Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3222 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
4. Re: Civilization V Patched Apr 29, 2011, 09:28 Parallax Abstraction

Parias wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 23:30:
And yet STILL no option to enable unit animations in multiplayer? I'll continue to be disappointed until they fix that - we have a LAN party waiting on exactly this update.

I'm still amazed the game came out like that. I got my girlfriend into Civilization V and when we play together, she kept hearing me bemoan how terrible multi looks without the animations. She didn't get the big deal, then she decided to play a game by herself one afternoon and was like "Oh, now I see what you mean, this game looks awful in multiplayer." and now she enjoys it less because of that. I don't know what benefit they thought they were providing by leaving it out. It does speed up the game but as others said, just make it an option.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands Proposal
11. Re: Borderlands Proposal Apr 24, 2011, 21:33 Parallax Abstraction

That's a damn cool thing for Gearbox to do, I must say. Mega kudos to them.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom DLC and Patch
2. Re: The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom DLC and Patch Apr 21, 2011, 00:40 Parallax Abstraction

I don't get why it's still enabled on this title when I thought they removed it from most of the others that are using it. This game looks really good and as soon as they remove the DRM, I'll buy it.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 15:49 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:17:
There are legitimate beefs about the way the ARG was run...yours isn't one of them.

A wild fanboy! It's so rare to see them outside of the official forums!

Didn't you say you weren't going to speak of this anymore? You think it was in the scam, yet you participated in it. Now that it's over, you say you don't want to talk about it anymore, yet here you are still whining. Get over yourself.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 14:09 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, I think the only games they would try this on would be the huge blockbuster releases that have huge devoted player bases. Paying for a non-delayed release is exactly the kind of thing Bobby Kotick might try and I wouldn't be surprised to see him try it with CoD at some point. Which would be fine cause I bet it would result in much lower sales and that series needs to be kicked down a few pegs so it might actually try to innovate at some point.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:04 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:59:
Parallax,

I have no rage over this promotion, I wasn't actually even aware of it until this morning. It just seems stupid.

And yes, the promotion as it is NOW is nothing but beneficial to everyone. This is still the game industry we're talking about. It won't take them long to turn it around so it's only beneficial to you if you actually take part and PAY.

DLC when it first came out was strictly "additions to a game."

It didn't take long before it turned into a "content we're withholding, even though it's already included, until you pay extra" scheme.

All in all, it seemed like a lot of hoopla over something that tons of people apparently took part in, only for a ridiculously minor change in release date.

Creston

I do get your concerns and I agree that the game industry isn't above pulling a stunt like that. But for any AAA title to succeed in the way the market works like now, it needs massive hype and needs people there on day one. Over something like 90% of a game's sales happen in the first month. If publishers start promotions where it forces potential customers to either buy into pre-release content or wait weeks to play (especially with titles where a strong multiplayer community is key), it's a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the big publishers try that idea and I guarantee you it will be the only time they do because that title will be pirated six ways from Sunday and will be a financial disaster.

I think this is a fundamentally different situation than how DLC has evolved into making people pay for a complete experience but really, even that hasn't played out the way people predicted years back. This is an industry where profitability is becoming based on luck alone in most cases and there's no doubt that increasingly desperate companies will try increasingly desperate things. But I think something like this just wouldn't work for them. Most people already think $60 for a console game is too expensive and with such a selection out there, very few will pay substantially more just to get the game on release day.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 12:38 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:36:
Maybe you need to adjust your expectation of free $40 rewards.

FTFY, probably a spell check issue, somehow your phone thought you meant free when you typed $40? That the new Steam Phone I'm hearing about?

It only cost you $40 if you wanted it to. If you didn't pay it, you still get Portal 2 early and if no one paid it, you'd get the game when originally promised. Valve forcefully took nothing from you.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 12:29 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:20:
Because it sets a stupid precedent. People spent 38 bucks on games to try to get Portal 2 early, and in the end they're going to get it 6 HOURS earlier? Hey, if people are happy spending their money on that, that's their problem.

But I don't want publishers to start seeing this as yet another way of squeezing more money out of their customer base, with it eventually turning into a "If you buy our unlock game, you get it on date xx, and if you don't, you get it five weeks later." EA's likely already thinking of making people play a flash game filled to its ass with micro-transactions just so they can get ME3 on time.

To me the whole thing just seemed utterly fucking retarded, and very out of line with what I've come to expect from Valve.

Creston

See, I get where you're coming from there but I don't think this sets the precedent you are fearing. Firstly, the key distinction here is that by participating in this promotion (or not for that matter), you get Portal 2 earlier. Not a lot earlier (and I agree giving a longer window would have made more sense) but still earlier. Even if you only got the early release if you participated, not participating meant you still got it on the promised release date, not later. No one is getting anything delayed, there is only benefit to be gained. Secondly, if people complete the goals, everyone gets the game early. This is the most important point in my argument really. You can choose to do absolutely nothing and still receive the benefits given to those who do. Thirdly, while I don't think there's any way a publisher will push back a game release weeks for those who don't buy into pre-release stuff (can you say massive way to drive people to piracy?), so what? I've long since stopped caring whether I have something on release day anymore. Many people these days happily wait months for titles because they know they'll go on sale. And if a publisher pulls this, that's definitely what I'll do, if I play the game at all. It's not like there's a shortage of choice. I know, that's just my preference and I don't represent everyone.

I personally think people are reading way too much into the potential implications of this. Publishers are scared to death of piracy and if someone tries something as you describe, it will be the one and only time they do because that game will have unprecedented piracy rates on both consoles and PC. I just find it baffling that people constantly complain (rightly so) how big publishers treat gamers (particularly PC gamers) like crap and how there's no innovation in how games are marketed and delivered. But when Valve (a company that treats PC players with more respect than any other) offers a 100% optional promotion that only provides benefit for everyone, people get worked up into a froth. I'm not saying everyone has to like the promotion but with the way all the big publishers treat us, this is really where we direct the majority of our rage now? I just don't understand it.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2011, 12:37.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 12:10 Parallax Abstraction

From everything I've read (and if I'm wrong fine but then a lot of other sites are too), if Portal 2 unlocks early, it will be for everyone, whether or not you chose to participate in the Potato Sack promotion. In other words, you can sit back, spend nothing more, do nothing more and still get the game you want early because of the efforts of those who chose to participate. If that's the case then what's the damn problem and what makes it worth getting so upset about?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > One Potato, Two Potato...
2. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

And now there's another thread for the petulant whining about something that gives no negative impact to anyone to move to.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go
12. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 17, 2011, 15:38 Parallax Abstraction

elefunk wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 15:17:
It's kinda funny seeing people rage so hard about this. The fact is, pirates on 360/PS3 or people who found the game early would be playing early and spreading around spoilers regardless of this ARG. The ARG didn't magically push back the release date of the game.

It's a disappointing end to the ARG, for sure, but man, what a bunch of entitled nerd ragers.

This. Never seen so much whining in my life. Valve tried to do something cool that could give an early Portal 2 release to even the people who don't participate and they still find a way to act like entitled brats over it. I'm sure the thought on most Valve staffer minds today is "With friends like these, who needs enemies." If you don't want to play the ARG, then don't and wait for the normal release date. Just shut up about it and let those who choose to participate enjoy themselves.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
85. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 15:08 Parallax Abstraction

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 12:59:
Thats the biggest load of crap I have EVER seen posted on these boards. The post is doing exactly what Beamer is complaining about bitching, moaning, whining at its best. Mr.Beamer YOU ARE THE ONE BITCHING, MOANING and WHINING and making posts that are TOTALLY unrelated to the thread. How about you stop HIJACKING posts. we do you think we want to read this CRAP when we are talking about Portal 2? STOP POSTING FOREVER, BEAMER and improve our boards...jeesh

Sorry, can you speak up? I couldn't hear you.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
16. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 16, 2011, 22:16 Parallax Abstraction

Save just giving the game away for free, there seems to just be no pleasing some people. No one's forced to buy the indie bundle and if it manages to unlock Portal 2 early, everyone will get it early as far as I understand. So if you don't want to contribute, don't. You'll still get all the benefits and can be happy that you didn't have to spend anything on a bunch of potentially great indie games. Just keep that in mind the next time you complain about how the AAA industry treats gamers and how there's no innovation happening anymore.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers [Updated]
19. Re: The Witcher 2 Preloads & DRM, New GOG.com Publishers Coming Apr 14, 2011, 18:41 Parallax Abstraction

I guarantee you that Atari is the reason the non GOG.com versions come with SecuROM. They are publishing the game and I would suspect they hold all the distribution rights to retail and non-GOG.com digital channels. If Atari has those rights and demands SecuROM, there's nothing CDP can do about it. I was going to buy this from GOG.com anyway and that's definitely the way to make sure the majority of your money goes to CDP and not to the idiots who run Atari.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
24. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 13:28 Parallax Abstraction

Pretty much exactly my thought. Last night right at the end of the day, it was discovered that my employer's BlackBerry Enterprise Server hadn't been sending e-mail to phones for a few hours. The problem started earlier in the day but no one noticed it until around 5pm. I ended up having to stay late to get it fixed. Yes, my employer paid me overtime to do it but it was also expected that I would step up and fix this system that is vital to our users (essentially my customers as an IT administrator). If I had just gone "this isn't as important as me going home at 5" and just taken off, my user's experience would have suffered, as would my reputation in the company and it would have been brought up as a negative on my next review. We're now in the process of implementing something that will notify us if nothing gets delivered through our BES for a period of time so this won't happen again. I doubt EA's doing anything like that for the DA auth servers.

We are a company of only 150 people and we don't pull in billions of dollars a year. The sales of Dragon Age 1 alone probably dwarf the entire amount of money this company has ever earned in its lifetime (and it's almost 40 years old). If we can solve a critical problem like this quickly with only 2 IT people, how can one of the biggest names in video games which probably has an entire building of dedicated IT and help desk staff not get it sorted for multiple days? How can there be no one in the thousands of employees at EA whose job it is to check daily to make sure the auth servers are up? I'm sorry, there is no excuse for this beyond either incompetence or an unwillingness to prioritise a fix since it was for an old game that's not selling anymore. This right here is why everyone hates DRM. I and many others gave you my money EA, you owe us all better than this.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
19. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 12:38 Parallax Abstraction

Elessar wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 12:15:
Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 10:36:
"Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily"

Oh good, then all is forgiven because you can't be bothered to have a paid employee read your support forums!
You have got to be shitting me. For an indie, this is to be expected, but for a Triple A developer/publisher it's absolutely inexcusable and pathetic.

The funny part is that indies actually DO heavily follow and respond to feedback in their forums in most cases. Seems the larger you get and more resources you have, the less you care about watching your communities. For a company the size of BioWare/EA, not having someone monitoring the forums and bringing important issues to the developer's attention is ridiculous. You can pay a couple of part-time students minimum wage to observe the forums and just flag threads that may be important to address. This is a company with thousands of employees and billions in revenues. Paying a couple of people to do this for BioWare amounts to less than a rounding error on balance sheets and avoiding the reputation damage they've sustained through this mess would have been worth far more than the wages of those couple of employees.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Magicka: Vietnam
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Magicka: Vietnam Apr 12, 2011, 13:09 Parallax Abstraction

Clearly, "War Has Changed"  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy
30. Re: GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy Apr 12, 2011, 12:35 Parallax Abstraction

descender wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:24:
I really don't want to go back and make the list again, I had started doing it before you made that post because I knew what was coming :)

OK, so your "evidence" still counts but you can't be bothered to go back and produce it (even though it apparently only took you 6 minutes.)

descender wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:24:
Even a quick look at the x360 Demo list right now (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/GameDemos?SortBy=ReleaseDate) shows no pre-release demo's in the last 6 months.

In fact, is this list even right with the demo release dates? If it is... I just went through the first 100 entries and most of the "new demo's" are for games over a year old. Where are the pre-release date demo's for the games released in the last year? This list shows that it's even less than I was giving you credit for.

I can tell you (again from experience only) that the list is wrong if it's not showing any pre-release demos in the last 6 months. Bulletstorm's demo was out before the game (I know because I pre-ordered it as a result of playing the demo) and I also played the demo for Dead Space 2 a month before launch. As Jerykk pointed out, DA2 got a pre-release demo as well on PC and console. Those are just three examples but are within the last 6 months. Many of the demos do end up showing up on the "new content" list on the XBLM sites, even if they came out earlier. I don't know if that changes the actual listed release date or not but it would appear to. Again, this is not the case with all demos but (again from my experience), your one cited source so far has been proven wrong.

Feel free to continue to find ways to alter the argument so that you don't have to admit being wrong even once. I'll let our posts stand on their own now and people can decide who (if either of us) to believe. My lunch break is over so I've got to get back to work.

Parallax Abstraction

25. Re: GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy Apr 12, 2011, 12:09 Parallax Abstraction

descender wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 11:51:
I just looked up 30 cross-platform games (thank you google) and exactly 4 of the 30 games I checked had announced demo's on consoles before the release date. All 4 were AAA can't-fail titles who's PC sales would NEVER be impacted by "word of mouth".

Maybe you are just not remembering correctly, it happens and I'm not blaming you. I just can't find anything anywhere to back up your statement that non-AAA demo's are released on or before the PC release dates. Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions and if your goal is to only disprove absolutes you need to find a new hobby.

Add to that the complete lack of demo's on the PC platform itself.

Either way, it's no reason for you to start attacking a very small subset of my position on why DRM does not cause piracy. I guess find something you think you know too much about and harp on that, right?

So you checked 30 games in less than 6 minutes (impressive!), list no sources, no names, don't define what you consider a AAA title and you mention 30 titles which on average, probably represents less than a year's worth of releases on platforms that are approaching 6 years old. Well I'm convinced.

Seriously, I will happily admit when I'm wrong. But you saying so and citing a bunch of anonymous stats isn't good enough. I'm also well aware that most of the "evidence" I've cited is anecdotal. I don't claim otherwise. You however, claim a bunch of things and seem insulted that anyone would dare question that which you simply state rather than corroborate.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2011, 12:16.

Parallax Abstraction

19. Re: GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy Apr 12, 2011, 11:45 Parallax Abstraction

descender wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 11:41:
Don't get mad at me because you've failed at reading comprehension and gone totally off topic from my original post.

What does anything you said in either of your posts have to do with DRM on PC's?

You made points about demos always coming out on consoles after PC and I pointed out that you're wrong, which you are. I've owned both major consoles almost since launch and I can tell you with certainty that the majority of games that do get demos either get them at launch or before. Many don't get demos and some do come out later to be sure but this is simply not true for the majority of them and to claim otherwise is to claim a falsehood. You also claimed that all AAA games sell so they don't need a demo, something that is also false which I pointed out. The vast majority of AAA games are financial failures, demos or no.

You made these points, don't get get at me because you can't back up your facts and come up with a decent counterpoint for them and would rather go back "on topic" when you really mean just drop any debates you can't win. Don't start a derail you can't back up.

Parallax Abstraction

3222 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo