Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3159 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 21, 2012, 18:55 Parallax Abstraction

But, I've been reading everywhere from legitimate tech journalists who are totally not Apple fanboys at all that infections of Flashback have been dropping like a rock and that as a result, it's not at all a sign that Macs are actually not much more secure than PCs. And this was after I was greatly reassured because these same journalists said it was malware and not a virus and we all know malware is a totally different thing that's hardly worth fretting over. I mean, they're journalists, they wouldn't be biased right? ...right?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Apr 21, 2012, 13:31 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 08:56:
Remember, the whole point of doing these enhanced editions (of MDK and baldurs gate, and other stuff they picked up cheap from interplay) for them is NOT to actually sell a bunch of them, but to get market share for beamdog digital distribution platform. If they wanted to sell lots of copies and get a chunk of change, they'd put it on steam.

Have they actually said that it won't be on Steam when it comes out? I'm sure it will be on Beamdog but Atari's publishing it and they've traditionally put all their stuff out on Steam. I don't see how putting this stuff out on iPad (which they continue to pimp as if it's the only release for this, they only mention PC in a muffled tone afterward) helps Beamdog get any exposure either.

I can see how these games could work with a touch interface but without hotkeys and such, play will definitely be slow and inefficient. My girlfriend has an iPad 2 and every touch game I've played (including some highly rated ones) have been laggy and imprecise.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 20, 2012, 15:35 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 12:27:
There really wasn't any worthwhile title released in Q1 for the xbox either so that may also effected the sales. I think May will turn that around when Max Payne, Ghost Recon, gets released.
With E3 approaching probably a lot of people are anticipating an announcement from M$ about a new console.

Microsoft has definitively said that there will be no new hardware announced at E3 or "any time soon". Until recently, I thought that was fine as the last thing the AAA industry needs right now is even higher budgets but now the iPress is going on about how the iPad 3 is supposedly as powerful as a 360 (which is hilarious in how wrong that is) and that in a couple of years, we'll all be using tablets instead of consoles for all our gaming anyway. These guys need new hardware just to shut those idiots up.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 20, 2012, 09:12 Parallax Abstraction

The overwhelming amount of Apple fanboyism that's infected the tech press is disgusting. I've all but given up on the tech press save a couple of sites that can actually talk about Apple without gushing like schoolgirls at a boy band concert.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Human Head Off Prey 2?
20. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 20, 2012, 09:10 Parallax Abstraction

Dades wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 07:46:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 06:04:
Everyone is jumping on the Bethesda hate-train lately but if you sign a contract you should fulfill it, not whine about wanting better terms. Same goes for Obsidian and the metacritic thing with Fallout: New Vegas.

And the "scrolls" shit is needed because US trademark law is so fucked.

Bethesda are a business like any other, no more or less evil.

You can't just throw around the word business to excuse all corporate misdeeds and bad PR moves. When they do something shitty people are going to talk about it, stop bleating about a hate train.

This. "It's just business" has become the universal excuse for why companies do shit things and it's not good enough. That you're representing some corporate brand is not an excuse to not be a bloody person.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2012, 22:24 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 13:48:
Apple is evil. Whoever supports them is worse than Hitler!

Man, that's a scary amount of little Hitlers we have in the world right now...

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Human Head Off Prey 2?
7. Re: Human Head Off Prey 2? Apr 19, 2012, 22:19 Parallax Abstraction

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 21:58:
If they had problems with the deal, why did they agree to it in the first place? The time for negotiations was before they signed, not halfway through development.

Unless there's more to this, it doesn't seem like a smart move.

From what I've read elsewhere (unsubstantiated of course), Bethesda has a history of screwing with their development partners, changing terms mid way through projects, withholding milestone payments and generally hoping to bleed developers to the brink so they can try to force them into less favourable terms in the interests of their survival. Given the torrent of garbage that is the majority of Bethesda releases not created in house, I'd say there's a chance this is true. As bad as Rogue Warrior was, I guarantee you there's an untold story behind why it also switched developers mid way. Despite being one of the smaller publishers, they don't seem like the greatest people to work with.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2012, 21:19 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 20:05:
I guess its the apple fanboy crowd jumping in.

Man, speaking of a great example of a bubble...

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 18, 2012, 17:41 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 13:04:
I don't have an iPhone so I don't know how their version upgrades go, but I've heard anecdotally that iPhone 3Gs can run iOS5 but do so very, very poorly.

I don't and likely never will own an iPhone but I know a number of people who have or still do. Any iPhone that's 2 years old or more becomes significantly slower with the iOS update that comes out with the newest one. The 3GS running iOS 5 was a bit of a mess that got corrected to a point but generally Apple is not concerned with supporting any product more than 2 years old. Referred to by many as the Apple Treadmill. Given that we have 3 year cell phone contracts in Canada, that's a major problem. Honestly, Android's not much better though and Windows Phone probably will end up a similar way. Forced obsolescence is what's making the cell phone makers their massive profits right now and allowing people to keep their phones for any kind of reasonable time period screws with their business model. Pretty sad.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Space Quest Creators Plan New Adventure
19. Re: Space Quest Creators Plan New Adventure Apr 15, 2012, 22:05 Parallax Abstraction

I probably beat the original Space Quest EGA version about a dozen times. I am so stoked to see something from these guys again. Pleasepleaseplease don't be another crappy iOS game...  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Apple's Cook Visits Valve?
24. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 07:09 Parallax Abstraction

I'm not at all worried about this at this point. CEOs of successful companies actually just visit each other all the time, often just to see some neat things and just talk shop and strategy. You rarely ever hear about it but it happens all the time. The tech press is just so full of Apple fanboys cramming to make front page stories out of what Tim Cook had for lunch that they got wind of this and made a big deal out of it. Gabe Newell is very successful and at this point, none of the major stakeholders in Valve are hurting for money. I think they'd rather have the freedom of corporate independence.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 08:21 Parallax Abstraction

Can Microsoft come back...the #1 desktop operating system in the world by far, #1 Office suite, #1 non-Wii console, #1 server OS, admittedly a weak position in the mobile market but one they could claw into with good marketing and developer backing. Everything I've heard about Windows Phone 7 is very positive and a lot of people will probably be looking to dump Android soon if that mess continues as it is. Microsoft is not exactly the underdog here. Once the hipster fashion trend that is driving Apple's current unsustainable hypergrowth flattens out and their growth gets realistic, Microsoft will still have work to do but they're far from needing to "come back" from anything.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > PC Dark Souls for August?
9. Re: PC Dark Souls for August? Apr 7, 2012, 20:52 Parallax Abstraction

Sacrifex wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 15:53:
Day one buy for me if the port is done well.

I have a friend who considered Dark Souls to be one of his favourite games ever and he's been playing games almost 30 years like I have. I've always respected what that game tries to do but I could never get into it. The menus on the console versions are tough to manage and if the port is good and they retool them well for mouse, I would take a shot at it again on PC. I haven't seen any announcement of who is doing the port but From Software only has 2 PC titles to their name, one of which was a half-assed port of Ninja Blade. I'd definitely have to see video of the port quality before I put money down but if it's good, I'll try it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > PC Ms. Splosion Man This Summer
1. Re: PC Ms. Splosion Man This Summer Apr 6, 2012, 10:39 Parallax Abstraction

Wow, really surprised to see them doing an iPad version given that they were just bought by Microsoft recently.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached
8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 5, 2012, 22:41 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 22:01:
KS may not change publishing overnight, but I'd be surprised if people aren't taking notice by now.

I don't think this will ever replace the traditional game publishing model but I think that any publisher that isn't paying close attention to this phenomena does so at their own peril.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 5, 2012, 15:55 Parallax Abstraction

Jdrez wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:57:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 09:27:
I've always said the only reason there isn't a massive virus problem on Macs is because they made up such a tiny part of the market that no one cared. Now that they're about to inch over 10%, there's suddenly enough of them to take advantage of. If anything, your average Mac user (not power user of course) will be more likely to be taken advantage of by those fake AV products because since they arrogantly think their platform never gets viruses, they'll jump on anything that says they have to deal with one. Their platform is as insecure as Windows or any other, it just wasn't a big enough target.

Apple's carefully crafted reputation of being the more secure platform that "just works" is going to unravel more and more the bigger they get. I can't wait to see the iCult's reasons to be smarmy start to evaporate.

OSX's higher security claims come from being a Unix platform and requiring a password be typed to install or change almost everything on the system.

Only now with Vista/7 has windows finally implemented that. The amount of spaghetti code in Windows is astounding, given there's source going all the way back to NT4 still in there. Macs aren't bulletproof, but Windows is basically swiss cheese.

Any software that can be written can be cracked. Windows is potentially less secure but dominating the market also makes it a big target. The more popular Macs get, the more hackers will focus on it and the more holes will be found and exploited. Given that Apple doesn't have the massive security response department that Microsoft has, this could become a big problem for them if they don't get on it soon.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 5, 2012, 09:27 Parallax Abstraction

I've always said the only reason there isn't a massive virus problem on Macs is because they made up such a tiny part of the market that no one cared. Now that they're about to inch over 10%, there's suddenly enough of them to take advantage of. If anything, your average Mac user (not power user of course) will be more likely to be taken advantage of by those fake AV products because since they arrogantly think their platform never gets viruses, they'll jump on anything that says they have to deal with one. Their platform is as insecure as Windows or any other, it just wasn't a big enough target.

Apple's carefully crafted reputation of being the more secure platform that "just works" is going to unravel more and more the bigger they get. I can't wait to see the iCult's reasons to be smarmy start to evaporate.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2012, 16:14 Parallax Abstraction

Oh look, another article citing the rare iOS hit as proof that everything needs to go mobile to succeed. I don't deny they the AAA industry has major problems right now, major problems. But this guy just puts his head on the sand on several key issues. Firstly, that you have about as much chance of making a hit mobile game as you do winning the lottery. Mark Rein (who helps run a company with one of the most successful iOS games) recently said the average iOS game released grosses a whopping $700. Even if he's wrong and it's 10 times that, Hell 20 times that, it's not enough to make a living off of and versus time invested, is a pretty crap rate of return. Angry Birds and Draw Something are fluke's in the grand scheme of iOS and the fact is, unless you have publisher backing, lots of marketing money or are lucky enough to get co-promotion from Apple (i.e. get on the iTunes staff picks list or appear in an ad), you will very likely lose money, a lot of it.

That's not a problem for the indie guy making a game in his spare time but it means that anyone trying to start a development studio has a lot of risk. Had OMGPOP not had a freak hit with Draw Something, they probably couldn't have afforded many more failure before they went out of business. Everyone who is saying iOS is taking over the world is now talking about how the iPad 3 is as powerful as a 360, seemingly glossing over how expensive games that look like that cost to make. If another technical arms race starts on iOS, that industry is going to be in the same place in a few years where it will all be high-risk/high-reward and you're going to need publishers funding your games in order to get them made. It's the same cycle all over again.

The current AAA industry (and especially the console makers) have to wake up and adapt to the future. But claiming like this guy does (along with the rest of the enthusiast press) that iOS is the future of everything and citing flash-in-the-pan hits as examples of why is Bobby Kotick level of short-sighted thinking.

Parallax Abstraction

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2012, 15:57 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 14:34:
The development budgets are pretty flat really. It's the marketing costs that are the problem. Any game that needs to spend 50-100 million on marketubg doesn't have a very good product. Good products sell themselvse.

There's a million examples of great games (both critically and from the point of view of those that did play them) that bombed. Marketing is valuable and necessary but I agree that spending more on that than you did on the game is beyond ridiculous.

Parallax Abstraction

3. Re: Next-gen consoles mean increased development costs, this is a repeat Apr 3, 2012, 13:21 Parallax Abstraction

JeffD wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 12:58:
I've heard this exact same headline for when the ps2 came out, the ps3, and now the ps4 generation. However in todays world it could never be more false.

Thing is, development costs have gone WAY up though. It didn't cost $30-$50M to make a game before marketing in the PS2/Xbox generation. I don't see how having greater technology (not just in GPU power but CPU power and what that means for level size and complexity) will not result in higher costs. With the exception of a handful of publishers, the AAA industry is bleeding money and the ones that are in the black are only so because of a couple of key franchises. When those franchises are no longer fashionable, they're going to have a real hard time making money.

I don't want to see AAA games go away because as good as indie games are, they simply cannot deliver experiences like Skyrim or Mass Effect. But the AAA industry can barely make money, even being almost totally averse to risk as they are. I don't know how this is going to continue.

Parallax Abstraction

3159 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo