Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3200 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Next-gen consoles mean increased development costs, this is a repeat Apr 3, 2012, 13:21 Parallax Abstraction

JeffD wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 12:58:
I've heard this exact same headline for when the ps2 came out, the ps3, and now the ps4 generation. However in todays world it could never be more false.

Thing is, development costs have gone WAY up though. It didn't cost $30-$50M to make a game before marketing in the PS2/Xbox generation. I don't see how having greater technology (not just in GPU power but CPU power and what that means for level size and complexity) will not result in higher costs. With the exception of a handful of publishers, the AAA industry is bleeding money and the ones that are in the black are only so because of a couple of key franchises. When those franchises are no longer fashionable, they're going to have a real hard time making money.

I don't want to see AAA games go away because as good as indie games are, they simply cannot deliver experiences like Skyrim or Mass Effect. But the AAA industry can barely make money, even being almost totally averse to risk as they are. I don't know how this is going to continue.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Worms Revolution Announced
6. Re: Worms Revolution Announced Mar 30, 2012, 18:58 Parallax Abstraction

What, no iOS version? Well clearly this has absolutely no chance of success then. No one buys games on anything but their iPhone and iPad anymore.

/thegamingpressthesedays

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts
11. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts Mar 29, 2012, 22:23 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 22:15:
So that guy that leaked about the WH40K MMO being canceled was absolutely right. It was canceled, the MMO is no more. It's a singleplayer game now.

This makes me wonder if all the stuff he said is also spot on, if so THQ must be on their last breath, as if these layoffs weren't a red flag big enough. Firing devs working on Darksiders II, who is still a long way to being released? That is the sign of something bad happening at THQ.

Darksiders II is due to come out in June so it's nearly done. But it was said a couple of months ago that THQ could run out of cash in June if they don't start turning profits or can't secure more credit. UFC's doing well and if Saint's Row 3 is continuing to sell, they might just survive but I don't know how they're going to fund next generation projects now. Brian Farrell's bungled things there for years and yet somehow he's still running the show. There aren't going to be many AAA publishers left soon.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 13:04 Parallax Abstraction

bhcompy wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:23:
For once I hope Pachter is right

I think the whole blocking used games thing is something all the console makers have thought of but none will do. Aside from the parasitic relationship they have to maintain with the likes of GameStop, this tactic would only work if all the console makers did it. If Sony or Microsoft does and the other doesn't, everyone will use the console that doesn't and the other one will get no third party support and be stillborn. I think this generation they will just make a big push into day-and-date digital releases like Sony's doing with the Vita and in the next generation (assuming you know, we aren't all just using iPads as consoles like the lazy gaming press is starting to say), they'll go digital only if there's enough broadband penetration and the big telcos aren't continuing to force unrealistically low caps.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Epic Games Planning an MMOG?
5. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

It's not going to be an Epic game. Epic Games China split off from the company a little while ago and became Yingpei Games. If they're doing an MMO, they're doing it on their own, not as part of Epic. Given that this spin off was announced a while ago, the report isn't super credible right there.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Another Mass Effect 3 Bounty Weekend
6. Re: Another Mass Effect 3 Bounty Weekend Mar 28, 2012, 22:35 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 21:54:
You'd almost think they were desperate to get more players and/or sales by how often they are doing these things.

The game's sold over 4 million and the multiplayer population on 360 is packed, as some friends also tell me it is on PC. It's doing fine.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rovio Acquires Futuremark Games Studio
1. Re: Rovio Acquires Futuremark Games Studio Mar 27, 2012, 10:24 Parallax Abstraction

Seems like an odd fit given what Rovio makes and what Futuremark has made so far. Weirder still is that apparently Futuremark (who is going to continue to make benchmarks independently) is retaining all the rights to Shattered Horizon and Unstoppable Gorg, even though they are not going to be making any games in the future. So Rovio basically just hired the staff and took over whatever project they were working on. Maybe they were working on some big new casual franchise. Angry Gorg?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Angry Birds Space and Demo Released
4. Re: Angry Birds Space and Demo Released Mar 22, 2012, 23:09 Parallax Abstraction

Rovio is the Nickleback of game development. They take a genre others have done far better things with before, make something in it that's serviceable at best, take no risks with it whatsoever, make it as dumbed down and mainstream as it can possibly be, iterate only as little as they have to each time, get rich off it and then prance around like their god's gift to the artform. Angry Birds was a lucky hit for them but to hear their CEO talk, you'd think he practically invented video games.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > ECA vs Video Games Labeling Act
2. Re: ECA vs Video Games Labeling Act Mar 22, 2012, 10:34 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 10:24:
Yet when it came to SOPA these cunts had no problem supporting that law. It's fine as long as it protects our freedoms but when it comes to gamer's freedoms they can do anything. Fucking hypocrites.

That was the Entertainment SOFTWARE Association, a totally different group that represents the industry. Not the biggest fan of the ECA either but they don't represent publishers.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:43 Parallax Abstraction

Right, I forgot, this is a Blue's News thread. No good will come from having a dissenting opinion here. My break's over anyway, back to work.  
Parallax Abstraction

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:41 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:39:
How about because it's a video game?

Please stop with this silliness, different things matter to different people. Blah blah its just cars, its just sports, etc etc. Most people had very reasonable complaints considering the time invested and how the game was experienced. Just because some idiots filed an FTC complaint doesn't mean the entire userbase was doing it too.

And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I said. People can not like it, people can complain. But BioWare is responding to this because the "movement" has gotten so out of control that it's affecting their PR. Again, if you believe in what you're creating, the PR value of such a thing shouldn't matter. By giving in to this, the Retake Mass Effect movement will feel validated and that means we'll see more of that nonsense every time a vocal group doesn't like something about a title (which guess what, is every game ever released now).

Parallax Abstraction

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:36 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:19:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 14:18:
(I have not yet seen the Mass Effect 3 ending but I can't imagine any ending that would warrant the level of outrage we've seen),

So why are you bitching about this? How about you SEE how bad it is first before you call everyone a bunch of whiners?

Creston

How about because it's a video game? I hated the ending of LOST and The Sopranos too but I wasn't creating web sites and filing complaints with the FTC over it. Let me be clear, people certainly have a right to not like the ending (from what little non-spoilery tidbits I've pieced together, I'm sure I won't like it either) but if BioWare believed in what they were creating, retconing it just to please a bunch of people screaming on the Internet shouldn't be on the table. I don't care if people didn't like the ending, that's fine. But the people review bombing the game and filing complaints with the government are idiots and shouldn't be taken seriously. By even considering changing the ending, BioWare validates this behaviour.

Parallax Abstraction

1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 14:18 Parallax Abstraction

Great, cause listening to whiners on the Internet sets such a great precedent. Either you believe in the work you released or you don't. By capitulating to the whining idiots (I have not yet seen the Mass Effect 3 ending but I can't imagine any ending that would warrant the level of outrage we've seen), you tell people that by screaming loud enough, they can just get whatever they want. Stand by what you made.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > PC Binary Domain Next Month
1. Re: PC Binary Domain Next Month Mar 19, 2012, 20:08 Parallax Abstraction

This game's been getting some decent buzz. Apparently the gameplay is good and the story and acting are so bad they're endearing. If they port it well (but it's Sega so I'm not hopeful), I might pick this up on PC.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
11. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:36 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:16:
Not sure why you'd ever agree to a deal where you get money based on an aggregate score of subjective views by third parties.

No tears shed here.

Creston

Aside from it being a standard industry practice, it's easy to say that when you're choices are sign that deal or possibly have to close your company and lay all your staff off because it's your only prospect. Independent AAA developers (especially ones who are in a work-for-hire state and don't own their own IP) operate in a brutal business environment right now where the publishers basically have all the cards. You play by their rules or you go out of business. I'm curious what you'd do when faced with such a choice.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Mar 11, 2012, 18:45 Parallax Abstraction

Sepharo wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 17:09:
MattyB wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 17:07:
Stop thinking you're a producer and telling us when and where we should be building our content

Wow.

Hahaha, "Dear customers, stop telling us what you want, we'll tell you what you want."

Hey, it seems to work for Apple.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > No PvP in Diablo III Launch
14. Re: No PvP in Diablo III Launch Mar 9, 2012, 23:00 Parallax Abstraction

Between the very dated looks, bad voice acting and completely unevolved play mechanics, the beta for this was already making me wonder if it was worth buying. Plus the whole always-on DRM thing and now they're stripping features out before launch. Yeah, I think I might skip this out of the gate.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fraud Claim Dropped in Infinity Ward Lawsuit
5. Re: Fraud Claim Dropped in Infinity Ward Lawsuit Mar 9, 2012, 18:25 Parallax Abstraction

zirik wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:26:
are they still under a non-compete agreement? they dont seem to be working on any project.

Respawn Entertainment is operating and working on something for EA that many think will be revealed at E3 this year.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 10:33 Parallax Abstraction

Yakubs wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:13:
Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:06:
How about just maybe the game really does kick ass and you just canít accept it for what it is. A great game and a great closer on the trilogy. Hmmm!

BioWare hasn't made an overall great game since BG2. And, no, I do not define cutscenes and NPC romance as a "game."

You're opinion. Guess what? Not everyone thinks like you.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Feb 29, 2012, 20:33 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:51:
Yea for Gary!

Hope it's better than Book of Eli. That movie was painful.

Parallax Abstraction

3200 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo