Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3197 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade
7. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 10:17 Parallax Abstraction

Watch Dogs 2 was greelit internally at Ubisoft based solely on pre-order numbers. It's definitely coming. I got it for cheap on PS4 and have been playing it there and it feels like Assassin's Creed 1 did in many ways. Some cool ideas and a neat world but execution that falls flat in many places. The first incarnation Altair was a pretty lousy character too. But AC2 got a lot better, I suspect the same will happen here too. I do find it funny though that Ubisoft has an entire "editorial" department designed to help people write the best stories they can and despite that, Aiden is what we got.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 8, 2014, 16:45 Parallax Abstraction

The Forest and The Stomping Land are so early and broken, they barely work at all. And yet, they're #1 and #2. Remember when people used to lose their minds about paying for games that were broken?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 7, 2014, 23:56 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 17:25:
Seriously, Cutter, your posts are never, ever accurate because you always base them on a sensationalized headline and not the content. How are you so often commenting without reading?

It got him your attention though.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Why World of Darkness Went Dark
16. Re: Why World of Darkness Went Dark Jun 6, 2014, 00:10 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 11:15:
CCP obviously read George Broussard's "How To Make A Game 101" guide.

Nah. The company hasn't yet crashed and the founders aren't continuing to think they're God's gift to the industry in spite of that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > 64-Bit PC Dead Rising 3 Confirmed
10. Re: 64-Bit PC Dead Rising 3 Confirmed Jun 5, 2014, 13:34 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 12:28:
Will it come with GfMFWL? It IS Capcom after all.

"Dead Rising 3 for PC will include Steam platform support with Steam Achievements, Steam Cloud, Steam Trading Cards, global leaderboards and full game controller support. Also compatible with the keyboard and mouse, players will be able to toggle back and forth between the two in real time. "

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2014, 17:31 Parallax Abstraction

It's too bad. I had a Windows Phone provided by my employer for a number of months and quite liked it. The interface blows the dated one from iOS out of the water. My girlfriend has a Lumia 920 and swears by it. Given that there are as many Windows Phones in the world as there are Macs and per capita, its growth is surging while the other two are saturating, it kind of feels like a decent sized market to ignore.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
7. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 29, 2014, 19:38 Parallax Abstraction

As someone recently laid off, I hate to see more people out of work but Mythic has been making nothing but scummy, exploitative F2P mobile garbage for the last few years. And studio director Paul Barnett who I used to like but who has since become a real arrogant twit has been saying that the only reason people are complaining about Dungeon Keeper Mobile is because "they don't understand the art of F2P yet" and "they should get used to it because all games will be F2P in 5 years." He actually said those things on a Giant Bomb stream. Hey Paul, maybe people actually DON'T like your "art" eh? Of course, he'll still keep some high paid position in EA while the rest are kicked to the curb.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Tropico 5 Preorders Soar
14. Re: Tropico 5 Preorders Soar May 21, 2014, 13:10 Parallax Abstraction

Cpmartins wrote on May 21, 2014, 11:43:
Wait, coop, as in same map coop Transport Tycoon style?

I've been wondering about the co-op too but none of the coverage I've seen so far has really talked about it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Minimum Early Access
4. Re: Minimum Early Access May 13, 2014, 12:47 Parallax Abstraction

I definitely agree that this is probably best avoided in Early Access (though Early Access in general has become a mess lately) but Atari of right now is not the scummy company of the last decade or so. The guy who bought them out of bankruptcy is a hardcore gamer and seems very interested in making them a small, competitive company in the downloadable space. He bought this game from TimeGate because he saw promise in it. Obviously, they still have a lot to prove (and I'm not touching anything branded Atari for a while until I see reviews) but yeah, it's not the same company any more.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization May 11, 2014, 00:01 Parallax Abstraction

I love how so many in the games press are still talking about how mobile is the future, meanwhile the entire mobile industry brought in what only two of the larger AAA publishers bring in during the same period.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 9, 2014, 13:00 Parallax Abstraction

Next acquisition in Apple's strategy to bolster their line of overpriced fashion items, Monster Cable! They made the first Beats headphones after all.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > EA Financials
9. Re: EA Financials May 6, 2014, 22:27 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:50:
I shudder to think they get to rape Bruce Lee. And yeah, if they're doing so well how come their own shareholders are suing them?

Shareholders want to get richer with the least amount of work possible. Successful companies are sued by them all the time too. If a shareholder even thinks you could have earned a little bit more money by doing something even slightly different than you did, they'll sue you. Because you know, taking more money away from the company because they didn't earn as much as you think they could (without the burden of responsibility that actually comes with being the CEO) is totally for the company's long-term benefit.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
44. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 16:45 Parallax Abstraction

NetHead wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:27:
I think someone else recently pasted this about Zenimax/Bethesda on Blue's. I think it's well worth posting again as what's going on between them an Oculus so far doesn't seem all that surprising or unusual.

http://geekbravado.com/2013/06/04/bethesdas-shady-business-isnt-unusual/

Thanks for plugging my blog post again. I should point out that what I stated in that post is just based on my own experience with similar companies and (anonymous) posts that were linked elsewhere. I certainly have no factual knowledge of the insides of ZeniMax and whatnot but yeah, stuff like this just seems to reinforce that this is how they do business. The guy who runs ZeniMax has a very ethically checkered professional history (I remember Notch linked to some court documents about him during the Scrolls nonsense.) Stuff like this will always come back to bite people one day. You can't run your business with the intent of screwing over everyone you work with before you run out of people willing to work with you.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
6. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 15:09 Parallax Abstraction

ZeniMax is a company with a pretty scummy history. This is no doubt a petty move to try to punish Carmack for abandoning the sinking id Software ship after selling it to them.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 1, 2014, 10:32 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on May 1, 2014, 09:15:
Stealth Inc 2 revealed as a Wii U exclusive.

Thanks asshole dev!

I can't possibly imagine why he'd want to do this. Aside from there being not many Wii Us out there, no one's buying indie games on them. I recently read an article about how lousy Nintendo's been at courting indies too so I can't imagine they're funding his development. What a weird move.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Daylight
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Daylight Apr 29, 2014, 18:57 Parallax Abstraction

Neilsouth wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:57:
Awful game avoid! Not scary and extremely boring, you can finish it in an hr or two

Yep. Everything I've read about this indicates it's another Zombie Studios game: i.e. bad. I watched Giant Bomb's quick look this morning and it's just a bunch of running around while very little happens and the writing is almost comically bad. This is one of those developers like Spark Unlimited that continually cranks out mediocre to crap games and yet somehow stays in business while quality developers fold.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 27, 2014, 23:51 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 12:41:
Saturation at 6 months in can't be good. Yet I'm pretty sure it was said that both consoles have had higher adoption rates (vs time) this generation than the previous, when we were comparing numbers a few weeks ago.

One things for certain: MS has to (and will) bring every single thing it can to this years E3.

It's not necessarily saturation. They might just have been overproducing and decided to slow down a bit. It's not uncommon in the electronics industry, it just didn't used to get reported on a lot. That said, Sony's kind of kicking their ass right now so they really need to bring big games too. A price drop by removing the Kinect no one wants probably wouldn't hurt either.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 26, 2014, 20:30 Parallax Abstraction

Apple: "How DARE you try to use the phone you paid for with your own money for what you want to do with it! We are Apple, you pay us to tell YOU what to do!"  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ
15. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 23:11 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 22:55:
Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 16:28:
Ozmodan wrote on Apr 20, 2014, 15:16:
Smedley has totally flipped his lid on this game. It is going NOWHERE! What a complete waste of development staff. I have always known him to be an idiot, but now we see he is way beyond that and in fact a complete imbecile!

How challenging is killing zombies? It gets boring as hell fast!. So all they have left is pvp and there FAR BETTER pvp games out there than this one will ever be.

Yeah, I'll still never understand why he wasn't terminated with extreme prejudice after Vanguard. SOE really needs to get rid of him.

Vanguard? The game they rescued on the cheap when the previous publisher backed out and ran profitably for 7 years? The reason Smedley is there probably has something to do with the fact that he's been with the company from the beginning, is popular there, and SOE is a profitable division.

Vanguard was a stinker in terms of where McQuaid and friends thought it would go, but it wasn't a financial loser for SOE.

Stop injecting logic into this! There's hatin' to be done!

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > March NPD Results
3. Re: March NPD Results Apr 18, 2014, 18:57 Parallax Abstraction

Axis wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 10:36:
NPD has been irrelevant for PC for years.

At least on consoles people still primarily purchase media more than digital.

NPD is irrelevant completely now. Many more digital sales are happening on console now and the best they can do is guess them. They're not even worth reporting on any more.

Parallax Abstraction

3197 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo