end up looking more the fool this year for having no forward vision and simply riding the temporary wave of good luck he tripped and fell backwards into.

Have to say though, I bet Riccitiello is glad he didn't end up spending that $2B he wanted to buy Take-Two with.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > AvP Demo Planned
11. Re: AvP Demo Planned Jan 10, 2010, 19:19 Parallax Abstraction

A demo would certainly be nice because form everything I've heard on podcasts where they've seen preview versions of this game, it looks like it's going to be garbage. Hopefully the demo will show otherwise.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Irrational Games Name Revived
10. Re: Irrational Games Name Revived Jan 9, 2010, 00:40 Parallax Abstraction

Tribes Vengeance was more Vivendi's fault than anyone else as they directed its development. Not that anything that could have been done with it would have pleased the Tribes community. T:V could have been the best game ever made and come with hundred dollar bills in every box and the Tribes community still would have whined about it.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Infinity Ward MMOG Rumor
10. Re: Infinity Ward MMOG Rumor Jan 8, 2010, 12:33 Parallax Abstraction

Kill 15 Muslim extremists and return to Captain Price

That's the winner right there.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GameStop Analysis Revisited
1. Re: GameStop Analysis Revisited Jan 7, 2010, 18:08 Parallax Abstraction

I'd personally rather talk about all the deserved hate towards Michael Hackter. As usual, he's gushed over when he's right and never called out on when he's wrong (which is most of the game.) I wish I could make a six figure salary to talk out of my ass and never be held to account for my errors.  
Parallax Abstraction

3157 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo