Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Black Ops II's $500MM Launch
10. Re: Black Ops II's $500MM Launch Nov 16, 2012, 11:32 Parallax Abstraction

I don't care that Call of Duty succeeds. They're competent enough games if only that. What I hate is the amount of amazing titles that struggle or fail because people won't broaden their horizons beyond one or two yearly franchises. It's as much a failing of consumers as anything else. If Call of Duty didn't come out every year, I don't think those people would start discovering and buying a raft of new, more innovative titles. It's a shame.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 11:26:
Cutter wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 10:58:
Hey Curt, free gubment money in Aus. Take 38 down there! Lol!

He should team up with Brandon whatshisname, from Team Bondi.

I think that much fail would result in a black hole that would envelop the continent. And Australia's pretty cool so I'd prefer that not happen.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > AMD for Sale?
3. Re: AMD for Sale? Nov 13, 2012, 22:49 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 21:59:
Well... I hope ATi gets sold off to someone other than nVidia. Even though I mostly run nVidia... the last thing we need is for them to become a monopoly.

I doubt that would even get past regulators to be honest. I thought I read an article recently that said that ATI was one of the only parts of the company actually turning a profit right now so I bet there will be plenty of suitors willing to pick it up. I hope AMD can turn things around. They gave Intel a good run for their money once and they need competition.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 12, 2012, 23:29 Parallax Abstraction

Another clickbaiting GamesIndustry.biz article that provides no context and says "come back for the full article tomorrow where we'll tell you what he really said." I can't remember the last time I was linked to an article from them that wasn't just sensationalist clickbaiting. That site is truly awful.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
57. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:19 Parallax Abstraction

Halo is one of the most overrated series of all time. Terrible, impenetrable story, ugly aesthetic, bad sound design and the movement is so slow it feels like the whole game is on downers. I won't miss it on PC.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed
41. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 15:12 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 12:29:
In this case, a 47% crash is only $1.40, so it's not quite as dramatic as the percentage would suggest. Still, I'd be surprised if THQ survives into 2014.

They've also dropped to under the market cap required to continue being listed on the NASDAQ. They already did a 10:1 reverse stock split in order to maintain compliance once and they can't do it again. Unless they either sell the company or something happens to cause a rally, they'll end up facing delisting again. I really don't know how they can recover from this. They're basically now trying to shepherd their current titles to completion with what they have left on their line of credit (which is something like $60M I think) and $36M in cash. This is to finish development, market them (which usually costs at least as much as development), plus they have to figure out how to make titles for next-gen where budgets will go up even more.

Apparently WWE 13 is selling well though (and it came out too late in the quarter to reflect in these earnings) and their versions of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy usually do well with casuals, plus many seem to think SR3 Full Package will sell well and that's going to be a much higher margin item for them. I dunno though, I don't see how that carries them well into next year though.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2012, 15:22.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter
11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 Parallax Abstraction

No video (which I thought was required on Kickstarter), no screenshots, barebones description and basically Braben going "Remember Elite? Give me a pile of money and I'll make another one." I'd love to see another Elite but at least try to sell me on the idea.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

31. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 09:20 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 08:39:
Apparently the CEO wants to put THQ for sale.

I remember hearing a while back (maybe on the Giant Bombcast) that THQ's been quietly up for sale for a long time now but no one's interested in the company (and their debt), just the IPs and maybe a couple of the studios. At the rate things are going, those parties can just wait until they're bankrupt and get them for practically nothing. Some people on the SaveTHQ.com forums are also speculating that they'll get scooped up by a private equity firm which likely means the games in development will come out, they'll take most of those profits and then cut the company up and sell it off.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2012, 22:45 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:57:
Amazing blog article on the Astrounauts. Should become mandatory reading for every single developer out there.

He makes a good point but I don't think it's quite as simple as he says and I don't think the majority of AAA developers never question what they're doing. It's not like the developers have limitless creative control over the products they make. They should but they don't.

Sure there are a ton of boring, gray/brown shooters. But there's also a billion and one indie 2D platformers with an 8-bit art style that's done out of a lack of art ability as opposed to any intentional, meaningful design choice. Indie games can and should provide a lot of inspiration but they're not all that's right with gaming, nor is AAA all that's wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

8. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:26 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 21:00:
I have always loved THQ. That they made some serious missteps is undeniable, but I own and love a whole lot of their games. Really looking forward to Metro and CoH2; it would be a travesty if they never got released. And yeah, Saints Row needs to be saved. As an aside I may be wishing for the moon here, but can someone (not THQ obviously) give us a proper sequel to the open-ended and super fun Red Faction Guerrilla? Armageddon was such a step back for the series.

All the games mentioned in this story will come out, one way or the other. They're all too far along in development. If THQ goes under, another big publisher will pick up the studios and IPs for pennies on the dollar and put the games out. That they're bleeding money and still delaying the games to ensure they ship in a high quality state is ballsy as Hell but I wonder if it will pay off for them.

I was reading on I think a Gamasutra comment someone saying that THQ has been horribly managed for years, that Farrell's a terrible CEO (hard to deny now) who never understood quality games and that the only thing that carried them this far was the licensed crap they were putting out. When people stopped buying those games, the thing that kept them successful despite themselves went away and now their chickens are coming home to roost. It's such a shame because they have some amazing development talent who knows how to make good games but their management has no idea what it's doing. They let CoH languish for years while pouring money into Homefront (read the recent Polygon story to see that mess) and releasing uDraw the year after the iPad, then wondering why nobody bought it. They even had a chance to lock Respawn Entertainment down but refused to let them keep their IP and lost what's almost a guaranteed cash cow to EA. No one in the press was talking about it back then but every hack analyst like Pachter and Dent are now throwing in their two cents as if they knew this all along.

That the THQ board hasn't run Farrell out of town on a rail yet is a sign that they still don't know what they're doing. I think bringing Jason Rubin in to shepherd these titles to a quality point was a good idea but I fear he was brought in way too late. This industry needs more competition but there seem to be only a small handful that know how to run one of these businesses properly.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:43 Parallax Abstraction

Chris Kohler never seems happier than when he's writing doom and gloom about any non-mobile part of the industry and fellating Apple at the same time but sadly, I think he's right here. LucasArts seems to have been a badly managed nightmare the last few years and every attempt Disney's made at AAA development has flopped hard so I don't see them wanting to keep LucasArts doing that beyond 1313. And unless they seem certain that can bring in big money, they might find it makes more sense to just cancel it at the point it's at or hand it off to another developer. What I saw looked neat, I hope it can get finished. I do fear seeing previously great Star Wars titles reborn as iOS microtransaction skinner boxes though.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sine Mora PC Plans
7. Re: Sine Mora PC Plans Nov 2, 2012, 10:53 Parallax Abstraction

ViRGE wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 05:06:
I've heard a lot of good things about Sine Mora, so this will be worth keeping an eye on.

I played this on 360. It's one of the best shmups in recent years but be warned, it's very hard. If the port is good, I'll be grabbing this again on PC and probably on Vita as well when that comes.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Longest Journey Sequel Plans
6. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 14:07 Parallax Abstraction

The Longest Journey is my favourite story-based game of all time, despite it's many mechanical and puzzle design shortcomings. I also really liked Dreamfall, though it wasn't as good. I am day one on this game, especially if Tornquist is involved. Also nice to see that this is his own studio that licensed the property from Funcom and not Funcom making it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 10:25 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 09:24:
Golwar wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 07:47:
She was naive, panicked and probably got some ill advise. She was without a doubt dumb, but that's it. Don't pretend that you never were.

Her actions got someone fired. I don't recall ever doing that.

To be fair, the guy from Eurogamer quit in protest of his article being edited, he wasn't fired.

That said, I think Eurogamer should have stuck to their guns if they thought they were right and I think Lauren Wainwright's actions have basically proven all the accusations against her as correct. If she felt she was in the right, she wouldn't have tried to erase her frankly ludicrous conflicts of interest away, she would have owned the situation, explained it and let that rest on itself. She didn't even have to apologise, just explain why she thought she was free of conflict and rebut the claims rather than resort to cheap exploitation of Britain's broken libel laws. She's in the wrong and has all but admitted it and she deserves to never work in the games press again.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 10:11 Parallax Abstraction

SAAAAAAAANDYYYYY!!!

Stay safe Blue and everyone who has been affected by this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
14. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 22:33 Parallax Abstraction

Chris Kohler wrote a "clicks through controversy" article? Shocked I say! And his primary source of opinion is the CEO of a free-to-play company that has a vested interest in seeing the current primary way games are sold fail? I'm not naive enough to believe that there isn't massive change going on in the "traditional" games industry right now but like others have said, this is just another doom and gloom article designed to drive traffic by pissing people off. Kohler's a master at this manipulative drivel. Sony and Microsoft aren't perfect by any means but they don't make bets they know they're going to lose. Mobile and free-to-play are viable models that are here to stay but both are in a massive bubble right now, mobile especially and anyone who thinks their current rate of growth will continue indefinitely should go get a job selling sub-prime mortgage backed securities. If you still have doubts, look what happened to Zynga, a company worth more than EA a year ago that everyone thought was the future and whose stock is now worth less than their real estate and equipment within.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2012, 22:45.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Event, Triple XP Weekend
2. Re: Max Payne 3 Event, Triple XP Weekend Oct 26, 2012, 15:17 Parallax Abstraction

Hackers are all this game ever had.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Revised Windows Store Policy Allows PEGI-18 Games
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 26, 2012, 10:01 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 09:42:
Kitkoan wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 22:53:
deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 21:49:
A reminder that can Microsoft revise it's policy whenever, and to whatever, whether you agree or disagree.

"Sorry, that's our policy." Yaaaa, I love that line. /sarcasm

Better then Apple polices that change on the drop of a hat.

"Your app is approved." fix a bug but change nothing of the real game "Your app is denied for violating our polices"

Sounds the same to me.

Except nobody seems to care when Apple does it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Nihilistic Becomes nStigate Games
2. Re: Nihilistic Becomes nStigate Games Oct 24, 2012, 21:45 Parallax Abstraction

I know their history goes back a ways but I honestly can't remember a game this company made that was very good. I seem to recall Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption being considered really bad (though my ex really enjoyed it), Starcraft Ghost was cancelled and all their recent stuff has been really awful. The Resistance Vita game was an embarrassment. In the AAA space, only the absolute best of the best even have a chance at success and Nihilistic doesn't appear to be. Hopefully they can find more success in mobile but given their quality track record and that mobile's becoming just as hard to make money in, I wonder.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 10:27 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:01:
Third-gen iPad owners- does the fourth-gen iPad irk you?

Why would it? That's life, something always newer and better around the corner. Sometimes you have to learn to just be happy with what you've got.

That's not the lifestyle Apple cultivates in its fans though.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo