Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3274 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2012, 22:45 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:57:
Amazing blog article on the Astrounauts. Should become mandatory reading for every single developer out there.

He makes a good point but I don't think it's quite as simple as he says and I don't think the majority of AAA developers never question what they're doing. It's not like the developers have limitless creative control over the products they make. They should but they don't.

Sure there are a ton of boring, gray/brown shooters. But there's also a billion and one indie 2D platformers with an 8-bit art style that's done out of a lack of art ability as opposed to any intentional, meaningful design choice. Indie games can and should provide a lot of inspiration but they're not all that's right with gaming, nor is AAA all that's wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed
8. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:26 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 21:00:
I have always loved THQ. That they made some serious missteps is undeniable, but I own and love a whole lot of their games. Really looking forward to Metro and CoH2; it would be a travesty if they never got released. And yeah, Saints Row needs to be saved. As an aside I may be wishing for the moon here, but can someone (not THQ obviously) give us a proper sequel to the open-ended and super fun Red Faction Guerrilla? Armageddon was such a step back for the series.

All the games mentioned in this story will come out, one way or the other. They're all too far along in development. If THQ goes under, another big publisher will pick up the studios and IPs for pennies on the dollar and put the games out. That they're bleeding money and still delaying the games to ensure they ship in a high quality state is ballsy as Hell but I wonder if it will pay off for them.

I was reading on I think a Gamasutra comment someone saying that THQ has been horribly managed for years, that Farrell's a terrible CEO (hard to deny now) who never understood quality games and that the only thing that carried them this far was the licensed crap they were putting out. When people stopped buying those games, the thing that kept them successful despite themselves went away and now their chickens are coming home to roost. It's such a shame because they have some amazing development talent who knows how to make good games but their management has no idea what it's doing. They let CoH languish for years while pouring money into Homefront (read the recent Polygon story to see that mess) and releasing uDraw the year after the iPad, then wondering why nobody bought it. They even had a chance to lock Respawn Entertainment down but refused to let them keep their IP and lost what's almost a guaranteed cash cow to EA. No one in the press was talking about it back then but every hack analyst like Pachter and Dent are now throwing in their two cents as if they knew this all along.

That the THQ board hasn't run Farrell out of town on a rail yet is a sign that they still don't know what they're doing. I think bringing Jason Rubin in to shepherd these titles to a quality point was a good idea but I fear he was brought in way too late. This industry needs more competition but there seem to be only a small handful that know how to run one of these businesses properly.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:43 Parallax Abstraction

Chris Kohler never seems happier than when he's writing doom and gloom about any non-mobile part of the industry and fellating Apple at the same time but sadly, I think he's right here. LucasArts seems to have been a badly managed nightmare the last few years and every attempt Disney's made at AAA development has flopped hard so I don't see them wanting to keep LucasArts doing that beyond 1313. And unless they seem certain that can bring in big money, they might find it makes more sense to just cancel it at the point it's at or hand it off to another developer. What I saw looked neat, I hope it can get finished. I do fear seeing previously great Star Wars titles reborn as iOS microtransaction skinner boxes though.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sine Mora PC Plans
7. Re: Sine Mora PC Plans Nov 2, 2012, 10:53 Parallax Abstraction

ViRGE wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 05:06:
I've heard a lot of good things about Sine Mora, so this will be worth keeping an eye on.

I played this on 360. It's one of the best shmups in recent years but be warned, it's very hard. If the port is good, I'll be grabbing this again on PC and probably on Vita as well when that comes.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Longest Journey Sequel Plans
6. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 14:07 Parallax Abstraction

The Longest Journey is my favourite story-based game of all time, despite it's many mechanical and puzzle design shortcomings. I also really liked Dreamfall, though it wasn't as good. I am day one on this game, especially if Tornquist is involved. Also nice to see that this is his own studio that licensed the property from Funcom and not Funcom making it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 10:25 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 09:24:
Golwar wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 07:47:
She was naive, panicked and probably got some ill advise. She was without a doubt dumb, but that's it. Don't pretend that you never were.

Her actions got someone fired. I don't recall ever doing that.

To be fair, the guy from Eurogamer quit in protest of his article being edited, he wasn't fired.

That said, I think Eurogamer should have stuck to their guns if they thought they were right and I think Lauren Wainwright's actions have basically proven all the accusations against her as correct. If she felt she was in the right, she wouldn't have tried to erase her frankly ludicrous conflicts of interest away, she would have owned the situation, explained it and let that rest on itself. She didn't even have to apologise, just explain why she thought she was free of conflict and rebut the claims rather than resort to cheap exploitation of Britain's broken libel laws. She's in the wrong and has all but admitted it and she deserves to never work in the games press again.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 10:11 Parallax Abstraction

SAAAAAAAANDYYYYY!!!

Stay safe Blue and everyone who has been affected by this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
14. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 22:33 Parallax Abstraction

Chris Kohler wrote a "clicks through controversy" article? Shocked I say! And his primary source of opinion is the CEO of a free-to-play company that has a vested interest in seeing the current primary way games are sold fail? I'm not naive enough to believe that there isn't massive change going on in the "traditional" games industry right now but like others have said, this is just another doom and gloom article designed to drive traffic by pissing people off. Kohler's a master at this manipulative drivel. Sony and Microsoft aren't perfect by any means but they don't make bets they know they're going to lose. Mobile and free-to-play are viable models that are here to stay but both are in a massive bubble right now, mobile especially and anyone who thinks their current rate of growth will continue indefinitely should go get a job selling sub-prime mortgage backed securities. If you still have doubts, look what happened to Zynga, a company worth more than EA a year ago that everyone thought was the future and whose stock is now worth less than their real estate and equipment within.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2012, 22:45.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Event, Triple XP Weekend
2. Re: Max Payne 3 Event, Triple XP Weekend Oct 26, 2012, 15:17 Parallax Abstraction

Hackers are all this game ever had.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Revised Windows Store Policy Allows PEGI-18 Games
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 26, 2012, 10:01 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 09:42:
Kitkoan wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 22:53:
deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 21:49:
A reminder that can Microsoft revise it's policy whenever, and to whatever, whether you agree or disagree.

"Sorry, that's our policy." Yaaaa, I love that line. /sarcasm

Better then Apple polices that change on the drop of a hat.

"Your app is approved." fix a bug but change nothing of the real game "Your app is denied for violating our polices"

Sounds the same to me.

Except nobody seems to care when Apple does it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Nihilistic Becomes nStigate Games
2. Re: Nihilistic Becomes nStigate Games Oct 24, 2012, 21:45 Parallax Abstraction

I know their history goes back a ways but I honestly can't remember a game this company made that was very good. I seem to recall Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption being considered really bad (though my ex really enjoyed it), Starcraft Ghost was cancelled and all their recent stuff has been really awful. The Resistance Vita game was an embarrassment. In the AAA space, only the absolute best of the best even have a chance at success and Nihilistic doesn't appear to be. Hopefully they can find more success in mobile but given their quality track record and that mobile's becoming just as hard to make money in, I wonder.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 10:27 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:01:
Third-gen iPad owners- does the fourth-gen iPad irk you?

Why would it? That's life, something always newer and better around the corner. Sometimes you have to learn to just be happy with what you've got.

That's not the lifestyle Apple cultivates in its fans though.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2012, 14:37 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:29:
And why are people sending each other emails about when they can have a meeting? Click on Meeting, click on invitees, then you can see when people are busy and when they are available. Pick a time when everyone is available, and schedule the meeting.

Couldn't agree more. To be fair, in my company the whole e-mail discussions about meetings thing doesn't happen very often. Most people are actually pretty good about using Outlook invites the way they're supposed to be. But holy crap, I did a 3 month contract job at KPMG's Ottawa office in 2010. They're one of the "big four" accounting firms in the world. And you would not believe the e-mail threads involved to setup one meeting or make one decision. I was there for a Windows 7 implementation project and we found a bug in their image. I figured out how to fix it in minutes but to get a decision to fix the bug involved an e-mail thread that was at least 100 posts deep or more. I ended up surfing the Internet at my desk for almost a week until they figured this out because there was nothing for me to do. It was insane and so many companies operate this way. But like you said, removing e-mail isn't going to fix that. It's the people that have to change, not the medium.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2012, 10:23 Parallax Abstraction

You know, I get where the spirit of that guy's article is rooted and that e-mail in the corporate space in particular has become a nightmare but turning e-mail into another social network and one that integrates with Twitter and Facebook?! Is he out of his mind?! How many stories do we have to see about employees being disciplined for the stupid crap they post to social media to realise what a bad idea that is? Not everything has to be like Facebook and Twitter, in fact many things are best not wrapped in this narcissistic notion that everyone around the world wants to hear what you're doing every second of the day (and I say this as a heavy Twitter user who probably posts too much of that crap myself.)

12 e-mails to setup a meeting and massive inboxes aren't a sign of problems with e-mail itself, they're a sign of people being unable to properly manage their time and resources. I work in IT at a company of almost 200, I get boatloads of e-mail a day and while I'm never at "inbox 0", I'm never more than "inbox 10" or so because I delete the messages I don't need, I don't acknowledge every message that doesn't need it (I hate it when people do this) and if people are starting a ridiculous thread of conversation about setting up a meeting, I respond to it and say "This is when I can be there. When you guys figure out the time, please send the Outlook invite" and I ignore the rest of the thread until the invite comes. This method can come across as snotty to some people but it's what you have to do. Organise your time, control e-mail and don't let it control you. Turning it into a social network will just make it even more untenable.

Oh, I missed the bottom of the e-mail where the guy who wrote it is the CEO of HootSuite, a major social media tool. Another article asking someone who has a vested interest in seeing something die what he thinks about that something. Yeesh.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 17, 2012, 22:37 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 21:41:
Seriously no Carmageddon for Android?!?

It's apparently coming and will have a free launch day there as well.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer
19. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:56 Parallax Abstraction

I didn't even know this was set to have multiplayer. I can't imagine how they would have done it in a way that wasn't just another batch of generic modes tacked onto a setting where they didn't make any sense. I guess they realised that too. I hope titles like this and Dishonored and others that focus on great single player only experiences sell well enough to prove the theory that "everything needs multiplayer" wrong.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 16:24 Parallax Abstraction

Gotta' love analysts who consider a few percentage points a "collapse". And the lazy outlets like BetaNews that clamour to quote them in order to generate clicks through controversy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD September Figures
3. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 Parallax Abstraction

Yep, NPD is useless but unfortunately, outlets like GamesIndustry International love quoting crap like this and analysts. They used to be a good source of industry specific news but they're as bad as Kotaku now for this kind of garbage content.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace
15. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 12:24 Parallax Abstraction

Does Apple allow M rated titles on the App Store? Genuinely asking, I'm not sure. And as others have said, this is just Metro apps and since nothing else is being restricted or walled off in any way, you're free to buy M rated titles from any other software store you want and they'll work fine.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned
21. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned Oct 9, 2012, 09:22 Parallax Abstraction

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 22:39:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 22:29:
Firefly and Terra Nova get cancelled but this is what they think will be good television. Oh Fox...

That's what happens when all they care about is $$$, and EA can point to their sales data and say they have millions upon millions of Battlefield fans. Though I would never, ever dare mention Terra Nova in the same sentence as Firefly... What's wrong with you?

Very different shows and make no mistake, I'd shoot Terra Nova right between the eyes if it meant even a few more episodes of Firefly. But they're both examples of cool and unique sci-fi shows that never had a chance because they were on Fox and weren't just trying to further lower the bar like everything else that network airs.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3274 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo