Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3348 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Full Control Lays Off Staff; Lays Off Game Development
5. Re: Full Control Lays Off Staff; Lays Off Game Development Mar 18, 2015, 23:29 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 20:27:
So why are they out of bidness if they've enjoyed such commercial success?

People like the game but that doesn't mean it sold well. They said "ten games with considerable critical and commercial success", that's probably not all of them. They probably owed some pretty hefty royalties to Games Workshop for using their license too. From what I've read, they were unable to secure financing/a publisher for their next project and after paying back a loan they had, they basically had no money left.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2015, 00:45 Parallax Abstraction

Yep, definitely another Ian Bogost article. He is masterful at making himself sound smart without actually saying much of value.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
24. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 20:46 Parallax Abstraction

Paradox gave this game to a bunch of streamers and YouTubers before the traditional press and look how well it did for them, even though it's got some rough edges. The relevancy of the traditional press slips more and more each day.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT Announced
6. Re: TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT Announced Mar 12, 2015, 14:45 Parallax Abstraction

ViRGE wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 01:46:
Game Freak? As in the Pokemon guys? How did they get free of Nintendo to make a game for other platforms?

They mostly make Pokemon but they're actually an independent studio. They've made other non-Pokemon stuff through the years, just not a ton of it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Released
7. Re: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Released Mar 11, 2015, 09:17 Parallax Abstraction

I'm doing a series of this game for my YouTube channel but so far I'm loving it. It's more of the same in many ways but in the best ways. More story, more environments, more characters, more weapons. It's also apparently twice as long as the first game. I'm lucky I guess in that my experience has been rock solid so far, which is definitely wasn't in the first one. If you liked the first game, I wholeheartedly recommend this one. My channel's in my signature if you want to see a bit of it in action.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 8, 2015, 18:33 Parallax Abstraction

In other words, status quo for Salon.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Link Announced
2. Re: Steam Link Announced Mar 3, 2015, 20:02 Parallax Abstraction

Does it support 5.1 audio yet? The only reason I don't use in-home streaming more to my TV is because it only outputs stereo.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
8. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 14:31 Parallax Abstraction

I wonder if Unity 5 finally has the power to make games that don't look two generations old. From what I understand, Unity's a joy to work with but everything that comes out on it looks so damn dated.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 15:15 Parallax Abstraction

They are funded by venture capital so they pretty much have to have one. Once a company reaches a certain size, it's pretty much a guaranteed thing to happen anyway, unless it's owned in full by one or two people.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball Feb 20, 2015, 13:08 Parallax Abstraction

I really hope this game can build up a decent community. It's an absolute blast to play.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch to Unlock Content
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch to Unlock Content Feb 18, 2015, 22:44 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 19:51:
Did they ever get performance under control? I am a fan of the AC series, but totally skipped this.

I got this for free with a GTX 970 last year and just started playing it tonight. On Ultra textures with most AA turned up, it doesn't hold 60fps at 1080p but it's pretty close and it looks damn impressive. At it's patched tonight, it seems pretty decent. If this update improves it more, I'll be quite pleased.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 17, 2015, 22:44 Parallax Abstraction

Must be a slow news day, I can't remember the last time I saw that hack Pachter quoted somewhere. Was hoping that was finally over.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Daybreak Layoffs
8. Re: Daybreak Layoffs Feb 11, 2015, 23:03 Parallax Abstraction

Good old Vulture Capital doing what it does best.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2015, 11:57 Parallax Abstraction

We bought a Sony smart TV last Summer. It's software is far from perfect but yeah, despite losing buckets of money, they're doing nothing like this. Samsung is wildly profitable and is doing this. That's just contempt for their customers. I've been less than impressed with the quality of various categories of Samsung products lately. Definitely done purchasing anything from them for a good while.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > EA Montreal Layoffs
2. Re: EA Montreal Layoffs Feb 6, 2015, 23:17 Parallax Abstraction

Fantaz wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 22:27:
it seems as if game companies are slowly pulling out of both Montreal and Vancouver lately?

I'm not sure if they actually did it or not but the Quebec government has been mulling around the idea of removing or reducing the insane tax credits that game companies get for setting up shop there. I know many (including Ubisoft who is far and away the game industry's biggest employer in the province) have said they'd scale back or leave if that happened. As for Vancouver, I think on average it's actually more expensive to live there than San Francisco now. I think a lot of people in the games industry just can't afford to live there.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 5, 2015, 11:00 Parallax Abstraction

And once again, the Greenlight community proves why that service is so broken.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
1. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 09:56 Parallax Abstraction

"High performance graphics" and Unity are not too words you hear together normally.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Writer Leaves Gearbox
12. Re: Borderlands 2 Writer Leaves Gearbox Jan 30, 2015, 21:10 Parallax Abstraction

Now Gearbox will have to find someone else to write an entire game based around dumb memes they find on Reddit.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 11:49 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:16:
Robb seems like his heart is in the right place, but just as that 2K representative lurked at the back of the room, a massive corporation with stock and investors looms over the whole operation.

Tells you all you need to know.

Hey, Robb? Think about who you shack up with next time, and maybe people won't think badly of you?

To be fair, they didn't have a lot of say in dealing with 2K. They were to be published by THQ and 2K bought Evolve when THQ went bankrupt. They also own the IP. This feels like something Turtle Rock doesn't have a lot of say in.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
6. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 14:37 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 14:16:
Free upgrade means you can upgrade to 10 for a year and it will cost money after or does it mean after the 1 year up you have to pay in order to keep using 10?

Also Microsoft mentioning Windows 10 as a service somehow doesn't give me all the warm and fuzzy feeling about the future of the OS.

From what I'm reading, it's been confirmed that the free upgrade is permanent and though they're using the term "Windows as a service", Windows 10 will not have any subscription fees. It might be an option but if you buy a permanent license or get the free upgrade, you just buy it and use it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3348 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo