Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 10:33 Parallax Abstraction

Yakubs wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:13:
Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:06:
How about just maybe the game really does kick ass and you just canít accept it for what it is. A great game and a great closer on the trilogy. Hmmm!

BioWare hasn't made an overall great game since BG2. And, no, I do not define cutscenes and NPC romance as a "game."

You're opinion. Guess what? Not everyone thinks like you.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Feb 29, 2012, 20:33 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:51:
Yea for Gary!

Hope it's better than Book of Eli. That movie was painful.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
37. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 14:01 Parallax Abstraction

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 09:37:
This is one of those games that I was originally excited about, but the more I learned about it the less interested I became. I'm at the point now where I feel like I probably won't bother with this.

This. I finally got a beta invite and after a few hours, my reaction is "This took a decade to make?" Looks dated and doesn't feel like there's any gameplay innovation whatsoever. This also isn't anything like an MMO and I'm now more convinced than ever that their always-on requirement is just straight DRM. There is no reason whatsoever that this couldn't still have a single player mode.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Downtime [Updated]
23. Re: Steam Downtime Feb 12, 2012, 20:32 Parallax Abstraction

Pigeon wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 18:02:
Out of curiosity did this effect anyone's ability to play single-player games/modes? I wonder because something like this is certainly a validity check on the fears people have concerning steam and single-player game access. I'd have checked my own steam games, but it seems service was restored before I saw this notice.

I tried to play The Darkness II for the first time today during the downtime and the game refused to run saying it couldn't contact the "key server". Turns out all it retrieves from that key server is the pre-order Comixology bonus code, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the game and is not at all necessary for it to run. Once you've got that key, the game will run without problems but yeah, I couldn't access a single player game I paid for today due to their outage, all to get a key for something I couldn't care less about. Ultimately not a big deal but still, was not impressed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Reveal This Year
17. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Reveal This Year Feb 10, 2012, 14:03 Parallax Abstraction

LittleMe wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:27:
btw wtf is Just Cause 3?

I'm pretty sure someone from Avalanche recently said there will be a Just Cause 3. If so, I can't bloody wait.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Double Fine Crowdsourcing
31. Re: Double Fine Crowdsourcing Feb 9, 2012, 18:42 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 16:51:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 13:04:
Verno wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 11:26:
I think everyone reasonable can agree the traditional publishing model is now reaching the point of absurdity when a company can somehow manage to sell a million copies of a title and not make a profit.
Just look at EA. A revenue of billions of dollars a year, no profit at all for years.

On paper. No profit at all on paper.

Trust me that that company's making plenty of money, but the wonderful IRS lets them deduct everything as an expense so ostensibly they wind up in the red and owe no taxes.

Creston

If they were actually banking profits, there stock wouldn't be going down. And the stock price is what keeps CEOs employed. Look at THQ, I highly doubt their CEO taking a paycut and their stock being threatened with delisting is just them hiding profits. If your company is actually making money and you're hiding that from investors, that's illegal.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront III Outed?
16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Outed? Feb 8, 2012, 09:25 Parallax Abstraction

Spark Unlimited's development history is...well there's no other way to say it, it's bad. I don't know how this studio has managed to survive so long given the garbage they've been churning out but yeah, not much hope for this title with them helming it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Jaffe & More Out at Eat Sleep Play
1. Re: Jaffe & More Out at Eat Sleep Play Feb 7, 2012, 10:16 Parallax Abstraction

*sigh* Another AAA developer who doesn't like how hit driven that industry has become going into mobile games which...is completely hit driven and the chances for guaranteed success are pretty much just as poor now.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Receives Stock Delisting Warning
7. Re: THQ Receives Stock Delisting Warning Jan 31, 2012, 18:03 Parallax Abstraction

The first thing they need to do is get rid of Brian Farrell. His inept leadership over many years before now is a big reason they're where they are. Yet their shareholders don't seem to care about that for some reason. If he stays in charge, their fate is certain,  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Rovio Positive About Piracy
6. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 14:17 Parallax Abstraction

I'm guessing his opinion will change when none of Rovio's future games have the flash in the pain success of their mediocre ripoff that is Angry Birds.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Layoffs
2. Re: THQ Layoffs Jan 27, 2012, 23:19 Parallax Abstraction

If Brian Farrell wasn't part of those laid off, nothing has been fixed yet.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > PC Rayman Origins in March
13. Re: PC Rayman Origins in March Jan 27, 2012, 09:02 Parallax Abstraction

Assuming there's no stupid DRM, everyone who complains about how there's no creativity in games anymore needs to buy and support this. I bought it for $60 at launch on the 360 and I couldn't be happier with how much I spent. It's long, challenging and an artistic and musical masterpiece. It's one of the best platformers ever made. It also bombed on consoles. I imagine it didn't have a huge team and doesn't need to move millions to make money. Games like this need to start succeeding.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2012, 16:20 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 15:50:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 11:20:
No way they'd launch the iPhone 5 that early.

Actually some folks at Verizon were telling our employees that take care of the phones that the iPhone 5's may come out in Spring... LTE support and all (along with the iPad 3's).

/shrug

We'll see... but LTE (and a person being in an area with LTE) would be about the only reason to upgrade.

I would be stunned to see them do this but with Jobs no longer helming things, who knows. I've heard the biggest problem with LTE right now is all the current chipsets are huge battery hogs. I wonder how Apple will solve this. It would just really surprise me because with the 4S being by far the best-selling iPhone yet, why would they want to cannibalise that by releasing another model before sales of that one slow down? It wouldn't surprise me if they're planning to launch a new Verizon specific iPhone 4S with LTE support but I doubt it will be the iPhone 5.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Square Enix on GOG.com
6. Re: Square Enix on GOG.com Jan 26, 2012, 16:19 Parallax Abstraction

killer_roach wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 15:50:
panbient wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:02:
Anachronox please.

A thousand times this.

Also the first two Thief games.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2012, 11:20 Parallax Abstraction

No way they'd launch the iPhone 5 that early. The 4S is selling too well and Apple would burn a lot of customer good will (I think even fanboys would have a hard time not getting mad about that and casual customers definitely would) by releasing an update that fast.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2012, 11:31.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Margaritaville Online Launches
4. Re: Margaritaville Online Launches Jan 25, 2012, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

If you don't search for your lost shaker of salt at some point, this game fails utterly.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 25, 2012, 16:16 Parallax Abstraction

Red wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 09:44:
Zynga's game may be a straight rip of Tiny Tower, but Tiny Tower was heavily inspired by the old PC game SimTower...

Very true but don't forget, everything that comes out on iOS is original and has never been done before ever. At least that's what I understand from reading sites that heavily cover iOS gaming.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Darkness II Demo
10. Re: Darkness II Demo Jan 24, 2012, 18:09 Parallax Abstraction

Drezden wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 16:26:
If I can't play the first one why would I want to play the second one?

I too find it weird that they didn't bother to put out a PC version of the first one before releasing the second one but as someone who finished the first game and the demo on 360, I can say you'd probably be fine starting with the second one. There are flashback sequences and frankly, the story is pretty simplistic, even for a comic book narrative.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 23, 2012, 09:56 Parallax Abstraction

Julio wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 05:55:
Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 00:52:
If it's between us and them I choose us.

I completely agree. Buying Apple products is supporting slavery. There's a reason why they have to put nets up to stop the workers from committing suicide.

The whole "its outsourced so Apple doesn't have anything to do with it" is completely a lie.

Thing is, while I kind of agree with your sentiment, this isn't exclusively an Apple problem. They weren't the first company to exploit Chinese working conditions and they certainly aren't the only one. Honestly, if you want to avoid giving money to slavedrivers like Foxconn, you had best stop buying technology entirely because almost all tech is built in China and most of it by people will less than stellar reputations. I posed that Apple are the ones best equipped to fight for real change but this is a systemic problem across all technology. People want to pay $400 for a laptop that by all rights should cost at least twice that much. The sad part is that given the choice of supporting fair labour or paying more, most consumers will choose the cheaper option because as long as they don't know those who are being affected, they can rationalise it to themselves.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 23, 2012, 08:44 Parallax Abstraction

Ant wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 23:33:
Narf2029 wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 17:17:
I never got the fuss since I only use the digital service. I do wish they had more to offer digitally though.
I wished they didn't have subscription. They should offer on demand payments. I rarely watch movies, TV series, etc. online.

If you live in the US (or can use a DNS spoofing service), try Vudu. They are on demand, have a huge catalogue including many new releases and you can get near Blu-ray quality titles for $5-$6 a rental that stream flawlessly. I've been using them for new stuff and Netflix for TV and older stuff and the combination's been fantastic. No one talks about Vudu for some reason but it's a great service.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo