Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3271 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year
5. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year Aug 29, 2013, 09:09 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:51:
uhm.. wasn't Atlus bankrupt ? Or am I confusing this with something else now?

Index Holdings is bankrupt and it's rather sadly ironic because Atlus was basically the only division of that company actually turning a profit.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty
11. Re: Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty Aug 28, 2013, 15:21 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:53:
The reality tv of video games.

Naw, that's mobile titles. This is more like the pro wrestling of video games. It's getting notably worse every year and having to amp up the insanity to justify itself but people keep buying it because it's what they know.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Precinct Crowdfunding Cancelled
7. Re: Precinct Crowdfunding Cancelled Aug 26, 2013, 09:03 Parallax Abstraction

I kind of liked the idea but between the lack of assets, the growing number of Kickstarter disappointments and just Kickstarter fatigue in general, it was a tough road. I grew up on the old Sierra games and love them to death but most of these Sierra designers haven't done much of note in recent years (with the exception of one of the SpaceVenture guys who mostly did work at a shovelware developer) and I think a lot of people are questioning if their era of design chops can hold up in today's industry. I would have liked to have seen this at least get a shot though.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
4. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 08:54 Parallax Abstraction

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2013, 11:04 Parallax Abstraction

Amazing to see Payday 2 taking off as it is. That's very cool, especially since they said they attained profitability on pre-orders alone so everything from here on out is gravy. Very glad to see Starbreeze/Overkill doing well again after Syndicate nearly drove them under.

I do wish Papers, Please was doing better though. I finished Gone Home yesterday and I seem to be one of the few who think that game's overrated and overpriced at $20. It's very short, there's little in the way of actual game play (though to be fair, it does exactly what it was advertised to do) and the story while moving and well told is incredibly cliche and unoriginal. From everything I've read, Brothers (another Starbreeze game) tells it's story far better and in a more unique way but Gone Home is getting 9s and 10s almost universally and I really don't understand why. Papers, Please on the other hand is one of the more mechanically original titles I've seen in a long time and most of its story is directly influenced by how you approach the game play systems.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2013, 11:10.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2013, 09:20 Parallax Abstraction

KS wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 03:58:
nin wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 20:48:
I think it's a valid issue. Things have gotten way out of hand...

This kind of shit is ridiculous.

What? You bought a brass HO-scale railroad model locomotive, and we removed some pieces six months after you bought it because it was too cool, and you have the nerve to be upset?

The idiots nerf things instead of boosting others. If balancing is needed, aside from wildly broken stuff, boost other things to compete better.

This is a lesson none of these ignorant game designer savages have ever learned in 15 years of online game making. They just love kicking every game player in the balls going round and round with nerfs.

Why? All you end up with are outraged customers.

Idiots.

Can't tell if serious or someone that needs to be culled from the population for the good of humanity...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GTA5 PC Confirmed?
7. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 09:18 Parallax Abstraction

I've no doubt a PC version is coming at some point but it makes no sense for Rockstar to have one ready to go at launch and still be completely silent about it now. Which sucks cause I really want to play this game at launch but yeah, the 360 will be a far inferior way to do so.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2013, 20:19 Parallax Abstraction

Given the now pretty blatant double standard applied to Apple in reviews and in the tech press in general, it doesn't surprise me that they won. Apple's already reviewed in a different universe from everything else and their problems (of which there are many if you look into it) are always swept under the rug. But then again, a lot of people are still willing to pay a substantial premium for inferior tech if it looks fashionable.

That said, based on my experience in tech support working with literally every brand on that list, I'm quite surprised. Toshiba is among the preferred brands I recommend to my clients currently. My girlfriend has a 2010 Toshiba Satellite that's had the crap beaten out of it and it still works great. Acer is a garbage peddler and always has been and while I like HP's corporate laptops, their consumer models are poorly built junk with some of the most laughably bad tech support I've ever seen.

As others said, the article's a joke that uses terrible criteria.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

The thing I don't like about the two Phil Fish articles is that unlike most other indie creators, Fish actively participated in and encouraged the kind of Internet scummery that made him "leave games." Jonathan Blow and countless others face the same disgusting Internet venom as Phil Fish but they don't tell critics to kill themselves or choke on their dicks. They either ignore it or put out measured responses. That Fish chose to stoop to the levels of the trolls is his fault, no one else's. If he can't control his tempter, than he shouldn't use social media. Contrary to what everyone thinks, it's not required to live or to successfully promote an indie game. The Internet is indeed a horrible place filled with horrible people but that Fish chose to often be one of those people is on him and him alone.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
8. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 16:20 Parallax Abstraction

I will bet a $20 donation to charity that this is a gross marketing stunt by Fish, exploiting his fanbois (of which there are many) to either go after Marcus Beer and GT or just to generate hype. Given the amount of free press this stunt got yesterday, I'd say it's working too. I am certain FEZ II will resurface. I normally separate art from artist but if this is true, it's a disgusting exploitation of his fan base and I won't support him.

Word to the wise Phil: You can't constantly act like the worst kind of asshole, then play the victim and act like no one appreciates you. If you don't want to be thought of as an asshole, maybe you should stop you know, being such an asshole.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > New Strider Game Announced
4. Re: New Strider Game Announced Jul 18, 2013, 23:35 Parallax Abstraction

KTR wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 23:21:
Strider is being developed by Double Helix Games

Crap. First Killer Instinct, now this.

Yeah, I was all excited about a new Strider game until I saw the developer's most recent work was Battleship. Seriously Capcom, you're trying to sell this to people with fond memories of Strider. Those people are going to be hardcore gamers that expect and demand quality. If you're going to just hand it to a shovelware team, you might as well not bother. Hell, WayForward's a multi-team studio, give it to them!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Resuming This Month
9. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Resuming This Month Jul 13, 2013, 11:02 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 10:53:
Redmask wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 10:16:
People will defend anything on the internet *shakes head*

Yeah, like the basic principle of law. Or being a bit confused at the crap people post on the web. Just because 1 or 2 dudes are assholes doesn't mean everyone in that country or company is one.

But don't let the hate train stop on my account ;p

Also that you know, people are innocent until proven guilty and all that.

The guy was also instantly fired as soon as he was arrested (which could bite Precursor if he ends up being acquitted) so he's not involved any more. I don't plan to contribute to this for other reasons but yeah, if one guy getting accused of a crime is enough to turn you off the project, you might as well stop consuming all media.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2
6. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 10:44 Parallax Abstraction

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:37:
Deep Silver seems to be making alot of strides to try and put out decent titles as of late.

Well, Ride to Hell being a big exception but yeah.

I really hope inXile can nail this. Their history as a developer is...mixed at best. I backed this though and I'm rooting for them!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > NPD Digital Tracking Coming
1. Re: NPD Digital Tracking Coming Jul 3, 2013, 10:03 Parallax Abstraction

So they're going to TOTALLY become more accurate with digital sales but openly admit they won't be tracking everyone (very likely Steam isn't a part of this since they don't give numbers to anyone) and won't say who their partners are. In other words, this report is still largely useless and irrelevant as it has been for years. But GamesIndustry International loves two things: NPD and analyst quotes. Not surprised to see them hyping this up.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2013, 13:32.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
23. Re: Apple Seeks to Trademark ‘IWatch’ in Japan for Devices. Jul 1, 2013, 23:49 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:26:
J wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 13:49:
I look forward to Apple vacuum cleaners

The iSuck?

Okay, Blackberry, time to call it quits. If you get outsold by the fucking WINDOWS PHONE, there really is no justification for your existence anymore.

Creston

RIM (now BlackBerry Inc. I guess) is still very successful in government and enterprise. They've lost the consumer market though and did a long time ago. They need to give that up and focus on their core markets. If they do that, they can continue to thrive in their little niche. They'll never be top dog again but they can survive and do fine. We still use BlackBerries at my work (against my objections) and I got a Z10 to demo a couple months back. They're actually really nice devices and BB10 is a really good operating system. They just still can't figure out how to get people to support it. My girlfriend also has a Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8 is a really solid OS, just again, they need to get people writing apps for it.

Android's come a long way but still isn't mainstream friendly. And well, Apple's still riding a fashion trend with an OS that's basically Windows 3.1 interface wise compared to the competition. iOS 7 looks horrendous from what I've seen of it. But their popularity is already peaking and they'll plateau soon enough. It's hard to attain long-term, sustainable success in the fashion business which is what Apple has been in since 2007.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Whore of the Orient Raises Cash
3. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

1. Run a company terribly and in an exploitative manner.
2. Have your company go bankrupt despite your one project selling reasonably well.
3. Get free taxpayer dollars despite clearly learning nothing.
4. ???
5. Profit?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 15:28 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 22:47:
Haha, holy shitballs it just keeps getting better!

GameStop No Longer Taking Xbox One Pre-Orders

Shortly after Microsoft and Sony held their E3 press conferences on June 10, GameStop had pre-order SKUs in their system for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 respectively. With price points and launch windows announced, both systems were available for consumers to reserve almost immediately. Just over a week later, the pre-order SKU for Xbox One has been removed from GameStop’s system corporate-wide without explanation.

As of this morning, GameStop management has confirmed that they are not currently taking reserves on Xbox One. No official explanation has been given for the removal of the SKU at this time, and GameStop has not clarified whether or not they will re-open the reserve list at a later time. PlayStation 4 is still available for reserve, and Sony recently announced that GameStop has pledged to buy every PlayStation 4 they can get their hands on.

Man, MS is just F'd in the A.

From what I've read elsewhere, this is because GameStop ran out their launch allocation. Amazon had a similar thing happen with the PS4 until Sony promised to ship more units to them. Some are also speculating that Microsoft's having major component yield problems with the Xbox One and there may not be that many of them available at launch as a result.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2013, 15:04 Parallax Abstraction

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 13:24:
@ASeven - I don't see why you like that reply, as it completely misses the point. NPD's software report is dependent upon only the physical sales in the US. That means not only does it ignore Europe (which surpassed the US in video game sales more than five years ago) but also digital distribution, which makes up a significant portion of the market (if not the majority). As for the hardware numbers, of course they'll be reported as they're still accurate (at least a lot more so than the software numbers).

Software sales haven't declined by 44% since 2000 and the fact that NPD suggests that's the case demonstrates how hopelessly inaccurate it is.

ASeven has been toting this doom and gloom narrative for a while now, referencing things like the '83 crash while providing no evidence of his own and only pointing to this NPD report which was rendered all but irrelevant years ago. I've no idea why and obviously, to say the industry doesn't have some major problems right now is to ignore reality. But the degree to which he's insisting everything is collapsing right now is specious at best, especially considering software drops like this that are 1) in a month where there weren't many big new releases and 2) are this far into the end of a hardware generation and perfectly normal and expected. That software sales are down isn't as huge an issue as you might think if it's what the industry projected and planned around which by all accounts, is what's happening.

But some people get off on watching things fail. I can't wait to see what he says when the industry wakes up and realises that the mobile space so many are calling the saviour of gaming is even more hit driven than AAA and that if you aren't an outlier like Rovio, you have almost no chance of making real money in that space.

NPD has been a source of cheap, clicks-through-controversy stories for years now. I applaud Gamasutra for stepping up and having the balls to call it what it is: Useless as a barometer of industry health. This is the site that's run extensive charts on NPD before and regularly touts the whole "all gaming will be on tablets and social networks in 5 years" nonsense. Dropping NPD certainly doesn't do them any favours. Except you know, actually looking a bit more like actual journalists.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects
9. Re: IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects Jun 17, 2013, 19:30 Parallax Abstraction

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 16:46:
Absolution can't have sold well, the game dropped to ~$20 in what seemed like a few weeks. I haven't played any of the hitman games so I can't comment on their quality. Obviously people liked them or they wouldn't have made what..4 or 5 games and a derpy movie.

It sold almost 4M copies but the idiots at Square Enix expected it to sell something like 6M. These are the same executives who called Tomb Raider a failure despite it selling more than any previous iteration in franchise history ever did.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500
16. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:07 Parallax Abstraction

Unreal. Interplay's a shell company that solely exists so the scumbag Caen brothers can continue to draw a paycheque from the company they looted and razed. They're in worse financial shape than THQ was when they went bankrupt, they've just kept the company as a husk rather than letting it go under. Of all the companies that bought THQ IP, no one could have found the change in their couch cushions to buy FreeSpace for $7,500? Hell, having the rights to GOG releases alone would probably make that back in no time. Mind boggling.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3271 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo