Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3348 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spark Unlimited Closing
3. Re: Spark Unlimited Closing May 5, 2015, 11:56 Parallax Abstraction

I'm honestly amazed they lasted this long. Take a look at their history. They haven't made a game that wasn't a critically panned disaster. They also had rather public spats with multiple publishers who said they were terrible to work with. I don't like to see anyone out of work but the less shovelware developers, the better.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 30, 2015, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

So about a big an overpriced ripoff as most Apple products.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 29, 2015, 22:58 Parallax Abstraction

The organisation that endorsed a thought-policing Twitter blockbot written by a person with a history of harassment and abuse towards others is claiming that no dialogue is possible. Yes that's true, because you blocked everyone who dared to think differently than you.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Broken Age: Act 2 Release Plans
3. Re: Broken Age: Act 2 Release Plans Apr 27, 2015, 09:52 Parallax Abstraction

"Your old save game will work, but I personally recommend starting over from the beginning. Now, now, no grumbling. You don't HAVE to. I can't force you. YET."

Funny that they throw that out there, given that this wasn't supposed to be two games to begin with. No thanks. After the huge disappointment for me that was the first part and what a mismanaged disaster this project is, I think I'll just jump into the second part and hope it's less boring and short as the first one.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced
5. Re: Overlord: Fellowship of Evil Announced Apr 23, 2015, 13:11 Parallax Abstraction

Taking Overlord, turning into a Diablo clone and release it for next-gen machines but base it on the Unity engine so it'll look dated as Hell. This sounds like something that recent Codemasters would do.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 14:07 Parallax Abstraction

Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 10:12:
To be clear, I personally don't think that this proves that she's not in it for the money if she ignores it because such an aggressive editorial (it's barely an invitation) doesn't warrant a response. The only people who would benefit from her acknowledging this offer's existence is Breitbart.

This is a good point as well. Brietbart is a hyper right-wing tabloid rag and this is just a stunt by them. I don't consider myself part of GamerGate (though a lot of its concerns regarding twisting of facts to suit political narratives and lack of journalistic ethics in gaming are ones I've shared for the better part of 5 years now) but one of its biggest faults if looked at purely as a consumer revolt is its reliance on Milo Yianoppoulous as any kind of ally or source of reliable coverage. He used to frequently write articles shitting on gamers and gamer culture but suddenly had a "change of heart" when he had something he could bash what he perceived as left-wing extremists with. He's involved in this purely for his own gain, he doesn't care about any cause. Granted, the same can be said about a lot of press outlets on the other side too but two wrong don't make a right.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 09:53 Parallax Abstraction

It doesn't matter how much money anyone offers, Sarkeesian has staunchly avoided any form of actual debate or even questions that aren't scripted and pre-approved first. Actual feminist scholars with real academic credentials have also offered to debate her and she just ignored it. Her entire model is dependent on people not scrutinizing or questioning her because due to her self-admitted lack of actual knowledge of the medium she covers, she is unable to handle debate outside her core, scripted talking points. Her entire business model is centered around the "listen and believe" mentality she totes and merely speaking without ever having to listen back. If that changes, her house of cards will not stand.

I think video games have a lot of work to do with regards to better representation. She's not the person who should be leading that charge.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost DLC Released
4. Re: POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost DLC Released Apr 18, 2015, 00:05 Parallax Abstraction

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 23:58:
How the fuck does Running With Scissors stay in business? How many employees do they have? This question always boggles my mind.

I've always wondered that too. They've only ever put out three games, most of which were critically panned and largely didn't sell and Postal 3 was such a disaster, it basically didn't work and still doesn't. I know at first, you could only buy it in Russia. Either they're a quietly awesome contract developer or there's something really shady going on there.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 11:24 Parallax Abstraction

To the tech press, nothing can kill the iPad because that would require them to say that Apple didn't make the best of something. Those of us who don't live in the Reality Distortion Fields have known that for years but this is the tech press so...  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2015, 20:18 Parallax Abstraction

Squirmer wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 19:20:
Saboth wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 15:39:
I'm not sure how this is a "transphobic" joke.

The man intended to have sex with a woman. The woman was a man pretending to be a woman.
How are you this oblivious. It's a joke at transgender people's expense, and if I were a transgender woman I would find this joke really offensive too. Not only does it deny transgender people's identity (hello what even is gender), it also implies that suicide is preferable to intimacy with those transgender freaks. If you can't see how that's offensive you've got a serious empathy deficiency.

Not that you'll care but I'll leave this here. The joke is transphobic if only interpreted in one, narrow way. The joke also makes light of suicide but I guess that doesn't matter. And once again, this is by the same developer who made a game full of some of the most offensive humour ever put in a video game. Where was the outrage then? If this hadn't been started by a person who has a history of stoking outrage culture and who hasn't repeatedly used #KillAllMen, I might be inclined to take it more seriously. A person who does such things calling what others make hateful has a serious hypocrisy problem.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2015, 20:34.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2015, 17:28 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 16:05:
I thought it was funny that both Obsidian and the backer used the text change to comment on the situation. Obsidian's initial change to remove the "offending" original text:

Here lies Firedorn, a bard, a poet.
He was also a card, but most didn't know it.
A poet he wrote in jest was misread
They asked for blood, so now he's just dead.

The author's replacement for that:

A cube made of mallow,
A sweet, fluffy fellow,
Was held in the fire.
When pink turned to black,
Ready was the snack,
Roasted on the pyre.

It should also be noted that Obsidian is now facing a backlash from the same perpetually offended people because the replacement texts lightly pokes fun at how stupid this controversy was to begin with. They're called the perpetually offended for a reason. These people are not their customers, they should be at worst, ignoring them, at best, telling them to take their self-righteous outrage somewhere else.

You have every right to be angry about a joke you deem offensive. You have every right to say why. That's as far as it goes. You don't get to demand anyone change it because of your feelings. You're not that important.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2015, 14:49 Parallax Abstraction

I don't know why companies continue to rush to placate the perpetually offended minority (and it was a very small minority of people who complained about this, most of whom wouldn't have played PoE anyway.) The thing I find so ridiculous is that people were getting upset at Obsidian about this joke, yet this is the company that made South Park: The Stick of Truth, probably one of the most offensive (and designed that way) video games in recent memory and no one complained about that. The person who started this bandwagon too also proudly and unironically uses the hashtag #KillAllMen on a regular basis. And this is who Obsidian decided to side with, instead of the backers who made their game possible.

At the end of the day, it isn't a huge deal. I still have PoE as a backer reward and I don't plan to scream for a refund or anything. I personally will consider this should they ask for crowdfunding again though. If a handful of people for whom being offended is a hobby are more of an influence on you than your customers, your priorities are wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2015, 09:51 Parallax Abstraction

If there's one tech company and tech CEO who don't deserve their success more than most others, it's GoDaddy and Bob Parsons. Scumbags through and through.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Mar 31, 2015, 21:45 Parallax Abstraction

So she isn't remotely close to finishing her first series that was Kickstarted, despite it being years late and the first episodes relying on stolen footage and assets and in some cases, outright falsehoods to boot but now she's starting another one? I'm sure her backers are thrilled. Who am I kidding, most of them don't care.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 30, 2015, 10:46 Parallax Abstraction

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 16:44:
OH. MY. GOD.

So back from 1999 to 2003, I did on-site high-speed Internet installs for one of Canada's big telecartels. This was when most PCs didn't have network cards so our job was to go on-site with a cable guy, install a NIC, provision the modem, install our software (which we never did cause it was buggy crap that broke machines) and make sure everything worked. We were paid piecemeal per successful installation. If we couldn't get them online, we didn't get anything and if the customer's computer failed during the install for any reason, the company always sided with the customer and left us to fix it on our dime, even though the EULA said we weren't responsible for system damage.

You wouldn't believe how many installations I did in places just like the one in that story and in some cases, way worse. Think marijuana grow ops, places where there was literally 5-6 inches of garbage covering every square inch of the floor, apartment buildings where people regularly took dumps in the elevators, houses in low income neighbourhoods that strangely had leather couches, big screen TVs and pimped out Escalades in the driveway. At one install, I was the third tech as the previous two had walked away because the nearly 70 year old male customer was grabbing their asses while they worked (all the techs were male.) At another, I was in one of those dealer houses and the customer had a bunch of his "boys" surround my car outside as "protection" (which actually meant "You better not fuck this up or something will happen to your ride.") At two others, we saw young kids being forced to live in such squalor, we ended up calling the Children's Aid Society when we left.

In all these cases, we had to try to complete the work because not only would we not get paid if we walked away but when the customers inevitably complained, we would always get reprimanded for it. We were independent contractors and could be let go for any reason and the company was more concerned about successful numbers, both for investors and because this is when all the big telecartels were in a customer gain war so they wanted every install they could get. We actually walked away from the "garbage house" I mentioned above and we were strongly advised to go back and get the job done, even if it meant going in with garbage bags taped around our shoes. Those who refused either ended up with no calls for a few days or would get their calls suddenly staggered all across the city, often having to go back and forth multiple times a day (did I mention we paid all our own car expenses too?) Yeah, I really don't miss that place.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Interviews
28. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 15:42 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 14:54:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 11:19:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:01:
Gamergate would never have become a thing if zoe and friends hadn't started censoring people and trying to black list / threaten those who talked about it.

They kicked a bee hive and are now telling their story about how awful bees are and how much they got hurt.

Stop kicking the bees.

The /r/kotakuinaction is going strong. Far as I know that is what gamergate has become, a sub reddit focused on ethics issues.

When they aren't constantly whining about whatever z-list Twitter celebrity rambled on about on a given day.

The whining about z-list Twitter celebrities (almost always female) outnumbers discussions about ethics at least 10-1.

They're not almost always female. Far from it. But yes, a subreddit that actually did start out discussing ethics is now just whining about what people said on Twitter and forums. Any attempt to continue the "consumer revolt" has long since died there and the moderators don't at all seem to care about trying to keep the sub discussion in some kind of cohesive state.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 11:19 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 10:01:
Gamergate would never have become a thing if zoe and friends hadn't started censoring people and trying to black list / threaten those who talked about it.

They kicked a bee hive and are now telling their story about how awful bees are and how much they got hurt.

Stop kicking the bees.

The /r/kotakuinaction is going strong. Far as I know that is what gamergate has become, a sub reddit focused on ethics issues.

When they aren't constantly whining about whatever z-list Twitter celebrity rambled on about on a given day.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2
11. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 16:06 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 12:37:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 12:33:
Bloody finally. There's no way this can live up to how insanely overbudget and time it went but at least it's out. I was one of the few who was actually pretty underwhelmed by part 1 but I hope this one is great.

No you are not part of the few ,) The first part was complete weak sauce for any adventure / point and click fan. Nice art, but zero substance. And basically baby's first steps in a point a click when it came to difficulty...

Also, they spent I don't know how much of their budget on getting Elijah Wood to voice Shay and I thought it sounded incredibly phoned in and bland. I agree on the difficulty too. I'm not a fan of old school adventure game "moon logic" but this was basically a linear progression.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2
9. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 12:33 Parallax Abstraction

Bloody finally. There's no way this can live up to how insanely overbudget and time it went but at least it's out. I was one of the few who was actually pretty underwhelmed by part 1 but I hope this one is great.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Kojima to Leave Konami After The Phantom Pain?
1. Re: Kojima to Leave Konami After The Phantom Pain? Mar 19, 2015, 16:13 Parallax Abstraction

Konami basically doesn't make games any more aside from Metal Gear Solid stuff (and now Silent Hills which was also Kojima Productions) and now they've gone and ostracized the people who make Metal Gear Solid. They might as well just flip the sign on their gaming division and just focus on their fitness club business.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3348 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo