Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3256 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > THQ Investors Call Shenanigans
21. Re: THQ Investors Call Shenanigans Jan 4, 2013, 11:45 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:15:
1) THQ management today is what, a year or so old? They hired a new president and he blitzed the entire old management team. Brian Farrell still has a job, but he no longer has most of the power. Most of his yes-men are gone

A lot of the yes men are gone but Farrell's still the Chairman and CEO. He is higher up the totem pole than Jason Rubin or anyone else. And stupid crap like the uDraw was his idea. The core of THQ's problems is still running things. Much as I think splitting up the company is a dumb idea, Farrell doesn't deserve his job and I think THQ's long-term survival depends on him getting kicked to the curb. Rubin gets it, Farrell hasn't ever.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 09:10 Parallax Abstraction

After reading parts of this thread, I can't possibly imagine why so many people think there's sexism in the game industry and community.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fez Ports Planned
18. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 15:39 Parallax Abstraction

ItBurn wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:59:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:53:
Fish is a douchebag but I've come to realise that if I started boycotting every game where a douchebag was involved, I'd never play anything. The world is full of douchebags and a lot of them are creative types. I don't fault anyone who doesn't buy the game because of him, it's your money, do what you want. I just sort of reformulated my thinking to try to base viewpoints on the games and not the people behind them because doing the latter means you will find something that bothers you about nearly every creative endeavour.

Personally, I'm curious to see how it is on PC but I'd actually really love to see a Vita version. This would be great to play on my lunch hours.

The thing is, making good games is f-ing hard. It helps when the guy at the helm is arrogant, overly confident and sure of himself. Causes asses need to get kicked, decisions need to be made and work needs to be done. Sometimes it comes off as being an asshole. It's also possible to make good games without that and also assholes can make bad games...

Steve Jobs is the prime example of this (though he didn't make games.) The guy was a horrible human being in general and a nightmare to work for but look what his ideas and management style created.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fez Ports Planned
16. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 14:53 Parallax Abstraction

Fish is a douchebag but I've come to realise that if I started boycotting every game where a douchebag was involved, I'd never play anything. The world is full of douchebags and a lot of them are creative types. I don't fault anyone who doesn't buy the game because of him, it's your money, do what you want. I just sort of reformulated my thinking to try to base viewpoints on the games and not the people behind them because doing the latter means you will find something that bothers you about nearly every creative endeavour.

Personally, I'm curious to see how it is on PC but I'd actually really love to see a Vita version. This would be great to play on my lunch hours.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Tomb Raider Multiplayer
16. Re: Tomb Raider Multiplayer Dec 29, 2012, 21:27 Parallax Abstraction

DangerDog wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 17:14:
PC Gamer says this game is one QTE after another, push forward on the thumbstick to win.

PC Gamer was completely off the mark on Hitman: Absolution too (especially performance wise). Not to say this won't be like they say but I don't take their pre-release word to mean much. I think multiplayer on its face sounds dumb but people thought Naughty Dog was on crack when they added it to Uncharted and it turned out to be a massive success that's still heavily played to this day. Who knows, maybe they'll do something innovative with it like they did with Contracts mode in Hitman.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2012, 20:24 Parallax Abstraction

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 17:27:
really Ars! Like a day or two days go by and you have to do a OS X retrospective!? I'm lookin at you Kitkoan. goddamnit! lol

Well, Cheng and Foresman have to do something and it's not like they're able to do anything but fellate Apple.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2012, 11:49 Parallax Abstraction

Given that the luster is finally starting to come off the Apple fashion trend and their stock is slowly starting to settle into something resembling actual reality, I wonder if Cook's going to regret taking those long-view stock options. Though he's a smart guy, I'm sure even he realises their stock was incredibly overvalued and not sustainable where it was.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Boxing Day Tech Bits
2. Re: How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS Dec 26, 2012, 22:49 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 14:28:
Well... that was a coincidentally helpful since I just ordered a 27" iMac with a fusion drive and a nVidia 680M.

Sorry to hear that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Free EA Expansions on GOG.com
14. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 09:33 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, this is damn impressive on both GOG's part and EA's. They could have charged for these expansions and I think very few people would have complained. Personally, I easily would have paid a couple of bucks for Alien Crossfire at least. Giving it away for free is just damn classy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
18. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 14:25 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 13:52:
Is Hitman Absolution worth $25? I loved Blood Money for point of reference.

It is no Blood Money, not by a long shot but I still liked it. I'd say it's worth $25 (or $20 if you can get the Amazon deal).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gas Powered Countdown
4. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

These guys have been radio silent for so long since the Demigod debacle, I was wondering if they were still around, especially since they sold all their previous IP off to Square Enix a while back. I'll be interested to see what it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Kickstarter either.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Frontier Layoffs
8. Re: Frontier Layoffs Dec 17, 2012, 13:39 Parallax Abstraction

Bhruic wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:29:
There are lots of reasons to cast doubts on E:D, but them laying off, what, 6% of their staff? doesn't seem like one of them.

Maybe this will then. As tweeted by Introversion Software. The company's finances are in fact not healthy at all. Frontier is primarily a work-for-hire developer in a similar vein as Eurocom who recently went bankrupt after 25+ years in business because publishers are dropping low to mid grade projects like rocks right now. This is partially because we're at the end of a console cycle and also because people have finally smartened up and largely stopped buying low end titles that were slapped together in 10 months for $60. Some of Frontier's work-for-hire games were apparently pretty good so quality may not be their issue but I'd wager they've had some projects yanked out from under them. The shoddy way their Kickstarter was first presented reeked of a project created out of desperation and those financial figures would seem to indicate that. If the project fails, there will probably be a much bigger round of layoffs. Not that I want to see Frontier fail but backing a project that seems to have been thrown together at the last minute in order to save the company is a project that I would say comes with a lot more risk to backers than others might.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 9, 2012, 23:26 Parallax Abstraction

Almost bought an 840 but found a new in box 830 for a similar price and heard they were better performing so I jumped on that. Really glad I avoided the 840 now. I thought dumb stuff like this was normally what you'd expect from OCZ SSDs, not Samsung.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
27. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 17:02 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently one part of Windows 8 being a walled garden makes it a "catastrophe" but an entire box being a walled garden is A-OK if Valve does it. OK Gabe, sure. And yeah, he said "our hardware will be a very controlled environment,"

He wants to think Windows 8 is a "catastrophe" because of the completely optional Windows Store, that's his opinion and that's cool. But if Valve's going to do the same thing with the entirety of their living room box, I can't see how that's anything but hypocritical. I don't run Windows 8 and honestly, do kind of want to see Metro flop. But this seems a little two-faced to me.

That said, it'll probably still be cool and I'm interested to see their ideas.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > November NPD Results
16. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:17:
If NPD has no estimate even for online, I'm amazed PC sales has only dropped so little YoY. You would think there would have been a sharper drop off if it's just retail.

A lot of people still buy Blizzard games at retail. Between Diablo 3 and Pandaria, I bet those alone kept the retail PC numbers high this year.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 09:35 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 09:21:
My non-medicated (PA got me there ) comment was about the claims of NPD's irrelevance. I strongly disagree with such claims in light of revenues that are in excess of US$2 bn. Just because they don't cover the (without a doubt important and growing) digital market does not make them irrelevant. NPD data is certainly interesting and relevant to those who understand it and those who know how to put it to use.

There is a world beyond the horizon of some kiddies who are online a lot and think that retail is irrelevant when clearly it is not.

Here's the thing though. You're right in that using irrelevant as a general term for NPD might be a bit strong. There is a two pronged failure taking place here, both on NPD's part and the gaming press. NPD's failing is that they're still pitching this monthly report as a good general barometer for the health of the games industry as a whole and it's not any more. It was at one point when the only way to buy games was in a box from a store but that's not the case any more. This report covers one segment but that underplay that and keep acting as if the industry as a whole is represented here. They do that for one reason: Analysts have to pay a lot of money for their report and they want to keep that subscription money rolling in. But the report is simply not nearly as useful as it once was.

And of course, the bigger failing is on the gaming press themselves which routinely doesn't point out the gaping flaws in NPD's current methodology and uses their report as an easy way to generate clicks through controversy. When people in forums and guys who run blogs no one reads are the ones who have to point out that it doesn't include all retailers, countries outside the US or any digital services, there's a massive problem somewhere. They also don't provide any context, like say for example how hardware sales are down because we're at the end of a 7 year old generation or how most luxury industries are down as a whole right now because there's still a massive worldwide recession going on.

Both of these groups contribute to the misinformation permeating the gaming community that the industry as a whole is represented by this report because it's not. AAA games are hurting big time right now, that can't really be denied but the games industry is doing much better than NPD reports. It may not be totally irrelevant but as a barometer of industry health as a whole, it's not all that useful any more. But as has been the case for years, the enthusiast press is pretty useless.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 05:49:
Aaah here go the little kiddies again... "but... but... but... I uuuuse Steeeeaaam and I am reeeealllly revellant and all that".

Cute.

No, really. Cute.

But could you kindly shut the fuck up, kids, while us adults realize that revenue in excess of 2+ billion is relevant enough to be covered by the NPD Group (or any other research facility for that matter).
My, thank you very much, kids, and now back to your Count0r Strii!!ke r0XX0r gaming on Steam but try to be quiet, kthx? Cool.

CJ, did you forget to take your meds again? The doctors told you what happens...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

10. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:52 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 22:36:
If you have to preface your data by saying it doesn't include a shred of information on the fastest-growing segment of the market by a massively huge margin every time you release it isn't that kind of admitting it isn't worth a damn?

... NPD's inevitable irrelevance.

I like your page Parallax Ab. - I especially like how you give it to Apple whenever you can!

Well, no one in the press is going to do it so I figure I might as well for the half dozen people who read my blog.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: November NPD Results Dec 6, 2012, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

Another month, another step towards NPD's inevitable irrelevance.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle Grows
6. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 22:08 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:07:
The amount of revenue generated from the humble is already more than half their market cap value, and that by itself is both amazing and distressing.

Their market cap is $8.43M, this bundle has raised $3.8M.

Hopefully this keeps them going a bit but given how many whiny indie people have been up in arms about this, I bet a lot of the money went to only the charities (also not a bad thing mind).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3256 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo