Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare Founders Retire
21. Re: BioWare Founders Retire Sep 18, 2012, 20:21 Parallax Abstraction

It's been almost 5 years since EA bought them. I wager they had a 5 year employment agreement and after the SWTOR failure plus operating in the EA monolith, they decided enough was enough and didn't renew it. They've both got more money than they could ever spend so I can't blame them for deciding to enjoy it. They were instrumental guys in BioWare but they were only 2 many hundreds if not thousands. Hopefully EA doesn't push the stake in the rest of the way.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2012, 11:09 Parallax Abstraction

Can't speak to other places but here in Canada, "superphone" is a bullshit marketing term coined by the cell phone carriers to advertise their highest-end models. Now it's the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 and Lumia 920, next year it'll be some other batch.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 16, 2012, 20:42 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 19:56:
That's their bread and butter!

Is it though? That happened with the Wii but even they weren't expecting the level of success it got and I'd guess (OK, more like hope) that they aren't crazy enough to think that will happen again to the same extent. A lot of their reveal the other day focused on more hardcore titles and the TVii thing seemed to be the more mainstream thing they were hyping. I think they'll definitely get some casuals but I think they know that this time, hardcore appeal is what will keep the system in people's minds. Whether or not they can pull it off is another guess but I think that's their goal.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:48 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:31:
Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 15:46:
Must be a day for butt-stupid articles here on Bluesnews. Between this and the FBI entrapment one, I don't know which one is more ludicrous.

I know right. I was thinking, 'Is it April Fools or something?' Guess it's just Derp Day for articles.

AllThingsD is to the tech press what Fox is to news. They take otherwise benign or unimportant points and blow them all out of proportion to generate clicks through controversy. They're also to Apple what Fox is to Republicans beyond that. They're an embarrassment to what little is left of journalism in the enthusiast press.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Delayed
8. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 03:11:
I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one.

Please deposit your gamer credentials in the box to your right before heading outside to the re-education van.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
22. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 16:26 Parallax Abstraction

Kicktraq is trending this to reach $11,000,000. Now admittedly, they haven't figured out full trending logic yet and it doesn't take into account the fact that there's usually a big dip in the middle of the campaign followed by a spike at the end so it probably won't get to that level. But it is definitely set to beat the goal be a large margin. As in millions.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam?
8. Re: Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam? Sep 14, 2012, 09:02 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 22:45:
If true, this is somewhat surprising. I thought MS published this? Usually such games never see the light of day on PC.

There have been a few games recently that were published by Microsoft on Xbox but where the developers retained control for PC releases. Hopefully that's the case here.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam?
2. Re: Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam? Sep 13, 2012, 21:58 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 21:31:
I've been hearing good things about this game.

It's fantastic. They made a stealth game that doesn't feel super slow paced but also rewards not going in guns blazing. I'm really enjoying it on 360 and would happily buy it again on PC.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > First Steam Greenlight Selections
34. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 11, 2012, 22:26 Parallax Abstraction

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:08:
It reminds me of the DNF fanboys...

Those existed?!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
8. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 19:16 Parallax Abstraction

Dades wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:43:
Any time I've submitted a support ticket with Steam it's been fast and painless but I've only ever needed to do that once or twice.

This is only the third ticket I've ever had to submit. The first one was a number of years ago and it was handled quickly. These latter two, not so much. From what I've seen from other people, your experience is either awful or fantastic, there's no middle ground.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
4. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 18:36 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 14:55:
Sounds like the best company to work for ever. As a customer though, it leaves a bit to be desired.

Basically this. I generally love the service experience but what they call "support" is hilariously bad. I submitted a ticket to them 6 days ago for a refund on Home because it turns out the game has a known compatibility issue with my sound card that causes it to run mute, one the author says he isn't going to fix. Not even an acknowledgement. Their site says they have "high ticket volume", which it's has for months. Same crap you get when you call a big telco's support line. When searching my e-mail for the ticket number, I found another ticket I submitted a couple years back for a problem with the Steam client itself. It literally never got a response and was automatically closed after a month. The whole "choose your job" thing sounds great except when it comes to things like customer service which is a job few would put themselves in. This isn't some tiny indie with no budget, it's bloody Valve. The support experience should equal everything else that makes them great.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
43. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 9, 2012, 11:13 Parallax Abstraction

If your story relies both on the basically useless NPD numbers and a quote from Michael Pachter who is arguably even more useless, I don't really think you get to call yourself a journalist.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2012, 19:26 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 18:57:
Hey Amazon how about getting them north of the border you cocksuckers?

Seriously! I'm very interested in looking into one but they don't seem to care about competing globally like well, every other tablet.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > G4 Makeover Coming?
1. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 09:50 Parallax Abstraction

Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 6, 2012, 23:25 Parallax Abstraction

Lorcin wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 21:08:
I don't know how to feel about amd/ati going out of business. They've pretty much always (apart from a few products) been the less stable, worse performing but crucially CHEAPER version of intel/nvidia.

I can't say I'd miss them - but intel/nvidia do need some form of competition.

Despite the guy's headline, he points out how the idea of them going out of business is kind of misleading. They're actually still profitable with very healthy margins, though both are sliding. He said it actually doesn't make much sense that their stock is continuing to drop given their current situation but that the market seems to be punishing them for not very great reasons. The market's such a mess right now. So many people think the world economy is doing great because they see the rare success story abberation like Apple and Samsung when in fact everything's still pretty grim but the market doesn't seem to want to admit it for some reason. I hope AMD can recover. They do still make some good, well priced products (the laptops I manage at work run AMD APUs and they're great) and Intel needs someone to keep them honest.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 23:30.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop
17. Re: NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop Sep 6, 2012, 09:19 Parallax Abstraction

NPD has been an irrelevant joke for years and with rising digital distribution, they continue to be. If the next consoles allow people to digitally buy every title, there won't be a shred of useful data coming out of that organisation anymore.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM
16. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 11:25 Parallax Abstraction

Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:24:
So should I pick up Anno 2070 now? Thinking2

Anno 2070 never had the always-on requirement. It uses Tages which has limited activations and I believe that's not going anywhere.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
4. Re: Labor Day Tech Bits Sep 3, 2012, 18:45 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, there's still a massive worldwide recession going on. I love how the fanboy tech press thinks that because a couple of companies (i.e. Apple and Samsung) are doing well, that all of a sudden everything must be doing tip top. Most of the world economy is a disaster and the US is still sliding backward. People don't have a lot of money and aren't spending it on luxury items. If Apple's biggest manufacturing partner isn't doing well, that says a boatload.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gotham City Impostors Goes Free-to-Play
6. Re: Gotham City Impostors Goes Free-to-Play Aug 31, 2012, 12:21 Parallax Abstraction

I own the paid version but I don't feel burned because I bought it for like $5 on a sale. It's also very nice to see them ditch the GFWL plague that the original one had. The gameplay was absolutely fantastic and I really enjoyed it's kooky aesthetic but very few played it on PC. The model really lends itself to free-to-play so hopefully this gets people back into it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2012, 15:20 Parallax Abstraction

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 11:15:
"HP continues to flounder"

What the carp are those guys doing over there?

Their board is staffed by idiots who don't seem to understand the business they're in. They've been through CEO after CEO, none of whom seem to understand what they're doing. The last guy was fired for deciding that it was a smart move for HP to exit a business they were #1 in (PCs), buy Palm for a ton of money and then ditch everything they bought because the TouchPad didn't immediately sell better than the iPad. Then they brought in someone who decided to reverse that but what's her pedigree? Running eBay, a company that couldn't be less related to what HP does and which like HP, is also a shadow of its former self. I don't know how you can get and stay so big and yet still be so clueless.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo