Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3222 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
13. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 22:10 Parallax Abstraction

I'm sure Mr. Bowling will be thinking just that when he drives home in his high-end sports car to his massive house, both of which he got with the massive sales of Call of Duty (or maybe not since we have already seen how Kotick goes out of his way to actually pay people for making him millions). As others have said, if he truly cares about art rather than the money, he should go start an indie studio with no money. I frankly don't care if he and those at Infinity Ward are in it for the money. There's good money to be made and there's nothing wrong with that. But then to say you really don't care about the money and just want to make great art is incredibly pretentious.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced
25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Battles Were Outsourced Sep 20, 2011, 09:11 Parallax Abstraction

It's kind of funny because I've heard more than one podcast refer to the boss battles as "almost like they were done by an entirely different team". Didn't realise how true that was. It definitely explains a ton. I'm guessing Eidos Montreal won't be outsourcing to these guys again.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Cancelled Avengers Game Footage
12. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 17:28 Parallax Abstraction

Wildone wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 17:03:
I worked for THQ, they allowed a far inferior game than this to go thru to completion (then shut us down!) they have zero clue about what makes a good game, ZERO.

I really think THQ needs to get rid of Danny Bilson. Since he took over as VP of Core Games there, they turned down a deal with Respawn because they wouldn't give THQ the IP, turned Red Faction Guerrilla into a generic corridor shooter (then wondered why they didn't sell), released Homefront which was a great idea that turned into a joke of a product and spent who knows how much making these awful downloadable tie in titles like Red Faction Battlegrounds and Kill Team and inking a deal with SyFy for a Red Faction TV movie (something that I'm sure was inspired by Bilson's film & TV background). The one exception is Space Marine and from what I've heard, that game is a small shell of what it was supposed to be (a full on action RPG) and it only remained as good as it is because of the talent at Relic. THQ is backing the wrong horse with Bilson and if they want to turn themselves around before they run out of money (which won't be long at the rate they're burning capital), they need someone new running his division.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games
37. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 18, 2011, 13:42 Parallax Abstraction

PHJF wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 01:04:
I never realized how many filthy cannucks we had around here!
Pokestick

Shuddup ya' hoser. Don't make me get my hockey stick.

Parallax Abstraction

36. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 18, 2011, 13:42 Parallax Abstraction

Riker wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 10:07:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 00:58:
Maybe It's time to switch ISPs... a 95gb cap is too low.

Cable with TekSavvy offers 300gb. Check them out.

They also offer an unlimited tier for $10-$15 more a month.

Parallax Abstraction

12. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 17, 2011, 14:53 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 14:35:
I am thinking about switching to Teksavy a lot cheaper then Rogers. unfortunately I used my Rogers e-mail address to register to a lot of things that are pretty important and I am in the process currently to switch everything over to something like gmail or yahoo mail. That currently is my biggest obstacle to get over.

The only reason ISPs still offer e-mail service for free rather than removing it or charging a fee for it is so they can lock you to them. My girlfriend's parents used Bell and have hated the service for years but her Dad refused to go through the hassle of switching because everyone he knows is only aware of his @sympatico.ca address. I argued with him about that for months before he finally got fed up with outages they were having, e-mailed everyone he knew to say he was switching to GMail and dumped Bell for TekSavvy Cable. He's thanked me multiple times for pushing him on it because it's faster, way cheaper and doesn't go down every few hours. Plus when he calls tech support, he gets someone in Canada!

As big a hassle as switching e-mail is, as long as you do it to a public service like GMail, you only have to do it once. It also seems like a bigger hassle than it often is. If you e-mail your contact list a month or two before changing and make a list of everything you subscribe to (most services let you change the address of an existing subscription), it's not too bad. Some people will even downgrade their old ISP service to the lowest possible tier for a couple of months after switching to give more transition time but that's a bit extreme.

The only disadvantage of 3rd parties is there's higher initial setup costs because you have to buy the modem up front for usually around $100. In the end, you save money though as Rogers/Bell charge at least $5/month in perpetuity to rent their modem and most of the time, they're old modems which don't handle the modern error correction and congestion management methods the newer ones do. But when you buy a modem to sign up with a 3rd party, you own it and can take it to any other cable provider you want. Rogers will even let some modems the 3rd parties use back on their system if you push them about it.

The best thing Canadians can do right now to avoid the kind of nonsense being mentioned in this story (as well as other pressing issues like UBB) is stop giving these greedy big telcos your money and go to their leaner competitors who know how to provide good service. Rogers still makes money off of companies like TekSavvy but it's far less than they make if you subscribe to them directly.

Parallax Abstraction

4. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 17, 2011, 12:45 Parallax Abstraction

necrosis wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 12:25:
What amazes me is how fucking stupid their filtering system is. It would filter a connection if it went over XXXkb/sec (there was one report on this that said what it was but I forget). And apparently they guessed wrong. WoW would spike over that threshold and get throttled, well any game could do this.

The main reason they throttled WoW is because their patcher uses BitTorrent technology. Rogers could have tweaked the filters to prevent WoW from being detected as such, they were just too lazy/incompetent to do it. If you also had a torrent running in the background while playing certain games, your entire connection would get throttled (even though they are only supposed to throttle the torrent traffic specifically) and thus, game performance would suffer. Neither Rogers nor Bell have implemented their throttling technology properly and it's caused huge problems across the board. But they're too lazy to fix it and since ex-executives of these companies largely make up the CRTC board, the commission hasn't been pushing them hard enough to come up with a solution. Rogers should have been ordered to fix this within a couple of weeks of it starting but it's been months if not over a year now. In reality, they shouldn't be throttling at all. Their claims of network congestion have been proven to be outright lies time and time again and the only reason they're doing this is to try to prevent people from getting TV online instead of paying for their overpriced cable services.

Parallax Abstraction

3. Re: Rogers Ordered to Stop Throttling WoW and Other Games Sep 17, 2011, 12:42 Parallax Abstraction

Rogers will continue to delay this as long as possible. The big telcos in this country all but outright control the CRTC, this is far from fixed. If you're in Toronto, Ottawa or select other cities, there are now third party cable options available (I use TekSavvy and am extremely pleased but there are others too) that are usually cheaper, have better customer support (not that it's hard to provide better support than Rogers) and they are exempt from all throttling and set their own caps. This might change soon if Canadians don't keep fighting the issue but at least for now, they're the better option. There are alternatives to big telco in this country and anyone who doesn't switch but still complains about this is part of the problem.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > EA to Close Visceral's Melbourne Studio?
3. Re: EA to Close Visceral's Melbourne Studio? Sep 17, 2011, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 08:09:
Is there another Visceral studio? I thought the dead space franchise was doing well?

The main Visceral studio is in Redwood Shores, California and that's still going I think. I was surprised to hear that had a studio in Australia.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House to Use Paypal
5. Re: Diablo III Auction House to Use Paypal Sep 14, 2011, 23:06 Parallax Abstraction

PayPal? Cripes, it's almost like they're trying to drive people away from liking RMT.

"What's the best way to promote this initiative? Why to partner with a company with one of the worst customer service track records anywhere and who has a history of shutting customers out of their money of course!"

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Cities In Motion Expansion, Patch, and New Demo Released
1. Re: Cities In Motion Expansion, Patch, and New Demo Released Sep 14, 2011, 21:11 Parallax Abstraction

Is this the patch that makes the tutorial make any kind of sense? I really want to try and like this game but I've never managed to get past the tutorial portion where you have to run an underground subway. It gives you the directive to run a subway between two places but not really tell you how to do it and no matter how many times I try, it won't complete.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 16:27 Parallax Abstraction

I'm glad to see I can just start this from the menu and they don't require that it be integrated into the main game. I'm guessing this will probably be $10 and if it's at least a few hours, I'm cool with that if the storytelling and characterization are still good.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GameStop's Tablet Plans
14. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 18:41 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 17:43:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:56:
I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it.

Sorry, but IMO, Android is far worse: you have *zero* ability to move purchases between Tablet A and phone B, as the purchase is tethered to the device, not the account.*

In that respect, Apple is already superior. The majority of my investment will be in the software and music, not the hardware. Let me move it as I see fit to upgrade.

^D^

* Unless, of course, this has changed since last year when was considering an Android tablet.

Wow, if you're serious about that, I agree that's a massive shortcoming on Android's part. That's the same problem Wii and DS owners have right now and given Android's open nature, if anything I expected it to be the opposite. For all the things I do hate about Apple, I will give credit where credit's due in that allowing things to move based on the account is much more user friendly. Even if you buy stuff on the Android Marketplace, it doesn't track it by account?

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested
5. Re: Serious Sam Double D Demo Coming, Donations Requested Sep 13, 2011, 15:08 Parallax Abstraction

With places like Giant Bomb, it's very easy to tell what many games are going to be like, even without a demo. I actually think this looks cool, I just don't have time for it and think it's a bit expensive. I'll wait until it's on sale and play it then.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GameStop's Tablet Plans
11. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 10:56 Parallax Abstraction

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:38:
People don't give a crap about tablets. They just want iPads.

Many do but it's estimated Apple's tablet market share will be 60% by 2013. It may be by the end of 2013, not sure but I read this yesterday. The iPad will be the dominant force in tablets but other manufacturers are gaining ground fast. Which is good, I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it. Hopefully viable alternatives for those of us who like to use our products the way we want will surface.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content "Very Soon"
11. Re: Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content "Very Soon" Sep 9, 2011, 22:17 Parallax Abstraction

Seeing as how if I recall, they just "converted" every EA.com account to an Origin account (including the majority of them that never had purchases) made, I will also call bullshit on the accuracy of this. And yeah, like others said, even if the number is true, they've just barely eclipsed the number of CONCURRENT users Steam has on during peak times. It's not that impressive in the end.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > NPD: August Sales Down 23%
2. Re: NPD: August Sales Down 23% Sep 8, 2011, 21:42 Parallax Abstraction

Not that NPD numbers have any real relevance anymore but I am very happy to hear that Deus Ex Human Revolution is doing so great. It's about time a really worthy game that's basically a new IP to many people sells well. I'd love to see a platform breakdown too. I bet PC doesn't have the largest sales numbers but I bet because of the higher digital margins, Square Enix is making the most money there.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Online Pass Sep 8, 2011, 10:43 Parallax Abstraction

I love how he says "probably 10-15 million". 5 million dollars is a pretty huge gap. So either he's pulling that number out of his backside or their accounting is really terrible. I also love this choice quote:

"Brown pointed out that the above figure is "found revenue" that comes from users who previously "consumed bandwidth for free"."

You mean the bandwidth that has a near zero cost now? Or the fact that many of these people PAY for Xbox Live and that it was EA's CHOICE AND INSISTENCE to host their own servers instead of using Microsoft's? Or the fact that most of your major franchises were profitable before you implemented Online Pass? Cry me a river.

Maybe EA should be spend less resources on this and more on perhaps actually marketing the litany of awesome EA Partner's titles in the last year that bombed and cost them a fortune because they didn't bother to tell anyone they existed.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month
31. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:18 Parallax Abstraction

A Game of A Game of Thrones?

Can't believe I'm the first person to make that joke.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Avalanche Layoffs
5. Re: Avalanche Layoffs Sep 7, 2011, 14:46 Parallax Abstraction

Razorclaw wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 14:34:
Quboid wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 11:44:
That's what you get for not liking DRM!
- Ubisoft (in my imagination)

different avalanche, I think

It is. Avalanche SOFTWARE is the Disney studio based in Salt Lake City that had these layoffs. Avalanche STUDIOS is the Swedish company that made the Just Cause series and hates DRM.

Parallax Abstraction

3222 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo