Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3274 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > EA to Close Visceral's Melbourne Studio?
3. Re: EA to Close Visceral's Melbourne Studio? Sep 17, 2011, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 08:09:
Is there another Visceral studio? I thought the dead space franchise was doing well?

The main Visceral studio is in Redwood Shores, California and that's still going I think. I was surprised to hear that had a studio in Australia.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House to Use Paypal
5. Re: Diablo III Auction House to Use Paypal Sep 14, 2011, 23:06 Parallax Abstraction

PayPal? Cripes, it's almost like they're trying to drive people away from liking RMT.

"What's the best way to promote this initiative? Why to partner with a company with one of the worst customer service track records anywhere and who has a history of shutting customers out of their money of course!"

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Cities In Motion Expansion, Patch, and New Demo Released
1. Re: Cities In Motion Expansion, Patch, and New Demo Released Sep 14, 2011, 21:11 Parallax Abstraction

Is this the patch that makes the tutorial make any kind of sense? I really want to try and like this game but I've never managed to get past the tutorial portion where you have to run an underground subway. It gives you the directive to run a subway between two places but not really tell you how to do it and no matter how many times I try, it won't complete.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 16:27 Parallax Abstraction

I'm glad to see I can just start this from the menu and they don't require that it be integrated into the main game. I'm guessing this will probably be $10 and if it's at least a few hours, I'm cool with that if the storytelling and characterization are still good.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GameStop's Tablet Plans
14. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 18:41 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 17:43:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:56:
I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it.

Sorry, but IMO, Android is far worse: you have *zero* ability to move purchases between Tablet A and phone B, as the purchase is tethered to the device, not the account.*

In that respect, Apple is already superior. The majority of my investment will be in the software and music, not the hardware. Let me move it as I see fit to upgrade.

^D^

* Unless, of course, this has changed since last year when was considering an Android tablet.

Wow, if you're serious about that, I agree that's a massive shortcoming on Android's part. That's the same problem Wii and DS owners have right now and given Android's open nature, if anything I expected it to be the opposite. For all the things I do hate about Apple, I will give credit where credit's due in that allowing things to move based on the account is much more user friendly. Even if you buy stuff on the Android Marketplace, it doesn't track it by account?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested
5. Re: Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested Sep 13, 2011, 15:08 Parallax Abstraction

With places like Giant Bomb, it's very easy to tell what many games are going to be like, even without a demo. I actually think this looks cool, I just don't have time for it and think it's a bit expensive. I'll wait until it's on sale and play it then.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GameStop's Tablet Plans
11. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 10:56 Parallax Abstraction

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:38:
People don't give a crap about tablets. They just want iPads.

Many do but it's estimated Apple's tablet market share will be 60% by 2013. It may be by the end of 2013, not sure but I read this yesterday. The iPad will be the dominant force in tablets but other manufacturers are gaining ground fast. Which is good, I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it. Hopefully viable alternatives for those of us who like to use our products the way we want will surface.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content "Very Soon"
11. Re: Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content "Very Soon" Sep 9, 2011, 22:17 Parallax Abstraction

Seeing as how if I recall, they just "converted" every EA.com account to an Origin account (including the majority of them that never had purchases) made, I will also call bullshit on the accuracy of this. And yeah, like others said, even if the number is true, they've just barely eclipsed the number of CONCURRENT users Steam has on during peak times. It's not that impressive in the end.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD: August Sales Down 23%
2. Re: NPD: August Sales Down 23% Sep 8, 2011, 21:42 Parallax Abstraction

Not that NPD numbers have any real relevance anymore but I am very happy to hear that Deus Ex Human Revolution is doing so great. It's about time a really worthy game that's basically a new IP to many people sells well. I'd love to see a platform breakdown too. I bet PC doesn't have the largest sales numbers but I bet because of the higher digital margins, Square Enix is making the most money there.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Online Pass Sep 8, 2011, 10:43 Parallax Abstraction

I love how he says "probably 10-15 million". 5 million dollars is a pretty huge gap. So either he's pulling that number out of his backside or their accounting is really terrible. I also love this choice quote:

"Brown pointed out that the above figure is "found revenue" that comes from users who previously "consumed bandwidth for free"."

You mean the bandwidth that has a near zero cost now? Or the fact that many of these people PAY for Xbox Live and that it was EA's CHOICE AND INSISTENCE to host their own servers instead of using Microsoft's? Or the fact that most of your major franchises were profitable before you implemented Online Pass? Cry me a river.

Maybe EA should be spend less resources on this and more on perhaps actually marketing the litany of awesome EA Partner's titles in the last year that bombed and cost them a fortune because they didn't bother to tell anyone they existed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month
31. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:18 Parallax Abstraction

A Game of A Game of Thrones?

Can't believe I'm the first person to make that joke.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Avalanche Layoffs
5. Re: Avalanche Layoffs Sep 7, 2011, 14:46 Parallax Abstraction

Razorclaw wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 14:34:
Quboid wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 11:44:
That's what you get for not liking DRM!
- Ubisoft (in my imagination)

different avalanche, I think

It is. Avalanche SOFTWARE is the Disney studio based in Salt Lake City that had these layoffs. Avalanche STUDIOS is the Swedish company that made the Just Cause series and hates DRM.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build?
51. Re: Sep 6, 2011, 15:55 Parallax Abstraction

Watter wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 15:46:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 13:44:
I also think that after Deus Ex showed how to do a proper PC port, PC gamers need to stop supporting this kind of half-assed horseshit...
I don't want to sidetrack this conversation, but I seriously don't get how DX:HR was a great port. I have recently played Witcher 2, Red Faction Armageddon, and a few others all without incident (I don't recall a single crash in Witcher 2), but DX:HR is the buggiest piece of junk I've ever seen. I'm about halfway through and I'm seriously considering dropping it because I just can't enjoy myself when it crashes so much. If I get though 30 minutes without a crash, it's something to celebrate. I WANT to enjoy this game, but crash! Crash! CRASH! ugggg, maybe I'll go watch some TV...

Yeah, I would look into your setup because I played the entire game without a single error or crash, as did a number of friends who also bought it. It very well could be a problem that DE:HR is triggering but from a general perspective, it's extremely stable and polished.

Also, I don't know if that's your real e-mail address you put in the subject line of your post but I'd remove it if you don't want to get spammed to Hell and gone.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
9. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 5, 2011, 13:26 Parallax Abstraction

These "tell all" game industry abuse blogs that provide no evidence to back up their claims are becoming way too common. There's some bad working practices in the industry to be sure but it's also dead easy to make a blog and bitch about supposedly horrible conditions and get a lot of support, even though the burden is supposed to be on him to provide evidence. Maybe the guy was just a shitty employee who got fired and wants some sour grapes revenge. Considering Germany has some of the toughest labour laws in the world if I recall, Crytek claims to have never had a CFO (one of the titles the guy claims as being fired) and finding records of lawsuits brought against them would be trivially easy, I'm inclined to think this one is bullshit. It would be easy for the guy to link to the publicly available records of any lawsuit to give his rant validity, yet he didn't.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Team Bondi Offices Close
5. Re: Team Bondi Offices Close Sep 2, 2011, 13:39 Parallax Abstraction

elefunk wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 12:26:
Sucks terribly for the horribly mistreated employees, but it's nice to see McNamara go down in flames.

+1. If that guy gets another gig, the game industry is truly as clueless as it often appears.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Team Bondi in Administration
9. Re: Team Bondi in Administration Sep 1, 2011, 12:29 Parallax Abstraction

What Beamer said. Administration is literally the European/Australian term for bankruptcy. Likely Chapter 7 bankruptcy most likely if they plan to liquidate rather than restructure.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Team Bondi in Administration
1. Re: Team Bondi in Administration Sep 1, 2011, 10:07 Parallax Abstraction

Sad to see the hard working staff at Team Bondi out of work but Brendan McNamara definitely has this coming. Here's hoping no one gives that scumbag money again, at least not until he learned to be a person.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > LIMBO Developer Buys Itself
13. Re: LIMBO Developer Buys Itself Aug 31, 2011, 20:00 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 19:20:
How do you know? Are any of you privy to the actual terms of the deal? It's not like the banks would touch them, and even if they did it would be assuredly worse. I was 21 when I opened my first restaurant and I could have never done so without investors. It was a success they were well compensated as they deserved to be because otherwise it would have never happened. Unless you've ever been in business for yourself, and I mean a real business that requires real capital that most people can't afford themselves than you have no idea what you're talking about.

Pro tip: If they bought themselves back, it means their investors got paid. And they likely made a tidy profit on it. As they deserved to if they gave them the money when they needed it.

But whatever, being a childish douchebag is your schtick on here.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: LIMBO Developer Buys Itself Aug 31, 2011, 11:19 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 11:13:
Buying yourself back offers more financial independence? Actually it costs your money, so it reduces your financial independence... just saying... now you are 100% dependent on your next game not tanking

I think they mean financial independence in that they now are entirely in control of how money is spend. And creative independence is more what they wanted I think. If their investors weren't trying to meddle in their creativity, they probably wouldn't have tried to buy themselves out. They've already demonstrated they know how to make games people want to buy and play and I'd wager their next project would be worse with investors at the helm who largely know nothing about creativity.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: LIMBO Developer Buys Itself Aug 31, 2011, 10:54 Parallax Abstraction

Good for them! It's such a rare thing now when a company gets a chance to kick greedy investors to the curb. Very glad their success has put them back in charge of their own fate.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3274 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo