Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3222 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles
1. Re: Rumored Mafia 3 on Rumored Next-Gen Consoles Aug 8, 2012, 20:41 Parallax Abstraction

I'd like to see them take another crack at Mafia but I'm surprised as I thought Take-Two wasn't at all pleased with how the second one performed.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
13. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

I love DayZ but if thi follows the standard trend of most Bohemia projects, it will come out basically unplayable and require months of beta patches just to get it to a decent state. I hope I'm wrong though, they'd be stupid to squander the massive community that's formed around this game.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > THQ Results: InSane Cancelled
8. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 6, 2012, 21:08 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 20:21:
This prompted George Broussard to tweet: "THQ is done. Will just be a year or so going through the paces. Will see how Darkstalker 2 team fares post ship."

George knows all about spinning around the drain. He's clearly an expert at it...

It amazes me how Broussard doesn't see the irony in the snide comments he makes about other companies given how he managed to burn through millions of dollars in proceeds and drive 3DRealms into the ground, all in the aid of releasing what is arguably one of the worst AAA targeted games in the last decade. Cripes, he can't even spell the name of their next title properly. The guy's one of the few people in this industry possibly less useless for predictions than Pachter.

I feel worse for Del Toro. The man's an amazing and incredible passionate creative force and he's had so many various projects killed off in the last few years, stuff that could have been amazing but didn't have enough "broad appeal". Hopefully he can find someone to help him finish InSane, though I'm guessing probably not, at least not soon. No one in AAA wants to take risks anymore.

EDIT: Also Blue, I've read in multiple other places that THQ pulled in a $15.4M profit this quarter, not lessened losses. They're actually making money and did so this quarter with no new releases. Catalogue sales only.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2012, 21:37.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Death Rally Aug 3, 2012, 14:33 Parallax Abstraction

psyq wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 14:12:
So... it's free on Android (admittedly with some useless in-app purchases) and $0.99 on iOS. What is my incentive to pay a 1000% premium to play a non-portable version of the same game? Oh it's on sale... so an 850% premium?

If the port is well done, I'd pay the premium just to play with this with controls that actually work a damn. On-screen buttons and sticks on iOS are awful. I've tried to play that version about half a dozen times and it's incredibly frustrating and barely playable at all there.

EDIT: After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look, I think this will be a sale buy for me.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2012, 14:46.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M
5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M Aug 2, 2012, 20:44 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 20:33:
Cram wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 20:24:
Less and less are willing to pay $15 a month for any MMO it seems. The subscription based model is going the way of the dinosaurs. Love WoW, or ToR, or hate them, the entire genre is losing people.

Heh... I remember when online games (or the online services) were pay per hour.

Anyone remember MPlayer, Total Entertainment Network or Heat.net? Pay by the hour for horrible, laggy matchmaking. Oh those were the days.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Revival Announced
7. Re: Rise of the Triad Revival Announced Aug 2, 2012, 17:33 Parallax Abstraction

I'm cautiously optimistic about this but that trailer looked like crap and this is apparently a UE3 game. Very anxious to see more but if that's the graphical quality, I hope it's not $60.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 16:06 Parallax Abstraction

I switched to Chrome because Firefox was continuing to be bloated and slow (even after they said they'd finally fixed the memory leak for the 1500th time) and one day, my Sync account just broke and they outright acknowledged the problem but refused to fix it. Now I'm thinking of switching back because Chrome's internal sync keep just stopping for no reason unless I unbind my systems and rebind them which results in out of date sync data getting pushed back to them. Tons of people are having the problem and have been forever but it still isn't fixed and Google employees have just stopped posting in their official forums. It's a shame because I like Chrome but Google's getting lazy with it.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Max Payne 3 DLC Plans Reworked
4. Re: Max Payne 3 DLC Plans Reworked Aug 1, 2012, 09:20 Parallax Abstraction

Techie714 wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:51:
I've read before that all DLC is multi-player map packs only. No single player content is scheduled for release.

That's what I read too and yeah, might as well skip it. There isn't much of a multiplayer population for this game and despite Rockstar's promises to clamp down on cheaters, they're still everywhere. It's very hard to play a round of Gang Wars without at least one person with a 100% kill ratio or near to it. The multiplayer has some promising concepts but with the number of people playing it, it's not worth buying DLC for.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
19. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 17:52 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 17:11:
This still surprises me, given Bioware's reluctance to use the F2P model for Warhammer, which has a tiny fraction of the subs of SWTOR. I guess they figure it's a better fit for this more PvE-centric game. I dunno.

This is a completely wild guess but I bet Games Workshop didn't want them to do it, likely out of some stupid idea that it "cheapens their universe" or something. Given the huge success most older MMOs have seen by going free-to-play, that's the only reason I can think of why Warhammer Online never did. That and I suppose they pretty much laid off everyone who had anything to do with making that game.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
4. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 10:59 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:58:
I don't mind multiplatform, but more Gamebryo shit? Damn.

You mean the "all new in-house made Creation Engine"?

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2012, 12:02 Parallax Abstraction

Meet the new iPhone, same as the old iPhone.

(Except with a slightly different finish).

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
9. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 12:01 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently an update was pushed to uPlay this morning which fixes this for what that's worth.

Another shining example of DRM making life hard for honest people while the scumbag thieves get to play the game without any inconvenience whatsoever.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 29, 2012, 15:45 Parallax Abstraction

DangerDog wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:42:
Someone needs to inform Romero that iOS is a piracy platform too.

As is PC yet tons of indie devs seem to be doing just fine there. I've never understood the developers who are whining about Android's apparent piracy problem when they will cheer other platforms piracy is just as easy if not easier on. He's also one of the many Apple advocates who are ignoring the issue more developers are complaining about which is that it's very hard to get noticed on iOS if you aren't on the top 25 lists and that it's becoming more like the AAA industry where a few succeed big and the vast majority fail. Angry Birds, Infinity Blade, Draw Something, these are exceptions, not the rule and the exceptions are getting fewer and fewer all the time. Not many want to admit it because "IOS BE TEH FUTURE OF EERVYTHING!!!" but I'm reading more and more developers talking about how while the cost of entry is still low, your chances of making any real money is pretty slim now if you don't have a publisher or well known brand attached to your game.

Also, not that I think it's unreasonable to doubt OUYA but I'm a wee bit hesitant to outright trust stuff coming from John Romero who has how many failed studios in a row behind him now? 3 I think? He's arguably not had a major success since working with id Software, I'm not sure he has the pulse of the industry anymore.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fez Ports Coming?
19. Re: Fez Ports Coming? Jul 19, 2012, 16:31 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 16:21:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 15:40:
It's like the guys hobby is burning bridges or something.

You think he went to the Derek Smart School Of Asshattery?

Derek hated Indie Game: The Movie because he thought it portrayed all indie developers as whining pricks. True story. He and I debated that over Twitter after I wrote a blog post about it. It was actually a good debate but yeah, I was a bit taken aback by his response, even though Phil Fish definitely helps make his point.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Capcom Vancouver Layoffs
8. Re: Capcom Vancouver Layoffs Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 Parallax Abstraction

This is what happens when you're trying to run a game studio in a city that is now more expensive per capita to live in than San Francisco and parts of New York City.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required
18. Re: BF4 Beta in Fall 2013: MoH Not Required Jul 18, 2012, 11:38 Parallax Abstraction

netnerd85 wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 10:29:
Remeber how awesome Battlefield 1942 was? Remember how awesome Battlefield 2 was? remember how you could/can play some awesome mods for those games.

"Enemy infantry spotted!"
"Enemy boat spotted!"

Yeah, I remember how great that was.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 17, 2012, 09:43 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 09:25:
Skepticism of the Wii U controller, what a revelation, thanks Pachter. Finally repeating what millions of other people have been saying since its inception.

If people like Pachter and Dent are good at nothing else, it's repackaging sentiment that's already been said elsewhere and making it sound as if it's some genius revelation they just had. They're able to play the press like a fiddle and as usual, the outlets trip over themselves for a quote. I'm as sceptical of the WiiU GamePad as anyone else but so were people about the Wii itself. I don't think even Nintendo expect the WiiU to be that kind of success but if history has taught nothing else, it's not to bet against Nintendo.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 13, 2012, 15:42 Parallax Abstraction

Xil wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:31:
guess they got worried about the negative news as they now back to EPEAT again: http://www.apple.com/environment/letter-to-customers/

Having a whole pile of government customers bail on them probably helped change their minds too.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers
7. Re: Vivendi Seeking Activision Buyers Jul 11, 2012, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 11:02:
Moody finds Activision a liability, and if they find the most financial solid publisher in gaming a liability they find the whole market a liability.

That's not what that means necessarily. Liabilities in accounting terms just means debts. For example, your credit card bills, car loan, mortgage etc. are all what banks call "liabilities" because it's money you owe. From what I understand, Vivendi's in pretty heavy debt right now largely due to some of their other operations that aren't profitable and they're looking to sell Activision because it's one of the few major moneymakers they have and they want the cash infusion to prop up the rest of the company. Not to say that they maybe don't also want out of it because they see the AAA market declining but Moody's saying that Activision wants to reduce liabilities likely just means reduce debt. I just checked with my Chartered Accountant girlfriend and she said that's likely what they mean. Doesn't make a huge different to me either way, just food for thought.

EDIT: Dammit Beamer!

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2012, 11:42.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Halo 4 To Work on Surface Tablets
11. Re: Halo 4 To Work on Surface Tablets Jul 10, 2012, 23:29 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:00:
Game on the screen, map on the tablet.

This.

Parallax Abstraction

3222 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo