Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3359 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
44. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 16:05 Parallax Abstraction

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:33:
The easy fix is letting companies set whether they want to allow refunds or not and then displaying that decision prominently to consumers when they go to buy.

What incentive does any developer have to do that though? I suppose they could use offering refunds as a marketing point but I feel like if this was something developers wanted to do, they'd already be doing it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 12:16 Parallax Abstraction

Alamar wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 11:34:
When I read this the other day, I had no idea who Puppygames was, and that they made that neat selection of games, like the one you mention... So bad, it has a 91% rate on Steam for ~700 reviews...

I'm glad those people liked it. The thing is, some people can not like the things a bunch of other people like. I hated Gone Home as well, most people didn't. If a pile of people liked Titan Attacks, good on em'. I bet they kept the game and didn't get their money back, the dev succeeded and everyone's happy. Personally, since I didn't care for it, I would have enjoyed having the refund policy in place when I bought it so I could have gotten my money back and given it to a developer that makes something I enjoy more. What's bad about that?

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 12:24.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

16. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:14 Parallax Abstraction

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:41:
Games like Audio Surf, geometry wars, Beat Hazard, etc... are the indie type games that will get decimated by this policy. They are the type of impulse buy games that people will eventually think, "great game but I'll return it and wait for it to be $2.50" after an hour of playing.

I personally just don't see that happening. People who are going to wait for a sale would have just waited for it anyway. Yes, it skews the numbers if they buy it at full price, return it and but it again on sale but again, if they wouldn't have bought it to begin with unless it was on sale, the net result is the same.

The developers will then start building unnecessary 2 hour mandatory "tutorials", with long boring no bypass non interactive in game cut scenes to combat it. :(

That's not going to happen because not only will it piss off the customers who are happily buying games at full price, it'll still cause refunds to happen. I tell you what, if I buy a game and find out they jammed in an unskippable 2 hour tutorial to combat refunds, I'd immediately quit out and request one. If you're going to waste the time of legitimate customers to combat what were really non-customers to begin with, you've messed up big.

IMHO the best way to combat it is to turn the refund to a penalty based approach. For each minute of play time you deduct 1% the game price from the refund, and at the end of 100 minutes you can't get one.

That's actually an interesting idea but that could also be abused by developers with your two hour tutorial thing. Suddenly we might see super long menu animations or long load times or unskippable cutscenes, the same thing that's happening now and if having to sit through that stuff is actually going to cost consumers money, I think we're going to see a lot more people just becoming gun shy again and refusing to buy stuff at launch until they hear this kind of thing. In the end, it still doesn't really work out.

Again, make a game people want and they'll buy it and keep it. If they are returning it, you should look at why they are and maybe why they don't like your product. Valve has an anti-abuse policy in place for the return system and the people that will partake in abuse of it probably weren't your customers in the first place. Just like DRM, if you punish the real customers to combat non-customers, you're messing up.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 10:27 Parallax Abstraction

I'm not sold on the idea of Steam Machines but it's worth noting that The Verge is a site that's run a number of different paid advertorial campaigns for Microsoft. They're also a site that relies on controversial clickbaiting more than actual journalism. Anything that comes from them should be taken with a mountain or two of salt.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 10:25 Parallax Abstraction

I did a blog post about this with a video rant to go with it. In my opinion, there is nothing bad about Steam refunds. Aside from the sheer arrogance of some of these uber-niche indie developers who think the entire system should bend to their will (because the failure of their projects is never their fault, it's always someone else's fault), there's some major flawed logic at play here. They assume that everyone who buys and beats a less than two hour game will always request a refund and they assume that everyone who is doing so would have bought the game in the first place.

I think this is just showing the reality that maybe some of their games aren't as good as they thought they were. I can tell you, as someone who has played Titan Attacks from Puppygames, I wish the refund policy was in place then because that game was bad. But like I said, it's always someone else's fault that your game doesn't sell, never cause for some self-reflection on your creation. Just because you think your game is good doesn't mean it is and it doesn't mean you're entitled to success.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Project CARS Sells 1M
7. Re: Project CARS Sells 1M Jun 6, 2015, 17:14 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 05:09:
1 mil? SteamSpy shows about 160k owners on Steam. If the game requires Steam, that means the vast majority of sales were on consoles.

SteamSpy is also known to be very inaccurate when it comes to sales numbers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale Begins
21. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Begins Jun 3, 2015, 16:44 Parallax Abstraction

Lord Tea wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 11:52:
nin wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 10:16:
I've been buying more gog lately, not only for it's exclusives, but the fear that one day steam will finally do something unforgivable and I'll be done with it. The fact that a lot of the kickstarts I back end up with an extra redeemable key helps as well.

So...... what if some day GOG will do something unforgivable? Inquisitive

You keep the DRM-free downloaded copies you have and keep playing without issues.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 2, 2015, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

In regards to the Polygon article, never have I read something where "check your privilege" is actually the perfect response. Even by the pretentious, arrogant standards of Polygon, that article was abysmal. That no editors stopped it from being published just shows how much contempt for the medium that site has. If they keep pushing this hard, I think a lot of publishers and developers are just going to decide they aren't worth dealing with any more. They're arrogant enough to think that won't happen but honestly, if I worked in Harmonix (or CD Projekt Red for that matter) PR right now, I'd be cutting that site off if that's what I could expect out of them.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 28, 2015, 09:58 Parallax Abstraction

gravity wrote on May 28, 2015, 09:41:
Wut?! Let me get this straight...

GTA: San Andreas is ESRB "Adults Only?" Furthermore, I don't see "Hatred" on the list, so... unless it's updated by release-dates only, I'm not seeing a common denominator on what classifies as requiring an "AO" rating for sure.

What's so concerning about GTA:SA still? Hot coffee, aside?

The unaltered San Andreas with the Hot Coffee content in it got changed to an AO rating. The version with that removed is still rated M. Hatred is apparently not on the list because it hasn't been released yet but this is a blanket ban to all AO games. This is basically a "Don't stream Hatred" rule.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 10, 2015, 22:05 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on May 10, 2015, 17:22:
SlimRam wrote on May 10, 2015, 17:11:
A Jamiroquai game? There's no WAY this can fail.

Insanity!

Dammit nin, beat me to it!

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 9, 2015, 21:53 Parallax Abstraction

Bundy wrote on May 9, 2015, 17:27:
Yaaaaay! That's my game! Letter Farm! Thanks for posting it Blue!!! I owe you my first born, he's 8 now!

Why not, I'll give it a shot. Downloading to my Nexus 5 now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Spark Unlimited Closing
3. Re: Spark Unlimited Closing May 5, 2015, 11:56 Parallax Abstraction

I'm honestly amazed they lasted this long. Take a look at their history. They haven't made a game that wasn't a critically panned disaster. They also had rather public spats with multiple publishers who said they were terrible to work with. I don't like to see anyone out of work but the less shovelware developers, the better.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 30, 2015, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

So about a big an overpriced ripoff as most Apple products.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 29, 2015, 22:58 Parallax Abstraction

The organisation that endorsed a thought-policing Twitter blockbot written by a person with a history of harassment and abuse towards others is claiming that no dialogue is possible. Yes that's true, because you blocked everyone who dared to think differently than you.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Broken Age: Act 2 Release Plans
3. Re: Broken Age: Act 2 Release Plans Apr 27, 2015, 09:52 Parallax Abstraction

"Your old save game will work, but I personally recommend starting over from the beginning. Now, now, no grumbling. You don't HAVE to. I can't force you. YET."

Funny that they throw that out there, given that this wasn't supposed to be two games to begin with. No thanks. After the huge disappointment for me that was the first part and what a mismanaged disaster this project is, I think I'll just jump into the second part and hope it's less boring and short as the first one.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
5. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:11 Parallax Abstraction

Taking Overlord, turning into a Diablo clone and release it for next-gen machines but base it on the Unity engine so it'll look dated as Hell. This sounds like something that recent Codemasters would do.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 14:07 Parallax Abstraction

Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 10:12:
To be clear, I personally don't think that this proves that she's not in it for the money if she ignores it because such an aggressive editorial (it's barely an invitation) doesn't warrant a response. The only people who would benefit from her acknowledging this offer's existence is Breitbart.

This is a good point as well. Brietbart is a hyper right-wing tabloid rag and this is just a stunt by them. I don't consider myself part of GamerGate (though a lot of its concerns regarding twisting of facts to suit political narratives and lack of journalistic ethics in gaming are ones I've shared for the better part of 5 years now) but one of its biggest faults if looked at purely as a consumer revolt is its reliance on Milo Yianoppoulous as any kind of ally or source of reliable coverage. He used to frequently write articles shitting on gamers and gamer culture but suddenly had a "change of heart" when he had something he could bash what he perceived as left-wing extremists with. He's involved in this purely for his own gain, he doesn't care about any cause. Granted, the same can be said about a lot of press outlets on the other side too but two wrong don't make a right.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 09:53 Parallax Abstraction

It doesn't matter how much money anyone offers, Sarkeesian has staunchly avoided any form of actual debate or even questions that aren't scripted and pre-approved first. Actual feminist scholars with real academic credentials have also offered to debate her and she just ignored it. Her entire model is dependent on people not scrutinizing or questioning her because due to her self-admitted lack of actual knowledge of the medium she covers, she is unable to handle debate outside her core, scripted talking points. Her entire business model is centered around the "listen and believe" mentality she totes and merely speaking without ever having to listen back. If that changes, her house of cards will not stand.

I think video games have a lot of work to do with regards to better representation. She's not the person who should be leading that charge.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost DLC Released
4. Re: POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost DLC Released Apr 18, 2015, 00:05 Parallax Abstraction

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 23:58:
How the fuck does Running With Scissors stay in business? How many employees do they have? This question always boggles my mind.

I've always wondered that too. They've only ever put out three games, most of which were critically panned and largely didn't sell and Postal 3 was such a disaster, it basically didn't work and still doesn't. I know at first, you could only buy it in Russia. Either they're a quietly awesome contract developer or there's something really shady going on there.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 11:24 Parallax Abstraction

To the tech press, nothing can kill the iPad because that would require them to say that Apple didn't make the best of something. Those of us who don't live in the Reality Distortion Fields have known that for years but this is the tech press so...  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3359 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo