Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Sword of the Stars II Launch Issues
14. Re: Sword of the Stars Launch Issues Oct 31, 2011, 15:29 Parallax Abstraction

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 13:50:
This year for PC gamers has been one disaster after another. Next up: Skyrim.

I'm fully expecting that at least. Bethesda is rarely able to launch a game in a better than clusterfuck state. Even some of their first titles from back in the early 90s were disasters when they came out. They either are completely inept at QA or just put out stuff when it isn't ready cause they know people will buy it anyway (and they do, look how well New Vegas sold).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 29, 2011, 18:43 Parallax Abstraction

The tech press will likely make no mention whatsoever of the Samsung news. They won't shut up if Apple's up but as soon as they aren't the winner at something, nary a word. It's amazing how Apple's managed to turn a lot of the tech and even the mainstream press into rabid fanbois.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Takes Off
13. Re: Take On Helicopters Takes Off Oct 28, 2011, 08:49 Parallax Abstraction

So this being a Bohemia game, in about six month it should be patched to a semi-playable state right?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Origin Adds Publishers
18. Re: Origin Adds Publishers Oct 28, 2011, 08:44 Parallax Abstraction

I'm really surprised to see other publishers putting their products on a platform where one of their chief competitors get a cut of the revenue.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Louis Castle Leaves Zynga
4. Re: Louis Castle Leaves Zynga Oct 26, 2011, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 10:42:
5 day a week, 24/7...

Okay, Louis. Headscratch

Creston

If I were to guess, I think that was a badly worded way of saying that "This was supposed to be a 5 day a week job but it ended up being a 24/7 job." Since he goes on to talk about his kids after, I think he was implying that Zynga was demanding too much of his time. Who knows though.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > EA: Syndicate Remake Possible
6. Re: EA: Syndicate Remake Possible Oct 25, 2011, 00:15 Parallax Abstraction

Putting it on the iPad, possibly the only thing worse they could do to a new Syndicate game beyond making it an FPS.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
51. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 15:56 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:40:
I'm curious, why exactly? I haven't played the BF3 campaign but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to judge them based on their own merits. How are reviews being unfair to the SP?

My opinion of course but basically because I don't see how campaign stories can get much worse than the Modern Warfare franchise. My problem isn't necessarily that they're saying the BF3 story is bad. It may very well be. From what I've seen, it's another generic Michael Bay style "crazy foreign (i.e. non-American) dude wants to take over the world". Problem is, that's the same garbage that MW games had and they were praised in many reviews for their stories. My complaint comes not from thinking BF3 should be rated higher but wondering why the MW tripe was rated so high.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
23. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 13:13 Parallax Abstraction

I didn't have high hopes for the campaign as that's never been DICE's strong suit but yeah, that it gets slammed while the CoD Modern Warfare campaigns get high praise show the double standards reviewers have. Aside from being Michael Bay-like drivel, the MW2 No Russian missions was one of the most arrogant, pretentious attempts I've seen to inject meaningful, emotional storytelling into what was a total top-down dudebro story. No one's really buying this for the campaign anyway but yeah, knocking that story and praising MW's screams of wrong things.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview
8. Re: The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim Footage/Interview Oct 22, 2011, 15:22 Parallax Abstraction

I really, really hope this doesn't release in a bug-ridden disaster state like most other Bethesda projects...oh who am I kidding...  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Postal III in December?
10. Re: Postal III in December? Oct 21, 2011, 21:45 Parallax Abstraction

I swear Vince Desi must be selling coke out of the Running With Scissors offices or something. I don't know how a company that's released two critical and sales bombs--the last of which came out 8 years ago--can survive long enough to finally finish this,  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Driver: San Francisco Patch
4. Re: Driver: San Francisco Patch Oct 21, 2011, 10:39 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 08:19:
Still interested enough to check the patch notes to see if Ubistupid patched out the always online requirement. Not yet I guess.

I'm pretty sure they removed that before release. I think it does have to do a check on startup but I don't believe it requires being online all the time. I rented this on 360 with low expectations and it's actually a surprisingly good game.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
5. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished" Oct 17, 2011, 11:15 Parallax Abstraction

Nearly every major DICE release on PC has had major problems at launch, beta or no beta. They simply release games before they're done. I expect this one to be no different.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > RAGE Patched
57. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 22:34 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently the swap tear switch (along with a number of other switches people were tweaking with) have been disabled in this patch. The game will let you use them but they no longer have any effect.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > RAGE Patched
51. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 22:03 Parallax Abstraction

After hearing of all the issues, I decided to wait a few days after release to try RAGE. I heard about this patch and thought it was a good time to jump in. It seems to run well with no pop-in but the screen tearing is so bad, it gives me eye strain. The V-Sync option they added goes back to Off after I click Accept, though every other option sticks. Forcing V-Sync in the NVIDIA drivers doesn't make any difference either. In every other game I've played since building this rig, I haven't needed V-Sync and get no tearing. People in the Bethesda forums are having lots of issues but very few seem to be having this one. I'm going to wait a couple of days to hear if there's a solution. If not, I'm requesting a refund from Steam and renting this on 360. Not interested in paying $60 for the promise of this one day maybe working.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
28. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 7, 2011, 23:11 Parallax Abstraction

Here's my problem with the whole driver argument Carmack is making. This largely spawned from a discussion had on today's Tested.com podcast. While I obviously had to pay for my video card and it is the chip manufacturer's job to keep it supplied with drivers, in the case of RAGE, I paid id for it, not NVIDIA or ATI. It's id's job to ensure that their brand new engine works properly and if that requires special driver considerations, it's their responsibility to contact NVIDIA and ATI and get that done before the game comes out. If they called these companies and said "John Carmack would like to talk to you to make sure id Tech 5 works with your cards", they'd probably have their lead drivers engineers on the phone with him instantly. There is absolutely no excuse for drivers not being ready for this game that was in development for 6 years well in advance of launch. For Carmack to claim it's all the video chip maker's faults when he apparently made no effort to loop them in on his tech is ridiculous.

Frankly, I see this as a potential failing of their Zenimax acquisition. Bethesda hasn't put out a game I can think of that didn't have major launch problems and this seems to be the latest one. They seem to have an aversion to setting realistic release dates and sticking to those no matter what, even if the products clearly aren't ready yet. As someone who gave my money to them and no one else for RAGE, I think it's perfectly fair to put this bad launch on their shoulders. Had they contacted NVIDIA and ATI 6 months ago, I wonder if these problems would be here now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 4, 2011, 21:04 Parallax Abstraction

GameSTOP Blue.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > RAGE Steam Preloads Begin
36. Re: RAGE Steam Preloads Begin Oct 1, 2011, 13:19 Parallax Abstraction

Been trying to pre-load since last night. Tried a half dozen different download server and keep getting told the Steam servers are too busy. Seriously, is Valve ever going to learn to scale? I bought the pre-order code on Direct2Drive on a sale, I wonder if it's aware of which ones are from third parties and assigns them differently. If I download the 17GB installer from Direct2Drive, does anyone know what that actually does? This is a Steamworks game so is it just a big chunk of the game assets Steam folder?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > PC is Dead to I Am Alive
7. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 15:54 Parallax Abstraction

Wait, so this is just a downloadable game now?! That's quite a shift...  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Kane & Lynch 3 Plans?
7. Re: Kane & Lynch 3 Plans? Sep 27, 2011, 22:28 Parallax Abstraction

Both Kane & Lynch games sold over a million copies. They both sucked but at least a million people spent money to prove they have no taste. Also, EA owns Freedom Fighters so the likelyhood of a sequel to that (much less one done as well as the first) are about as likely as System Shock at this point.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Patch
1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Patch Sep 24, 2011, 13:45 Parallax Abstraction

THANK YOU for adding the mute all button! Now playing with randoms will actually be something I can do without wanting to murder things.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo