Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3259 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > 38 Studios in Financial Trouble?
30. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 15, 2012, 10:31 Parallax Abstraction

CNCGEEK101 wrote on May 15, 2012, 08:23:
410k sold? Sorry anybody who believes those sales numbers is full of crap cause neither Origin nor Steam provides sales numbers. I estimate 1.2 million sales if you include the digital sales numbers with the physical copy sales though.

I don't know if those predictions are right or not but as usual, NPD numbers (which is what that 410K number is) are useless. They only count the US, ignore digital sales entirely and don't even count all retailers. NPD numbers are about as useful as analyst predictions (i.e. not at all).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 14, 2012, 19:24 Parallax Abstraction

jimnms wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:30:
Capella wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:12:
I love the ribbon interface in Explorer in 8. Hope there is a way to import that into 7.
The ribbon interface is something that should be killed, buried and never talked about again.

Speaking as someone who has to support users of Office, the ribbon was one of the most brilliant innovations in intuitive UI in years. I think it was one of the single greatest additions to Office in a decade and I'm not at all kidding when I say that. I welcome it in Explorer as well. Microsoft has beat the drum of how more users use more advanced features of Office since the ribbon's introduction and I can attest from my own personal experience with my users that it's totally true.

BUT it should be 100% optional and that it isn't was a dumb decision. I'm all for making things easier for less adept users but a stripped down option for power users should remain.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > April Retail Game Sales Fall 42%
13. Re: April Retail Game Sales Fall 42% May 11, 2012, 12:36 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on May 11, 2012, 10:27:
The official NPD numbers STILL don't include digital sales? Jesus, are they tabulated on an abacus too? Etched into a stone tablet for posterity?

NPD's numbers have been about as useful as anything stock analysts have to say for years now. They only talk about the US, they don't include digital numbers and they don't even include all retailers because some don't participate. They're data can be used to predict broad trends but it's largely useless. And yeah, sales are down this month because nothing bloody came out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2012, 14:12 Parallax Abstraction

killer_roach wrote on May 9, 2012, 14:06:
Could be worse, could be the Facebook IPO that's upcoming, which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. It's profitable, but it's spiraling upward in size without improving its profits. (Unless you are assuming the company will start seeing its profits mushrooming, its earnings would indicate a market cap somewhere in the $10 billion range, not an order of magnitude higher.)

Given that Facebook has openly admitted that they have no idea how to monetize mobile users of their site which is quickly becoming how the majority will access it says a lot. I also wonder how many investors are going to be smart enough to sell their Apple stock because the fashion bubble on them bursts and their sales drop to a sustainable level. That stock is going to drop like a rock when the current unrealistic growth plateaus.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Warlock - Master of the Arcane May 8, 2012, 15:21 Parallax Abstraction

The UI is a bit janky but between the demo and TotalBiscuit's recent video, it was enough to get me to pick it up. Feels like Civ meets Master of Magic. It's $20 so with multiplayer (which apparently will be patched in) or not, it's a steal.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > On EA and Indies
19. Re: On EA and Indies May 6, 2012, 11:43 Parallax Abstraction

For as much as I agree that it's scummy as Hell for EA to be using the term in this way, no one seems to mind that Humble Bundle, Inc. is heavily backed by venture capital. How indie is it even in that case?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization May 4, 2012, 15:15 Parallax Abstraction

I remember reading an article a while back that said many carriers are actively pushing people to buy other phones now because many of them are actually losing money as a result of the iPhone. Not that I feel much sympathy for carriers mind but apparently because the iPhone is so overpriced compared to competing models, the carriers aren't making nearly as much off the contracts because they have to subsidize and amortize such a large up-front price. Indeed, AT&T and Sprint's profits have fallen substantially since they started carrying the iPhone. This is one of among many reasons why Apple's current growth is an unsustainable bubble. They're getting away with overcharging for their products because Apple stuff is a fashion trend right now. When that trend wears off, they're going to have to cut prices or their record revenues will go off a cliff.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 4, 2012, 14:09 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on May 4, 2012, 11:06:
That rumor about manufacturers already making the new consoles, has been around for a while. I am curious to see if Microsoft or Sony will unveil anything this year at E3 or even tease people about the new console(s)

Microsoft and Sony have both insisted there will be no new console reveals at E3 this year but I dunno, their sales are starting to drop and since the Apple fanboy tech press won't shut up about how apparently all gaming will be done on iPads in a few years, it might be in their interests to announce now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Revealed?
27. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 23:49 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on May 3, 2012, 15:51:
Which failed since DoW2 bombed badly

Citation needed. A game doesn't get two expansions when it bombs.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Revealed?
9. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Revealed? May 3, 2012, 15:13 Parallax Abstraction

Between this and the SR3 expansion, THQ is clearly not going to go down without one Hell of a fight. I really hope they survive long enough to get this stuff out and that it's great and sells well.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Call of Black Ops II Revealed
28. Re: Call of Black Ops II Revealed May 1, 2012, 15:15 Parallax Abstraction

Call of Duty: Another One  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Minerva's Den Vets Form Studio
4. Re: Minerva's Den Vets Form Studio May 1, 2012, 10:39 Parallax Abstraction

I really enjoyed Minerva's Den and am curious to see what they come up with. Hopefully it's not another weak iOS game. I'm starting to wonder how long it will be before all these new mobile indie teams starting up realise what most of the industry already knows, that iOS is already insanely hit driven and your chances of success in that ecosystem are lightning strike thin.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 30, 2012, 23:22 Parallax Abstraction

Fitting response for Apple products.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Mike Hayes Leaving SEGA
7. Re: Mike Hayes Leaving SEGA Apr 30, 2012, 17:04 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 11:46:
Speaking of Sega... Binary Domain... worst PC port in the history of PC ports?

Is was that bad eh? That's a shame, it looked kind of neat in a ridiculous camp kind of way.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Vivendi Denies Break-up Rumors
15. Re: Vivendi Denies Break-up Rumors Apr 27, 2012, 16:28 Parallax Abstraction

personman_145 wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:21:
I've been boycotting them since they dropped support for Tribes: Vengeance (a couple months after I bought it), and I've been blaming them for the death of the franchise.

Have yet to try Tribes Ascend, worried it will be disappointing...Maybe I'll give it a shot.

It's beyond amazing. Ignore the "it's pay2win LOLZ" whining, it's not at all.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Nexon Bids on EA: Report
2. Re: Nexon Bids on EA: Report Apr 26, 2012, 20:52 Parallax Abstraction

There have been numerous articles since then where various analysts who are otherwise known for dumb predictions have even said that there's no way this is true. When you look at the numbers for both companies, it would be incredibly hard for Nexon to make such a purchase go through and even harder for them to be able to run a company as different from them as EA. They've pretty much said this is a BS rumour.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
7. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

I'd love to make a snarky comment along the lines of "I'm sure all 5 Linux gamers are enthralled" but this might be a good idea for Valve. A lot of indie titles and the recent torrent of Kickstarter projects are releasing Linux versions and if there's an easy way to buy, install and update them, that could be good for those developers. There must be a market for these games on Linux if they're bothering to port them there. Given that they have the Steam codebase already, it was probably pretty easy and didn't take much work to put it on Linux. If it helps indies, I guess it's a good thing. I doubt that Valve putting all these resources elsewhere would suddenly see Half-Life 3 getting made or anything.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Specs
35. Re: Max Payne 3 Specs Apr 24, 2012, 08:47 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 00:31:
L.A. Noire was locked at 30 FPS.

LA Noire ran a proprietary engine, not Rockstar's RAGE tech. Not that the one RAGE titles released on PC (GTA4) wasn't an unoptimised mess mind. I really would prefer to play this on PC but yeah, nervous about pre-ordering a Rockstar PC title given their recent track record.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 23, 2012, 15:08 Parallax Abstraction

avianflu wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 12:51:
Agreed -- Apple truly doesnt care about corporate/enterprise support or the IT support sector.

Their profit is in consumer sales and they know it.

That's exactly it. There's a reason they got out of the server business and why many think they will be killing off the Mac Pro in the near future (which makes sense considering how they completely eviscerated Final Cut Pro). People are rushing to find reasons to add tablets because they're a fashion trend right now. People want them because they're cool, not because they're actually well developed or mature yet. One day, they may very well get there but they're miles away from that point yet. They're toys for consumers who don't mind closed systems where the people who made your device still feel they can tell you how to use it even after they've got your money. I think Apple's important and that the bodycheck they gave the arrogant and lazy PC industry was long overdue but their growth is out of control and the bubble needs to pop so people (and in particular, the massive fanboy press) can come back down to reality.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: letter to control about the big brother Apr 22, 2012, 11:55 Parallax Abstraction

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 00:44:
$15 retailer margin? Fuck me, someone get me the number of THAT distributor. I make $5 on a new game if I am lucky.

I've never understood where that retailer margin number comes from either. When I worked for Best Buy Canada a few years ago, employees were able to buy anything in the store at cost + 10% and using our POS system, we could actually see what the cost on an item was. I used to save a ton of money on many things using this program, except games. With my staff discount, I would usually save a couple of bucks at most and the actual store cost of new games listed in the system was usually around $5 less than the retail price. I used to know a guy who owned a MicroPlay franchise about 10 years ago and he said the same thing. Unless it was a hotly anticipated new release that he could move hundreds of on launch day, he said that he literally would be losing money if all he was selling was brand new products. From everything I've ever seen, the reasons these retailers push used stuff so heavily is not just because it makes a lot more money but because it's basically the only way to make any real money. Maybe GameStop commands much higher margins on new products but yeah, if Best Buy at their peak in 2006 had no margin, I don't see how their's is so much better.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3259 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo