Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3199 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time
2. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 25, 2011, 21:23 Parallax Abstraction

Cripes Pachter, will you stop running your fucking mouth already? And would the press stop quoting this idiot? It's easy to sit on your high horse in your mansion and talk down to other working people getting ripped off.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
24. Re: BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops Jul 24, 2011, 18:57 Parallax Abstraction

Much as I'd prefer to buy from Steam, I don't understand why people would avoid it entirely if it's not there. None of the previous games in the series took advantage of any Steamworks features (and man, I wish they would instead of the horrendous server browser and friends system DICE uses) and if you bought it on Steam, you'd get the exact same version you'd get from GamersGate, Direct2Drive, retail or if you must, Origin. The only difference is the icon you click on. I'll be waiting until the last minute to pre-order to see if it does come to Steam but if not, Direct2Drive will be fine.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bill Roper Joins Disney/Marvel
6. Re: Bill Roper Joins Disney/Marvel Jul 23, 2011, 13:24 Parallax Abstraction

Let's see if Bill Roper's inept enough to take down Disney.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2011, 11:54 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, they won't pay $60 for a game. They'll pay 3 times that between the subscription and the microtransactions to get the same amount of content they got for $60.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
8. Re: Ubisoft Financials Jul 21, 2011, 10:01 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 00:51:
Their sales are down because they didn't have any major releases in this last quarter. Last year it was Splinter Cell which sold extremely well and the new Price of Persia.

I'm pretty sure the last PoP totally bombed. Its price dropped drastically within a month. I don't think Conviction sold all that well either. Less than 2 million units, which major publishers typically consider a disappointment. Mirror's Edge sold over 2 million units and we have yet to hear of any sequel.

EA has said they are working on a Mirror's Edge sequel.

Also, the new Prince of Persia sold over a million copies if I recall. I don't know how many of them were after drastic price cuts so maybe they didn't make any money on it though.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Darkness II Delayed
3. Re: The Darkness II Delayed Jul 19, 2011, 19:08 Parallax Abstraction

It's also Digital Extremes who if I recall, have had most of their AAA projects (i.e. the stuff that wasn't make work like the BioShock 2 multiplayer or PC version of Homefront) hit with significant delays, only to come out in a kind of mediocre state (i.e. Pariah and Dark Sector). I really liked the first Darkness, I really hope they don't screw this up.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Faxion Online Team Layoffs
3. Re: Faxion Online Team Layoffs Jul 19, 2011, 08:46 Parallax Abstraction

Ignition has been shedding staff left and right lately. They must not be doing very well.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 17, 2011, 18:42 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah cause the industry isn't having a hard enough time being profitable as it is, now they need another graphical jump to triple their budgets again.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jul 13, 2011, 15:34 Parallax Abstraction

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 13:23:
So basically Popcap has to make EA a ton of money or else.

Goodbye good games from Popcap. Hello cheap sequels & EA game tie-ins.

Pachter = Not credible.

That said, since PopCap hasn't had an original idea in their lives, they'll probably fit into EA nicely.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Castle Empire Revealed
1. Re: Castle Empire Revealed Jul 9, 2011, 13:36 Parallax Abstraction

Come Play My Lord!  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
24. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 15:50 Parallax Abstraction

The only thing I hate about requirements listings like these is they don't say what resolution they are based on. Trying to run the game as 1024x768 is a lot less demanding than 1920x1080.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit
51. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 17:52 Parallax Abstraction

So the general consensus is that it's everyone's fault except the piece of shit thieves who stole and leaked an incomplete product and that this clearly means the game will sell better, even though there's not a shred of evidence to that effect? It's beginning to sound a lot like TechDirt.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
21. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 14:12 Parallax Abstraction

Fion wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 12:36:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:51:

Also, $74B in revenue, and yet none of them make a profit.

Creston

It's the same kind of wackjob accounting that let Newline claim they lost money on the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I'd like to believe it's just funny accounting and those most of these publishers are actually doing fine but look at the stock prices for EA, THQ, Ubisoft and others in recent years. Down, down, down. Funny accounting means that they made money and just make it look like they didn't, which investors know. When stock prices and market valuations are dropping, that usually means they're actually not making any real money. The board of directors and the CEO get most of their wealth from the shares they own and in recent years, all those shares have been worth less.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
4. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 11:48 Parallax Abstraction

That's $74B in revenue, not profits. Virtually all the publishers are still losing money right now. Not saying that's because of piracy (I think it largely isn't) but these numbers about how "big the industry is" are simplistic and don't tell the whole story. Mobile is also big but that's as hit driven as AAA titles are as well. 95% of the stuff that goes on iTunes or Android Marketplace doesn't make money. A few get rich, the rest get nothing. The industry can bring in as much revenue as it wants but if it still costs more to produce thees games than they're bringing in, the revenue doesn't matter.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split
17. Re: Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split Jul 5, 2011, 11:46 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 10:53:
justice7 wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 10:49:
Who at R* was responsible for GTA IV?

Honestly, the story of Niko Bellec and the entirety of Liberty City was a pure work of art. I'd be very sad if Team Bondi had anything to do with GTA IV.

They didn't. 0% of Team Bondi was involved in GTA4.

As for who owns LA Noire, my guess would be either Rockstar or T2. Neither of them would have sunk money into LA Noire and then let Bondi own the property. And since R* is basically the ONLY thing that T2 has that makes money, I'd say that R* can do whatever they want with LA Noire 2.

And yes, there is an LA Noire 2 being planned (and even an LA Noire 3.)

Creston

The intro text when you first run the game says the copyright is owned by Rockstar Games, Inc. which means that yeah, they own the IP and future iterations of the series will likely be developed in house. So Team Bondi literally has nothing to offer as an acquisition. If Rockstar didn't buy them, likely their only hope is to find another publisher to bankroll their next project, who will also own that IP. Meaning that Team Bondi is really just a studio for hire that has no real value in it, especially if they keep burning through talent. Given that Rockstar funded the last several years of LA Noire's development, even with their royalties they're earning, they probably don't have much cash on hand to go without a new publisher for long.

Rockstar is infamous for their bad management and abusive treatment of their staff (see the stories about Rockstar San Diego during Red Dead Redemption's development, reports say that Rockstar Vancouver is no better) and if they are kicking Team Bondi to the curb for similar reasons, you can imagine how bad it is. I'm amazed Brendan McNamara agreed to that IGN interview. After reading that, it's pretty clear the guy is an entitled egotist who thinks he has far more talent than he actually does. He probably thinks that because of LA Noire's success, they'll have no problem landing another publisher but after these stories, I bet many companies in this now risk-averse industries won't go anywhere near him. I wouldn't be surprised if the opening of Rockstar Sydney is announced in the next few weeks (staffed with many ex Team Bondi members of course) and that Team Bondi will fail to find a publisher and burn out within the next year. They made a pretty decent game but this industry needs less people like McNamara, terrible, arrogant managers with middling game design abilities.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 3, 2011, 17:19 Parallax Abstraction

I feel bad for the employees at Epic that weren't involved in the leak. I suspect there will be a massive inquisition there now and that management's trust of the staff and morale in general have plummeted.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 2, 2011, 22:00 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 20:33:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 20:21:
Or for that matter, that Go Daddy will begin operating with a shred of business ethics? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Never used them... what did allegedly they do that was so unethical? They seem like a popular host / registrar.

I have friends who have had GoDaddy outright refuse to transfer their domains out to other registrars or "lose" the record of the transfer multiple times. They also have horrible customer support and often bill people for canceled services. Their biggest offense (beyond what nin linked) is what's called "frontrunning". Essentially, what happens is you search for a domain name that's available. If enough people search for that but don't commit to it, GoDaddy buys the domain themselves because they know there's interest in it, then jack up the price when someone does want to buy. This violates the rules of ICANN (the international body that regulates TLDs) but since ICANN is gutless, GoDaddy has continually gotten away with this.

Bob Parsons has no business ethics and is just a piece of shit human being to boot. It's sad that he's getting rich based on the way he does business.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 2, 2011, 20:21 Parallax Abstraction

Fion wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 16:06:
Does that mean no more of those god aweful 'Go Daddy' commercials? Thank the gods!

Or for that matter, that Go Daddy will begin operating with a shred of business ethics? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging
30. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 14:53 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:59:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:10:
Prez wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 12:10:
So can I buy Halo 3 for PC now?

Why would you want to though?

Call me crazy ("YOU ARE CRAZY!"), but I actually want to play Halo 3 because I like the series.

Yes, you are indeed totally crazy.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging
11. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 13:10 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 12:10:
So can I buy Halo 3 for PC now?

Why would you want to though?

Parallax Abstraction

3199 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo