Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3158 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name
3. Re: AMD Dropping the ATI Brand Name Aug 30, 2010, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

I can't imagine why they'd do this. ATI's a recognisable brand name associated with graphics technology and there are zillions of ATI branded cards and games that show the ATI logo in them. You already own the company, why cause confusion in the marketplace by changing the name everyone knows to one that by their own admission, will make less savvy consumers think they won't work with Intel systems? Really stupid move.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Acclaim Closed
11. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 14:27 Parallax Abstraction

LittleMe wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:42:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:10:
I don't get it, why spend the money to buy a company just to close them down a couple of months later?

Maybe to buy the games code or to own the rights to the particular franchises?

Possibly but since all the games are being shut down, I don't know what they would gain from that. IP is useless if you're not doing anything with it. Maybe they just took over Acclaim and weren't able to find out in advance that the company was in bad shape and just decided to cut their losses. It's just very odd that this happened this way so suddenly.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Acclaim Closed
6. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:10 Parallax Abstraction

I don't get it, why spend the money to buy a company just to close them down a couple of months later?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mafia II
60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mafia II Aug 24, 2010, 14:16 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2010, 13:00:
I'm starting to think you are simply a troll.

I'm starting to wonder if he's Woody, based on his jew comment.

Or just an alternate account for Surf. Rationalising piracy and antisemitism are two of his most common types of posts.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Brink Delay Explained
7. Re: Brink Delay Explained Aug 23, 2010, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

I don't have an article unfortunately but I do know that the Giant Bombcast and a couple of other podcasts were saying it looked really rough and had a lot of gameplay issues. Interestingly though, I'm listening to Weekend Confirmed right now and they are saying the build they played at QuakeCon was a blast so maybe things are turning around. I hope so, the concept of Brink sounds great.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Brink Delay Explained
4. Re: Brink Delay Explained Aug 23, 2010, 08:07 Parallax Abstraction

This game got some fairly negative press after E3, I imagine that while they aren't necessarily adding more features, they're holding this game to try to deal with the numerous issues they were told about. This is supposed to be a big release for Bethesda and Splash Damage and they probably don't want to push it out early. It's nice to see them listening to feedback and taking it into account though.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > BFG RMA Refusal
6. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 11:18 Parallax Abstraction

I think how legal this is depends on the state. I think in some places, declaring bankruptcy gets you out of warranty obligations and in other places, it requires that you either find someone else to take it over or set aside enough money to honour warranties on what you have out in the field. I guess where BFG is, they don't have to care. Still surprising they didn't sell the warranty obligations to someone else though since they need capital to pay off creditors. They should also be stating on their site what the situation is as there are probably still cards out there that people are buying, not knowing that the manufacturer is going bust.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > id: No Tech 5 Licensing
34. Re: id: No Tech 5 Licensing Aug 13, 2010, 07:21 Parallax Abstraction

zirik wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 04:38:
Warskull wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 03:18:
Tech 4 was id's weakest moment. Tech 2 and Tech 3 absolutely dominated the market. Modern Warfare's current engine was built off the tech 3 engine.

IW stopped using id tech after COD1. they have been using their own graphics engine since COD2.

No they haven't. If you look in the credits of World at War, Modern Warfare and I believe Modern Warfare 2, it still says "portions of this software are copyright id Software, Inc." They've obviously heavily modified the tech but it is still id Tech underneath and unless Infinity Ward bought a lifetime perpetual license, id is likely still getting a small cut of every Call of Duty game sold.

I find it surprising that this came out the day after John Carmack was showing how Tech5 was so advanced that he could get a version of Rage running on a bloody iPhone with fairly high fidelity. There were probably a large number of developers salivating over that who won't get access to it now.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Raptor: Call of the Shadows 2010 Edition
1. Re: Raptor: Call of the Shadows 2010 Edition Aug 10, 2010, 20:30 Parallax Abstraction

Done and done. I played so many hours of Raptor back in the day.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Irrational Announcement Next Week
15. Re: Irrational Announcement Next Week Aug 3, 2010, 09:57 Parallax Abstraction

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 3, 2010, 03:37:
Swat 5

Please

That's about as likely as a new System Shock unfortunately. Activision Blizzard owns the rights to the SWAT franchise and as others have said, Take-Two owns Irrational. The SWAT franchise did OK but wasn't the kind of massive smash hit that Bobby Kotick demands to be considered a success so I imagine that series is dead for a while. I suppose he could always make a Call of Duty themed game out of it. /shudder

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Alice: Madness Returns Announced
6. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 19:28 Parallax Abstraction

I'm hopeful but this is the team that made the Grimm episodes which were absolute garbage.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Cliffski versus Epic
2. Re: Kotick/Schafer Episode 3: Return of the Jedi Jul 16, 2010, 11:06 Parallax Abstraction

Stay classy Mark Rein.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Pachter: Activision Should Charge for CoD Multiplayer
1. Re: Kotick/Schafer Episode 3: Return of the Jedi Jul 16, 2010, 11:05 Parallax Abstraction

The press: Should stop giving this two bit hack a voice. He doesn't know anything, is almost always universally wrong in his predictions and is a good indicator of exactly nothing at all. I wish I could get paid a lot of money to talk out of my ass and never be called on when I'm wrong.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Kotick/Schafer Episode 3: Return of the Jedi
4. Re: Kotick/Schafer Episode 3: Return of the Jedi Jul 15, 2010, 11:53 Parallax Abstraction

It's true but I can also appreciate that he needs publishers to fund his future projects and given that the industry is so small and that everyone knows everyone else, he might find it harder to find someone willing to put up money in light of this. Kotick is a dick and everyone knows it but other twit executives remember things like this and unfortunately, they have all the capital.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick
35. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 18:59 Parallax Abstraction

The irony of that statement coming from someone who proudly proclaims that he steals games is too funny.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Patch Wednesday
12. Re: Bad Company 2 Patch Wednesday Jun 29, 2010, 07:13 Parallax Abstraction

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 29, 2010, 03:27:
Having an antivirus program running while playing usually never a good idea period.
Bullshit. It's retarded not to have one running, even though we'd all prefer not to have one running because of the performance hit.

I haven't run an AV program on my desktop since 2004 and it has never had a virus or spyware, not once. You don't necessarily need AV if you know how to avoid viruses which isn't exactly that hard if you know what to look for.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Singularity Texture-Streaming Workaround
22. Re: Singularity Texture-Streaming Workaround Jun 27, 2010, 20:42 Parallax Abstraction

Caveman, this thread wasn't originally about you being a piece of crap thief either but you started it on that. If you feel entitled to play the game without paying for it, your opinion is pretty much moot because you're not Raven's customer and thus meaningless to them. The excuses people like you will come up with to justify ripping others off is hilarious.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bad Company 2 ATI Hotfix
6. Re: Bad Company 2 ATI Hotfix Jun 1, 2010, 21:16 Parallax Abstraction

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Jun 1, 2010, 20:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 1, 2010, 20:32:
And it only took em 3 months.. to make this "hotfix" by now its not cold, its in deep freeze

Or you could just get a real video card. Like an Nvidia.

Oh that wit, it's positively killer.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
34. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 30, 2010, 18:49 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter is a clueless hack analyst who is saying things to make the companies he works with happy. And the gaming press still swoons over him despite him being a completely useless source of information. In other news, the sky is blue.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Test Drive Unlimited 2 Dated, Preorder Details
7. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Dated, Preorder Details May 27, 2010, 00:33 Parallax Abstraction

I hope they have a driving model this time that doesn't make your car feel like it's just rotating around a pivot point. The horrible handling is what wrecked the last game for me.  
Parallax Abstraction

3158 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo