Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3258 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Delay
12. Re: Dungeon Siege III Delay Apr 8, 2011, 07:50 Parallax Abstraction

Ray Ban wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 03:07:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 22:53:
Yeah, Kotor 2, NWN 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas. Yeah they NEVER get enough time to polish games. I won't even mention the extra year Alpha Protocol got.

It's been stated several times that nothing was done on Alpha Protocol during that time. Atari wouldn't spend a cent more on the game. We were probably lucky (at least in my opinion) that the game was released at all.

As a sidenote: people at Obsidian have said that AP didn't end up as the game they had envisioned. Atari has to take part of the blame since they interfered in the design process and pushed the game in a different direction.

Sega published Alpha Protocol, not Atari. Also, do you have any links on how nothing was done to it in the last year? I never read anything about that but I'd like to.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Specs
16. Re: The Witcher 2 Specs Apr 5, 2011, 13:42 Parallax Abstraction

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 11:36:
Which means they have absolutely no adapted gui nor gameplay for the PC version nor optimized controls to m/kb.

Big difference between "supports" and "requires". Consolitis is always a worry, but in this case, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

This. Crysis officially supported the Xbox 360 controller and the game was nigh impossible to play with it. Supporting consoles controller != console port. Given that the console versions of Witcher 1 were cancelled too, I'd be surprised to see this one end up there either. Starting a story heavy series on the second iteration doesn't generally bode well for sales.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Anno 2070 Announced
8. Re: Anno 2070 Announced Apr 4, 2011, 16:09 Parallax Abstraction

I'll definitely jump on this too if they don't use their always-connected DRM. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood doesn't so I hope that's a good sign. Dawn of Discovery was awesome and that idea in a futuristic setting would be awesome.

Also Ubisoft, I will buy Settlers 7 right now if you remove the DRM from it too.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > SOE Cuts Confirmed, The Agency Cancelled
6. Re: SOE Cuts Confirmed, The Agency Cancelled Mar 31, 2011, 19:05 Parallax Abstraction

Tusker wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 18:31:
The Agency was shaping up to be quite interesting - surely they can resurrect it as F2P, if that's the way they're going?

I think it was already announced as going Free to Play. Looks like they thought even that wouldn't allow it to make money.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GameStop Acquiring Impulse
8. Re: GameStop Acquiring Impulse Mar 31, 2011, 19:04 Parallax Abstraction

Ever since the abomination that was Impulse's release of Dragon Age, I haven't bought from them since. Either GameStop made them an offer they couldn't refuse for the platform or Stardock is not very financially healthy right now. I know Wardell was saying that Elemental hurt Stardock, I wonder if it was worse than first thought.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Grim Dawn Trailer
4. Re: Grim Dawn Trailer Mar 29, 2011, 11:54 Parallax Abstraction

Definitely. I'm quite interested in seeing how this progresses.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Rogue Admin Survey
3. Re: Rogue Admin Survey Mar 29, 2011, 09:26 Parallax Abstraction

"Well, they're crooked too" isn't an excuse to be crooked yourself. It's not your network, it's your employer's network. Don't like their restrictions? Too bad. You are paid to do a job, if they didn't agree to benefits beyond that (i.e. letting you run a server), then you aren't entitled to, period. I'm one of two IT administrators at our company and while we're very light in our policies (i.e. we don't block websites or protocols because we have professionals working here), I'd never run a game server here, nor would I allow staffers to. Aside from the fact that we pay for the bandwidth, improperly administered game servers come with a wide spectrum of security risks. There's a lot of arrogant IT people out there who think that because they're in IT, that they automatically know how to setup anything without exposing security risks. Some are that good, most aren't. When you run crap like this, it's not just yourself that you're opening up to potential headaches.

If your employer is cool with you running a game server on their network, more power to you. But if they aren't, live with it or find another job somewhere that will permit it. You work for them, they don't work for you and they don't owe you anything beyond what you agreed to when you were hired.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Rogers Throttling WoW
21. Re: Rogers Throttling WoW Mar 27, 2011, 13:25 Parallax Abstraction

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 16:01:
No surprise here. Anyone dumb enough to use Rogers or Bell deserves the shabby treatment they get.

There is absolutely no choice, even if you are using a 3rd party ISP, they use bell and rogers infastructure.

The few ISPs who are offering cable service through the Rogers last mile currently do not have throttling. Bell ones do (this is being fought right now) but for example, TekSavvy's cable service is not throttled.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Rogers Throttling WoW
19. Re: Rogers Throttling WoW Mar 27, 2011, 10:00 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 00:33:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 22:15:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 19:44:
AEI Internet

I've been using these guys for over 5 years now and they rock. No caps and if it wasn't for Bell I'd be getting better than the 5mbps I do now - they're getting 24 in Quebec. There are alternatives if you look for them. Oh yeah and that's $30 per month too.
Don't worry if bell gets their way with the CRTC, you'll have a 25gb cap in Ontario, and a 60gb cap in Quebec.

Yeah, but they won't. They got shot down HARD on this. Even the politicians are smart enough to know this can cost them job going against the people on this one.

No, they didn't. When Tony Clement said he would overturn their decision, the CRTC took it back under review because when they do that, he can't overrule them until the review is complete. The CRTC is stacked with either big telco executives or gullible patronage appointees who know nothing about technology (i.e. the Chairman) and everyone knows the review is going to come back with the same decision. They were hoping an election would end up getting called that would remove Clement's ability to overturn the decision and what do you know, that just happened on Friday! All three major parties are officially against the usage-based billing practice but so far, they're all talk and no action. Follow OpenMedia.ca as they're the ones actually trying to mount a fight on this and make it an election issue. This is far from over.

Also, if you are on Rogers and affected by this, use it as an opportunity to switch ISPs. There are tons of alternatives, including a number of new cable ones springing up (i.e. TekSavvy, Acanac and soon EBox). If WoW is a major component of what you use your Rogers service for, you can probably use this issue and its delays in getting resolved as a legitimate reason to be let out of your contract if you have one. If you are aggressive on the phone, you'll be surprised what they give you.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Homefront Sells a Million
2. Re: Homefront Sells a Million Mar 24, 2011, 21:46 Parallax Abstraction

I played the campaign and a fair amount of multiplayer and I'm not so sure about that. Frontlines was mediocre and this is really no better. The campaign is 4 hours long, the story's bad (though the fiction is cool), the gunplay is bad, the characters and acting are bad and it looks very dated. The multiplayer is neat but it's currently heavily biased towards snipers. It's essentially constant spawn-die-spawn-die. And considering they are rumoured to have spent $50M on development and another $50M on marketing (meaning that it hasn't come close to breaking even despite 1M sales, even CoD games don't cost much more than that), it's clear KAOS isn't capable of delivering AAA quality, even with a AAA budget. THQ was hoping an ex mod team could be the next Infinity Ward and they just aren't. All my opinion of course but yeah, even speaking as someone who thinks Call of Duty is overrated, Homefront is not good. I think THQ's crazy marketing efforts towards the dudebro Call of Duty demographic is what's driving sales for this and when the sequel comes, it's going to have to be a marked improvement if they want to sway those people back.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2011, 09:57 Parallax Abstraction

I get their points but man, that was one of the worst written articles I've seen in a long time. Which is quite something when you consider the average writing skill in the gaming and tech press these days.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 2
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 2 Mar 22, 2011, 15:11 Parallax Abstraction

Does the PC version still prompt you to Press Start and have virtually no graphical options?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ubisoft Distributing AC Brotherhood Soundtrack from Torrent?
5. Re: Ubisoft Distributing AC Brotherhood Soundtrack from Torrent? Mar 15, 2011, 23:40 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 22:02:

That might have been my link, I think. Reading there and IO9 is downright painful these days. It's like they designed it for an ipad, and fuck everyone else.

Sounds like the attitude of most Apple fans.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access?
7. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 12:35 Parallax Abstraction

Thanks BioWare, you've now convinced me to rent this game on 360 rather than but it. Assuming I play it at all.

Access to a product you paid for should in no way be tied to access to a free and optional forum.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Spending Big
4. Re: THQ Spending Big Mar 10, 2011, 11:59 Parallax Abstraction

InBlack wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 10:12:
Please, please, please dont suck. But considering its a big budget title Im pretty sure they are going to fuck it up. Hope Im wrong.

It's also being developed by Vigil Games, whose only release to date is Darksiders. I thought that had a lot of problems and it's certainly nothing like an MMO. This is going to be quite a test of that team.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GTA5 Details?
24. Re: GTA5 Details? Mar 8, 2011, 07:59 Parallax Abstraction

Asmo wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 04:23:
StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 00:47:
Asmo wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 00:12:
And maintenance on Niko's friends/GF?? GTFO.

I will never understand the hate for that since it was completely optional.

It was, but the constant nagging to do something wasn't...

It's such a small part of the game but it just irks the crap out of me.

If you ever end up trying the game again, you can actually mute your cell phone from its menu. If you do, no one calls you for the friend missions and you also don't get the lowered reputation for refusing their invites.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Bungie's MMOG Confirmed
7. Re: Bungie's MMOG Confirmed Mar 4, 2011, 07:55 Parallax Abstraction

bhcompy wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 23:30:
So will it be washed out looking with generic weapons and gameplay?

Don't forget the ridiculous and utterly incomprehensible fiction and horrendous sound design!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
4. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 13:28 Parallax Abstraction

My guess is that this is only the first step of a long-term strategy. Valve probably eventually wants to compete with services like OnLive by making it easy to have a mini PC on your TV that can act like a game console but is in fact a PC. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Steam branded micro-console like device in the next year or two.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > TDU2 Free DLC
2. Re: TDU2 Free DLC Feb 23, 2011, 15:57 Parallax Abstraction

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 15:30:
And here's the open letter from the community to the developers, listing our official, non-negotiable requests for fixes and features:

http://forums.testdriveunlimited2.com/showthread.php?t=34175

They better "spend a great deal of time" looking at it, considering the huge amount of support is has.

Not that I disagree with voicing your concerns and complaints to the developer but what do you mean non-negotiable? If those things aren't implemented, what do you plan to do? You can't get a refund on the game. I suppose you can boycott Atari as a group but given how little they put out lately and the fact that they'll probably be bankrupt in a year or two, do you expect that to have much impact? I'm not trying to be snide, I am just curious what your plan of action is if (rather when) they don't act on these suggestions.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million
9. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 12:18 Parallax Abstraction

I'm guessing the majority of those million sales were to the bro crowd who never buy anything but Halo and Call of Duty and saw this as another game in that vein. These are people who don't read reviews but if they hear something's like one of the other things they buy regularly, they jump on it. I'm guessing the second one will bomb now that all those people know what they bought.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3258 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo