Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3158 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Bondi in Administration
1. Re: Team Bondi in Administration Sep 1, 2011, 10:07 Parallax Abstraction

Sad to see the hard working staff at Team Bondi out of work but Brendan McNamara definitely has this coming. Here's hoping no one gives that scumbag money again, at least not until he learned to be a person.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LIMBO Developer Buys Itself
13. Re: LIMBO Developer Buys Itself Aug 31, 2011, 20:00 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 19:20:
How do you know? Are any of you privy to the actual terms of the deal? It's not like the banks would touch them, and even if they did it would be assuredly worse. I was 21 when I opened my first restaurant and I could have never done so without investors. It was a success they were well compensated as they deserved to be because otherwise it would have never happened. Unless you've ever been in business for yourself, and I mean a real business that requires real capital that most people can't afford themselves than you have no idea what you're talking about.

Pro tip: If they bought themselves back, it means their investors got paid. And they likely made a tidy profit on it. As they deserved to if they gave them the money when they needed it.

But whatever, being a childish douchebag is your schtick on here.

Parallax Abstraction

3. Re: LIMBO Developer Buys Itself Aug 31, 2011, 11:19 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 11:13:
Buying yourself back offers more financial independence? Actually it costs your money, so it reduces your financial independence... just saying... now you are 100% dependent on your next game not tanking

I think they mean financial independence in that they now are entirely in control of how money is spend. And creative independence is more what they wanted I think. If their investors weren't trying to meddle in their creativity, they probably wouldn't have tried to buy themselves out. They've already demonstrated they know how to make games people want to buy and play and I'd wager their next project would be worse with investors at the helm who largely know nothing about creativity.

Parallax Abstraction

1. Re: LIMBO Developer Buys Itself Aug 31, 2011, 10:54 Parallax Abstraction

Good for them! It's such a rare thing now when a company gets a chance to kick greedy investors to the curb. Very glad their success has put them back in charge of their own fate.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Steve Jobs Was 'Henry Ford' of The Computer Industry. Aug 26, 2011, 10:37 Parallax Abstraction

Thing is, Steve Jobs didn't invent the Apple I. Wozniak did that and ended up marginalised and pushed out of Apple. Jobs sold the stuff and he was very good at that and he's come up with ideas that have turned into the rest of the Apple thing but he didn't build, design or engineer anything. That's one of the things about Jobs' cult of personality that I really hate. He comes up with the concepts but there are thousands of employees at Apple who actually design and build the stuff he thinks of and makes them work. Yet, they never get any credit and many people and especially the press treat Jobs like he's still in a garage hand-building every iPhone and iPad. Regardless of how well the Model T was designed, Henry Ford actually designed and built it which makes the comparison with Jobs a false one.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steve Jobs Resigns
53. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 09:09 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 01:58:
Look, the iPad, iPhone, Hell, any smartphone, aren't made for people like the majority here that tinker. It's not made for us. We're PC gamers. we like being able to mess with things. But the i-line? They are consumer items, not hacker/hobbyist tools, and as such, are developed with the appropriate UI complexity in mind. Like Toasters. Blu-ray players, xboxes, whatever. Made to be as intuitive as possible. That's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. They specialize in accessible technology, not the latest and most powerful. And it works. Both for their shareholders and their customers...there's no denying Apple is succeeding in the face of an abundantly shitty economy, and I'm totally ok with it being an American company with a huge campus in California succeeding, rather than some shoddy sweatshop making beige boxes in Malaysia.

Apple did copy/steal a lot of stuff in the early days but I agree with you that it's silly to say everything they're releasing now is just a copy of someone else's work. The only comment I wanted to address is your shoddy sweatshop one because that's definitely not something Apple is above. Their #1 manufacturing partner is Foxconn, a company with a long-reaching horrendous reputation for abusing and exploiting workers. They recently had a rash of suicides at the factory that makes the iPad because people were being forced to work 20 hour days with no overtime, being verbally and physically abused and like many Chinese factories, the majority of the little money they did make went into paying for the factory provided quarters which make slums here look like the Ritz Carlton. Their solution? Install nets so that people who attempted suicide wouldn't succeed. A lot of companies use Foxconn so Apple isn't alone on that front but Apple has the power to improve conditions for the people who build their stuff and frankly, doesn't care.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution
14. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:24 Parallax Abstraction

Valcor wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:13:
"This business will get out of control..."

"...it'll get out of control and we'll by lucky to live through it."

Such a good movie.

Parallax Abstraction

20. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:39 Parallax Abstraction

DangerDog wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:36:
Sucks to have all that money and to be dieing at such a young age, especially when they're so close to being able to replace defective body parts like you're switching out tires on a car.

It's funny that Apple worried about Microsoft taking them out and it looks like Google will end up finishing off both of them.

Apple recently became the largest company in the world by market cap, bigger than Exxon and much bigger than Google and Microsoft. Apple couldn't buy Google but Google is not a threat to their current business. Android is outselling the iPhone but if Google doesn't get some of its issues ironed out soon, it could easily falter and in tablets, there's simply no real competition to the iPad right now.

Parallax Abstraction

19. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:38 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:35:
I've had the pleasure of meeting Tim Cook, and he's a fantastic guy.
But he isn't what Apple needs in a leader. Apple needs a visionary. It needs someone to come up with brilliant strategy.

Tim is a guy you have execute brilliant strategy. Remember Mark Hurd? Mark was great at execution, but terrible at strategy. As such he ran HP into the ground (after being a golden boy for executing the previous CEOs strategy.)
Tim is far less arrogant and far more aware of his limitations, but he's still limited in vision and strategy. He's one of the best #2s in the business, but I'm not convinced he's a #1. At least not for Apple.

Do you think he's going to stay the CEO or just be there on an interim basis until they find someone else? Jobs' resignation letter says appointing him is part of a "plan" but that's not specific Cook's permanence as CEO.

Parallax Abstraction

15. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:32 Parallax Abstraction

The USPTO is the reason patent trolls (in the sense of the ones who produce nothing and only sue people) exist. They clearly don't know what they're doing and tons of articles from very smart people who don't have anything to gain from the current system agree. Many of the software, UI etc. patents they grant get granted because they don't understand them or their implications because the USPTO is largely staffed by people who don't understand modern technology.

As I said, the bigger culprit here is the broken system and I did not infer that anything Apple has been doing with patents is illegal. Anti-competitive, I believe so yes. The iPad is selling because millions think it's a well made device, not because of anything they patented. They're trying to stomp out the Samsung Galaxy Tab using patents but the Galaxy Tab didn't amount to a rounding error in sales compared to the iPad. You compete by making a better product, not by litigating your competitors until you bankrupt them or get their products banned. The patent system was not designed for that.

Parallax Abstraction

11. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:18 Parallax Abstraction

DrEvil wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:14:
Apple does not patent troll. Patent trolling is always associated with someone that doesn't actually produce product or innovate.

You may think they haven't innovated, but they at least do actually produce product, therefore you can be angry at them for actually trying to use their patents, but calling them a troll is inaccurate at best.

Apple both produces products and innovates in the market space.

They do not even remotely fit the definition of troll.

They have every right to be angry with competitors that have copied design, form, and function of their products instead of trying to do something new.

They may not be a troll in the sense you describe I agree. But they have applied for and gotten incredibly wide ranging patents on very low level concepts that nobody should have had issued. I will say straight away that that is more of a sign of the incredibly broken and easy gamed US patent system but Apple's happily playing that game. Many of the patents they are suing over should never have been granted to anyone and if say, Samsung was abusing those to go after someone else, I would fault them just as much for it. Apple makes products with those patents yes, it doesn't mean they should be entitled to them all.

Anyway, I won't derail this any further.

Parallax Abstraction

10. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:15 Parallax Abstraction

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:12:
I'm glad to see people aren't dropping the usual "He deserves to die!" comments you'd expect on here.

Whether you like or loathe his company's products, he's still human, and watching your life drain away from you is a horrible thing.

+1. I do not at all approve of the ways he does business. From overpricing his products, patent trolling, severely curtailing what paying customers can do with their own products to creating a cult of personality that makes people thinks Apple products are infallible when in fact, they're some of the most fragile available. But I would never wish real world harm on a person for those things. I hope he manages to make a recovery or at the very least, spends the rest of his life in happiness.

Parallax Abstraction

5. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:04 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:03:
Godspeed, Steve. You're a better man than your critics give you credit for.

^D^

Tell that to Google who just bought Motorola Mobility for $12.5B, largely to help fend off patent trolling by Apple.

Parallax Abstraction

2. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 24, 2011, 20:02 Parallax Abstraction

Not really. He's been on medical leave since January.

I have no love for the man or how he does business but I hope this isn't due to severe deterioration of his health. I do not envy Tim Cook at all. I've always thought that the insane cult of personality around Steve Jobs greatly diminishes and reduces the contributions of all the other Apple employees, the ones who take his low level ideas and actually design and manufacture the products that makes them so much money. No matter how Tim Cook drives the company forward, no matter how many more hit products come out under his watch and no matter how much value he created for Apple shareholders, everyone will always say he's inferior to Jobs. The success and fortunes of what is now the world's largest company should never be so closely tied to one person.

All that said, I don't expect to hear an iota of any other kind of real news in the tech press for a couple of weeks which is a huge sign of what I just talked about.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Full Metro: Last Light E3 Trailer
3. Re: Full Metro: Last Light E3 Trailer Aug 23, 2011, 14:51 Parallax Abstraction

I rented Metro 2033 for 360 last year because my PC at the time couldn't hope to run it in any detail. Loved it and just picked it up again on PC now that I have a shiny new rig. Can't wait to play it again and more importantly, to play this the way it was meant to be. The gameplay has some flaws but the atmosphere is top notch.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 21, 2011, 19:41 Parallax Abstraction

Congratulations From Dust buyers, you're all the reason Ubisoft thinks their DRM works and why they don't need to bother putting more effort into PC ports.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > EA Revival Possibilities
10. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 12:25 Parallax Abstraction

Iurand wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 11:54:
HOW ABOUT YOU MAKE A NEW ULTIMA, YOU FUCK.

They've made a new Origin, though.

Oh NO you di'int!

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support
15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 13:53 Parallax Abstraction

I'll rent this on 360, blow through the campaign in an afternoon, play about an hour of the multiplayer, realise it's still not very good, full of cheaters and nade spammers and send it back.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Dishonored Interviews
2. Re: Dishonored Interviews Aug 17, 2011, 00:04 Parallax Abstraction

Is it Darkest of Days you're thinking of perhaps?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans
1. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 Parallax Abstraction

Talk is cheap Mr. Capps. Epic has said a lot about the PC before that they haven't followed through on. Back up what you say and I'll start to take it more seriously.  
Parallax Abstraction

3158 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo