Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3232 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 11, 2011, 12:06 Parallax Abstraction

The THQ executives have been trying a bunch of new stuff the last couple of years but almost none of it has worked out. If they want to have a pray of saving themselves, especially when costs go up more in the next console generation, I think Farrell, Bilson et al. need to be replaced. They're clearly not up to maintaining consistent growth.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NPD: November Sales Up
3. Re: NPD: November Sales Up Dec 10, 2011, 10:00 Parallax Abstraction

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 23:41:
So Pachter was out by 12 percentage points (or 330%) in his prediction? It's annoying that he is quoted as an "expert". And I assume, as usual, that these figures don't even account for digital distribution?

NPD is a useless metric in the digital distribution era and Pachter, well he's just useless. Most "experts" quotes in the media are BS and Pachter's found a way to take his analyst day job (which is just professional BSing anyway) and extend it into a lucrative side career getting quoted by the lazy gaming press.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Unrated Postal III by Christmas
11. Re: Unrated Postal III by Christmas Dec 9, 2011, 13:54 Parallax Abstraction

You're kidding right? Postal 2 wasn't different, it was a horrible shooter layered on top of worse humour. It was Bulletstorm, only even more low brow and with worse mechanics. There's nothing different about this. I'm all for them making the games they want to make, that doesn't make them good games.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Unrated Postal III by Christmas
7. Re: Unrated Postal III by Christmas Dec 9, 2011, 12:13 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 11:03:
Have no idea how these guys stay in business...

I swear they must have some kind of Breaking Bad situation going. They've released 2 games in like 15 years, both of which were critical and sales bombs, yet they've continued to stay in business. If they weather the almost guaranteed bomb that Postal III is, I will be amazed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 12:41 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 11:51:
To be fair, Skyrim has been the best release they've ever done for me. I had a total of 3 crashes in 100 hours of gameplay, and ever since I started using LAA, it's been rock solid.

Not saying other people don't have issues, because I've been in their shoes myself (Oblivion crashed for me on three completely different hardware builds, and Fallout on two different ones) but Skyrim is fantastic.

It's such a relief to finally be able to play for hours and hours on end without randomly crashing back to the desktop.

Creston

From a bug perspective, it is definitely better than many other releases and I did touch on that in the post. The big "scandal" this time seems to be a combination of the PS3 problem which seems to be endemic to the ancient engine they keep insisting on using and that the latest patch at least added as many problems as it fixed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 11:01 Parallax Abstraction

Bludd wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 10:53:
Nobody believes the Creation Engine is but a Gamebryo 1.2. If it isn't the same engine (updated), then Bethesda have gone to great lengths to mimic and emulate the peculiarities and horriblenessities of Gamebryo in their brand new shiny Creation Engine.

It is 100% an updated Gamebryo. It uses the same ESM file structure, same setup utility on PC and has all the same quirks with swapping out and whatnot that the Gamebryo titles did. That's why there were Skyrim mods coming out within hours, everyone knew the tech already. The makers of Gamebryo went under a while back and while the engine was picked up by a Chinese company that still makes it, Bethesda likely got ownership of the version they were using when Emergent went under and just rebadged it. That they kept referring to it as "all-new" is a damned lie. Obsidian has a bad technical track records but Bethesda's is worse and is this as much on them as anyone else.

I wrote a lengthy post on my blog yesterday about this and how Bethesda's track record for broken releases dating back to the 1990s demonstrates a fundamental lack of respect for their customers that seems to be bred into that company's culture now. They continue to use dated tech and push out broken games because they can.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 6, 2011, 11:34 Parallax Abstraction

While I agree the PS Vita memory pricing is insane and a stupid move on Sony's part, I find it hilarious that many of those in the gaming and tech press who are up in arms about this happily pay $100 to add 16GB of memory to their iOS devices. At least the Sony cards will eventually get cheaper third party versions but iOS device memory is not upgradeable or replaceable but apparently paying insanely high markup on that is just fine. The layer of Apple double-standards is thick on that.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today
9. Re: No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today Dec 6, 2011, 11:10 Parallax Abstraction

InBlack wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:49:
Suck it up EA's bitches! Yeah!

(now back to Skyrim)

Yeah, cause Bethesda hasn't repeatedly spit in the faces of their customers either.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 5, 2011, 11:33 Parallax Abstraction

Gee Bethesda, maybe if you guys weren't still using an engine from 2006 (even though you were lying to everyone by calling it an "all-new engine"), you wouldn't have so many of these problems. It's not like you didn't know what limitations the PS3 hardware had. If you're not skilled enough to make your engine work with it, use another engine or don't release on PS3. You're charging PS3 users the same amount as other platforms, they have every right to expect a fully functional product.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
44. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:01 Parallax Abstraction

It still amazes me that even though they're now working with an almost 6 year old engine (this game is still 100% based on GameBryo despite Todd Howard's blatant lie that this was an "all-new engine"), they still make fundamental stupid mistakes like this with patches. Every new Bethesda title is structured like it's the first time they're working with this tech.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 18:46 Parallax Abstraction

So is this a patch that will go out to the Steam version as well?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > On CD Projekt RED's "AAA+" Projekts
5. Re: On CD Projekt RED's Nov 24, 2011, 18:11 Parallax Abstraction

TurdFergasun wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 15:55:
CD projekt aaa+, super fast shipping, well packaged, would do business again!

That made me laugh out loud. Well done sir.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > 1M CoD Elite Premium Subscribers
4. Re: 1M CoD Elite Premium Subscribers Nov 22, 2011, 12:11 Parallax Abstraction

And my up to now unknown, super secret depopulation list goes up by seven figures.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
47. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 07:34 Parallax Abstraction

Basically what InBlack said. Maybe if Bethesda wasn't still using an engine from over 6 years ago that isn't even in its latest version and is not development anymore because its creators went bankrupt, they wouldn't be having problems like the LAA need many have. I think it was incredibly dishonest of Todd Howard to claim this was an "all-new engine" simply because with Emergent gone, they were able to take their version of it and rebrand it. I guess to him, changing the name makes something "all-new". That's like if Activision changed the name of the engine Call of Duty runs on to "CoD Engine" to hide the fact that the gseries still run a variant of Quake 3 tech underneath.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Splash Damage's Next Game "One of the Biggest American Pop Culture Brands"
25. Re: Splash Damage's Next Game Nov 17, 2011, 16:10 Parallax Abstraction

LittleMe wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:11:
Dirwulf wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:05:
Star Trek

Yeah that's my guess too.

Very well could be since I believe Bethesda has the Star Trek license right now. Though if you've seen the last couple of games for it they released...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 15, 2011, 14:19 Parallax Abstraction

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 11:07:
If Microsoft waits too long for the next console, noone will buy it. I expect by 2013 for the ipad like devices to take over the console market.

Not going to happen for a long time if ever.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Skyrim Versus ThreatFire
7. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 18:17 Parallax Abstraction

Good catch. I've worked with almost every anti-virus there is in my career and I've never heard of ThreatFire. Is this popular?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 13, 2011, 10:25 Parallax Abstraction

My current e-mail address has been active since 2002 and about 95% of the e-mail that is sent to it is spam. It's usually between 50 and 60 a day. Thankfully, I use a really good spam filtering service (SpamHero) that does a phenomenal job at keeping it out. I get maybe one or two spam messages in my actual inbox a month and no false positives. However, the spam count I used to get a few years ago was sometimes in the 100-200 per day range so the amount of it going out has definitely decreased.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GOG.com: "Your customers hate DRM"
7. Re: GOG.com: Nov 11, 2011, 12:11 Parallax Abstraction

Kajetan wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 10:39:
Some of them may hate DRM, yes.

Some other customers aka emotional addicts will do whatever you say. You can rape them and they still thank you for your kindness, when you give them an old rag that they can clean themselves up. THATS the people you should cherish as your customers.

Apple cherishes those kinds of people every day.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
4. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 10:31 Parallax Abstraction

For reals!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3232 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo