Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3251 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Rayman Origins in March
13. Re: PC Rayman Origins in March Jan 27, 2012, 09:02 Parallax Abstraction

Assuming there's no stupid DRM, everyone who complains about how there's no creativity in games anymore needs to buy and support this. I bought it for $60 at launch on the 360 and I couldn't be happier with how much I spent. It's long, challenging and an artistic and musical masterpiece. It's one of the best platformers ever made. It also bombed on consoles. I imagine it didn't have a huge team and doesn't need to move millions to make money. Games like this need to start succeeding.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2012, 16:20 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 15:50:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 11:20:
No way they'd launch the iPhone 5 that early.

Actually some folks at Verizon were telling our employees that take care of the phones that the iPhone 5's may come out in Spring... LTE support and all (along with the iPad 3's).

/shrug

We'll see... but LTE (and a person being in an area with LTE) would be about the only reason to upgrade.

I would be stunned to see them do this but with Jobs no longer helming things, who knows. I've heard the biggest problem with LTE right now is all the current chipsets are huge battery hogs. I wonder how Apple will solve this. It would just really surprise me because with the 4S being by far the best-selling iPhone yet, why would they want to cannibalise that by releasing another model before sales of that one slow down? It wouldn't surprise me if they're planning to launch a new Verizon specific iPhone 4S with LTE support but I doubt it will be the iPhone 5.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Square Enix on GOG.com
6. Re: Square Enix on GOG.com Jan 26, 2012, 16:19 Parallax Abstraction

killer_roach wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 15:50:
panbient wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:02:
Anachronox please.

A thousand times this.

Also the first two Thief games.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2012, 11:20 Parallax Abstraction

No way they'd launch the iPhone 5 that early. The 4S is selling too well and Apple would burn a lot of customer good will (I think even fanboys would have a hard time not getting mad about that and casual customers definitely would) by releasing an update that fast.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2012, 11:31.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Margaritaville Online Launches
4. Re: Margaritaville Online Launches Jan 25, 2012, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

If you don't search for your lost shaker of salt at some point, this game fails utterly.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 25, 2012, 16:16 Parallax Abstraction

Red wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 09:44:
Zynga's game may be a straight rip of Tiny Tower, but Tiny Tower was heavily inspired by the old PC game SimTower...

Very true but don't forget, everything that comes out on iOS is original and has never been done before ever. At least that's what I understand from reading sites that heavily cover iOS gaming.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Darkness II Demo
10. Re: Darkness II Demo Jan 24, 2012, 18:09 Parallax Abstraction

Drezden wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 16:26:
If I can't play the first one why would I want to play the second one?

I too find it weird that they didn't bother to put out a PC version of the first one before releasing the second one but as someone who finished the first game and the demo on 360, I can say you'd probably be fine starting with the second one. There are flashback sequences and frankly, the story is pretty simplistic, even for a comic book narrative.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 23, 2012, 09:56 Parallax Abstraction

Julio wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 05:55:
Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 00:52:
If it's between us and them I choose us.

I completely agree. Buying Apple products is supporting slavery. There's a reason why they have to put nets up to stop the workers from committing suicide.

The whole "its outsourced so Apple doesn't have anything to do with it" is completely a lie.

Thing is, while I kind of agree with your sentiment, this isn't exclusively an Apple problem. They weren't the first company to exploit Chinese working conditions and they certainly aren't the only one. Honestly, if you want to avoid giving money to slavedrivers like Foxconn, you had best stop buying technology entirely because almost all tech is built in China and most of it by people will less than stellar reputations. I posed that Apple are the ones best equipped to fight for real change but this is a systemic problem across all technology. People want to pay $400 for a laptop that by all rights should cost at least twice that much. The sad part is that given the choice of supporting fair labour or paying more, most consumers will choose the cheaper option because as long as they don't know those who are being affected, they can rationalise it to themselves.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 23, 2012, 08:44 Parallax Abstraction

Ant wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 23:33:
Narf2029 wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 17:17:
I never got the fuss since I only use the digital service. I do wish they had more to offer digitally though.
I wished they didn't have subscription. They should offer on demand payments. I rarely watch movies, TV series, etc. online.

If you live in the US (or can use a DNS spoofing service), try Vudu. They are on demand, have a huge catalogue including many new releases and you can get near Blu-ray quality titles for $5-$6 a rental that stream flawlessly. I've been using them for new stuff and Netflix for TV and older stuff and the combination's been fantastic. No one talks about Vudu for some reason but it's a great service.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 23, 2012, 08:41 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 01:47:
LittleMe wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 22:06:
I've read elsewhere that the recent sharp rise in HDD costs is greatly impacting the sales low cost PC's so this is likely the primary reason why PC sales are dropping.

My company, for whatever reason, decided to switch from Dell hardware to HP late last year. So far we're still waiting on our first shipments from HP, because "they can't deliver them due to the HDD shortage."

That really should read "We can't deliver them at the price we promised, because HDDs have gone up in price."

And so they simply DO NOT SHIP our order for ~ 500 desktops, 500 workstations and 2000 laptops.

And the mongrel who made the decision to switch to HP just shrugs and says "Well, what can we do?" Dipshit.

Creston

Ouch, my sympathies. My employer uses HP as well (though we're small, only 150 employees) and while the ProBook models we use are OK, I'd much rather we use Dell or Lenovo. My girlfriend's work uses Dell and we used them at a contract job I had before here and the E6000 series was bulletproof. Every HP yearly model we buy has quirks (two years ago it was batteries that wore out fast, last year it was weird BIOS glitches that prevented startup sometimes, this year's model won't power up a display attached to a dock unless it's docked twice). If my boss decides to move on and I get promoted to his job, I'll be changing our brand loyalty for sure. We're still able to get laptops from our wholesaler but their inventory is very low and doesn't seem to be getting replenished very often. I suspect when it does, it'll come with a hefty price increase.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 22, 2012, 21:59 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 16:33:
Apple and all those companies are proof that we need to eliminate free trade and get back to fair trade - i.e. tariffs. Reading articles like that just makes me angry on so many levels. And the saddest part is when you get these right-wing dingbats chiming in about how the problem is working people actually asking for a living wage and not their corporate masters raking in obscene amounts of profits at the expense of them and the environment. This exactly the sort of shit that makes me see the world as moving to the cold, dark, dystopian future instead of a bright and sunny one. And why is that? Because the pigs who support these companies are more concerned with the latest toy than doing what's right. Well, they're all going to work up broke, hungry, and cold sooner than later.

I really liked the article and the level of detail it went into but I find it didn't really deal with the chicken and egg scenario. Did Apple (and really the majority of mass manufacturing) go to China because there was no skilled labour available or is there no skilled labour available anymore because they sent that labour market to China? Given how long they've been sending stuff there, I think it's the latter personally. I think claiming you can't find people in the US to build your stuff is disingenuous when even if you could, you can pay Foxconn (who just recently had an entire This American Life episode dedicated to how badly the treat their workers) a fraction as much and you don't have to deal with pesky things like workers rights or environmental regulations.

The article focused on Apple but this is definitely not just a problem with them, nor did they start the trend. I have posited on my blog though that given how Apple is now the world's most valuable company and with the insane margins they have (relative to the computer industry as a whole), no one is better positioned to impose change for the better on this issue. But they choose not to and instead focus on releasing "independent audits" of their Chinese manufacturing partners that cover nothing and have no teeth.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2012, 19:52 Parallax Abstraction

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that some of the PC business is being cannibalised by smartphones and tablets. I think the trend is much less than the press is reporting however. While they may not have been in an open recession last year, there is a huge looming debt crisis there that's been brewing for the better part of a year and a lot of consumer spending has slowed in light of that. They still haven't figured out how to resolve that crisis yet and if someone of these Eurozone countries start to default on their debts, it will be less a recession than a collapse for many parts of Europe. I shouldn't have said a massive recession is already underway, that was a mistake on my part. But consumer spending has slowed significantly there on things that aren't always necessary, like PC upgrades for example.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 22, 2012, 18:08 Parallax Abstraction

I love how that article tries to surmise how this drop is showing the death of the PC and that tablets are taking over, even though it also touches on how this report is about a drop in an area that's currently in a massive recession. The causes of the drops are obvious, yet to draw clicks, they have to frame it as something else winning. Between this kind of shoddy reporting and the unabashed Apple fanboyism throughout the tech press, they've pretty much demonstrated themselves as untrustworthy now.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near
18. Re: Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 10:42:
Everyone has FPS problems in some cities, Markarth for example. Whether you notice them or not is a different story but throw up an FPS toggle next time you're there or Solitude and you'll be surprised at the numbers. It doesn't make the game unplayable or anything and things like SkyBoost help out a great deal so *shrug*.

So does SkyBoost actually work well? I was leery about installing it because it has a poor description on Skyrim Nexus and he directs people to his web site for the latest version rather than hosting it there which is often not a good sign. I've started to get the major FPS dips in cities too, despite not having the problem before. If it makes a decent different though, I'll try it out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
151. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 20, 2012, 00:07 Parallax Abstraction

Ahhh, now this is the Blue's News of old that I remember.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block?
5. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 13:00 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:42:
Save Volition! I demand SR4!!!!!!!

SR3 apparently sold crazy well so if THQ fails, someone will buy them and Volition I'm sure. I really do hope they manage to get more funding though. The AAA industry needs more competition, not more consolidation.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
2. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 13, 2012, 21:53 Parallax Abstraction

A few years back, Codemasters was sold to a private equity firm. Crap this like is par for the course for them. Given how bad most non-racing Codemasters games have been since that acquisition, I could believe this is true.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD 2011 Sales Estimates
8. Re: NPD 2011 Sales Estimates Jan 13, 2012, 20:23 Parallax Abstraction

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 17:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 14:02:
Actually it says physical sales went down 8% - which is to be expected given that everything transitions to digital where NPD has no numbers.

That's the real issue here.. NPD is no longer relevant. Even consoles have so many digital transactions now that they simply don't tell the whole story.

This. Basing any discussion on NPD numbers is pointless because they don't have the means to cover the biggest growth areas of the industry. They are becoming less and less relevant with each new report they release. The packaged goods side of the games industry is in decline, anyone who follows it in the slightest knows that. The AAA industry is in a tough transition period right now, especially with everyone trying to grab a piece of the mobile (i.e. Apple) fashion trend that has yet to plateau and will soon. There's no doubt this is a tough time to be making big budget games. But a crash? A big adjustment is coming yes but that's not the same thing. Also, that article about console failures? A bunch of analysts (who people on this site generally agree are full of shit and just looking to be quoted at the best of times) and people heavily invested in streaming game services claiming that their systems are the future, even when they're as yet totally unproven? Please, that's evidence of exactly nothing.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 12, 2012, 08:03 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 22:19:
They should both bow out and reinvest their money more wisely.

Given that consoles have been cash cows for both of them and in Sony's case, is one of the only aspects of their company that's made money lately, I don't see that happening.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: SOPA Isnít the Solution, But Can We At Least Agree Thereís A Problem Jan 11, 2012, 19:49 Parallax Abstraction

Kajetan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 09:50:
No. Because there is no actual problem. Only a percieved problem.

"If they do nothing, they are essentially ceding a good portion of their sales to pirates who have no intention of ever paying them a dime."

There is no proof that DRM increases sales, there is no proof that the lack of DRM decreases sales. For DECADES, since the early days of tapes and video cassettes the fear of loosing sales is based on assumptions, not actual, proven facts.

Cripes, lot of TechDirt readers here. While there is no proof that DRM increases sales, there is lots of proof of entitled douchebags who expect to be able to get whatever they want for free (so long as they don't have to look the person they're ripping off in the face of course) are stealing plenty of stuff they have no right to be playing. It is ridiculous to claim that no one who pirates a game wouldn't buy it if that was their only choice. This isn't stealing a loaf of bread to feed your starving family, this is a completely 100% optional entertainment product and if you're being asked to pay a price for it and don't want to then that's perfectly fine but it also means you don't get to play it. You don't get to have it both ways. Either pay the price being asked, wait for the price to get cheaper and if it doesn't, don't play. Much as many claim otherwise, the game makers owe you nothing when you give them nothing.

As I said in my comment on the story, the AAA industry is in free fall right now. Everyone who isn't Activision is bleeding to death, established studios can be taken out by one minor failed title and in the next generation, costs will only go up. Everyone who loses their job in the AAA industry is going into mobile and Facebook games because there's less risk and a lot less piracy so a lot lower barriers to success. All these AAA titles that we all enjoy so much, who do you think is going to keep making those if more and more people keep ripping them off? The Internet Entitlement Syndrome among the gaming community is unlike any other community anywhere. We all want new games and innovation but so many of us think they just fall out of the sky for free and that's simply how the world works. DRM is stupid, suing fans is stupid, the ways the industry is trying to fight this is largely stupid. But none of that means the pirates are right.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3251 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo