Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3200 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 17, 2013, 23:14 Parallax Abstraction

Before, iOS was just ugly and dated and looked like the Windows 3.1 of mobile. Now it's all of those things with less defined buttons so it's even harder to use.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 08:58 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 08:28:
You're the first person I've seen quote in a long time, surprised he even bothers anymore.

Anyways Apple seems to be mired in complacency and stagnating. Cook has been good at keeping the gravy train going but not so good at actually introducing new concepts and products.

And that's only going to carry him so far. The iPhone 5S has a fingerprint scanner (which I give odds people will use for about a week before it annoys them), a spec bump and somehow, they managed to make iOS even uglier with v7. And with the iPhone 5C, Apple's officially joined the race to the bottom they thought themselves better than. Except they haven't really of course because despite the 5C being made of materials Apple took the piss out of others for using barely a year ago, it's still over $500 without a contract. Yet this phone's supposed to get Apple into emerging markets? Clueless. Android isn't the unstable, battery sucking mess it used to be and it's rapidly eclipsing iOS in terms of features and iteration speed. Windows Phone may not have many good apps but it's a fantastic mobile OS. Apple can only ride this fashion trend so far and given the "meh" response I largely saw the other day, I hope they have something big in the pipe. Actually I don't because I think Apple (and particularly, their obnoxious fan base) needs to be cut down several pegs.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter
8. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 19:57 Parallax Abstraction

beigemore wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 17:18:
There was an excellent version of RCR for the PC-Engine. Exactly like the NES version but with more colors and a CD audio soundtrack. Was great.

Is that so? I don't know how I missed that before! I'll have to go looking for that.

Parallax Abstraction

4. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 14:57 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:07:
I could have sworn this had already been attempted, but I'm not finding it on KS...

This particular title was announced as having a Kickstarter coming a while ago but it didn't launch until today. They were actually waiting until Canada became officially supported by Kickstarter which is just did. The developer also recently had to rebrand due to trademark issues. I imagine there have been other 8-bit brawlers that have attempted Kickstarters as well by now.

Parallax Abstraction

1. Re: River City Ransom: Underground Kickstarter Sep 10, 2013, 10:07 Parallax Abstraction

Not only am I a massive RCR fan but this is being done by a team in my home town and it's rare to see games made in Ottawa these days! Backed for $40.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 9, 2013, 14:34 Parallax Abstraction

Nolan Bushnell's contributions to the beginning of video games are huge but seriously dude, Nintendo's having issues but they're a 100+ year old company that was profitable for it's entire life until a couple of years ago and who by the way, saved the console industry after the Atari-led crash. Meanwhile, after running Atari into the ground (though not alone by any means), Bushnell has a string of failed companies since, including a couple like Chuck E. Cheese which managed to bring themselves back to prosperity after his exit. His commentary on business is not perhaps the best gospel.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Next Car Game on Greenlight
2. Re: Next Car Game on Greenlight Sep 8, 2013, 12:40 Parallax Abstraction

The guy who is the public face of this game is a regular on a forum I hang out on and he says this is doing well on Greenlight but every little bit helps. This is a game that definitely deserves to get through that broken system.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 16:10 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:54:
Alright, he's now said he was sorry, so we can let the whole fucking issue go and it need never ever ever ever ever be fucking mentioned again.

This is about the fourth time he's apologised. Maybe if he's keep his mouth shut and stop doubling down on the stupid, people would actually think he's sorry. That's the funny part, this keeps getting reignited not because other people keep bringing it up but because Krahulik keeps talking abotu it and sticking his foot further in his mouth. He needs to shut up.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Metro: Last Light - Tower Pack
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Metro: Last Light - Tower Pack Sep 4, 2013, 13:33 Parallax Abstraction

Was really hoping for more story focused DLC like a lot of other titles have been doing lately. This pack and the last one basically only amount to challenge modes which isn't what Metro Last Light is about to me. I so hope that like Clash In the Clouds for BioShock Infinite, this is just a holdover while they work on the bigger stuff.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year
5. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year Aug 29, 2013, 09:09 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:51:
uhm.. wasn't Atlus bankrupt ? Or am I confusing this with something else now?

Index Holdings is bankrupt and it's rather sadly ironic because Atlus was basically the only division of that company actually turning a profit.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty
11. Re: Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty Aug 28, 2013, 15:21 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:53:
The reality tv of video games.

Naw, that's mobile titles. This is more like the pro wrestling of video games. It's getting notably worse every year and having to amp up the insanity to justify itself but people keep buying it because it's what they know.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Precinct Crowdfunding Cancelled
7. Re: Precinct Crowdfunding Cancelled Aug 26, 2013, 09:03 Parallax Abstraction

I kind of liked the idea but between the lack of assets, the growing number of Kickstarter disappointments and just Kickstarter fatigue in general, it was a tough road. I grew up on the old Sierra games and love them to death but most of these Sierra designers haven't done much of note in recent years (with the exception of one of the SpaceVenture guys who mostly did work at a shovelware developer) and I think a lot of people are questioning if their era of design chops can hold up in today's industry. I would have liked to have seen this at least get a shot though.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
4. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 08:54 Parallax Abstraction

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2013, 11:04 Parallax Abstraction

Amazing to see Payday 2 taking off as it is. That's very cool, especially since they said they attained profitability on pre-orders alone so everything from here on out is gravy. Very glad to see Starbreeze/Overkill doing well again after Syndicate nearly drove them under.

I do wish Papers, Please was doing better though. I finished Gone Home yesterday and I seem to be one of the few who think that game's overrated and overpriced at $20. It's very short, there's little in the way of actual game play (though to be fair, it does exactly what it was advertised to do) and the story while moving and well told is incredibly cliche and unoriginal. From everything I've read, Brothers (another Starbreeze game) tells it's story far better and in a more unique way but Gone Home is getting 9s and 10s almost universally and I really don't understand why. Papers, Please on the other hand is one of the more mechanically original titles I've seen in a long time and most of its story is directly influenced by how you approach the game play systems.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2013, 11:10.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2013, 09:20 Parallax Abstraction

KS wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 03:58:
nin wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 20:48:
I think it's a valid issue. Things have gotten way out of hand...

This kind of shit is ridiculous.

What? You bought a brass HO-scale railroad model locomotive, and we removed some pieces six months after you bought it because it was too cool, and you have the nerve to be upset?

The idiots nerf things instead of boosting others. If balancing is needed, aside from wildly broken stuff, boost other things to compete better.

This is a lesson none of these ignorant game designer savages have ever learned in 15 years of online game making. They just love kicking every game player in the balls going round and round with nerfs.

Why? All you end up with are outraged customers.

Idiots.

Can't tell if serious or someone that needs to be culled from the population for the good of humanity...

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GTA5 PC Confirmed?
7. Re: GTA5 PC Confirmed? Aug 13, 2013, 09:18 Parallax Abstraction

I've no doubt a PC version is coming at some point but it makes no sense for Rockstar to have one ready to go at launch and still be completely silent about it now. Which sucks cause I really want to play this game at launch but yeah, the 360 will be a far inferior way to do so.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2013, 20:19 Parallax Abstraction

Given the now pretty blatant double standard applied to Apple in reviews and in the tech press in general, it doesn't surprise me that they won. Apple's already reviewed in a different universe from everything else and their problems (of which there are many if you look into it) are always swept under the rug. But then again, a lot of people are still willing to pay a substantial premium for inferior tech if it looks fashionable.

That said, based on my experience in tech support working with literally every brand on that list, I'm quite surprised. Toshiba is among the preferred brands I recommend to my clients currently. My girlfriend has a 2010 Toshiba Satellite that's had the crap beaten out of it and it still works great. Acer is a garbage peddler and always has been and while I like HP's corporate laptops, their consumer models are poorly built junk with some of the most laughably bad tech support I've ever seen.

As others said, the article's a joke that uses terrible criteria.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

The thing I don't like about the two Phil Fish articles is that unlike most other indie creators, Fish actively participated in and encouraged the kind of Internet scummery that made him "leave games." Jonathan Blow and countless others face the same disgusting Internet venom as Phil Fish but they don't tell critics to kill themselves or choke on their dicks. They either ignore it or put out measured responses. That Fish chose to stoop to the levels of the trolls is his fault, no one else's. If he can't control his tempter, than he shouldn't use social media. Contrary to what everyone thinks, it's not required to live or to successfully promote an indie game. The Internet is indeed a horrible place filled with horrible people but that Fish chose to often be one of those people is on him and him alone.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
8. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 16:20 Parallax Abstraction

I will bet a $20 donation to charity that this is a gross marketing stunt by Fish, exploiting his fanbois (of which there are many) to either go after Marcus Beer and GT or just to generate hype. Given the amount of free press this stunt got yesterday, I'd say it's working too. I am certain FEZ II will resurface. I normally separate art from artist but if this is true, it's a disgusting exploitation of his fan base and I won't support him.

Word to the wise Phil: You can't constantly act like the worst kind of asshole, then play the victim and act like no one appreciates you. If you don't want to be thought of as an asshole, maybe you should stop you know, being such an asshole.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > New Strider Game Announced
4. Re: New Strider Game Announced Jul 18, 2013, 23:35 Parallax Abstraction

KTR wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 23:21:
Strider is being developed by Double Helix Games

Crap. First Killer Instinct, now this.

Yeah, I was all excited about a new Strider game until I saw the developer's most recent work was Battleship. Seriously Capcom, you're trying to sell this to people with fond memories of Strider. Those people are going to be hardcore gamers that expect and demand quality. If you're going to just hand it to a shovelware team, you might as well not bother. Hell, WayForward's a multi-team studio, give it to them!

Parallax Abstraction

3200 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo