Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3156 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Whore of the Orient Raises Cash
3. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

1. Run a company terribly and in an exploitative manner.
2. Have your company go bankrupt despite your one project selling reasonably well.
3. Get free taxpayer dollars despite clearly learning nothing.
4. ???
5. Profit?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 15:28 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 22:47:
Haha, holy shitballs it just keeps getting better!

GameStop No Longer Taking Xbox One Pre-Orders

Shortly after Microsoft and Sony held their E3 press conferences on June 10, GameStop had pre-order SKUs in their system for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 respectively. With price points and launch windows announced, both systems were available for consumers to reserve almost immediately. Just over a week later, the pre-order SKU for Xbox One has been removed from GameStopís system corporate-wide without explanation.

As of this morning, GameStop management has confirmed that they are not currently taking reserves on Xbox One. No official explanation has been given for the removal of the SKU at this time, and GameStop has not clarified whether or not they will re-open the reserve list at a later time. PlayStation 4 is still available for reserve, and Sony recently announced that GameStop has pledged to buy every PlayStation 4 they can get their hands on.

Man, MS is just F'd in the A.

From what I've read elsewhere, this is because GameStop ran out their launch allocation. Amazon had a similar thing happen with the PS4 until Sony promised to ship more units to them. Some are also speculating that Microsoft's having major component yield problems with the Xbox One and there may not be that many of them available at launch as a result.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2013, 15:04 Parallax Abstraction

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 13:24:
@ASeven - I don't see why you like that reply, as it completely misses the point. NPD's software report is dependent upon only the physical sales in the US. That means not only does it ignore Europe (which surpassed the US in video game sales more than five years ago) but also digital distribution, which makes up a significant portion of the market (if not the majority). As for the hardware numbers, of course they'll be reported as they're still accurate (at least a lot more so than the software numbers).

Software sales haven't declined by 44% since 2000 and the fact that NPD suggests that's the case demonstrates how hopelessly inaccurate it is.

ASeven has been toting this doom and gloom narrative for a while now, referencing things like the '83 crash while providing no evidence of his own and only pointing to this NPD report which was rendered all but irrelevant years ago. I've no idea why and obviously, to say the industry doesn't have some major problems right now is to ignore reality. But the degree to which he's insisting everything is collapsing right now is specious at best, especially considering software drops like this that are 1) in a month where there weren't many big new releases and 2) are this far into the end of a hardware generation and perfectly normal and expected. That software sales are down isn't as huge an issue as you might think if it's what the industry projected and planned around which by all accounts, is what's happening.

But some people get off on watching things fail. I can't wait to see what he says when the industry wakes up and realises that the mobile space so many are calling the saviour of gaming is even more hit driven than AAA and that if you aren't an outlier like Rovio, you have almost no chance of making real money in that space.

NPD has been a source of cheap, clicks-through-controversy stories for years now. I applaud Gamasutra for stepping up and having the balls to call it what it is: Useless as a barometer of industry health. This is the site that's run extensive charts on NPD before and regularly touts the whole "all gaming will be on tablets and social networks in 5 years" nonsense. Dropping NPD certainly doesn't do them any favours. Except you know, actually looking a bit more like actual journalists.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects
9. Re: IO Interactive Lays Off Staff; Cancels Projects Jun 17, 2013, 19:30 Parallax Abstraction

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 16:46:
Absolution can't have sold well, the game dropped to ~$20 in what seemed like a few weeks. I haven't played any of the hitman games so I can't comment on their quality. Obviously people liked them or they wouldn't have made what..4 or 5 games and a derpy movie.

It sold almost 4M copies but the idiots at Square Enix expected it to sell something like 6M. These are the same executives who called Tomb Raider a failure despite it selling more than any previous iteration in franchise history ever did.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500
16. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:07 Parallax Abstraction

Unreal. Interplay's a shell company that solely exists so the scumbag Caen brothers can continue to draw a paycheque from the company they looted and razed. They're in worse financial shape than THQ was when they went bankrupt, they've just kept the company as a husk rather than letting it go under. Of all the companies that bought THQ IP, no one could have found the change in their couch cushions to buy FreeSpace for $7,500? Hell, having the rights to GOG releases alone would probably make that back in no time. Mind boggling.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC
4. Re: Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition for PC Jun 6, 2013, 10:18 Parallax Abstraction

This is really weird. It's been out for so long on consoles and I think the sequel is due this year maybe? Very weird for it to come to PC now. I've heard and seen things about this game that might make it interest me (despite it apparently being several hours too long) and if it looks better and runs better on PC, that's definitely the way to play it. I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer
20. Re: DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer Jun 5, 2013, 09:07 Parallax Abstraction

Did someone say Duck Tales? /shamelessplug  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2013, 09:00 Parallax Abstraction

Fantaz wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 23:06:
Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 21:57:
It's like you can hear the rats scurrying off that sinking ship. You'd have to be nuts not to have been looking for another job for ages now if you worked for them.

My friend's mobile company was bought by them (renamed "Zynga Toronto") and he has only good things to say about Zynga. Their software engineers are the highest paid in the entire industry and their stock is doing very well and will only get better.

Everyone who got bought by Zynga had good things to say about them until their teams were gutted and the stock options they were largely acquired with ended up being worth a fraction of what the company IPO'd at. It's good that your friend has largely avoided the axe for now but at the rate Zynga's going, it's only a matter of time.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > EVE Online DDoS Attack
9. Re: EVE Online DDoS Attack Jun 2, 2013, 18:48 Parallax Abstraction

NeOCidE wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 16:11:
I don't think you're that far from the truth.....I really can't see why else EVE would be attacked.

Could be that. It could also just be some hacker who either found an exploit in their system or just decided to do it so he could say "I took EVE down."

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Crysis 3: The Lost Island Announced; Due Next Week
2. Re: Crysis 3: The Lost Island Announced; Due Next Week May 30, 2013, 09:46 Parallax Abstraction

I got this for cheap on PC and beat the single player after two sitting last week. I tried out the multiplayer and there was about 6 games that actually had people in them and none of them were full.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 21:31 Parallax Abstraction

Julio wrote on May 24, 2013, 11:03:
It's an insult to Vista to lump it in with Windows 8. Vista>Windows 8...

I'm no fan of vanilla Windows 8 but Windows 8 with Classic Shell beats the pants off Vista and even Windows 7 in many ways. That Start Screen is madness though. At least the 8.1 update gives the choices back. It may have been an arrogant move but they are at least owning up to it in some form. Finally.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 24, 2013, 09:49 Parallax Abstraction

If Microsoft was doing something like this (artificially constraining supply to manipulate prices), they'd already be in court over it. Between this and the amount of articles defending Apple's tax avoidance strategies under the excuse "Well Microsoft does it too!", it's clear the incredible double standard for Apple in the press is alive and well.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
39. Re: Trion Layoffs May 18, 2013, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on May 18, 2013, 13:03:
The real reason Cutter thinks he's always right is that every time he is right, he points it out. Every time he is wrong, no one gives enough fucks to call him on it. Someone could literally go through his post history and list hundreds of times he was wrong, but he knows no one is going to waste that kind of time on him.

Plus, like you said, even a broken clock is right twice a day. If you say everything sucks and everything is going to fail in an industry wher e most things do suck, and most things do fail, you're hardly showing any kind of special insight. You're just making the safe bet.

So you're saying that Cutter is actually Michael Pachter's Blue's persona?

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 16:22 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on May 18, 2013, 16:11:
NegaDeath wrote on May 18, 2013, 16:03:
Its a bit ironic hearing that from a developer that just had massive layoffs.

Not to mention them calling another company the walking dead...

Yeah, that's what I find funny. I own a Wii U and love it but yeah, there are many valid concerns about its future, though I do think it's WAY too early to call it dead yet. People said the same thing about the DS and 3DS and both are doing very well now.

The irony is just a guy from EA calling Nintendo the walking dead. Nintendo's been around 100 years and only started losing money for the first time ever two years ago and is now showing a profit again, even with the Wii U's horrible numbers. EA just canned 10% of its workforce and were it not for the buckets of money it's making from selling mobile cow clickers to people who wouldn't know a quality game if it bit them in the ass, they'd probably be in way worse shape than they are now.

People in glass houses and whatnot.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale
13. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 21:54 Parallax Abstraction

netnerd85 wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:06:
Yosemite Sam wrote on May 13, 2013, 20:52:
TB says
That guy is a douche of the most first class douches.

He also knows his shit. And well, the irony of you posting that is thick indeed.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sun Setting on Silicon Knights?
4. Re: Sun Setting on Silicon Knights? May 10, 2013, 11:51 Parallax Abstraction

Yeah, after looking into this, Precursur Games is basically Silicon Knights II. SK is basically dead (they don't even have an office any more) but they're not putting it into bankruptcy because if they do, Epic and others might be able to come after Precursor for their owed monies instead. I wouldn't be surprised to see Epic file a legal motion to force Silicon Knights into liquidation in light of this, though Epic did seem to be OK with Precursor purchasing some of their assets.

As a Canadian taxpayer who had my government pour many millions into this sinkhole of a company, I think anyone who contributes to Precursor's crowdfunding is setting themselves up to get fleeced. Dyack's a terrible manager and if this project has him in an executive capacity (which it does), I'd stay far away.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rumor: TimeGate Staff Laid Off
9. Re: Rumor: TimeGate Staff Laid Off May 9, 2013, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

A:CM aside, it's a shame that what killed them was having to pay millions to those scumbags at SouthPeak. That company has screwed over many developers over the years. They basically find reasons to not pay them and hope they go out of business before they can win a lawsuit. SouthPeak has a think less than a one cent stock price right now and has basically stopped releasing games. This $7M of ill-gotten money (which admittedly they won't get much of now) is the most income they've probably seen in years.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews May 8, 2013, 14:37 Parallax Abstraction

Ahh yes, if it's an attractive woman, she obviously got where she is because of her looks. If those who think that did 5 minutes of reading on Jade Raymond, they'd know she actually worked quite hard and is well regarded in the industry as an exceptional project manager. But she's cute so that must be why right. And people claim there isn't a sexism issue in the industry. Christ.

This isn't Jessica Chobot we're talking about here. Look her her game industry "origin story", compare it to Raymond's and spot the differences. They're rather significant.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Capcom Financials
2. Re: Capcom Financials May 8, 2013, 10:18 Parallax Abstraction

The one good thing I read about these earnings on Gamasutra is that Capcom is now saying that DmC: Devil May Cry has done better than expected, even though after release, they were saying it was the worst selling Devil May Cry game so far. I'm really happy to see that I guess it had a bit of a longer tail. It's a fantastic game and I say that as someone who liked the original games as well. I hope Ninja Theory gets to make another one.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Showdown Effect Free DLC
1. Re: The Showdown Effect Free DLC May 8, 2013, 08:42 Parallax Abstraction

This game looks kind of neat but aside from being fairly buggy at launch, I heard it never got much of a community. I'd like to try it out but only if there's people playing. Anyone know if there's a crowd for this?  
Parallax Abstraction

3156 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo