Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3251 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
1. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 10:07 Parallax Abstraction

They lost me at John Romero.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Just 4% of iOS 6 users still using Apple Maps after 5 days Oct 2, 2012, 16:16 Parallax Abstraction

But 95% are still claiming to use it and making excuses for it because they refuse to admit Apple is capable of doing anything wrong.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
63. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 19:43 Parallax Abstraction

My main request for Borderlands 3: Less writing by Anthony Birch. I'm liking the game overall (despite many valid flaws brought up elsewhere in this thread) but listening to some of what he considers comedy makes me feel like my IQ is going down each time. It's just an endless stream of redneck jokes mixed with pop culture references. Not parodies, references, something Duke Nukem Forever was panned for doing. I like Pandora and the type of thing they're going for but his writing is funny and just lazy. It's like a Family Guy episode. I don't mind the type of humour they're going for but the way the game is written just doesn't do it well.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2012, 19:52.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 28, 2012, 08:49 Parallax Abstraction

Well done Burr, well done. Jobs was a hell of a smart guy (if not a terrible human being) but he's one of the most overhyped figures in the tech industry. He had thousands of people who actually take his ideas and make them into products but Apple fanboys act like he hand built every device.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
18. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

elefunk wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:43:
Notch is quite a hypocrite here.

He got Minecraft certified for "open" Android
He got Minecraft cerfitied for Xbox
Minecraft still works perfectly as-is in its current form on Windows 8.

So Microsoft comes along and wants to certify it also to go through the Windows 8 Store, especially so it can go onto ARM tablets, and he throws a hissy-fit?

Pretty much this. He put it on Xbox and iOS, two incredibly closed platforms and that's OK but putting it into the Metro environment which is admittedly closed but also 100% optional is apparently a huge deal. It's his game, he can do what he wants but if you're going to make the open platforms argument but be on those two, it's hard not to look like a hypocrite.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live
5. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 10:37 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 10:06:
Does Kickstarter take a percentage of those donations for their operating costs?

Believe so, yes.

I believe Kickstarter takes 3% and Amazon Payments takes another 4%. Or it might be the other way around but I believe a few people have said you lose 7% off the top.

And yeah, a project by 3D Realms, that was cancelled in 2009 due to lack of funding before a single ounce of gameplay was shown and they won't say who is developing it. That either means they don't actually have a developer yet or the one they do have is one known for making bad games. I'm sure ready to drop a pile of money on that. It's incredible to me that after the shit show that was Duke Nukem Forever, Broussard still sees himself as an industry superstar and that the 3D Realms brand is anything more than a punchline. Their chances of this succeeding would probably be a lot better if they'd just let that brand die and start things with a new name. But Broussard's ego won't allow that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Preorders
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Preorders Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 10:00:
Release Date: TBA 2013, eh I think I'll wait and see if THQ survives. Darksiders 2 undersold its sales targets by a hefty margin

Only on consoles in North America and according to NPD whose report on sales has been hurtling towards irrelevance for a while now. Wait until their earnings which is where international console sales as well as what is widely believe to be significant PC sales will be included.

That said yeah, waiting for news on that before handing them more money in advance is probably wise.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 12:01 Parallax Abstraction

I wonder what F1 would be like in the year 201.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 21, 2012, 22:15 Parallax Abstraction

This trend of "let's ask someone who has a purposefully biased opinion on an issue what his opinion is on that issue" is becoming a plague in the enthusiast press. Asking a guy who has a vested interest in the success of cloud services what he thinks of them is like asking Microsoft and Sony if they think consoles will prevail. It's a subjective opinion with no meaningful basis. And they wonder why people think there's no journalism left in this industry.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > BioWare Founders Retire
21. Re: BioWare Founders Retire Sep 18, 2012, 20:21 Parallax Abstraction

It's been almost 5 years since EA bought them. I wager they had a 5 year employment agreement and after the SWTOR failure plus operating in the EA monolith, they decided enough was enough and didn't renew it. They've both got more money than they could ever spend so I can't blame them for deciding to enjoy it. They were instrumental guys in BioWare but they were only 2 many hundreds if not thousands. Hopefully EA doesn't push the stake in the rest of the way.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2012, 11:09 Parallax Abstraction

Can't speak to other places but here in Canada, "superphone" is a bullshit marketing term coined by the cell phone carriers to advertise their highest-end models. Now it's the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 and Lumia 920, next year it'll be some other batch.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 16, 2012, 20:42 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 19:56:
That's their bread and butter!

Is it though? That happened with the Wii but even they weren't expecting the level of success it got and I'd guess (OK, more like hope) that they aren't crazy enough to think that will happen again to the same extent. A lot of their reveal the other day focused on more hardcore titles and the TVii thing seemed to be the more mainstream thing they were hyping. I think they'll definitely get some casuals but I think they know that this time, hardcore appeal is what will keep the system in people's minds. Whether or not they can pull it off is another guess but I think that's their goal.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 16, 2012, 18:48 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 18:31:
Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 15:46:
Must be a day for butt-stupid articles here on Bluesnews. Between this and the FBI entrapment one, I don't know which one is more ludicrous.

I know right. I was thinking, 'Is it April Fools or something?' Guess it's just Derp Day for articles.

AllThingsD is to the tech press what Fox is to news. They take otherwise benign or unimportant points and blow them all out of proportion to generate clicks through controversy. They're also to Apple what Fox is to Republicans beyond that. They're an embarrassment to what little is left of journalism in the enthusiast press.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Delayed
8. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 03:11:
I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one.

Please deposit your gamer credentials in the box to your right before heading outside to the re-education van.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
22. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 16:26 Parallax Abstraction

Kicktraq is trending this to reach $11,000,000. Now admittedly, they haven't figured out full trending logic yet and it doesn't take into account the fact that there's usually a big dip in the middle of the campaign followed by a spike at the end so it probably won't get to that level. But it is definitely set to beat the goal be a large margin. As in millions.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam?
8. Re: Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam? Sep 14, 2012, 09:02 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 22:45:
If true, this is somewhat surprising. I thought MS published this? Usually such games never see the light of day on PC.

There have been a few games recently that were published by Microsoft on Xbox but where the developers retained control for PC releases. Hopefully that's the case here.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam?
2. Re: Mark of the Ninja Coming to Steam? Sep 13, 2012, 21:58 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 21:31:
I've been hearing good things about this game.

It's fantastic. They made a stealth game that doesn't feel super slow paced but also rewards not going in guns blazing. I'm really enjoying it on 360 and would happily buy it again on PC.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > First Steam Greenlight Selections
34. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 11, 2012, 22:26 Parallax Abstraction

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:08:
It reminds me of the DNF fanboys...

Those existed?!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
8. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 19:16 Parallax Abstraction

Dades wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:43:
Any time I've submitted a support ticket with Steam it's been fast and painless but I've only ever needed to do that once or twice.

This is only the third ticket I've ever had to submit. The first one was a number of years ago and it was handled quickly. These latter two, not so much. From what I've seen from other people, your experience is either awful or fantastic, there's no middle ground.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
4. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 18:36 Parallax Abstraction

Dev wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 14:55:
Sounds like the best company to work for ever. As a customer though, it leaves a bit to be desired.

Basically this. I generally love the service experience but what they call "support" is hilariously bad. I submitted a ticket to them 6 days ago for a refund on Home because it turns out the game has a known compatibility issue with my sound card that causes it to run mute, one the author says he isn't going to fix. Not even an acknowledgement. Their site says they have "high ticket volume", which it's has for months. Same crap you get when you call a big telco's support line. When searching my e-mail for the ticket number, I found another ticket I submitted a couple years back for a problem with the Steam client itself. It literally never got a response and was automatically closed after a month. The whole "choose your job" thing sounds great except when it comes to things like customer service which is a job few would put themselves in. This isn't some tiny indie with no budget, it's bloody Valve. The support experience should equal everything else that makes them great.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3251 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo