Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3228 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Free EA Expansions on GOG.com
14. Re: Free EA Expansions on GOG.com Dec 21, 2012, 09:33 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, this is damn impressive on both GOG's part and EA's. They could have charged for these expansions and I think very few people would have complained. Personally, I easily would have paid a couple of bucks for Alien Crossfire at least. Giving it away for free is just damn classy.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
18. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2012, 14:25 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 13:52:
Is Hitman Absolution worth $25? I loved Blood Money for point of reference.

It is no Blood Money, not by a long shot but I still liked it. I'd say it's worth $25 (or $20 if you can get the Amazon deal).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gas Powered Countdown
4. Re: Gas Powered Countdown Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

These guys have been radio silent for so long since the Demigod debacle, I was wondering if they were still around, especially since they sold all their previous IP off to Square Enix a while back. I'll be interested to see what it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Kickstarter either.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Frontier Layoffs
8. Re: Frontier Layoffs Dec 17, 2012, 13:39 Parallax Abstraction

Bhruic wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 12:29:
There are lots of reasons to cast doubts on E:D, but them laying off, what, 6% of their staff? doesn't seem like one of them.

Maybe this will then. As tweeted by Introversion Software. The company's finances are in fact not healthy at all. Frontier is primarily a work-for-hire developer in a similar vein as Eurocom who recently went bankrupt after 25+ years in business because publishers are dropping low to mid grade projects like rocks right now. This is partially because we're at the end of a console cycle and also because people have finally smartened up and largely stopped buying low end titles that were slapped together in 10 months for $60. Some of Frontier's work-for-hire games were apparently pretty good so quality may not be their issue but I'd wager they've had some projects yanked out from under them. The shoddy way their Kickstarter was first presented reeked of a project created out of desperation and those financial figures would seem to indicate that. If the project fails, there will probably be a much bigger round of layoffs. Not that I want to see Frontier fail but backing a project that seems to have been thrown together at the last minute in order to save the company is a project that I would say comes with a lot more risk to backers than others might.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 9, 2012, 23:26 Parallax Abstraction

Almost bought an 840 but found a new in box 830 for a similar price and heard they were better performing so I jumped on that. Really glad I avoided the 840 now. I thought dumb stuff like this was normally what you'd expect from OCZ SSDs, not Samsung.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
27. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 17:02 Parallax Abstraction

Apparently one part of Windows 8 being a walled garden makes it a "catastrophe" but an entire box being a walled garden is A-OK if Valve does it. OK Gabe, sure. And yeah, he said "our hardware will be a very controlled environment,"

He wants to think Windows 8 is a "catastrophe" because of the completely optional Windows Store, that's his opinion and that's cool. But if Valve's going to do the same thing with the entirety of their living room box, I can't see how that's anything but hypocritical. I don't run Windows 8 and honestly, do kind of want to see Metro flop. But this seems a little two-faced to me.

That said, it'll probably still be cool and I'm interested to see their ideas.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > November NPD Results
16. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 7, 2012, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:17:
If NPD has no estimate even for online, I'm amazed PC sales has only dropped so little YoY. You would think there would have been a sharper drop off if it's just retail.

A lot of people still buy Blizzard games at retail. Between Diablo 3 and Pandaria, I bet those alone kept the retail PC numbers high this year.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 09:35 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 09:21:
My non-medicated (PA got me there ) comment was about the claims of NPD's irrelevance. I strongly disagree with such claims in light of revenues that are in excess of US$2 bn. Just because they don't cover the (without a doubt important and growing) digital market does not make them irrelevant. NPD data is certainly interesting and relevant to those who understand it and those who know how to put it to use.

There is a world beyond the horizon of some kiddies who are online a lot and think that retail is irrelevant when clearly it is not.

Here's the thing though. You're right in that using irrelevant as a general term for NPD might be a bit strong. There is a two pronged failure taking place here, both on NPD's part and the gaming press. NPD's failing is that they're still pitching this monthly report as a good general barometer for the health of the games industry as a whole and it's not any more. It was at one point when the only way to buy games was in a box from a store but that's not the case any more. This report covers one segment but that underplay that and keep acting as if the industry as a whole is represented here. They do that for one reason: Analysts have to pay a lot of money for their report and they want to keep that subscription money rolling in. But the report is simply not nearly as useful as it once was.

And of course, the bigger failing is on the gaming press themselves which routinely doesn't point out the gaping flaws in NPD's current methodology and uses their report as an easy way to generate clicks through controversy. When people in forums and guys who run blogs no one reads are the ones who have to point out that it doesn't include all retailers, countries outside the US or any digital services, there's a massive problem somewhere. They also don't provide any context, like say for example how hardware sales are down because we're at the end of a 7 year old generation or how most luxury industries are down as a whole right now because there's still a massive worldwide recession going on.

Both of these groups contribute to the misinformation permeating the gaming community that the industry as a whole is represented by this report because it's not. AAA games are hurting big time right now, that can't really be denied but the games industry is doing much better than NPD reports. It may not be totally irrelevant but as a barometer of industry health as a whole, it's not all that useful any more. But as has been the case for years, the enthusiast press is pretty useless.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 05:49:
Aaah here go the little kiddies again... "but... but... but... I uuuuse Steeeeaaam and I am reeeealllly revellant and all that".

Cute.

No, really. Cute.

But could you kindly shut the fuck up, kids, while us adults realize that revenue in excess of 2+ billion is relevant enough to be covered by the NPD Group (or any other research facility for that matter).
My, thank you very much, kids, and now back to your Count0r Strii!!ke r0XX0r gaming on Steam but try to be quiet, kthx? Cool.

CJ, did you forget to take your meds again? The doctors told you what happens...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

10. Re: November NPD Results Dec 7, 2012, 08:52 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 22:36:
If you have to preface your data by saying it doesn't include a shred of information on the fastest-growing segment of the market by a massively huge margin every time you release it isn't that kind of admitting it isn't worth a damn?

... NPD's inevitable irrelevance.

I like your page Parallax Ab. - I especially like how you give it to Apple whenever you can!

Well, no one in the press is going to do it so I figure I might as well for the half dozen people who read my blog.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: November NPD Results Dec 6, 2012, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

Another month, another step towards NPD's inevitable irrelevance.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle Grows
6. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 22:08 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:07:
The amount of revenue generated from the humble is already more than half their market cap value, and that by itself is both amazing and distressing.

Their market cap is $8.43M, this bundle has raised $3.8M.

Hopefully this keeps them going a bit but given how many whiny indie people have been up in arms about this, I bet a lot of the money went to only the charities (also not a bad thing mind).

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 2, 2012, 16:50 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 16:10:
Dades wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 15:33:
The foot into the living room has cost them a lot and given them little in return.

Exactly, and now this is coming to bite them in the ass as people dump Windows8 for other platforms or simply stick with Win7. The traction MS wanted to gain over Apple will not happen and what will happen instead is that they realize far too late that Windows was and always will be their bread and butter and not consoles. Add to this the terrible direction that Win8 is moving towards and the sales numbers, the real ones, showing Win8 is doing far less sales than Vista did, and the nightmare scenario for MS is pretty much a given

Do you have a link to those "real" sales numbers? The only thing I can find about Windows 8 selling less than Vista is a ZDNet report using dubious sources to put it mildly. Not saying you're wrong. I have no dog in the Windows 8 fight as it were but as I understand, it's not selling horribly. PC sales are down, largely because the world economy is still in the dumps and people are realising they don't need new PCs every 2 years when all they do is surf the Internet.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround
4. Re: Far Cry 3 Uplay Workaround Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 Parallax Abstraction

Wait, so you can't play if the uPlay servers are down? Giant Bomb did a quick look of both the PC and 360 versions the other day when the servers were down and while you did have to wait for the connection to time out when you ran the game, you were still able to play. Is that different with the release version?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?
48. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 13:40 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:38:
Fion wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 13:12:
That most definitely sucks, but I'm sure that space will be filled by a different company. Some actual competition would only lead to good things.

This isn't like making cars. Processors require huge research departments that spend billions. There's a reason there are only a few CPU makers in the world, basically Intel and AMD, and ARM is dying. Motorola let their Power PC architecture die. No one is going to risk billions to go up against Intel, which has slayed all comers.

Sorry, did you just say ARM is dying...? You mean the company's who licensed architecture powers basically every modern smartphone, tablet and the vast majority of set top boxes? AMD is hurting big time right now, maybe you reversed the acronyms. ARM's killing it right now and some are saying it's Intel's next big competition.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Hotline Miami Sequel Revealed
2. Re: Hotline Miami Sequel Revealed Nov 26, 2012, 19:40 Parallax Abstraction

Would be nice if before he started working on the Mac version and the sequel that he made the PC version not a buggy mess. I still experience massive slowdown, bad collision detection crashes and Steamworks support is still not working. Finish one game you've asked for money for before the next please.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 26, 2012, 10:19 Parallax Abstraction

Kitkoan wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 19:54:
Long story short, he's returning it for an Alienware laptop. And he's already looking at replacing his iPhone for an Android, etc... Too many problems with Apple products. You wouldn't notice the issues if you replace them every year, but if you don't, it's bad. Laptops that overheat easily, now screens that all but self destruct, home buttons that break after a year rendering the iPhone useless, etc... Add to it the crappy customer service now and there isn't any reason to buy Apple.

Well, there's fashion which is the primary reason their products are selling the volumes they are right now. Not that Apple's going to crash and go anywhere any time soon but their current growth path is not sustainable, it's a fashion trend.

If you want to see where their quality is these days, take a look at a Twitter feed called @applenag. It's a guy who has been a loyal Apple user since the early 80s and has multiple iPhones, iPads and Macs. And he deals with issues constantly that are common among power users of any platform. The difference being that most Apple fanbois sweep them under the rug or brush them off, lest they tarnish the image of their favourite perfect company, this guy states them all plainly (though I admit, I'm sure he over embellishes some of them for dramatic effect). Apple products have the same kinds of issues related to quality in both hardware and software as most other electronics do. They're not worse but they aren't nearly as better as the company, their fanbois (and especially their prices) would have you believe.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Eurocom Layoffs
3. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 16:21 Parallax Abstraction

Ravor wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 15:44:
There's like 2 billion people on the planet with a cell phone so with a bit of marketing you think that would be a viable way to go. Shrug

I dunno, everything I've read lately suggests mobile's becoming as hit driven as consoles. 2 billion people own a cell phone but of those that are buying games, 99% of them buy Angry Birds and maybe one or two other things from the top charts on the App Store and never bother looking for anything else. The barrier to entry's a lot lower but these days, you have about as much chance of having a hit mobile game as winning the lottery, unless you're publisher backed of course. For Eurocom and many other devs, it was probably either this or go under so at least it gives them a means to stay alive. I just remember a year ago when people said that nobody could fail in mobile and social games. How quickly things change...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Eurocom Layoffs
1. Re: Eurocom Layoffs Nov 23, 2012, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

I understand they're up against it and there probably isn't much work in the console space right now but geez, another big developer entering the crowded mobile market where chances of success are even less? Good luck to them but I wonder what chance they really have. I mean, in the last two weeks I think I've read 3 or 4 stories of small teams that had highly anticipated mobile releases come out and went under after because no one bought them.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
2. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 22, 2012, 13:50 Parallax Abstraction

Not that Sony isn't hurting right now but Fitch was also one of the credit agencies that rated a whole ton of sub prime mortgages as AAA, as well as many of the investment banks peddling in them, practically up until the day they collapsed.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3228 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo