Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3201 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 22, 2012, 10:23 Parallax Abstraction

You know, I get where the spirit of that guy's article is rooted and that e-mail in the corporate space in particular has become a nightmare but turning e-mail into another social network and one that integrates with Twitter and Facebook?! Is he out of his mind?! How many stories do we have to see about employees being disciplined for the stupid crap they post to social media to realise what a bad idea that is? Not everything has to be like Facebook and Twitter, in fact many things are best not wrapped in this narcissistic notion that everyone around the world wants to hear what you're doing every second of the day (and I say this as a heavy Twitter user who probably posts too much of that crap myself.)

12 e-mails to setup a meeting and massive inboxes aren't a sign of problems with e-mail itself, they're a sign of people being unable to properly manage their time and resources. I work in IT at a company of almost 200, I get boatloads of e-mail a day and while I'm never at "inbox 0", I'm never more than "inbox 10" or so because I delete the messages I don't need, I don't acknowledge every message that doesn't need it (I hate it when people do this) and if people are starting a ridiculous thread of conversation about setting up a meeting, I respond to it and say "This is when I can be there. When you guys figure out the time, please send the Outlook invite" and I ignore the rest of the thread until the invite comes. This method can come across as snotty to some people but it's what you have to do. Organise your time, control e-mail and don't let it control you. Turning it into a social network will just make it even more untenable.

Oh, I missed the bottom of the e-mail where the guy who wrote it is the CEO of HootSuite, a major social media tool. Another article asking someone who has a vested interest in seeing something die what he thinks about that something. Yeesh.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 17, 2012, 22:37 Parallax Abstraction

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 21:41:
Seriously no Carmageddon for Android?!?

It's apparently coming and will have a free launch day there as well.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer
19. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 22:56 Parallax Abstraction

I didn't even know this was set to have multiplayer. I can't imagine how they would have done it in a way that wasn't just another batch of generic modes tacked onto a setting where they didn't make any sense. I guess they realised that too. I hope titles like this and Dishonored and others that focus on great single player only experiences sell well enough to prove the theory that "everything needs multiplayer" wrong.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2012, 16:24 Parallax Abstraction

Gotta' love analysts who consider a few percentage points a "collapse". And the lazy outlets like BetaNews that clamour to quote them in order to generate clicks through controversy.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > NPD September Figures
3. Re: NPD September Figures Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 Parallax Abstraction

Yep, NPD is useless but unfortunately, outlets like GamesIndustry International love quoting crap like this and analysts. They used to be a good source of industry specific news but they're as bad as Kotaku now for this kind of garbage content.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace
15. Re: No Adult Games on Windows 8 Marketplace Oct 11, 2012, 12:24 Parallax Abstraction

Does Apple allow M rated titles on the App Store? Genuinely asking, I'm not sure. And as others have said, this is just Metro apps and since nothing else is being restricted or walled off in any way, you're free to buy M rated titles from any other software store you want and they'll work fine.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned
21. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned Oct 9, 2012, 09:22 Parallax Abstraction

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 22:39:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 22:29:
Firefly and Terra Nova get cancelled but this is what they think will be good television. Oh Fox...

That's what happens when all they care about is $$$, and EA can point to their sales data and say they have millions upon millions of Battlefield fans. Though I would never, ever dare mention Terra Nova in the same sentence as Firefly... What's wrong with you?

Very different shows and make no mistake, I'd shoot Terra Nova right between the eyes if it meant even a few more episodes of Firefly. But they're both examples of cool and unique sci-fi shows that never had a chance because they were on Fox and weren't just trying to further lower the bar like everything else that network airs.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned
9. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned Oct 8, 2012, 22:29 Parallax Abstraction

Firefly and Terra Nova get cancelled but this is what they think will be good television. Oh Fox...  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Dishonored Interactive Trailer
5. Re: Dishonored Interactive Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 13:24 Parallax Abstraction

For anyone who cares, I've read online that this trailer apparently spoils one of the major missions in the game.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"
17. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 3, 2012, 21:30 Parallax Abstraction

GamesIndustry International purposefully making stories out of cherry picked quoted to generate clicks through controversy? Sounds like just another day for them.

And yeah, like everyone said, there's single player games doing well all over the place. With the exception of Elder Scrolls Online, virtually every major Bethesda success story have been primarily single player games. They're just about to release Dishonored which has no multiplayer at all. Sorry Pardo, I know you can't over-monetize single player games the same way but not all of us want everything to be competitive online stuff all the time.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter
1. Re: Loot Drop's Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite Kickstarter Oct 3, 2012, 10:07 Parallax Abstraction

They lost me at John Romero.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Just 4% of iOS 6 users still using Apple Maps after 5 days Oct 2, 2012, 16:16 Parallax Abstraction

But 95% are still claiming to use it and making excuses for it because they refuse to admit Apple is capable of doing anything wrong.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
63. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 19:43 Parallax Abstraction

My main request for Borderlands 3: Less writing by Anthony Birch. I'm liking the game overall (despite many valid flaws brought up elsewhere in this thread) but listening to some of what he considers comedy makes me feel like my IQ is going down each time. It's just an endless stream of redneck jokes mixed with pop culture references. Not parodies, references, something Duke Nukem Forever was panned for doing. I like Pandora and the type of thing they're going for but his writing is funny and just lazy. It's like a Family Guy episode. I don't mind the type of humour they're going for but the way the game is written just doesn't do it well.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2012, 19:52.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 28, 2012, 08:49 Parallax Abstraction

Well done Burr, well done. Jobs was a hell of a smart guy (if not a terrible human being) but he's one of the most overhyped figures in the tech industry. He had thousands of people who actually take his ideas and make them into products but Apple fanboys act like he hand built every device.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
18. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

elefunk wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 10:43:
Notch is quite a hypocrite here.

He got Minecraft certified for "open" Android
He got Minecraft cerfitied for Xbox
Minecraft still works perfectly as-is in its current form on Windows 8.

So Microsoft comes along and wants to certify it also to go through the Windows 8 Store, especially so it can go onto ARM tablets, and he throws a hissy-fit?

Pretty much this. He put it on Xbox and iOS, two incredibly closed platforms and that's OK but putting it into the Metro environment which is admittedly closed but also 100% optional is apparently a huge deal. It's his game, he can do what he wants but if you're going to make the open platforms argument but be on those two, it's hard not to look like a hypocrite.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live
5. Re: Gambitious Launches: Earth No More & 3D Realms Live Sep 25, 2012, 10:37 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 10:06:
Does Kickstarter take a percentage of those donations for their operating costs?

Believe so, yes.

I believe Kickstarter takes 3% and Amazon Payments takes another 4%. Or it might be the other way around but I believe a few people have said you lose 7% off the top.

And yeah, a project by 3D Realms, that was cancelled in 2009 due to lack of funding before a single ounce of gameplay was shown and they won't say who is developing it. That either means they don't actually have a developer yet or the one they do have is one known for making bad games. I'm sure ready to drop a pile of money on that. It's incredible to me that after the shit show that was Duke Nukem Forever, Broussard still sees himself as an industry superstar and that the 3D Realms brand is anything more than a punchline. Their chances of this succeeding would probably be a lot better if they'd just let that brand die and start things with a new name. But Broussard's ego won't allow that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Preorders
2. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Preorders Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 10:00:
Release Date: TBA 2013, eh I think I'll wait and see if THQ survives. Darksiders 2 undersold its sales targets by a hefty margin

Only on consoles in North America and according to NPD whose report on sales has been hurtling towards irrelevance for a while now. Wait until their earnings which is where international console sales as well as what is widely believe to be significant PC sales will be included.

That said yeah, waiting for news on that before handing them more money in advance is probably wise.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 23, 2012, 12:01 Parallax Abstraction

I wonder what F1 would be like in the year 201.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 21, 2012, 22:15 Parallax Abstraction

This trend of "let's ask someone who has a purposefully biased opinion on an issue what his opinion is on that issue" is becoming a plague in the enthusiast press. Asking a guy who has a vested interest in the success of cloud services what he thinks of them is like asking Microsoft and Sony if they think consoles will prevail. It's a subjective opinion with no meaningful basis. And they wonder why people think there's no journalism left in this industry.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > BioWare Founders Retire
21. Re: BioWare Founders Retire Sep 18, 2012, 20:21 Parallax Abstraction

It's been almost 5 years since EA bought them. I wager they had a 5 year employment agreement and after the SWTOR failure plus operating in the EA monolith, they decided enough was enough and didn't renew it. They've both got more money than they could ever spend so I can't blame them for deciding to enjoy it. They were instrumental guys in BioWare but they were only 2 many hundreds if not thousands. Hopefully EA doesn't push the stake in the rest of the way.  
Parallax Abstraction

3201 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo