Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 18, 2014, 09:19 Parallax Abstraction

Trouble's a' brewin' in the tablet market. Numerous reports are talking about how sales are falling (mostly because people have no reason to upgrade anymore) but yeah, Apple products never go on sale and if they do, it's because they need to move numbers.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 20:39 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 20:11:
This is basically just packing what you already can have on any PC, or tablet for that matter, into a neat mainstream noob friendly package. I don't mind, but I won't pledge either.

Though it's for the Raspberry Pi which is a device that is most certainly not n00b friendly. Odd project but I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Next Month
8. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Next Month Aug 16, 2014, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

I tried the base campaign a few months ago and couldn't stand the clearly designed for tablets UI. So has that already been overhauled or if that just going to be in the Director's Cut?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Golf Club Next Week
3. Re: The Golf Club Next Week Aug 12, 2014, 20:39 Parallax Abstraction

What I saw of this when Giant Bomb covered it actually looked pretty awesome. I was waiting until it was out of Early Access. Curious if it's been polished up enough.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2014, 10:29 Parallax Abstraction

I've got a FitBit Force. Seriously, THIS is what the senator is upset about? The thing tracks step counts and calorie burn rate, that's it. It doesn't track any other metrics such as heartbeat (unlike the stuff from Samsung and rumoured stuff from Apple will) and doesn't have GPS capability in it. Maybe it would know my location if I was syncing it through my phone but guess what? Anything on your smartphone can track your location! If you aren't disabling GPS on your phone, many companies far less virtuous than FitBit know where you've been. We live in an age of Facebook and Google where every single thing you do and say online is analysed, packaged up and sold to the highest bidder with little to no benefit being provided to the end user beyond access to a free service that's costing the company pennies on the dollar to provide with the data they're mining from you. But FitBit is the privacy nightmare? Give me a fucking break. I guess FitBit didn't pay their bribe this month.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2014, 11:50.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Another The Crew Beta This Month
6. Re: Another The Crew Beta This Month Aug 8, 2014, 21:34 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 21:02:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 17:08:
Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:36:
Did anyone play the beta? Any feedback on the actual driving?

I didn't mind it. It's definitely very arcadey but I thought it played pretty well. Some placed that were really down on it when it was shown at E3 2013 said it's improved a lot too. The engine had some glitches (though this was a proper beta, not a marketing beta) and it was locked to 30FPS on PC but I think I read that's supposed to change by release. The seamless co-op was really slick too. Has a lot of promise.

Thanks PA

Sure thing.

I really hope Ubisoft gets this game right. Just the sheer size of the map and how the environments change are amazing. 30FPS on PC would be ridiculous though.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Another The Crew Beta This Month
3. Re: Another The Crew Beta This Month Aug 8, 2014, 17:08 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:36:
Did anyone play the beta? Any feedback on the actual driving?

I didn't mind it. It's definitely very arcadey but I thought it played pretty well. Some placed that were really down on it when it was shown at E3 2013 said it's improved a lot too. The engine had some glitches (though this was a proper beta, not a marketing beta) and it was locked to 30FPS on PC but I think I read that's supposed to change by release. The seamless co-op was really slick too. Has a lot of promise.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2014, 13:26 Parallax Abstraction

I've long said that while tablets aren't going anywhere, their meteoric growth was the result of an unsustainable fashion trend. Tablet sales are dropping rapidly right now so it appears that's the case. People are realising that you can spend less than the cost of an iPad on a laptop that has far more functionality and more horsepower (even Chromebooks). Back when the iPad came out and was primarily a content consumption device and not really something conducive to content creation, people said it would just take a bit of time and everyone would figure that out. It's what would lead to our "Post-PC World". Yeah, hasn't happened yet. Schools spent a bunch of money because like others said, some executives got their shiny new fashion accessory iPads and needed to spread the gospel like a good Apple cultist. Then they realised they weren't up to the job and a pile of money was wasted.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2014, 09:14 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 01:14:
AMD builds SSD's... what could possibly go wrong!

From what I'm reading, they're basically rebadged OCZ/Toshiba drives. Their RAM is basically a rebadging too. They're selling them but they're not really building them. But based on my experience with OCZ stuff, to answer your question, a lot could possibly go wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 6, 2014, 12:02 Parallax Abstraction

If there is any more than a 0% chance of me being held liable for what someone else does when using my Internet connection (and there is legal precedent for that), I'll keep my network to myself thank you. But of course, this was a Steve Jobs idea which is why Re/Code is tripping over themselves to gush about what a brilliant idea is. Even by tech press standards, it's hilarious how bad they are at hiding what an Apple fansite they are.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
8. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 11:57 Parallax Abstraction

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:
I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.

Yep. It's far and away the best ever under the hood. Install Classic Shell for free which all but eliminates the Metro environment from the equation and it's just like Windows 7, only faster. I installed it on my gaming PC a few months ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. HDMI on my desktop and my laptop work fine too. *shrug*

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Take 2 Financials; Evolve Delayed
4. Re: Take 2 Financials; Evolve Delayed Aug 5, 2014, 19:58 Parallax Abstraction

The alpha was promising but it had performance issues (normal in an alpha of course) but I think the monster's too unbalanced. All but one match I played, the monster stopped everyone.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2014, 10:25 Parallax Abstraction

I can't imagine many gaming experiences worse than trying to play BioShock with a touch screen. XCom, Civilization, OK those make sense. But BioShock? They've got to be kidding. Unless they plan to design it around the iOS controller support that has landed with a thud like many predicted it would.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Confirmed?
1. Re: PC No Man's Sky Confirmed? Aug 1, 2014, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

I believe Hello Games said a while ago that No Man's Sky is only console exclusive on PS4. Unless Sony's funding their development (and they aren't), there's no way they'd go exclusive with them.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gearbox Fights Aliens Lawsuit
7. Re: Gearbox Fights Aliens Lawsuit Jul 31, 2014, 21:00 Parallax Abstraction

This lawsuit is dumb but so is Gearbox (who was front and center at the fraud that was AC:M) trying to pass blame on to Sega. Is your name on the box? Are you getting royalties from sales? Then yeah, you have a share of the blame.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2014, 16:43 Parallax Abstraction

They are masters of marketing. They managed to turn one of their kids' sex tapes into an international empire based purely on marketing.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 31, 2014, 13:02 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:07:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:01:
Apparently all but two writers were let go, including some who have been there basically since the site started. Looks like they're making a major shift to video over there. Ouch.

Ouch. I was never a huge Gamespot fan, but I would still look up reviews to see how they compared to others. And it does seem like they've been around forever. Wiki says they were launched in 96, and it does seem like they were one of the earlier news sites I remember (Them and Yahoo seemed so much bigger back then).

Anyone remember Games Domain? That was my go-to games site for my first several years on the Internet (starting in 94.)

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2014, 13:00 Parallax Abstraction

Their margins made on the back of that vapid, exploitative garbage Kardashian game are gross indeed.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jul 31, 2014, 12:51 Parallax Abstraction

That's a friggin' terrible article but at the same time, the general sentiment is not entirely wrong. I backed VG:TM's Kickstarter and watched it the day it released and yeah, it's not very good at all. It excludes several prominent historical events and systems, thinks AAA games are all there are (giving a token 2 minutes to indies) and it all but completely ignores the role computer gaming played in the industry's growth. He acts like gaming basically died after the crash in the 80s until Nintendo saved it, completely ignoring that gaming on computers boomed during this time. It also has a very pandering segment in the middle, where it basically preaches to the choir on the subject of video game violence, continuing to wage a fight that was already won. It's a bad documentary, especially when you consider that two of the interview subjects were $10K backers, both of which had technologies to push and basically got an interview segment to just make a sales pitch.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 31, 2014, 09:01 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently all but two writers were let go, including some who have been there basically since the site started. Looks like they're making a major shift to video over there. Ouch.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo