Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
6. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 14:18 Parallax Abstraction

Flatline wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:47:
Now we know where the "restructuring" funding came from.

If they just keep trying, one day Warface will become the cash cow they know it can be. One day...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2014, 13:05 Parallax Abstraction

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 10:11:
I avoid Intel laptops, might have to look into the Kaveri based ones. Intel's best GPU on the cpu die just outright sucks. Can't tell you how many people I have had to add a graphics card and power supply on desktops because they won't play kids games.

Of course with a laptop you are stuck with what you get, hence some advice, if the laptop has a intel graphics chip, avoid it unless of course it is only for business and you are not doing any sophisticated business graphics.

I edit and render a lot of video and I SO wish Intel would decouple Quick Sync from its craptastic "GPUs." When rendering a project in Vegas, it's about 4x faster on my Core i7 laptop with Intel HD 4600 graphics than on my super overclocked i7 desktop with a GTX 770 because NVIDIA's purposefully gimped CUDA cores in anything beyond the 5xx series to try to push professionals to their insanely overpriced Quadro cards. The only way I can get Quick Sync on my desktop is if I use the horrendous Virtu MVP software to enable the on-board video at the same time as my GPU. That software is the absolute worst though and most of the time, the feature doesn't work.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 28, 2014, 16:10 Parallax Abstraction

dubfanatic wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 15:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 13:38:
And I said it before, but KS should really start getting involved in enforcing KS rules properly....

There was no rule broken. Idiots and their money are quickly parted, and Kickstarter will happily facilitate that (and take their fees for doing so)

Except Kickstarter rules DO state that if a project cannot or will not fulfill a backer reward, they are required to provide a refund if requested:

"A Project Creator is not required to grant a Backer’s request for a refund unless the Project Creator is unable or unwilling to fulfill the reward.
Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.
Project Creators may cancel or refund a Backer’s pledge at any time and for any reason, and if they do so, are not required to fulfill the reward."

As I understand it, aside from the AirBnB squatting drama which isn't directly related to the Kickstarter, these guys have apparently said they don't plan to fulfill some of the backer reward tiers. So if they're refusing refunds as well, they are violating KS' terms and KS should be getting involved.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2014, 11:11 Parallax Abstraction

How about instead of 3D playback that virtually no one cares about, you give us the proper system standby and resume functionality that was promised before launch?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
81. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 09:26 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 06:53:
The flavor of feminism that is prevalent on the Internet today straight up isn't working. The Internet is more toxic for women than it has ever been, and like I said, people are becoming polarized instead of working together to find solutions.

This is in regards to the recent new hire at Giant Bomb but I think TotalBiscuit hit the nail on the head. There are important issues in games like representation that should be discussed but the discussion has become so dominated by bull-headed people on both sides who only think in binary absolutes and treat even mild disagreement as a call to war that a lot of reasonable participants are just throwing up their hands and saying "I don't agree with either of you so I'm out." That's quickly what I'm becoming.

I agree with the core causes of lack of representation of women and minorities in games and the games industry. I'd love to see more of both, seriously. But the absolute entrenchment of people on both sides of this debate who basically say "You either agree with me in full or you're as bad as the trolls." is only harming discourse. You can agree with a cause without fully supporting the position of its more extreme supporters (on either side) and having a different point of view on how to solve a problem.

The Polygon article in question here is not really what I'd call an extreme example but there have been far greater ones on that site and far more so elsewhere. A regular Polygon contributor is the person TB is referring to at the start of his commentary. Treating an important social discussion as a war instead of a discussion eventually leaves none but the most extreme participants present and that does no good for anyone.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - OlliOlli
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - OlliOlli Jul 23, 2014, 08:58 Parallax Abstraction

I've played a bunch of this on Vita. This game's great but it'll kick your ass a whole bunch, especially if you get obsessive about the bonus objectives.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
9. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 14:09 Parallax Abstraction

Ruh Roh Rhaggy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
27. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 21:47 Parallax Abstraction

siapnar wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 13:03:
How is this project still allowed to continue on Kickstarter?

Because Kickstarter only gets paid when projects fund. It's not in their interests to block something that will profit them, especially when everyone will have forgotten about this in 6 months.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2014, 20:51 Parallax Abstraction

Humble Mumble?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 17, 2014, 14:54 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 09:56:
From what sales figures to what though? Weren't their May sales awful?

I saw on Twitter somewhere that apparently the sales doubled last month (which were not great) and only in the US. Always be suspicious when they don't state actual numbers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 09:52 Parallax Abstraction

He may be a non-gamer but this sounds very much in line with Facebook's motivations as a company to me:

“Imagine a shared universe MMORPG, expressly operated by a company that *already knows all your friends*, that's trying to maximize your engagement (‘hey, all your friends are playing right now, don't you want to join too?’), selling your attention to advertisers, and by the way, also building a detailed profile on everything you do so they can do all of this even better in the future. It's okay, go on doing whatever you want, we just want to watch! (Through your own eyeballs if possible).”

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns?
8. Re: New Crytek Rumor: Homefront Director Resigns? Jul 13, 2014, 15:51 Parallax Abstraction

Wraith wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 15:17:
And just for reference - guess what engine Star Citizen uses.

Currently they can't even get SLI working properly - with the demise of Crytek, Star Citizen is looking very fucking shaky indeed.

If Crytek goes under, they'll either get restructured into a smaller company or CryEngine will get spun off into its own company. That engine is used quite extensively and it would probably be able to sustain itself if Crytek wasn't so overextended in development. The tech won't go anywhere.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > 75 New Steam Greenlights
7. Re: 75 New Steam Greenlights Jul 12, 2014, 20:11 Parallax Abstraction

Steam is becoming the disorganised garbage heap that is the App Store or Google Play more and more with each new batch of these. Not that most of what they've approving without Greenlight these days is much better.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak
8. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Talks a Blue Streak Jul 10, 2014, 10:58 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 10:23:
I try not to be petty about these things because a fun game is awesome no matter who makes it but he was a pretty ridiculous asshat to PC gamers over the years. Free or not there are so many ways to spend leisure time these days, he is going to have to do better in the PR department if he wants people interested.

He joked on Twitter the other day that he should totally hire Phil Fish to run PR for him. I would personally love that, just to watch the incredible train wreck that would ensue.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype
13. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 8, 2014, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

Wildone wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 21:50:
or put it another way..."We cant make money from this on the console version so yea, F*** you PC gamers"

Or you know, maybe it's not worth throwing a bunch of development time and resources at supporting a product that's not even out yet, won't be any time soon and barely has any active users outside of developers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Airtight Games Closed
2. Re: Airtight Games Closed Jul 2, 2014, 15:12 Parallax Abstraction

Always sucks to see people out of work but I'm surprised they lasted this long. They've put out several games and all of them have met with tepid receptions at best. Quantum Conundrum was their best reviewed I think and it's one of the few games I couldn't finish because I just found it incredibly dull. I do want to try Murdered Soul Suspect out when I have the time and money but I've heard similar issues with it too.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
21. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 22:42 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 22:26:
OH, I don't doubt he has money. And he wouldn't be the first KS to ask for others funds instead of his own, either...

Oh absolutely. What I mean is that he may possibly try a Kickstarter, it's just one of those where I'd be like "Yeah, no. If you believe in this that much, you can fund it yourself." I'll never say that rich people shouldn't be allowed to use Kickstarter but I do think it's not necessarily within the "spirit" of it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
18. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 19:08:
McTurbo wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 19:03:
Hmmmm.. did Oculus VR make another hire?

My guess is a KS, though I have nothing to back that up with (and probably wrong)...

Even before getting a payday for Oculus, he was rumoured to be worth at least $15M. He's definitely one of those developers who doesn't need crowdfunding, unless he plans on getting back into AAA.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit
13. Re: X: Rebirth Goes 64-Bit Jun 28, 2014, 18:15 Parallax Abstraction

Slashman wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 14:27:
And according to this interview, the CEO still doesn't get why people don't like the game and has no intention of really making the big changes needed.

It's like he's saying they made a great game and people just don't get how great it is.

When did He Who Shall Not Be Named start working for Egosoft? Actually, their name is oddly fitting when you think about it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 27, 2014, 13:59 Parallax Abstraction

And 85 of them are Early Access.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo