Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3271 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K?
2. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 11:25 Parallax Abstraction

I think it's more that the guy was just doing what 2K Games does anyway. They fired him making it sound like it was his decision to blacklist people where in reality, he was just doing what he was told, he was just dumb enough to be public about it. That's definitely stupid on his part but 2K's making it sound like it was this guy alone who decided to blacklist sites where really, that's what they were doing anyway.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 2K on DNF PR
14. Re: 2K on DNF PR Jun 15, 2011, 15:48 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 15:28:
His only mistake was saying it in a publicly accessible format.

How dare anyone pull that curtain up to reveal whats behind it.

Exactly. From what I've read on some other forums, this attitude towards the press is pretty common for Take-Two. The only reason they fired the agency this time is because he revealed that publicly.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Epic Hacked
8. Re: Epic Hacked Jun 11, 2011, 14:43 Parallax Abstraction

Anonymous (or whoever): Please either DIAF or proceed to go to prison and live a horrendous rest of your life. You deserve it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam/Facebook Linking
3. Re: Steam/Facebook Linking Jun 11, 2011, 11:07 Parallax Abstraction

Now Steam has partnered with Facebook so you can have your privacy violated in all kinds of new ways!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > id Happy to be Done with Engine Licensing
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 8, 2011, 22:19 Parallax Abstraction

Overon wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 21:46:
Oh please. Sounds a tad disingenuous considering that the last time someone used their engine was early 2000's?

Every single Call of Duty game (and I guarantee you including Modern Warfare 3) runs on the Quake 3 engine. Massively modified without a doubt but the credits of that game still say Portions of this Software (c) id Software, Inc. which means they are still making residuals off that license. As others have said, Brink and eventually Prey 2 also use it. They certainly didn't have the success in the licensing field that say Epic did with Unreal but id did very well in that space.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

I'm not big on the OnLive exclusive demo either but for those worried about signing up for it, it's free now. Costs nothing to sign up and play the demo.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog
24. Re: DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog Jun 4, 2011, 10:36 Parallax Abstraction

In addition to wanting to show up Activision (it definitely generates great PR for BF3 to come out and say you've offering social features for free that they will charge for), I think them doing this is in response to both of the free-to-play Battlefield games not doing well. I remember EA saying that Battlefield Heroes fell well below expectations (as did Quake Wars before it which wasn't even their thing) and other than an ad during the ATI driver installer, I've heard absolutely nothing about Battlefield Play4Free since it launched. I think if those had succeeded, EA would be trying to charge for this but I think they learned before Activision that by and large, people in the US don't care about this stuff enough to shell out money for me. CoD does have a large dudebro fanbase who may not know any better but I'd wager that CoD Elite will also not meet their expectations and it will either get cheaper or go free eventually as well.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > OnLive on Connected TVs
18. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 10:51 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 09:14:
Beamer wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 07:38:

Yeah pretty much usage caps are the death knell of the service

Netflix is going to fight caps to the death.

You would think so but that's unfortunately incorrect. Netflix in fact has taken a very laid back stance, basically just issuing press statements. They don't lobby, they aren't making significant new partnerships beyond CDN and edge network placement. In fact I remember when Canada was going through that whole UBB thing and asked Netflix to get involved they basically said "we feel the marketplace will eventually force this issue with the cable/DSL providers". Netflix is starting to position itself as a content provider more than anything else.

I can't speak to the US but Netflix is definitely actively lobbying in Canada. There have been numerous reports of Netflix meeting with federal Members of Parliament and it is believes that when Aggregated Volume Pricing (big telco's rebranding of UBB) becomes an issue, it is expected that Netflix will be taking a more active stance on the issue. I certainly hope they've learned that their deafening silence during UBB definitely contributed to it initially getting passed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > OnLive on Connected TVs
15. Re: OnLive on Connected TVs Jun 3, 2011, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

Bumpy wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 00:31:
Who the heck is buying this subscription service to keep it a float even this long? I would of thought it would already have gone the way of WebTV.

OnLive hasn't had a subscription for a while now. Anyone can use the service for free, you just buy games like you would on Steam.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts
9. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 14:32 Parallax Abstraction

PHJF wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 13:59:
Lucasfilm has some of the most beloved and powerful brands in entertainment

What, like Willow?

Quiz Show: The Game. Think about it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Darksiders II Announced
8. Re: Darksiders II Announced Jun 2, 2011, 08:45 Parallax Abstraction

I played this on 360 when it came out and while it showed promise, I really hope they fix the huge number of issues the game had. Terrible camera, slow, boring combat, unintuitive flow-breaking puzzles and huge backtracking (the entire last chapter has you revisiting every area simply to try to find hidden items). The idea is very cool and with some refinement, it can definitely be awesome.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed
38. Re: Call of Duty Paid Service Revealed May 31, 2011, 13:12 Parallax Abstraction

Perhaps Activision should fix the rampant cheating, matchmaking and lag problems that still persist in Black Ops (on pretty much all platforms) before they start finding ways to get people to pay more for less.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Volition's New IP
7. Re: Volition's New IP May 27, 2011, 12:13 Parallax Abstraction

Red Faction Guerrilla (while a mess on PC I admit) was one of the most fun shooters in years for me. It actually (GASP!) tried to do something new! The Saint's Row series is a blast too. The previous Red Faction games...yeah they weren't so hot.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Signs Turtle Rock
7. Re: THQ Signs Turtle Rock May 27, 2011, 08:58 Parallax Abstraction

InBlack wrote on May 27, 2011, 04:47:
Why would they back them financially if they left the nest? Makes no sense.

To retain equity in the company and generate profits from their projects. This happens in many industries all the time. You give the company some seed money to get started and keep like a 30% stake so that as long as they keep making money, you keep making money, often many times your original investment. But that said, the guys from Turtle Rock likely made (and are probably still making) so much off sales from Left 4 Dead that they might just be bankrolling themselves.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Signs Turtle Rock
1. Re: THQ Signs Turtle Rock May 26, 2011, 23:23 Parallax Abstraction

Interesting that Turtle Rock has become their own thing again. I wonder if Valve is still backing them financially or if they just gave the name back to the owners.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
37. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 21:22 Parallax Abstraction

PropheT wrote on May 26, 2011, 20:53:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 26, 2011, 20:43:
*except maybe for those who paid extra for the buggy shit but as I said it's not gonna happen again... The Witcher 3 including all DLC (pre-order and CE and whatnot) will be mine for free. YAAAARRRR!

Other than 1 item, all of the DLC was always going to be free for the game. They said so a while ago. You're really that upset about the 1 useless virtual item?

Have you considered emailing the address they set up for your item instead of raging on a game forum about how you'll pirate their next game instead?

Raging like an idiot is all CJ_Parker does.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive
7. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:53 Parallax Abstraction

As others did, I tried the demo on Xbox Live a while ago. If that demo is in any way representative of the game as a whole, don't feel bad for missing it. It's not good. I thought Red Faction Guerrilla was one of the most fun games in years but this one looks like Dead Space dumbed down to dudebro level.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM
44. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:59 Parallax Abstraction

cliffski wrote on May 26, 2011, 08:12:
the amount of data that would need to be transferred would be trivial. laughably lower than just a few emails a day.

The amount that NEEDS to be transferred and the amount that WILL be transferred are very different things, particularly if this DRM is not developed by the most adept programmer. I seem to recall people reporting that AC2 was pushing 50K/sec+ consistently when it was released, though I never validated this myself because I didn't buy it on PC. Also, I'm not into paying full price for a game that the publisher can and will turn the servers off, rendering it unplayable at one point.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > ARMA 3 Specs
2. Re: ARMA 3 Specs May 20, 2011, 23:45 Parallax Abstraction

So being a Bohemia game, you take those specs and double them. Then if you're very lucky, the game might run at 30FPS.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts Issues
1. Re: Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts Issues May 20, 2011, 13:25 Parallax Abstraction

Bethesda bugs are Bethesda.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3271 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo