Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3240 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2012, 19:52 Parallax Abstraction

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that some of the PC business is being cannibalised by smartphones and tablets. I think the trend is much less than the press is reporting however. While they may not have been in an open recession last year, there is a huge looming debt crisis there that's been brewing for the better part of a year and a lot of consumer spending has slowed in light of that. They still haven't figured out how to resolve that crisis yet and if someone of these Eurozone countries start to default on their debts, it will be less a recession than a collapse for many parts of Europe. I shouldn't have said a massive recession is already underway, that was a mistake on my part. But consumer spending has slowed significantly there on things that aren't always necessary, like PC upgrades for example.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2012, 18:08 Parallax Abstraction

I love how that article tries to surmise how this drop is showing the death of the PC and that tablets are taking over, even though it also touches on how this report is about a drop in an area that's currently in a massive recession. The causes of the drops are obvious, yet to draw clicks, they have to frame it as something else winning. Between this kind of shoddy reporting and the unabashed Apple fanboyism throughout the tech press, they've pretty much demonstrated themselves as untrustworthy now.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near
18. Re: Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 10:42:
Everyone has FPS problems in some cities, Markarth for example. Whether you notice them or not is a different story but throw up an FPS toggle next time you're there or Solitude and you'll be surprised at the numbers. It doesn't make the game unplayable or anything and things like SkyBoost help out a great deal so *shrug*.

So does SkyBoost actually work well? I was leery about installing it because it has a poor description on Skyrim Nexus and he directs people to his web site for the latest version rather than hosting it there which is often not a good sign. I've started to get the major FPS dips in cities too, despite not having the problem before. If it makes a decent different though, I'll try it out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
151. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 20, 2012, 00:07 Parallax Abstraction

Ahhh, now this is the Blue's News of old that I remember.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block?
5. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 13:00 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:42:
Save Volition! I demand SR4!!!!!!!

SR3 apparently sold crazy well so if THQ fails, someone will buy them and Volition I'm sure. I really do hope they manage to get more funding though. The AAA industry needs more competition, not more consolidation.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
2. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 13, 2012, 21:53 Parallax Abstraction

A few years back, Codemasters was sold to a private equity firm. Crap this like is par for the course for them. Given how bad most non-racing Codemasters games have been since that acquisition, I could believe this is true.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD 2011 Sales Estimates
8. Re: NPD 2011 Sales Estimates Jan 13, 2012, 20:23 Parallax Abstraction

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 17:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 14:02:
Actually it says physical sales went down 8% - which is to be expected given that everything transitions to digital where NPD has no numbers.

That's the real issue here.. NPD is no longer relevant. Even consoles have so many digital transactions now that they simply don't tell the whole story.

This. Basing any discussion on NPD numbers is pointless because they don't have the means to cover the biggest growth areas of the industry. They are becoming less and less relevant with each new report they release. The packaged goods side of the games industry is in decline, anyone who follows it in the slightest knows that. The AAA industry is in a tough transition period right now, especially with everyone trying to grab a piece of the mobile (i.e. Apple) fashion trend that has yet to plateau and will soon. There's no doubt this is a tough time to be making big budget games. But a crash? A big adjustment is coming yes but that's not the same thing. Also, that article about console failures? A bunch of analysts (who people on this site generally agree are full of shit and just looking to be quoted at the best of times) and people heavily invested in streaming game services claiming that their systems are the future, even when they're as yet totally unproven? Please, that's evidence of exactly nothing.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 12, 2012, 08:03 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 22:19:
They should both bow out and reinvest their money more wisely.

Given that consoles have been cash cows for both of them and in Sony's case, is one of the only aspects of their company that's made money lately, I don't see that happening.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: SOPA Isnít the Solution, But Can We At Least Agree Thereís A Problem Jan 11, 2012, 19:49 Parallax Abstraction

Kajetan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 09:50:
No. Because there is no actual problem. Only a percieved problem.

"If they do nothing, they are essentially ceding a good portion of their sales to pirates who have no intention of ever paying them a dime."

There is no proof that DRM increases sales, there is no proof that the lack of DRM decreases sales. For DECADES, since the early days of tapes and video cassettes the fear of loosing sales is based on assumptions, not actual, proven facts.

Cripes, lot of TechDirt readers here. While there is no proof that DRM increases sales, there is lots of proof of entitled douchebags who expect to be able to get whatever they want for free (so long as they don't have to look the person they're ripping off in the face of course) are stealing plenty of stuff they have no right to be playing. It is ridiculous to claim that no one who pirates a game wouldn't buy it if that was their only choice. This isn't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your starving family, this is a completely 100% optional entertainment product and if you're being asked to pay a price for it and don't want to then that's perfectly fine but it also means you don't get to play it. You don't get to have it both ways. Either pay the price being asked, wait for the price to get cheaper and if it doesn't, don't play. Much as many claim otherwise, the game makers owe you nothing when you give them nothing.

As I said in my comment on the story, the AAA industry is in free fall right now. Everyone who isn't Activision is bleeding to death, established studios can be taken out by one minor failed title and in the next generation, costs will only go up. Everyone who loses their job in the AAA industry is going into mobile and Facebook games because there's less risk and a lot less piracy so a lot lower barriers to success. All these AAA titles that we all enjoy so much, who do you think is going to keep making those if more and more people keep ripping them off? The Internet Entitlement Syndrome among the gaming community is unlike any other community anywhere. We all want new games and innovation but so many of us think they just fall out of the sky for free and that's simply how the world works. DRM is stupid, suing fans is stupid, the ways the industry is trying to fight this is largely stupid. But none of that means the pirates are right.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
43. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 10, 2012, 19:53 Parallax Abstraction

Ruffiana wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 11:49:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 08:52:
They continue to include mod tools because every game since Oblivion has been using the same 2006 edition of Gamebryo (despite the damned lie Todd Howard repeatedly told of Skyrim being an "all new in-house engine") and it's trivial for them to release them.

FYI, tools create data...that's all. It's entirely possible to have a completely different "engine" that utilizes the same asset data and thus works with the same mod tools.

Not saying that they are using a new engine, just that the ability to use existing mod tools from previous games doesn't necessarily prove they aren't.

Fair enough, I'll concede that. But yeah, from what I've read in forums and my own experiences with Skyrim, this is definitely still Gamebryo. Gamebryo's original creators went bankrupt and likely because of the license terms Bethesda had with them, they were able to appropriate the version of the engine they were using and just rename it (which is probably why they never updated beyond the Oblivion version). So it's really an "engine given an all new name, in house." This engine barely cuts it on current consoles though and it definitely won't on the next ones so at that point, I would imagine they'll either have to write a new engine or license something more recent.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

39. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 10, 2012, 08:52 Parallax Abstraction

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 00:15:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 23:55:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 22:59:
Dude, I'll white night any damn company that supports the modding community the way Bethesda does.

Never understood all the hate these guys get from some folks.

^D^

Enh, not so much. It's not like Bethsoft does this because they're pro-mod so much as they're cheap and it's much easier to get PC gamers to fix their PC games for them.

Yeah because they really need to even include mod tools at all. Isn't there some GW2 fansite that's missing you right now?

They continue to include mod tools because every game since Oblivion has been using the same 2006 edition of Gamebryo (despite the damned lie Todd Howard repeatedly told of Skyrim being an "all new in-house engine") and it's trivial for them to release them. And as others said, this allows them to release afterthought PC ports with the same horrible UI because they know modders will fix it for them. I guarantee you, when the next generation of consoles finally forces them to start using a current engine, they'll probably forgo mod tools on the PC, or they'll release ones that are watered down in comparison.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 9, 2012, 19:58 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 19:53:
Hah! Called it! I knew it was going to be less than 5 mil. I reckoned somewhere around the 2-3 million mark. So Herve and his bro get a mil each and can now fuckoff die and never darken gaming's doorway again.

That's probably exactly what will happen. None of that money will go into paying off the numerous creditors that Interplay has or actually attempting to develop anything, the Caen crooks will take it out as "bonuses" or "reimbursement" and like they've been doing for years, they'll keep drawing a salary out of Interplay until it runs out of cash, put it in Chapter 7, take a cut of the remaining assets and go retire back in France somewhere. Meanwhile, I'm still on the hook for a small business loan until 2014 because we did everything honestly, couldn't make it work and the bank made us personally guarantee it. I'm happy to live up to my obligations because I'm honest but it's hard not to be bitter when you see scumbags like this beating a dead horse and getting richer off it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 9, 2012, 19:50 Parallax Abstraction

DangerDog wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 18:06:
nin wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 09:54:
Xbox 720 rumoured to be tablet based.

Please no.

Oh, but I couldn't be happier.

I'd love to see all these next gen consoles fail HARD!

Then enjoy seeing virtually no AAA games released anymore. Like it or not, consoles are where those titles make the majority of the money that allows them to continue being made. No consoles, no AAA budgets, nothing for your high-end gaming PC to run. Though it seems the majority of the mainstream seems content to play depthless crap like Angry Birds and Infinity Blade anyway...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 6, 2012, 20:15 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter all but assured of having no opinions of value, says anyone with a brain.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2012, 15:52 Parallax Abstraction

Lokust wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 11:09:
I'll never buy a Silicon Knights game as long as they continue to blame Epic for their own sucking at game development. How many other licensees managed to make great games just fine? It's also hilarious that if you google them the search entry describes them as "developers of Metal Gear Solid series." Uh, hey guys, you ported a game. Way to misrepresent yourselves.

Not that I totally side with Silicon Knights here but there case is not without merit. There were a lot of developers at that time who came out publicly and said that UE3's initial release simply wasn't ready for PS3 and that Epic didn't deliver on promised dates for it. I think SK probably went too far and yeah, it's pretty clear a lot of this has to do with Dyack's frustration with how badly Too Human did but yeah, their claims aren't 100% BS.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 4, 2012, 19:54 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 17:22:
nin wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 10:21:
Big-name US journos form new game site.

So that's where Crecente went.

Yeah, and The Escapist's Russ Pitts and Arthur Gies from the Rebel FM podcast will be there too. No Jeff Green?

I'm excited for this new venture. A lot of this staff are responsible for some of the sites that embody everything wrong with game journalism (Kotaku, Joystiq and some from IGN) and Arthur Gies isn't a fraction as talented as he thinks he is but when these guys are allowed to control their own message and aren't being managed by a large, clueless media company, I think some amazing stuff could happen. I'm anxious to check it out, more sites with independent voices like Giant Bomb are needed.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears?
23. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 29, 2011, 16:14 Parallax Abstraction

Krovven wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 15:48:
Dev wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 15:37:
No, he was the one that drove the company into the ground in the first place. He's sticking around to milk every last dollar from its corpse.

Interplay went public, with shares sold on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange, in 1998, changing its name to "Interplay Entertainment Corp." The company then reported several years of losses, as titles such as Descent 3 and FreeSpace 2 had lackluster sales[citation needed], despite being critically acclaimed.

In 2001, French publisher Titus Interactive completed its acquisition of majority control of Interplay. Immediately afterwards, they shed most of its publisher functions and signed a long-term agreement by which Vivendi Universal would publish Interplay's games. Founder Brian Fargo eventually departed as Titus had changed Interplay's main focus from PC Gaming to Console Gaming.[7] However, Titus went through financial and legal difficulties, culminating in a close of business in 2005 after unsuccessfully trying to sell Interplay. Titus left many of its employees, both local and the international wholly owned developers, without redundancy or owed back-pay, and left creditors with large debts.

Note: As I already said, Interplay was done when it was "taken over" in 2002. They didn't have money to continue operations when Titus took over.

Im not going to keep arguing this as people have been arguing with me about it for 2+ years every time there is a story about this. Courts keep ruling in favor of Interplay, not Bethesda. I know Im in the minority when it comes to disliking Bethesda and their games, so nothing new there.

You keep assuming that this has something to do with liking a company's games or not and it doesn't. This is about the facts, I could care less about how the games are and you simply are ignoring the facts. Interplay wasn't bankrupt when they were bought, nothing you quoted says that. They were losing money yes but Titus came in and bought them through a hostile takeover, something they themselves couldn't really afford at the time, they just wanted another corporate entity to string along because Titus was rapidly crashing around them. And you continue to dance around the fact that the Caen's have been milking more money out of Interplay than they are spending on either new game development or on paying off the company's debts. They left employees and shareholders with nothing while keeping what little money is left for themselves but you keep insisting they are to be admired for trying to "save the company". Sorry, you are simply wrong on that. I'm not a fan of the way Bethesda treats their customers but the Caens are bad people who did to this company what Lay and Skilling did to Enron or what numerous Wall Street banks have done, just on a smaller scale. It boggles my mind that you would defend them.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

19. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 29, 2011, 15:06 Parallax Abstraction

Krovven wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 14:25:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 12:57:
[Umm...you're wrong there. Brian Fargo was the guy who started Interplay and built it up to what it was. The Caen brothers took control much later (this was also easy to find by searching, though Interplay was already struggling a bit before then) and basically ran the company into the ground, along with Titus.

I stand corrected on Caen bros. being around during Interplays heyday. But to correct you, they had nothing to do with the downfall of Interplay. That had already happened which was why the company was sold to begin with, under Fargo's reign. Titus just put the nail in the coffin. Caen's have been trying to save the company and rebuild, which as I said before I have a ton of respect for.

No, they really didn't. Interplay was struggling, it was not on the brink of failure when it was sold to the Caen brothers. Under the Caen's leadership, losses widened, the stock price tanked and employees and shareholders were left unpaid while (as stated above), they continued to draw more salaries between them than were being spent on actually trying to make games. How is that saving anything? Do you really believe that drawing a half a million dollars salary with a stock price under one cent makes sense?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 29, 2011, 13:17 Parallax Abstraction

FYI, Eric Caen is Herve's brother. He was the CEO of Titus when it was failing, Herve was the Interplay CEO. Eric has also produced a couple of Interplay's crappy WiiWire efforts of late I believe. And yeah, Dev's digging into the reports has revealed pretty much everything one needs to know what scum they are. If you're paying yourself more than you're spending on everything else (including reducing the company's substantial debt), you're crooked.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 29, 2011, 12:57 Parallax Abstraction

Krovven wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 12:39:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 12:19:
From what I've read, you may very well be right. It's just a shame that the victors in this will be the scumbag Caen brothers who drove Interplay into the ground, shafting their investors and employees in the process. There are few less deserving of continuing to draw a salary than they are.

The company may have fallen from it's once great status. Those are the guys that also got it there in the first place. I have huge respect for them for not folding up, selling off everything and walking away with what was left over. Instead they have been trying to rebuild the company from basically nothing, and Bethesda has been trying to bully them and force them to waste money on frivolous lawsuits.

Bethesda may get lots of respect from the masses, but I've never really been a fan of their games, so I can look at this in a more objective light. Bethesda was trying to steal back the Fallout MMO rights by being a bully and I'm just not cool with that. Any other company should think twice about getting into any sort of deal with them if this is the kind of business they run.

Umm...you're wrong there. Brian Fargo was the guy who started Interplay and built it up to what it was. The Caen brothers took control much later (this was also easy to find by searching, though Interplay was already struggling a bit before then) and basically ran the company into the ground, along with Titus. After crashing Titus, they had themselves appointed the bankruptcy trustees and then transferred all the assets (but none of the debts) to Interplay, leaving Titus shareholders and employees holding the bag. Most Interplay employees also found themselves locked out when they showed up for work one day (because the landlord had locked the doors due to unpaid rent) and most of them never got a dime of severance of back pay. The Caen brothers are corporate crooks, they are simply trying to keep Interplay afloat so they can draw paycheques for as long as possible.

I'm not disagreeing that Bethesda may be trying to take advantage of their weak position or that Bethesda doesn't have its own issues with how it treats customers but the Caens are not good guys here. If anything, former Interplay investors and staff deserve the settlement money, the Caens should be out on their asses.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3240 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo