Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3271 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > More Games Get the Steam Greenlight
4. Re: More Games Get the Steam Greenlight Feb 26, 2013, 15:51 Parallax Abstraction

Garbage iOS tower defense game gets Greenlit, Pinball Arcade and Incredipede sit in limbo. Such a shame.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
20. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 20:50 Parallax Abstraction

Redmask wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:16:
I can't believe they didn't show a picture of it, that's a pretty basic thing.

I'm surprised by how upset people on the Internet are getting about this. The box gets shoved under the TV and never looked at except when changing discs. Does it really matter that much?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 10:58 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 08:42:
A Look Back at Sony's Overblown PlayStation 3 Promises.

<grabs popcorn>

Ahh, more Wired click baiting. They've been going a lot more in that direction lately. It's a shame, they used to be good.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > January NPD Results
4. Re: January NPD Results Feb 15, 2013, 10:54 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 09:59:
WiiU sold under 100,000 in the US last month.

Who's surprised?

I am. The thing's never going to sell as well as the Wii but I thought it would do better than that. That said, Nintendo gets into stuff as a marathon, not a sprint. A light launch can be immediately rectified by good software which they have coming. Not a guarantee of course but historically, those who bet against Nintendo usually end up being wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > January NPD Results
1. Re: January NPD Results Feb 15, 2013, 09:24 Parallax Abstraction

Obligatory NPD's numbers are not representative of entire industry health and are approaching irrelevance post. That said, yeah the industry is still not super healthy right now.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
3. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:40 Parallax Abstraction

For $15, it's a pretty good deal. I thought this game had such a great idea and it was ruined by the flow-breaking RTS components. Maybe they're better when you have mouse control available.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
8. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 11:01 Parallax Abstraction

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:26:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:03:
I could see Ellsworth not meshing well with their culture either. I followed her off and on for quite a while before she joined Valve. She's immensely talented and a brilliant woman but she's very independent and most of her best projects are things she did by herself. I wonder if the type of collaborative culture Valve is built around just didn't suit the way she works.
I thought Valve was a "do want you want, we have no managers" environment. That's how/why we got Portal 2, right? Am I mistaken? Seems like the woman you are describing would thrive in that environment.

They do have that environment but everything is very team driven and from what I've read, lone wolves don't tend to do very well there. You can do whatever you want but it has to be a team effort.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
2. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 10:03 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 09:28:
Valve is actually pretty aggressive about firing people who don't mesh with their culture, they just have NDAs which is why we don't often hear about it. I was watching a January conference talk where Gabe was doing the keynote and he was talking about one of the difficulties is that Valve is a very sink or swim place and that they don't do a lot to help people adjust since everyone is too busy.

I could see Ellsworth not meshing well with their culture either. I followed her off and on for quite a while before she joined Valve. She's immensely talented and a brilliant woman but she's very independent and most of her best projects are things she did by herself. I wonder if the type of collaborative culture Valve is built around just didn't suit the way she works.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter
2. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter Feb 8, 2013, 11:41 Parallax Abstraction

peteham wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 11:32:
Going to fund the bejeezus out of this one, even though I'm still enraged about Dreamfall's damn cliffhanger-ending.

I am too but they claim this is picking up right where it ended so at least we aren't left hanging. TLJ is still my favourite game of all time. I can't wait for this!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > More NPD 2012 Sales Analysis
4. Re: More NPD 2012 Sales Analysis Feb 6, 2013, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 08:24:
Bullshit guessing hahaha. These numbers have ZERO validity.

Exactly. NPD's digital numbers are guesses, created with some stupid formula that only they know and they won't share. That it doesn't contain Steam should be more than enough to convince anyone who wants to call themselves a journalist that these numbers are crap and not news worthy. Hence why the enthusiast press has been making doom and gloom stories from them since it came out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Take-Two Takes $400MM
2. Re: Take-Two Takes $400MM Feb 5, 2013, 22:11 Parallax Abstraction

EA (who almost swallowed Take-Two a few years back) is barely clinging to profitability while having their hand in 50 different pots in the interest of "broader appeal" but Take-Two largely focuses on core consoles and PC titles and is doing quite nicely. I think they (and eventually THQ if they could have held on longer) are showing that you can indeed make money in the AAA space, you just need to be focused and smart, not shotgunning ideas into every facet in the hopes that one pays off. There's lots of people predicting doom and gloom for AAA with an eerie amount of glee but I think if more of the industry refocused as Take-Two has tried, it can still work and make money.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
21. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 14:08 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, I don't see the racist connection at all, though I will admit stereotypes are often a significant part of many games. Don't get me wrong, I can talk for hours on how Burch is a lousy writer (pointing at references and asking people to laugh a la Family Guy isn't writing, it's referencing) and how Tiny Tina's one of the most annoying characters in years but I really don't see the racist overtones in it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 09:46:
Bell Canada Offers Unlimited Data.

Back to the future apparently.

It's Bell. They're the scummiest of the 3 big Canadian telecartels by FAR. Rest assured, if they're offering that, it's either coming with some massive caveats or they're planning to screw people somewhere else. Bell does nothing that's ultimately to the benefit of consumers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers for Crysis 3 Beta
2. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers for Crysis 3 Beta Jan 28, 2013, 11:11 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 11:08:
I wish, at some point, we would get the ability to use drivers on a per-instance basis. So, for example, if I launched Crysis 3, it would use driver version 313.95. And if I launched an older game, it would use driver version whatever that ran the best for that game.

This way we could stop worrying about miraculous new driver X which increases Latest Game Du Jour by 30%, and breaks 8 old ones...

Creston

Oh man, that would be such an incredible innovation. I don't know if the current Windows driver framework would permit it but given that since Windows Vista, video drivers can be shut down and restarted without requiring a reboot, I bet this could be possible. I'd love to see that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Frostbite OS X Port Planned
2. Re: Frostbite OS X Port Planned Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 Parallax Abstraction

Sho wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:55:
And OS X pretty much means Linux, at least potentially (OpenGL, POSIX).

Really curious how they plan to get the most out of Frostbite given the largely underpowered GPUs that are in all but the highest end Macs. Heck, even those can't hold a candle to the higher-end off the self PC cards.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 27, 2013, 20:56 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:16:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is awesome, btw. Not a game, really, though it has some gamey elements to it (upgrading your truck, buying skills, leveling up), but the sim part of driving a truck is great, and I find a fun, relaxing diversion for a few hours at a time.

Probably not worth 40 bucks if you're wanting a game out of it, but if/when it goes down to 20, it's well recommended.

Creston

What are you playing it with control wise? I watched Giant Bomb's quick look but they were using a wheel and pedal set there. Given the number of buttons and whatnot, I was wondering how well it worked with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 27, 2013, 17:21 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 17:12:
Post-Steve Apple is certainly doing all it can to not follow his playbook.

I cannot believe that, if alive, Jobs would actually have stood behind changing the form factor of the docking connector with NO performance improvement. I honestly believe this to be the greatest Achiles Heel of the current generation of iDevices. Were steve alive, I'm certain that any new dock connector would have been accompanited with corresponding USB3-level speed updates.

As it is now, the iPhone 5 is exactly the device he cancelled just prior to stepping down: an iPhone 4 with a biogger screen, and nothing else.

^D^

Under Jobs, the ridiculous dock connector for iDevices was created ion the first place. They could have just used mini-USB like most other devices do but Jobs understood locking people to a proprietary format that provides no extra benefit is a great way to keep people locked to your ecosystem. Sony used to get shat on all the time for their proprietary formats but Apple's one of the worst offenders in this department. I love all these articles that are popping up to show "Don't worry, Apple's still kicking ass you know!" when their stock price is taking a beating because investors are finally cluing into the fact that they were overvalued, their growth is a fashion trend and a lot of people (particularly young people) are moving on to Android. Never mind that Android devices are destroying Apple in sales either. Talking about good points with Apple is fine but the people who ignore everything else because it would require them to admit to Apple's not always #1 is ridiculous. I've never seen a company consistently get such preferential treatment in the press, even from sites that cover everything else even-handedly. Rest assured, this isn't going to last forever.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Q&A
7. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:48 Parallax Abstraction

Redmask wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:04:
Looks like the number of devs using GFWL continues to dwindle.

The original BioShock didn't use it. BioShock 2 (which Irrational had nothing to do with) did and mostly because it was a quick Xbox port that used it for the multiplayer. I think this won't have any multiplayer.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 26, 2013, 22:15 Parallax Abstraction

Even by Chris Kohler's standards, this article is ridiculous. He really doesn't understand what vaporware means. It refers to products that were announced a long time prior and mysteriously vanished, not stuff that's merely been announced and not released yet. Cripes Chris, I know being a bitter, cynical douchebag is your schtick but this is bad even for you.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
40. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 19:46 Parallax Abstraction

Panickd wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 19:11:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 18:28:
I can't believe Sega paid 26mil for Relic. That strikes me as obscene.

Really? 26 million is barely enough to fund a single AAA game these days and they got an entire development studio with some proven IP behind them. And it even comes with a game shipping soon in Company of Heroes 2. Sounds to me like they got a crazy good deal.

That's what happens in bankruptcy, you get everything for pennies on the dollar. Sega and the other buyers got smoking good deals, THQ debt holders didn't get much. I think the sale of all the stuff today barely covers one line of credit they had and barely makes a dent in the rest of their debt.

Congrats Brian Farrell, this disaster and all these people out of work is squarely the result of your years of incompetent leadership and unwillingness to step aside. I hope every time you walk into a store, there's a dusty uDraw box on a shelf to remind you of that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3271 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo