Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3240 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > KAOS Studios Postmortem
41. Re: KAOS Studios Postmortem Jul 8, 2012, 14:30 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 11:56:
Also mobile games are not profitable. Like AAA games a small handful of them are, the rest are not. If publishers move to mobile platforms a problem will arise which is the price of games. Mobile gamers are used to pay $5 top for a game, if publishers start pushing for mobile games costing $20 or more then they will meet with utter failure of sales since demand for such high priced games on mobiles is none when far cheaper games also offer quality gaming for a mobile. The mobile market is not in any way or form any sort of salvation for publishers, quite the contrary in fact, if they jump to mobiles than the demise of publishers will happen even faster.

I've been hammering a version of this point for a while now. Basically, that mobile games are in a gold rush and that contrary to the message the games press pushes by constantly referencing only the handful of big successes, the risk of failure in that space is just as great. Even Mark Rein from Epic (who is riding on the sadly massive success of Infinity Blade) said that most iOS games gross $700 in their lifetime, making them a failure for most who don't make games on the side for fun. The barrier to entry is much lower than AAA which mitigates some of those risks right now but as tablets keep evolving in power (which they will since Apple et al. need to keep moving hardware to maintain their own profits), soon it's going to cost a lot more to make mobile games that don't use pixel art. At that point, the $0.99 model no longer works and prices have to go up and marketing campaigns will be needed to get titles noticed. And the cycle repeats.

The one part I'm curious what you think about though is the new kind of gross freemium model a lot of mobile stuff is going to. My girlfriend and I bought a used iPad 2 earlier this year, mostly so I could try to see what all the hype was about. Most of the newer games coming out on that now are either $1 or free but they're all becoming full of these gross Skinner Box powerup and advancement methods to try to get far more money out of you for things even less valuable than a new skin or something. Pocket Planes is positively disgusting in this way (it's basically FarmVille with planes) and other titles like the follow-up to Flight Control and Infinity Blade do the same thing. Flight Control Rocket is a score driven game where you can artificially buy your way onto leaderboards and though you can ignore it, you can't be competitive otherwise and the games will constantly nag and remind you that you can and should be buying in. What people like Paul Barnett have been saying lately is that mobile gamers have become so used to paying practically nothing that even games at $5 are not viable anymore. But if everything becomes a Skinner Box, that's just bad for the medium I feel. Do you think that's going to get to be a bigger and bigger trend and how mobile's going to keep itself from burning out in a couple of years or do you think the public will get tired of it?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend
4. Re: Max Payne 3 Double XP Weekend Jul 6, 2012, 13:23 Parallax Abstraction

Great, now the rampant hackers can level up even faster!

I kid only kind of. The multiplayer in this is actually very good, especially the Gang Wars mode but the amount of cheating going on was horrible the last time I played. Guys getting single kills from across the map with a pistol and having the paper cutout show you getting hit in the leg, things of that nature. Rockstar said they were working on it so I hope they can stamp it out. I'll probably give it another shot this weekend and see if it's improved.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 20:47 Parallax Abstraction

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 18:49:
For those mentioning the $1-$2 Android and iOS games, Square Enix isn't having a problem selling their games on those two at prices between $10-$15 each.

Yeah but most of those are Final Fantasy remakes and trading on that branding. It's very easy to charge a premium when you have a very strong install base of fans who will buy anything with Final Fantasy on it. Companies like Cave are also charging $10+ for iOS updates of their old shmups and they're in bad financial shape and recently had their CEO resign.

killer_roach, I think you're reading more into what I was saying than I was. I'm not saying that only the Top 25 Angry Birds level of mobile titles can succeed. Far from that and those board games you are right in claiming have a nice long tail and sell well. Granted, those are IPs established from elsewhere. If someone tried to put out a wholly original board game idea on iOS tomorrow, how much notice would it get? But there are exceptions of course.

What I was addressing are people like Paul Barnett who I recently heard on the Giant Bombcast basically claiming that in a couple of years, anything that isn't $0.99 or free is going to fail and that people are soon not going to be prepared to pay any real up front price for games. I think that argument in the way he presented is it ridiculous and if it's true that everything is going to be a $1 title full of skinner box microtransaction crap, I guess I'll have to find another hobby. The world is still in a bad way economically, a fact many in the gaming press don't seem to remember. iOS devices are selling as well as they are because they're fashionable (don't take that to mean they won't continue to sell well but Apple's current growth trend is unsustainable) but that's going to taper off when people start to get tired of replacing a $500 device every two years because the old one has been artifically obsoleted.

Mobile games are here to stay and I think gaming is better for that. And there's a good chance that the next generation of consoles may be the last and that how people acquire and play games will be changing a lot. But I think the notion I referenced above is ridiculous. The enthusiast press is very good at proclaiming short-term trends as the new norm and then pretending like they never said that when they're wrong. This is an industry that loves to quote Michael Pachter after all. The mobile market in its current form has only existed for less than 5 years and there's simply no evidence to assert that the current trend of growth there is sustainable or that a few well publicised successes in any way represent the common trend in mobile development.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2012, 14:24 Parallax Abstraction

As broken at the $60 AAA pricing model is (and it definitely is), I am getting really sick of everything being compared to bloody mobile as if anyone who doesn't sell games for $0.99 has already failed. As others have said, mobile is currently a gold rush and anyone who thinks this isn't a bubble is kidding themselves. Mobile isn't going anywhere but remember the Wii? Remember how it came out, was on fire for several years and burned out almost over night? That's going to happen to mobile.

The lazy press only ever reports on the Angry Birds and Draw Somethings but the fact is the vast majority of the 5% or so of mobile titles that aren't absolute garbage lose money and lots of it. I think it was Mark Rein who recently said that the average mobile title grosses $700 over its lifetime and the CEO of Ready At Dawn Studios recently said mobile's already like the rest of the industry where a handful of big players are dominating the space. It's entirely hit driven and soon, mobile games are going to need marketing budgets in order to get noticed and and as Apple keeps pushing higher specs with new devices, making games that aren't pixel art suddenly get more expensive.

What happens then? Costs spiral and games start costing $10 instead of $0.99. Then $20. Smaller indie players can't compete, the publishers take over and we're right back where we are now.

Mobile has revolutionised gaming and for the better in many ways but I'm getting real tired of hearing lazy press outlets talking about how all we'll be doing is playing games on tablets in 5 years and how $0.99 is the future and we're somehow going to be playing AAA blockbusters for that soon. It's just ridiculous to think that way. The industry needs major change but all that's happening right now is everyone's moving from one broken model to another model that they're trying their damndest to break again.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
22. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 16:43 Parallax Abstraction

There could be potential in this as a way to deliver games but all the lazy tech sites screaming "THIS IS THE FUTURE!" fail to understand that one of the biggest lobbying industries anywhere (big telecom) is firmly against stuff like this. It's why bandwidth caps are going down, it's why companies are introducing throttling, it's why these huge vertically integrated ISP/cable companies are exempting their own delivery services from caps. For this to become a strong reality, an army of telecom lobbyists will have to be basically ignored and more broadband competition will have to happen and that's simply not going to be a reality any time soon.

Also, I tried the TERA online demo out on Gaikai. There's potential there but the technology needs a LOT of work. I have a good connection and I saw poor image quality, artifacting and major mouse response issues (went form being super laggy to spinning my character around 2-3 times if I moved it slightly). It may have been something on my end or a glitch that particular time but it didn't leave a great impression of what it's capable of.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Death Rally Remake for PCs Next Month
4. Re: Death Rally Remake for PCs Next Month Jul 1, 2012, 19:40 Parallax Abstraction

killer_roach wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 19:06:
Honestly, I found the iOS version to be one of the few games with a virtual joystick that I could control worth a damn.

To each their own I guess. I have it on our iPad 2 and have tried to play it a half dozen times or so. I've always ended up frustrated and unable to do well at it. It's been very popular though so obviously it hasn't put many off.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 18:20 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 16:58:
Edit: The darkness 2 is on sale for about $12, anyone every try that?

I think it's fantastic. Some of the best voice acting I've hard in years, very solid action and a story that's actually not all bad. I've heard the co-op missions are good too but I haven't had a chance to try them. This was a criminally underappreciated release.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Death Rally Remake for PCs Next Month
2. Re: Death Rally Remake for PCs Next Month Jul 1, 2012, 18:18 Parallax Abstraction

The iOS version's controls are absolutely awful and make the game nigh unplayable, as is the case with pretty much anything that tries to do that on-screen joystick and button crap. The game underneath looked very promising though. I hope the version on PC that you can control worth a damn is much better.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 26, 2012, 08:48 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 22:27:
Oh yeah, no doubt. It's just infuriating when no one calls him on his errors...

Yep, he farms the press for free publicity with his ridiculous predictions and they always hand it to him every damn time.

This prediction is particularly dumb for one simple reason: Cable companies don't want you using your subsidised box for games. Why? Because then you aren't watching TV and that's what they want you doing! If they wanted you playing games, every set top box would already have versions of Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja on them. The more people do things like play games instead of watching TV, the more people think that maybe they don't need to be paying $100/month to get 3 channels worth watching and 97 of reality dreck. One of the main reasons I cut the cord in 2009 was because with all the games I had to play, I just didn't care about TV that much anymore.

But as usual, when he's wrong the press will just be trumpeting his next prediction and ignoring another failure from his mouth.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
59. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 09:02 Parallax Abstraction

This will be the last Blizzard product I ever buy unless they completely change the way they're approaching this stuff in the future. If the only way to protect your RMAH is to restrict paying customers to demo mode for 3 days, then you failed at properly designing and securing your RMAH and that's what should be taken away until it can be fixed.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > M.U.L.E. Homage Kickstarter
1. Re: M.U.L.E. Homage Kickstarter Jun 19, 2012, 13:13 Parallax Abstraction

I'd love to see a new take on M.U.L.E. but while this is getting a PC version, it seems very focused on mobile first which really saps a lot of my interest. I think half a million bucks is very ambitious for a nostalgia project but we'll see.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
30. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 08:56 Parallax Abstraction

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 01:44:
Unless the features state "It's an Ipad" I'm not sure it'll sell.

That's the biggest problem when they're trying to enter a market that's currently driven by a fashion trend.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Microsoft Unveils Surface
17. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:43 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:27:
Looks interesting, but it all comes down to price (which they didn't specifically announce). They have to come in under apple if they want to compete, but the fire (granted a smaller screen) and other android tablets have the the lower market locked up, and I can't see MS trying to compete with those on price (instead, like apple, they're try and show you all the neat things you can't do with an entry level android tablet).

I theorised when talking about this potential announcement with my boss today that the reason Microsoft is doing this tablet in-house instead of through a partner is so they can do what they did with the 360: Sell it at a decent loss initially in order to get market penetration, some of which will be made up on software. This is something none of their OEM partners would be willing to do. If they were willing to do that and can come in a couple hundred bucks under the iPad that way, they might have a hit on their hands. But the lack of pricing announcements and having a press event for this months before it comes out is dumb. One of the few things Apple does super well is announcements. "Here's the product, here's the price and you can buy it in a few days." They should have done that here, even if they had to wait until the Fall.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 16, 2012, 13:50 Parallax Abstraction

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 00:09:
Amazon Kindle Fire's haven't plunged off a cliff. From what I've read here,seems bloggers and others mis-understood what the information presented was really meaning.

I hope that's true. I really want to see the Kindle line continue to succeed. There's not nearly enough competition in tablets yet.

As usual, the tech press at large proves they're less journalists and more repeater circuits for PR.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 16, 2012, 00:03 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 21:49:
Amazon Discounts Their Kindles.

Those deals, combined with the kindle fire coupons they offered the other day, are rumored to be because they're clearing stock, for whatever they announce this fall.

They're still great deals (I love my kindle keyboard), but like apple, there's always something "better" coming soon.

There's also been rumblings lately that the Kindle business is in free fall. Apparently Fire sales went off a cliff after Christmas and their e-readers are slowing too as many are just using tablets. I don't know how anyone can read off a backlit screen for a long period but...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
24. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 14:35 Parallax Abstraction

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:12:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2012, 13:07:
I need to try Arcade mode, see if that lets you play without the CONSTANT interruptions.
Cutscenes are all still present in the arcade mode. I was also hoping they were removed

That sucks. I was thinking of doing another run through in arcade mode. Far less interested now. Doesn't the main menu say that Campaign is supposed to be for people who want to focus on story? Geez.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
6. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 11:06 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter's quotes are as pointless, ignorant and irrelevant as ever. Max Payne 3's development was led by Rockstar Vancouver, a one project studio who released Bully in 2006 and who I don't think started Max Payne 3 until some time later. Even if they did start it the moment they finished Bully (a game which by the way Pachter also wrongly predicted would bomb), that's 6 years maximum. And yeah, anything that released in the same month as Diablo 3 is going to sell less. Also, he's basing this off the irrelevant NPD numbers which means that PC sales are largely not even a factor in the numbers because of how many are buying the game on Steam. When LA Noire came out, it was only on consoles and could only be purchased from retailers.

He also made some claims about some company's financial positions during one of the E3 Giant Bombcast episodes that were later proven to be complete lies. The press needs to stop quoting this hack as if he knows anything, he doesn't.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Citizens Bank Sues Curt Schilling
6. Re: Citizens Bank Sues Curt Schilling Jun 14, 2012, 23:41 Parallax Abstraction

Bet wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 22:32:
Court documents indicate Schilling also personally guaranteed a $1.5 million line of credit from Middlesex Savings Bank of Natick. He also used his personal gold coin collection to help obtain a loan from Bank Rhode Island, a unit of Brookline Bancorp. in Brookline, for an unspecified amount, according to records.

In all, Schilling told the Providence Journal last month, he guaranteed $12 million in loans for the company, in addition to investing $38 million directly.

How much did he get paid as pitcher, again?

An article I recently read said he earned like $110M over his pitching career and had about $50M left. Apparently between what he initially invested and other credit facilities he extended the company, he's actually almost broke now. That hasn't been confirmed but he apparently banked almost everything he had in the bank on 38 Studios.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts
3. Re: Diablo III Tops U.S. Charts Jun 14, 2012, 23:39 Parallax Abstraction

Another month, another bunch of press outlets touting increasingly irrelevant NPD numbers. At least this article actually mentions that they don't include non-US sales, though their digital sales "estimates" are meaningless since there's no way to verify them. They also still don't mention that several major retailers don't participate in NPD or that the digital sales estimate likely doesn't include stuff like F2P. I'm sure tomorrow we'll read a bunch of "analysis" articles discussing how the end is nigh for all AAA games and this is just a sign that people want to play nothing but iOS drivel and Facebook stuff, forget that neither of those are doing well either (look at Zynga's stock and player numbers). So predictable, yet so old and tired.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 14:11 Parallax Abstraction

When mobile devices can play high production value games with actual depth instead of time-wasting dreck, 99% of which is garbage anyway, then I'll be happy to embrace them as the new norm gaming medium instead of PC or even consoles. But based on the 30 or so games I've played on my girlfriend's iPad, they have a long way to go yet. As for the cloud future, never going to happen as long as big telcos control the pipes and can restrict them without penalty. And if people think always-on DRM is bad now, wait until any and all software works that way.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2012, 14:45.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3240 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo