Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities in Motion 2
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities in Motion 2 Apr 3, 2013, 15:51 Parallax Abstraction

It's a shame if this one isn't an improvement. I really wanted to like the first one but after trying the tutorial half a dozen times and never being able to pass it because it would refuse to advance and not tell me what I did wrong, I gave up on it. It looks really cool but man was it inaccessible.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2013, 15:01 Parallax Abstraction

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 11:41:
Let me guess...American McGree has a mobile game in the works

Who doesn't these days? Everyone's trying to get on that gold rush, even though mobile's already been saturated for a long time.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Warframe Open Beta Begins
1. Re: Warframe Open Beta Begins Mar 21, 2013, 09:30 Parallax Abstraction

A friend and I have been playing this off and on since the closed beta. It's not a perfect game and has some evolution left but it's a really cool and unique idea and definitely not pay2win. They actually listen to feedback in their forums and have made some huge improvements to it since we first started playing. I'm really liking it. Someone figured out how to make free2play co-op work.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2013, 10:15 Parallax Abstraction

Tim Collins wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 09:13:
You know when to avoid a game when Ryan Seacrest announces it.

The host everyone watches but no one likes announcing the sequel so a flash in the pain game no one cares about anymore. Sounds about right.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
4. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 12, 2013, 10:49 Parallax Abstraction

Hopefully he can do his best work on his own instead of with another developer. The DeathSpank games and The Cave had his humour but weren't terribly good as games in my opinion. Some very poor design choices.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 10, 2013, 18:13 Parallax Abstraction

And just recently, Microsoft got (rightly) slapped with a massive fine in the EU because Windows 7 SP1 didn't allow users to choose a different default browser on installation. Not a word uttered about how Apple does far worse on every iOS device. Apple's double standard continues.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
79. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 15:55 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:59:
Also, HOLY GOD, KANE is the lead designer!

Creston

KANE LIIIIIIIIVES!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Dead Space 4 Cancelled?
6. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 10:06 Parallax Abstraction

Between this and Resident Evil 6, I wonder if publishers will finally learn that games aren't made successful by turning them into an indistinct sludge of popular tropes to attain "broader appeal" but by making them appeal to the core audience they were made for. Turning Dead Space 3 into a Gears of War clone with darker hallways didn't interest the mainstream and it turned off the series fans, now it's a failure. Not everything has to appeal to every possible player. You aren't going to make the next Angry Birds, that game's an outlier.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week
3. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Crowdfunding This Week Mar 4, 2013, 21:20 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 21:15:
They're going to need to do something really amazing to rope me in...to paraphrase Creston, it's kind of tacky asking for money for a project when the last project you asked people for money hasn't been delivered yet.

Exactly this. I am very excited at the idea of a new Torment game but asking for more Kickstarter money then they aren't close to delivering Wasteland 2 yet is poor form. I backed Wasteland 2 because I really want to see it but inXile doesn't exactly have the strongest track record as a studio either. I'd rather they deliver one product and have it not suck before I back another.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 28, 2013, 23:18 Parallax Abstraction

Wow, he totally worked a Battletoads reference into that! Very impressive.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > More Games Get the Steam Greenlight
7. Re: More Games Get the Steam Greenlight Feb 26, 2013, 16:16 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 16:12:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 15:51:
Garbage iOS tower defense game gets Greenlit, Pinball Arcade and Incredipede sit in limbo. Such a shame.

Incredipede shows greenlit.

Oh weird, I missed that some how. Glad to hear it's getting on Steam.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > More Games Get the Steam Greenlight
4. Re: More Games Get the Steam Greenlight Feb 26, 2013, 15:51 Parallax Abstraction

Garbage iOS tower defense game gets Greenlit, Pinball Arcade and Incredipede sit in limbo. Such a shame.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
20. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 20:50 Parallax Abstraction

Redmask wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:16:
I can't believe they didn't show a picture of it, that's a pretty basic thing.

I'm surprised by how upset people on the Internet are getting about this. The box gets shoved under the TV and never looked at except when changing discs. Does it really matter that much?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 10:58 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 08:42:
A Look Back at Sony's Overblown PlayStation 3 Promises.

<grabs popcorn>

Ahh, more Wired click baiting. They've been going a lot more in that direction lately. It's a shame, they used to be good.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > January NPD Results
4. Re: January NPD Results Feb 15, 2013, 10:54 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 09:59:
WiiU sold under 100,000 in the US last month.

Who's surprised?

I am. The thing's never going to sell as well as the Wii but I thought it would do better than that. That said, Nintendo gets into stuff as a marathon, not a sprint. A light launch can be immediately rectified by good software which they have coming. Not a guarantee of course but historically, those who bet against Nintendo usually end up being wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > January NPD Results
1. Re: January NPD Results Feb 15, 2013, 09:24 Parallax Abstraction

Obligatory NPD's numbers are not representative of entire industry health and are approaching irrelevance post. That said, yeah the industry is still not super healthy right now.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
3. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:40 Parallax Abstraction

For $15, it's a pretty good deal. I thought this game had such a great idea and it was ruined by the flow-breaking RTS components. Maybe they're better when you have mouse control available.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
8. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 11:01 Parallax Abstraction

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:26:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:03:
I could see Ellsworth not meshing well with their culture either. I followed her off and on for quite a while before she joined Valve. She's immensely talented and a brilliant woman but she's very independent and most of her best projects are things she did by herself. I wonder if the type of collaborative culture Valve is built around just didn't suit the way she works.
I thought Valve was a "do want you want, we have no managers" environment. That's how/why we got Portal 2, right? Am I mistaken? Seems like the woman you are describing would thrive in that environment.

They do have that environment but everything is very team driven and from what I've read, lone wolves don't tend to do very well there. You can do whatever you want but it has to be a team effort.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Engineer Fired
2. Re: Valve Engineer Fired Feb 13, 2013, 10:03 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 09:28:
Valve is actually pretty aggressive about firing people who don't mesh with their culture, they just have NDAs which is why we don't often hear about it. I was watching a January conference talk where Gabe was doing the keynote and he was talking about one of the difficulties is that Valve is a very sink or swim place and that they don't do a lot to help people adjust since everyone is too busy.

I could see Ellsworth not meshing well with their culture either. I followed her off and on for quite a while before she joined Valve. She's immensely talented and a brilliant woman but she's very independent and most of her best projects are things she did by herself. I wonder if the type of collaborative culture Valve is built around just didn't suit the way she works.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter
2. Re: Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey Kickstarter Feb 8, 2013, 11:41 Parallax Abstraction

peteham wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 11:32:
Going to fund the bejeezus out of this one, even though I'm still enraged about Dreamfall's damn cliffhanger-ending.

I am too but they claim this is picking up right where it ended so at least we aren't left hanging. TLJ is still my favourite game of all time. I can't wait for this!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo