Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3156 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
37. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 21:22 Parallax Abstraction

PropheT wrote on May 26, 2011, 20:53:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 26, 2011, 20:43:
*except maybe for those who paid extra for the buggy shit but as I said it's not gonna happen again... The Witcher 3 including all DLC (pre-order and CE and whatnot) will be mine for free. YAAAARRRR!

Other than 1 item, all of the DLC was always going to be free for the game. They said so a while ago. You're really that upset about the 1 useless virtual item?

Have you considered emailing the address they set up for your item instead of raging on a game forum about how you'll pirate their next game instead?

Raging like an idiot is all CJ_Parker does.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive
7. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:53 Parallax Abstraction

As others did, I tried the demo on Xbox Live a while ago. If that demo is in any way representative of the game as a whole, don't feel bad for missing it. It's not good. I thought Red Faction Guerrilla was one of the most fun games in years but this one looks like Dead Space dumbed down to dudebro level.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM
44. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:59 Parallax Abstraction

cliffski wrote on May 26, 2011, 08:12:
the amount of data that would need to be transferred would be trivial. laughably lower than just a few emails a day.

The amount that NEEDS to be transferred and the amount that WILL be transferred are very different things, particularly if this DRM is not developed by the most adept programmer. I seem to recall people reporting that AC2 was pushing 50K/sec+ consistently when it was released, though I never validated this myself because I didn't buy it on PC. Also, I'm not into paying full price for a game that the publisher can and will turn the servers off, rendering it unplayable at one point.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > ARMA 3 Specs
2. Re: ARMA 3 Specs May 20, 2011, 23:45 Parallax Abstraction

So being a Bohemia game, you take those specs and double them. Then if you're very lucky, the game might run at 30FPS.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts Issues
1. Re: Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts Issues May 20, 2011, 13:25 Parallax Abstraction

Bethesda bugs are Bethesda.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > ARMA 3 Announced
2. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 19, 2011, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

Hopefully Bohemia have finally learned to actually finish their games before they ship them this time.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gabe Newell Interview
22. Re: Gabe Newell Interview May 16, 2011, 07:54 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on May 15, 2011, 20:10:
Gabe,
There's other ways to help that along instead of trying to squeeze money out of it. Such as a reputation meter or something. Someway you can vote on someone's profile how fun they are to play with. Of course you'll have people gaming that system voting you are a jerk just because they can, it would need some tweaking. The thing is, with the kick system in L4D games, its fairly easy to get rid of 1 bad apple on a team.

Xbox Live has a system like this. you have a 5 star rating that it voted up or down based on whether players mark your gamertag as one they enjoyed playing with or one they want to avoid. You can also submit player "complaints" for things like sitting idle, unsporting conduct, foul language, griefing etc. And it doesn't work at all. tons of people will file complaints or negative reviews against you just because you were on the same team as them and lost a match or because you didn't play at the level they think they're at. And well, I've reported people who have said some extremely vile things even by Xbox Live standards and nothing happened to them. The complaints system does nothing and the ratings in theory allow you to avoid disliked players in matchmaking but that rarely works and even if it does, you have to go through like 3 painfully slow menus to report someone.

If anyone could do this model better, it's Valve to be sure. But yeah, the system is very easily open to abuse.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Delayed Again
2. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Shooter Delayed Again May 13, 2011, 12:26 Parallax Abstraction

Future Soldier, not Shooter. Not that it really matters.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles
35. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 20:00 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2011, 14:56:
Wetworks wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:22:
I hate to burst Randy's bubble but the only reason Duke was talked about all these years was because it was the biggest joke in the gaming industry. If Duke didn't hold the the vaporware crown for 14 years it would've just been another random fps.

That's it in a nutshell. Duke was nothing special. It was ridiculous even then. It's only because of it's lord of the vaporware title it became something of a meme that stuck around. People speak of the Beatles with fondess and reverence. They speak of Duke as a bad joke. It's clear that Randy simply does not "get it" anymore than any other pre-pubescent boy, so don't try and defend him and his asinine analogy or you don't get it either, Sho and PA.

I disagree with your interpretation of how the franchise was regarded in the past but your last sentence was your typical douchebag response towards those who disagree so there's no point in trying to debate this with you.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles
15. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 13:38 Parallax Abstraction

The Advocate wrote on May 11, 2011, 12:45:
I can see the connection. Both objects are overhyped*, underperforming* cult objects that should have long ago faded away and made room for better products.

*Full Disclosure: I fucking HATE the Beatles. For about a decade of my childhood, that is all my Dad would listen to. Burned out on them entirely and I can not view them objectively.

Pretty much this. I never got The Beatles at all. I even recently went back and listened to a lot of their stuff to see what I just didn't get and never found it. It's just generic 60s rock with uninspired lyrics and their later stuff is just nonsensical (likely cause they were all stoned when it was written). My opinion's obviously in the minority though.

As Sho said, Pitchford actually has a cogent point that he's just explaining poorly which is a problem he often has it seems. He's not saying Duke has the type of following The Beatles have, just that he's still talked about today because even when people are making fun of it, many of those conversations also have fond remembrances of how great Duke3D was at the time and that does help sell it. A lot of the people who are going to pick up DNF are going to do so because they want to see if it can rekindle what they loved about the past ones.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Quote of the Day
7. Re: Quote of the Day May 11, 2011, 07:36 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2011, 04:48:
I sincerely hope that Dyack is right.

+1. Frustrates me to no end to see scumbag companies like Zynga which owe most of their initial success to signing people up for text message scams succeeding with these micro-transaction based progress bars masquerading as games. There's always going to be a market for this to be sure but as others have said, it will level off and overvalued stuff like this is due for a big correction.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Quote of the Day
8. Re: Quote of the Day May 5, 2011, 19:22 Parallax Abstraction

The real question is, how many synergies were maximised and how much added value did they bring from being team players?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bad Day at Black Rock
2. Re: Bad Day at Black Rock May 5, 2011, 11:24 Parallax Abstraction

I remember reading a while back from some kind of industry insider post that Disney Interactive is refocusing their business on children's games and is basically getting out of hardcore stuff like Black Rock and the now dead Propaganda Games were doing. Still amazes me that companies will spend millions to buy or start these studios just to dump it all a couple years later.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 4, 2011, 10:14 Parallax Abstraction

Canada still in copyright "hall of shame" for not implementing RIAA/MPAA written legislation to save a failing business model. USA in "hall of shame" for just about everything else.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
4. Re: Civilization V Patched Apr 29, 2011, 09:28 Parallax Abstraction

Parias wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 23:30:
And yet STILL no option to enable unit animations in multiplayer? I'll continue to be disappointed until they fix that - we have a LAN party waiting on exactly this update.

I'm still amazed the game came out like that. I got my girlfriend into Civilization V and when we play together, she kept hearing me bemoan how terrible multi looks without the animations. She didn't get the big deal, then she decided to play a game by herself one afternoon and was like "Oh, now I see what you mean, this game looks awful in multiplayer." and now she enjoys it less because of that. I don't know what benefit they thought they were providing by leaving it out. It does speed up the game but as others said, just make it an option.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Borderlands Proposal
11. Re: Borderlands Proposal Apr 24, 2011, 21:33 Parallax Abstraction

That's a damn cool thing for Gearbox to do, I must say. Mega kudos to them.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom DLC and Patch
2. Re: The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom DLC and Patch Apr 21, 2011, 00:40 Parallax Abstraction

I don't get why it's still enabled on this title when I thought they removed it from most of the others that are using it. This game looks really good and as soon as they remove the DRM, I'll buy it.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 15:49 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 13:17:
There are legitimate beefs about the way the ARG was run...yours isn't one of them.

A wild fanboy! It's so rare to see them outside of the official forums!

Didn't you say you weren't going to speak of this anymore? You think it was in the scam, yet you participated in it. Now that it's over, you say you don't want to talk about it anymore, yet here you are still whining. Get over yourself.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 14:09 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, I think the only games they would try this on would be the huge blockbuster releases that have huge devoted player bases. Paying for a non-delayed release is exactly the kind of thing Bobby Kotick might try and I wouldn't be surprised to see him try it with CoD at some point. Which would be fine cause I bet it would result in much lower sales and that series needs to be kicked down a few pegs so it might actually try to innovate at some point.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2011, 13:04 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:59:
Parallax,

I have no rage over this promotion, I wasn't actually even aware of it until this morning. It just seems stupid.

And yes, the promotion as it is NOW is nothing but beneficial to everyone. This is still the game industry we're talking about. It won't take them long to turn it around so it's only beneficial to you if you actually take part and PAY.

DLC when it first came out was strictly "additions to a game."

It didn't take long before it turned into a "content we're withholding, even though it's already included, until you pay extra" scheme.

All in all, it seemed like a lot of hoopla over something that tons of people apparently took part in, only for a ridiculously minor change in release date.

Creston

I do get your concerns and I agree that the game industry isn't above pulling a stunt like that. But for any AAA title to succeed in the way the market works like now, it needs massive hype and needs people there on day one. Over something like 90% of a game's sales happen in the first month. If publishers start promotions where it forces potential customers to either buy into pre-release content or wait weeks to play (especially with titles where a strong multiplayer community is key), it's a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the big publishers try that idea and I guarantee you it will be the only time they do because that title will be pirated six ways from Sunday and will be a financial disaster.

I think this is a fundamentally different situation than how DLC has evolved into making people pay for a complete experience but really, even that hasn't played out the way people predicted years back. This is an industry where profitability is becoming based on luck alone in most cases and there's no doubt that increasingly desperate companies will try increasingly desperate things. But I think something like this just wouldn't work for them. Most people already think $60 for a console game is too expensive and with such a selection out there, very few will pay substantially more just to get the game on release day.

Parallax Abstraction

3156 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo