Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3199 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Lost Planet 2
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Lost Planet 2 Oct 16, 2010, 16:43 Parallax Abstraction

I just beat this game recently on the 360 with a couple of friends. If and only if you have a good co-op group, it can be pretty fun despite the many bad design decisions throughout. The menus are frustrating, the story is nonsensical, the upgrade system is just plain weird and the friendly AI is completely idiotic. It's virtually impossible to beat the game solo as a result. It's funny that Kenji Inafune has been railing against Japanese developers in the press saying they need to improve their design methods for the west when he Executive Produced this game and it's a textbook example of everything he complains about.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Midnight Madness
17. Re: Fallout New Vegas Midnight Madness Oct 16, 2010, 14:23 Parallax Abstraction

I'm waiting on some reviews and community opinion on this before I move on it. Aside from it being Obsidian, Fallout 3 was a buggy mess that had tons of problems on PC (not the least of which was requiring Aero be disabled and the INI file being altered so it wouldn't crash on multi-core systems, neither solution which was supported by Bethesda) and got horrendous patch support. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same issues in this one. I hope I'm wrong but yeah, Bethesda has almost as bad a polish record as Obsidian.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ion Assault PC Plans
1. Re: Ion Assault PC Plans Oct 12, 2010, 10:45 Parallax Abstraction

I really loved this game on 360 but it got no promotion and nobody bought it. It's a cool and unique take on the genre. If it's cheap and has a demo, I'd highly recommend checking it out when it arrives if you like this type of thing.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
30. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 18:32 Parallax Abstraction

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:48:
Sympathy = Zero

I wanted to buy Singularity but they decided not to release it on Steam here in the UK. And Wolfenstein didn't appear to a while after release and hasn't been discounted, so I skipped that as well. Two games I wanted but that their terrible business practices prevented me from buying.

Yeah cause all those development staff who are now out of work had so much to do with that. Nice to see you lump them in with the likely one person who made the decisions you disapprove of.

This seem to be the Kotick business model. Did you have one title flop despite not getting any PR backing at all? Then you get the axe! He's going to bleed out all his development talent and then wonder why he can't get anything good made anymore.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gold - Fallout: New Vegas
7. Re: Gold - Fallout: New Vegas Oct 1, 2010, 19:03 Parallax Abstraction

Hopefully this won't be hugely buggy and largely unsupported with patches like Fallout 3 was. Oh wait, Bethesda and Obsidian...

I've still got hope as I really liked Fallout 3 when it wasn't freezing and crashing or refusing to work on Windows 7 unless you shut Aero off.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > MoH Taliban Renamed
23. Re: MoH Taliban Renamed Oct 1, 2010, 11:25 Parallax Abstraction

Blue wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 10:51:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 10:36:
And while we're at it, we're going to go back and change the names in all our WW2 games so you aren't fighting "Nazis", you are fighting "Generic Non-descript Enemies".

Just to be sure this is clear, the renaming was not because in the game you would be fighting *against* a force called the Taliban, it was so in multiplayer games one side would not playing *as* the Taliban.

In Company of Heroes, you can play as the Germans. I'm not sure if they were called Nazis (I think they were the Axis) but you could still play as German forces who spoke German and killed Allied troops.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light & Demo Released
2. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light & Demo Released Sep 28, 2010, 16:22 Parallax Abstraction

Oh there's co-op, just local only which works great on PC don't you know.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3
4. Re: Kotick vs. Schafer, Part 3 Sep 27, 2010, 11:16 Parallax Abstraction

Thing is, Kotick didn't cancel it. He let Double Fine take the game somewhere else and then when it got a lot of buzz and looked like it might succeed, he sued to stop EA from publishing it. Essentially, he kicked them to the curb until he realised they may be profitable after all and then thought it was his right to get them back. Convenient how he leaves that out.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Co-Op Delayed, DLC Detailed
1. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Co-Op Delayed, DLC Detailed Sep 21, 2010, 21:28 Parallax Abstraction

Can't get the co-op in that was promised at launch as part of the $15 but you can be damn sure we'll get all that DLC out on time! Really pissed I gave these guys my money now. They can cram their DLC.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Strange Quote of the Day
25. Re: Strange Quote of the Day Sep 21, 2010, 07:13 Parallax Abstraction

Kudo Tsunoda is famous for his big mouth. The difference between him and other blowhards like Bobby Kotick is that I think Tsunoda purposefully does it to get attention whereas Kotick just doesn't know when to keep his trap shut. The best way to get people talking about you (and by extension the product you're promoting) is to still up controversy. The only difference here is that when someone like Rockstar does it, it sells more games. When Tsunoda does, it only further solidifies hardcore gamer's completely disinterest in Kinect.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Kotick on Bungie & Indies
5. Re: Kotick on Bungie & Indies Sep 20, 2010, 15:52 Parallax Abstraction

Sorry but Rebellion and Terminal Reality are high quality independents? Have they seen Bloodrayne and Rogue Warrior? While Ghostbusters was marginally decent, neither of these teams have put out anything well reviewed by either the gaming press or community in a long time.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GOG.com in Flux
19. Re: GOG.com in Flux Sep 19, 2010, 20:05 Parallax Abstraction

The current rumour is that this is a PR stunt to promote GOG leaving the beta stage and going into full release. If it is, the PR guy who thought of it should be canned. If it's true that they are going to a client/pro-DRM model, they better make damn sure that every game runs 100% on every modern version of Windows. There are still titles there that don't work under Windows 7 and I still have a couple of DOS titles that don't display properly.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Tease
11. Re: Fallout MMOG Tease Sep 19, 2010, 17:43 Parallax Abstraction

Fallout Online = The New Duke Nukem Forever  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Alpha Protocol Patched
9. Re: Alpha Protocol Patched Sep 15, 2010, 07:38 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 07:19:
Kotor 2 anyone?

Sorry, as much as I'd love to not blame Obsidian, history does speak for itself.

KoTOR2 was also not Obsidian's fault entirely. LucasArts pulled up the release and forced them to put it out earlier than it was originally set for in order to make a Christmas rush. Not saying Obsidian's perfect by any means (and there's been stories about internal company politics negatively affecting the design of Alpha Protocol) but they've been screwed over by publishers more than once. Given what a buggy mess at least the PC version of Fallout 3 was (and still is) and how bad some other recent Bethesda releases have been, I am nervous about Fallout: New Vegas.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed
5. Re: Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed Sep 10, 2010, 21:40 Parallax Abstraction

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 20:57:
Console games don't have EULAs. This is more about the resale of business software.

If the industry can make used game sales illegal, you bet the will start having them soon.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2010, 15:43 Parallax Abstraction

FarmVille and the other mindless garbage Zynga produces aren't games. They have no point, you can't win or lose them and they have no ultimate goal. They are progress bars you pay to advance but which never reach 100%. The are tons of actual games on Facebook, what Zynga creates are graphical dopamine dispensers, designed to make you part with money to think you're accomplishing something when in reality, you are achieving nothing.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > David Allen Speaks
40. Re: David Allen Speaks Sep 7, 2010, 15:47 Parallax Abstraction

My opinion on this (which means absolutely nothing especially considering I couldn't care less about Alganon) is that we have two people speaking, both of whom have a vested interest in the outcome of this scenario and both of whom are acting very unprofessionally by shooting their traps off in public when they should be letting their lawyers handle this and leave it to the court. If this goes to trial, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge lambasted them both and slapped gag orders on them.

David Allen has history in the industry as does Derek Smart and depending who you ask, both are not good. The only thing I can say is like Derek or hate him, he's been running a company successfully for many years now whereas David Allen has only a string of failures to his name. Quest Online is also still operating under Derek's leadership whereas if all accounts are true, it would have died a long time ago if Allen was still at the helm.

I think there's probably valid points on both sides of this. The unfortunate thing is the employees and customers who are caught in the middle of this battle that's clearly more about ego than the vision.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Take-Two Financial Results
2. Re: Take-Two Financial Results Sep 2, 2010, 23:16 Parallax Abstraction

The rumour is that Rockstar Toronto is currently working on the PC version of Red Dead Redemption since it sold way better than they expected. However, this is the same studio that did the PC version of GTA IV and we all know how long that took to get semi-playable. Hopefully the experience they have with the engine will mean the port's half decent this time.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 1, 2010, 09:49 Parallax Abstraction

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 20:26:
$65 for the controller with the Play&Charge kit (which is $20 on its own for... a battery); it's not being offered independently.

This is what bugs me the most about it. I would happily buy one of the new controllers to get a decent D-Pad and both of my current ones are starting to act up. However, I already have a Play & Charge kit and the thing was the worst $20 I ever spent. The battery packs they use are garbage and within a year, both of the ones I got were holding only about half the charge they did when new. One of them only lasts about 2 hours now and the other lasts about 5. They're supposed to last 10-15.

Charging through the USB ports also takes almost as long as the batteries last as it's a trickle charge. The 360 is supposed to keep charging them after you turn it off but it will only do that for about two hours and then stops whether they're fully charged or not. There's no way I'm going to pay for more of that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Preorders
6. Re: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale Preorders Sep 1, 2010, 08:55 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently the company still exists but is focusing on game development exclusively now. Odd since they were acquired by Amazon who presumably did so because of their online sales. I also seem to remember that Reflexive became an online portal because most of the games they developed were pretty bad and they weren't succeeding that way. Very weird.  
Parallax Abstraction

3199 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo