Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3259 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > I Am Alive PC Edition Lives
9. Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives Aug 23, 2012, 22:46 Parallax Abstraction

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 22:34:
I shall pirate this. I want those 95% numbers to climb to 100%

Yeah, cause making yourself part of the problem is totally going to convince them that DRM is a bad idea.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Broken Sword Kickstarter
17. Re: Broken Sword Kickstarter Aug 23, 2012, 19:53 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:27:
Funcom needs to stop making MMOs and Kickstart Longest Journey 3.

Ragnar Tornquist was today retweeting a bunch of people who were saying that he should do exactly that. I don't know if given Funcom's recent troubles, that it was some kind of subtle hint of something. I really hope it was. Despite the moon logic puzzles, The Longest Journey is still me favourite game of all-time for story.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Confessions from the Most Corrupt Apple Store in America. Aug 22, 2012, 18:52 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 17:02:
Wow, WTF. So glad I don't own any Apple products. Of course it's possible to encounter douchebags at any retail shop, but the image Apple promulgates just seems to breed contempt.

I don't like Apple or the kind of smug customer base they breed but to be fair, this is a story from Gizmodo, one of the biggest hack sites on the Internet and it's all through conveniently "anonymous" sources. Coming from them, there's as good a chance this is complete BS as not.

That said, I used to be a manager within Geek Squad and this is not at all limited to Apple stores. Retail is shit work and stores hire the cheapest staff they can. Combined with the disgusting, patronising culture these companies operate with, that usually results in inept, apathetic staff who are only interested in doing what they have to do in order to get a paycheque. When a customer is rude to them (either rightly or wrongly), often there first reaction is for revenge and thus, crap like what's in the story happens.

At the Best Buy store I was once assigned to (part of Best Buy Canada which is head and shoulders above the US group in terms of service quality), we had multiple techs who screwed up customer machines worse (cause they didn't know what they were doing) and never held to account for it, multiple guys were caught stealing and they were always bitching about customers, many of whom were just upset that they brought a computer in, waited two weeks, got it back in worse shape and were still expected to pay for it.

This crap is why retail (at least in electronics) is dying off. If you want to sell expensive products but hire staff who will work for barely more than minimum wage, this is the kind of skill and commitment to customers you will get. Pay human wages, get talented people and build up customer loyalty and you'll do better in the long run. Best Buy et al. are learning this and once the fashion bubble around Apple products bursts, they'll learn it too.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
11. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:56 Parallax Abstraction

According to Interplay's new official Twitter feed (@InterplayGames), there actually was a Kickstarter for a Battle Chess revival that doesn't have their name on it but they were apparently involved with in some way. I never heard of it until now (and I follow Kickstarter way more than I should) and it only hit 16% of it's relatively modest goal.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Name Revived
1. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 13:43 Parallax Abstraction

Interplay is running pretty much on hopes and dreams and the continued means of the crooked Caen brothers to avoid getting put in jail. The company's got basically no revenue and is millions upon millions in debt but they're going to be able to put out something under Black Isle? Yeah sure. Funny enough, when I commented on this to Brian Fargo on Twitter, he told me that apparently Interplay won a number of millions of dollars in their settlement with Bethesda (I don't think they was ever revealed in the settlement itself), yet they seem to have spent none of it paying down the company's massive liabilities. Likely the Caens just pocketed it and are hoping to string investors along by making it look like they're bringing one of Interplay's former bright spots back. These two so deserve to be penniless.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Train Simulator 2013 Next Month
4. Re: Train Simulator 2013 Next Month Aug 15, 2012, 13:56 Parallax Abstraction

OFF DA RAILZ!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer
10. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

Free-to-play, meaning likely no campaign. Well, there goes any interest I had in that project.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Iron Brigade
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Iron Brigade Aug 13, 2012, 22:52 Parallax Abstraction

I finished it on Xbox a while back with some friends. Definitely play it co-op, 4 players if at all possible. It's a neat twist on tower defence and has a ton of customisation but it's not nearly as fun solo. If I recall, the PC version also includes the Martian Bear DLC but for the same price as just the base Xbox version so it's a better deal on PC too.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 13, 2012, 14:57 Parallax Abstraction

AnointedSword wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:32:
Real leaders take responsibility for their actions. This guy had full reign for two years and made our debt skyrocket. This is all on public record and can be verified. The media is not going to go against their guy;stop drinking the coolaid and research for yourselves.

Did Bush, Clinton and Greenspan? ever take responsibility for leading the US into the mess you're in before passing the buck to Obama? Didn't think so. Well, Greenspan kind of did, but not really.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
17. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 10, 2012, 12:35 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 09:18:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 20:51:
Given that the vast majority of iOS games fail miserably (Mark Rein himself said the average title without publisher backing grosses $700), you are not at all guaranteed to be profitable.

There's a few reasons for that.
1. There's a bazillion shitty games to sift through to find the good ones.
2. Most of them have shitty controls, so it's tough to judge whether a game is actually good or not.
3. Review sites (that have gameplay videos) mostly don't show a game being played in hand... they show the full screen. They need to show both. I find myself going to youtube looking to see how it plays / controls in hand. Out of hundreds of games reviewed on just one review site alone, I found 10 potentials... that I still have to do further research on before I'd consider buying.

I can see all of those reasons being big factors but no one seems to be rushing to address them, least of all the platform holders like Apple and Google. It's a huge problem and one of the main reasons I believe mobile's in a bubble right now but no one seems to care to fix it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline
18. Re: U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline Aug 10, 2012, 10:52 Parallax Abstraction

Iurand wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 07:54:
I, For One, Welcome Our New .99$ Mobile Overlords.

When they learn how to make games with depth and leave out the disgusting skinner box microtransactions mechanics, I will as well.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline
8. Re: U.S. Retail Game Sales Continue Decline Aug 10, 2012, 00:29 Parallax Abstraction

Let's not forget that in addition to everything Ray's mentioned (amazes me how the enthusiast press seems to completely forget there's still a massive recession on, particularly so in Europe), July is normally one of the slowest months of the year and almost nothing came out. I remember when this used to be the Summer doldrums but now it's all DOOOOOOM from the enthusiast press. Ridiculous.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes
11. Re: Epic Forms Impossible Studios from Big Huge Ashes Aug 9, 2012, 20:51 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 19:03:
Mobile development is where it's at. You're not going to make triple A blockbusters, but you're going to be profitable and you're gonna have a job.

Given that the vast majority of iOS games fail miserably (Mark Rein himself said the average title without publisher backing grosses $700), you are not at all guaranteed to be profitable. The major advantage of course is the cost of getting in is much lower which mitigates risk (though not for long at the rate Apple and companies like Epic are trying to drive tech that needs massive budgets on iOS) but it's not the gold rush cash cow everyone seems to think it is. If you don't get co-promotion through Apple (i.e. what Infinity Blade did) or end up in their top 25 lists (which are dominated by the same, largely publisher-backed titles), few are going to notice you and fewer are going to buy in. Granted, this is not the case with Epic because they somehow managed to sell a lot of their $8 pretty looking, ultra-repetitive, skinner box driven tech demo. I have played a number of iOS games I really like but the Infinity Blade titles are awful and demonstrate the worst micro-transaction driving aspects of iOS gaming.

The thing I find odd is that these guys are apparently calling Infinity Blade: Dungeons their first release. Wasn't this announced well before 38 Studios even collapsed? It actually looks neat (it seems to be a totally different game than the previous two, maybe one with actual game play this time) but I thought someone else was doing it. It is still awesome that Epic picked them up though and I hope they can make a good go of it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Battle.net Security Breach
26. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 9, 2012, 20:27 Parallax Abstraction

The always-on cloud future, welcome everybody! This is going to happen more and more.

Between this and the massive disappointment that Diablo 3 was for me, I think I'm just done with Blizzard for a while. My company phone doesn't support their authenticator (it's a BlackBerry that's actually too new) and there's no way I'm paying for an authenticator just because they can't keep their crap secure. I'd sooner just shut off my Battle.net account entirely.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > U.S. Digital Sales Up
6. Re: U.S. Digital Sales Up Aug 9, 2012, 11:40 Parallax Abstraction

NPD's march to irrelevance continues. This is like their retail numbers which until very recently, never included some of the biggest retailers like Wal-Mart. If there are multiple distributors that aren't sharing numbers, everything they make is a guess, meaning it's useless as any kind of industry measurement metric.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 20:47 Parallax Abstraction

I expected better from Ars Technica than cherry-picking stats to have an excuse to write another Apple fellating article. Shame to see Ben Kuchera at Penny Arcade Report (who seems to think himself the saviour of game journalism) judge this article worthy of "The Cut" which are basically articles from other sites that he deems worthy of his higher standards. There's more than a billion Windows PCs right now. If we want to consider anything that can play games as a "gaming platform" (which I think is fair), then it's far and away the most popular, with Facebook following closely behind. Guys, Apple's doing fine without bullshit attempts at free PR from the tech press. Or do you have a quota to meet, lest you not get invited to the next hand-picked press reveal?

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2012, 20:52.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Irrational Departures
2. Re: Irrational Departures Aug 8, 2012, 20:43 Parallax Abstraction

PropheT wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:38:
I think it just means that Kotaku wants to generate more hits.

Yep, Kotaku being Kotaku. People switch jobs, it happens and this late in the project, it's easier for people in senior positions like theirs to move on without derailing things as the foundation's already been laid.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles
1. Re: Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles Aug 8, 2012, 20:41 Parallax Abstraction

I'd like to see them take another crack at Mafia but I'm surprised as I thought Take-Two wasn't at all pleased with how the second one performed.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
13. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

I love DayZ but if thi follows the standard trend of most Bohemia projects, it will come out basically unplayable and require months of beta patches just to get it to a decent state. I hope I'm wrong though, they'd be stupid to squander the massive community that's formed around this game.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
8. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 6, 2012, 21:08 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 20:21:
This prompted George Broussard to tweet: "THQ is done. Will just be a year or so going through the paces. Will see how Darkstalker 2 team fares post ship."

George knows all about spinning around the drain. He's clearly an expert at it...

It amazes me how Broussard doesn't see the irony in the snide comments he makes about other companies given how he managed to burn through millions of dollars in proceeds and drive 3DRealms into the ground, all in the aid of releasing what is arguably one of the worst AAA targeted games in the last decade. Cripes, he can't even spell the name of their next title properly. The guy's one of the few people in this industry possibly less useless for predictions than Pachter.

I feel worse for Del Toro. The man's an amazing and incredible passionate creative force and he's had so many various projects killed off in the last few years, stuff that could have been amazing but didn't have enough "broad appeal". Hopefully he can find someone to help him finish InSane, though I'm guessing probably not, at least not soon. No one in AAA wants to take risks anymore.

EDIT: Also Blue, I've read in multiple other places that THQ pulled in a $15.4M profit this quarter, not lessened losses. They're actually making money and did so this quarter with no new releases. Catalogue sales only.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2012, 21:37.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3259 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo