Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3228 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Atari U.S. Files for Bankruptcy
3. Re: Atari U.S. Files for Bankruptcy Jan 21, 2013, 09:08 Parallax Abstraction

Even when the industry was doing really well back in 2003-2008, Atari still managed to lose buckets of money. They've been run by clueless twit after clueless twit for more than a decade, they just managed to somehow survive longer than similarly badly run companies like Midway. The only thing that's kind of a shame is a lot of classic IP might end up being split up and sold to companies that might not do anything with it. Beyond that, the industry's better with this company gone.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs
49. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 19:50 Parallax Abstraction

Well, it's not like I needed another reason to not play this game. I was really looking forward to the new ideas that were being shown off too. Thanks EA.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Codemasters Faces Layoffs
1. Re: Codemasters Faces Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 Parallax Abstraction

So all Codemasters makes now is racing games but the layoffs they're planning largely affect the studio that develops racing games? What's left for them after that?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Majesco Layoffs
1. Re: Majesco Layoffs Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 Parallax Abstraction

Yet another failing company thinking the rapidly softening mobile gold rush is a path to salvation.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 22:04 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 20:06:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 15:04:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 13:54:
Funny how much can change in 2 years. 2 years ago many supposedly wise people were predicting that Zynga was "the future of PC gaming", and were proclaiming that gaming on a PC would forever be the domain of grandma playing Farmville on Facebook.

Shows you just how useless the majority of "analysts" are. Most of the time, they're just getting paid large sums of money to talk out of their asses. Pachter and Dent are prime examples of this.

It wasn't just analysts. Were you at GDC 2009? Or was it 2010? Whichever the case, every single panel talked about Zynga. Every single one. Developers, not analysts, were falling all over themselves to figure out how to be more like Zynga, or how to go to Zynga (look at all the amazing PC developers that flocked there. Half the Civ 2-4 teams!)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying only analysts were pumping the Kool-Aid. They may have started the ball rolling and much like the financial collapse, continued to pimp the company as a sure bet until reality made it impossible but a lot of other people drank the Kool-Aid wholesale. The same reckoning's coming to the mobile space soon in my opinion. Not in the same way since mobile still has a bunch of nimble indie developers in it but the Rovios and ngmocos of the world are going to get a similar reality gut check before too long, I'm certain of it. Gold rushes always run dry eventually.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 15:04 Parallax Abstraction

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 13:54:
Funny how much can change in 2 years. 2 years ago many supposedly wise people were predicting that Zynga was "the future of PC gaming", and were proclaiming that gaming on a PC would forever be the domain of grandma playing Farmville on Facebook.

Shows you just how useless the majority of "analysts" are. Most of the time, they're just getting paid large sums of money to talk out of their asses. Pachter and Dent are prime examples of this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March
10. Re: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March Jan 11, 2013, 22:56 Parallax Abstraction

Developed by Terminal Reality. 'Nuff said.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Double Fine in THQ Mix
10. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:53 Parallax Abstraction

Devinoch wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 20:22:
They're trying to buy Psychonauts back on the cheap, I imagine.

They already own the Psychonauts IP. Their publishing deal with Majesco expired a couple of years ago and all the rights reverted to them.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD 2012 Results
13. Re: NPD 2012 Results Jan 11, 2013, 15:54 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 13:21:
Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 12:27:
How would PC development would help?

Steam billions of dollars should be all the answer you need about this. PC games can and often do make the difference in publisher's fiscal quarters.

How do you figure this? At least when it comes to AAA titles (i.e. the big publisher driven ones), when PC sales are disclosed, they're always well below console sales. Obviously they're high enough for them to keep doing PC versions but a game that sells a million units between console and PC usually seems barely able to crack 150,000 on the PC platform. Is that trend changing as far as you're able to tell?

Given the very limited scope that NPD uses, I'm still very much in the "they're not useless but certainly not nearly as representative of industry health as they'd like to claim" camp.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
5. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 10:12 Parallax Abstraction

Here's hoping that for this one, they actually use a real new engine and don't blatantly lie to their fans by using the same ancient version of GameBryo, rebranding it and calling it "all new."  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > More on Steam Hardware
2. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 8, 2013, 21:53 Parallax Abstraction

MuzixMon wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 21:30:
If these new boxes are Linux based will they still work with games designed for Windows? Or will there be a limited selection of titles until more support for Linux based games? I'm glad they aren't using a Microsoft OS, after what MS did to PC gaming they don't deserve one red cent from us.

There's some limited ability to emulate the stuff needed for Windows games in Linux but it's just that, limited. The hardware that's been shown in a lot of these tiny concept PCs wouldn't be up to it. Unless you were to install Windows on them yourself or Valve manages to entice a lot of big developers to step into the nightmare that is high-end gaming on Linux (which I highly doubt), it will greatly limit the number of titles you'll have access to.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
23. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 12:55 Parallax Abstraction

Someone already tried to make an MMO out of this. They went under before it was released. I love Firefly to death but I just don't see how an MMO with any kind of appeal would work with that.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > THQ Investors Call Shenanigans
21. Re: THQ Investors Call Shenanigans Jan 4, 2013, 11:45 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:15:
1) THQ management today is what, a year or so old? They hired a new president and he blitzed the entire old management team. Brian Farrell still has a job, but he no longer has most of the power. Most of his yes-men are gone

A lot of the yes men are gone but Farrell's still the Chairman and CEO. He is higher up the totem pole than Jason Rubin or anyone else. And stupid crap like the uDraw was his idea. The core of THQ's problems is still running things. Much as I think splitting up the company is a dumb idea, Farrell doesn't deserve his job and I think THQ's long-term survival depends on him getting kicked to the curb. Rubin gets it, Farrell hasn't ever.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 09:10 Parallax Abstraction

After reading parts of this thread, I can't possibly imagine why so many people think there's sexism in the game industry and community.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fez Ports Planned
18. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 15:39 Parallax Abstraction

ItBurn wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:59:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:53:
Fish is a douchebag but I've come to realise that if I started boycotting every game where a douchebag was involved, I'd never play anything. The world is full of douchebags and a lot of them are creative types. I don't fault anyone who doesn't buy the game because of him, it's your money, do what you want. I just sort of reformulated my thinking to try to base viewpoints on the games and not the people behind them because doing the latter means you will find something that bothers you about nearly every creative endeavour.

Personally, I'm curious to see how it is on PC but I'd actually really love to see a Vita version. This would be great to play on my lunch hours.

The thing is, making good games is f-ing hard. It helps when the guy at the helm is arrogant, overly confident and sure of himself. Causes asses need to get kicked, decisions need to be made and work needs to be done. Sometimes it comes off as being an asshole. It's also possible to make good games without that and also assholes can make bad games...

Steve Jobs is the prime example of this (though he didn't make games.) The guy was a horrible human being in general and a nightmare to work for but look what his ideas and management style created.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fez Ports Planned
16. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 14:53 Parallax Abstraction

Fish is a douchebag but I've come to realise that if I started boycotting every game where a douchebag was involved, I'd never play anything. The world is full of douchebags and a lot of them are creative types. I don't fault anyone who doesn't buy the game because of him, it's your money, do what you want. I just sort of reformulated my thinking to try to base viewpoints on the games and not the people behind them because doing the latter means you will find something that bothers you about nearly every creative endeavour.

Personally, I'm curious to see how it is on PC but I'd actually really love to see a Vita version. This would be great to play on my lunch hours.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Tomb Raider Multiplayer
16. Re: Tomb Raider Multiplayer Dec 29, 2012, 21:27 Parallax Abstraction

DangerDog wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 17:14:
PC Gamer says this game is one QTE after another, push forward on the thumbstick to win.

PC Gamer was completely off the mark on Hitman: Absolution too (especially performance wise). Not to say this won't be like they say but I don't take their pre-release word to mean much. I think multiplayer on its face sounds dumb but people thought Naughty Dog was on crack when they added it to Uncharted and it turned out to be a massive success that's still heavily played to this day. Who knows, maybe they'll do something innovative with it like they did with Contracts mode in Hitman.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2012, 20:24 Parallax Abstraction

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 17:27:
really Ars! Like a day or two days go by and you have to do a OS X retrospective!? I'm lookin at you Kitkoan. goddamnit! lol

Well, Cheng and Foresman have to do something and it's not like they're able to do anything but fellate Apple.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2012, 11:49 Parallax Abstraction

Given that the luster is finally starting to come off the Apple fashion trend and their stock is slowly starting to settle into something resembling actual reality, I wonder if Cook's going to regret taking those long-view stock options. Though he's a smart guy, I'm sure even he realises their stock was incredibly overvalued and not sustainable where it was.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Boxing Day Tech Bits
2. Re: How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS Dec 26, 2012, 22:49 Parallax Abstraction

wtf_man wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 14:28:
Well... that was a coincidentally helpful since I just ordered a 27" iMac with a fusion drive and a nVidia 680M.

Sorry to hear that.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3228 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo