Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3202 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
13. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 11:45 Parallax Abstraction

Pr()ZaC wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:13:
Man... I remember how the economy AI in Dune 2 worked. It cheated so badly I used a trainer to cheat back :p

C&C1 did the same thing. I remember in one map, I had high level units that had the AI's based completely blockaded. They used up all their Tiberium and to get a harvester to another field required sending it through my blockade. I literally let the game sit and run for over an hour and the AI just constantly built more harvesters, even after it would have long run out of funds. It just kept randomly finding more money. WarCraft 1 did this too. Lots of games creating challenge through cheating back then.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2013, 20:14 Parallax Abstraction

A good realisation but wayyyyyy too late now Ballmer.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 11, 2013, 11:52 Parallax Abstraction

Given the cost of the DLC, it's definitely pretty short for value but Gone Home can be finished in a similar amount of time and costs $20. And you're basically playing a pretentious, better written Dawson's Creek episode with very little actual game play and "big twists" that can be seen a mile ahead. The story's cool but it's also got all the subtlety of getting punched in the face. If this has actual game play and a much more interesting, original idea behind it, I'll probably be fine with the length.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
18. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 11, 2013, 08:53 Parallax Abstraction

WaltC wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 23:21:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 21:29:
Ludomancer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 20:27:
DanteUK wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 16:39:
Windows is dying.

Windows is dead and has been for a very long time. Win2k, outside of security problems, was the last version of windows that added anything necessary. Since then it's only been driver support, spyware and unnecessary services, and for some reason those add up to requiring exponentially more RAM and 4GB+ of HDD space to accommodate something that could, and should, exist in a few MB of RAM and used to have <1GB of a footprint. Microsoft has survived on a strategic monopoly since the late 90s. I wish they'd died a lot sooner.

If linux or apple had 100% backward compatibility with the legacy of Windows software, they would easily have claimed the majority of market share by now. I hate Microsoft so much. Despite the wonder of the modern age of computing, I fault them for thousands of hours of lost productivity.

Congrats, that's one of the most retarded statements I've ever read.

I agree--it's right up there near the summit of the "ridiculosity" scale...:) Where do these folks come from? Heh...;)

They come from using Apple products. Only Apple fanbois are this deluded and drunk on kool-aid.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2013, 16:17 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:11:
Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 14:00:
In essence he paints himself with the same brush, yeah. But there can be value in opinion pieces, just don't trust any reviews from him.

He kinda pissed me off with his braindead editorial about PC gamers not liking DRM simply because they are pirates. He earned himself a permanent spot on my blacklist after that one.

What editorial was that? He's had multiple Jimquisition episodes about piracy where he pretty much universally takes the user's sides and says DRM is stupid.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor
10. Re: Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor Oct 31, 2013, 08:32 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 21:13:
Yeah Thief is a "wait for reviews" title for me. Development process was a mess and that often leads to inconsistent and schizophrenic feeling games.

Deus Ex was rumoured to have a troubled development too though and that turned out pretty awesome. Not saying Thief will be good but hopefully they can pull a rabbit at the last minute.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Oct 25, 2013, 09:56 Parallax Abstraction

Wow! If you already own DX:HR, you get 50% off the Director's Cut upgrade. If you also own Missing Link, you get 75% off. So I can get all the extra stuff for basically $5. That's pretty cool considering I'd have to pay full price if I was a console player.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
1. Re: CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM Oct 23, 2013, 18:51 Parallax Abstraction

That's some hardcore optimisation right there!  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2013, 15:47 Parallax Abstraction

Ian Bogost put it best, though he made the same argument I've been making for years now. Apple's in the fashion business first and foremost.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Beta Status
12. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Beta Status Oct 20, 2013, 11:45 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:05:
Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:00:
This keeps looking more and more fucking awesome.

I consider this, Eternity, and Torment to be the Holy Grail of KS RPG-dom. I hope they all live up to that.

So do I. I backed all 3 of them but inXile in particular has what can be charitably described as a spotty quality record. I really hope they knock it out of the park.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 19, 2013, 23:01 Parallax Abstraction

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:08:
nin wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 17:17:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 16:47:
trollindunder wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 16:33:
Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 09:30:
The number isn't really the issue, AFAIK this was just a test. One would be too many. The Government are keen to point out how few complaints there have been, quietly ignoring the fact that maybe people are too scared to complain (if they send texts to the wrong people, would you trust them not to deport the wrong people?).

The first line is the issue: "Britain continues its slide into official xenophobia". Go Conservatives! Seriously, go. Go away.

Isn't London pretty much full of Muslims at this point? Enjoy your eventual sharia law.

Sarcasm or sincere? Must be sincere because there isn't a smiley face.

I'm going to go with "batcase fucking insane"...

I think it's awesome that the same few jackoffs can post personal insults yet Blue does zero about it. Must be nice to be above the site rules.

He also doesn't mind you being a raging, ignorant, racist douchebag either so count yourself lucky.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 16, 2013, 15:42 Parallax Abstraction

CDWarden wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 08:34:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 06:08:
You would think since android is 80% of the market they would be developing Panzer Corps for that OS instead of IOS? Oh yeah, the developers have the in love with apple syndrome.

I used to wonder about this sort of thing myself.
Rather than assume some sort of unrequited "love" of an OS, I decided to ask the question of a mobile game developer: "Why do companies generally code for iOS over Android?" In a nutshell:

There are many reasons why iOS is preferred and comes out first. These reasons include (but are not limited to) the ease of distribution and the insane fragmentation of screen size and OS versions in Android devices. Between dev and QA, it can take some companies more than a year longer to make an Android version than iOS. This is assuming that they want to make it compatible with as many devices as possible. If they only wanted to make it compatible with the Galaxy S series, they could do it pretty quick, but that would cause nerdrage and loss of business.

That's pretty much it.

But aren't a lot of those challenges the same ones faced on PC where developers seem to have no problem? I hear so many Android developers talking about how hard it is to code for every device but why even do that? Not everyone who makes a PC game has to have it run on every PC. And I thought one of the benefits of middleware like Unity was that it eliminated a lot of these issues or at least significantly streamlined them? It isn't like iOS isn't starting to have fragmentation now either between the different screen sizes, resolutions and OS updates. Yet everyone seemed to have no problem having iOS 7 revisions ready day and date.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014
19. Re: Watch Dogs Delayed to Spring 2014 Oct 15, 2013, 16:24 Parallax Abstraction

robdot wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 16:17:
its hard to believe that this enitire team doesnt know when their game is 6 months behind

I guarantee you this decision was made by executives, not the team who probably found out not long before the rest of us did.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Chronicles Pack Released
2. Re: Metro: Last Light Chronicles Pack Released Oct 15, 2013, 10:51 Parallax Abstraction

You're not missing much. I stupidly bought the season pass for this game (I normally don't, not sure what I was thinking the day I bought this) and most of the add-on content is very short and not particularly fun. I was hoping for large story-focused expansions like we've been seeing with some other games lately but this is just a bunch of tiny challenge modes for the most part. Very underwhelming.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 14, 2013, 23:14 Parallax Abstraction

Acleacius wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 21:59:
Rockstar confirms GTA Online characters can't be restored if lost
Is it due to being a console save system or is GTAO just so crappy you can't save your character from session to session?

As I understand it, the character loss was largely caused by people creating and saving a character and then if they tried to connect when the servers were down, it would show that they had no characters saved. So if they tried to create a new character in the same slot the previous one was in, that one got overwritten on the servers when they came back up. I think the latest patch for the game fixed this particular issue and at least GTA Online seems relatively stable now.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2013, 14:48 Parallax Abstraction

I really used to like Alexander's writing. Her general talent is undeniable. But it's unfortunate that every article she writes now seems to have become about how gaming is reinforcing all the bad tropes in society and apparently holding back our advancement as a people. For someone who claims to love gaming so much, she sure seems to hate it now.

She makes a number of good points sometimes, it's just a shame that she takes any disagreement as "arming our enemies" (see the dialogue she had with Shawn Elliott about sexism in the actual industry workplace side of gaming) and seems to think that social issues regarding games are black and white and that you're either wholly with one side or against it. I also stopped taking her quite as seriously when she not once but twice appeared on the Giant Bombcast completely hammered, made an ass of herself both times and then said everyone who complained about how it ruined the shows (and it did) were just sexists who hated that a woman was on.

I've no problem with people who want to talk about societal issues when it comes to games but she needs to do so without being such on a high horse.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Design Competition
4. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 12:49 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 11:55:
30 grand and he'll own the rights and sell 1000s of copies for millions.

And anyone who is smart enough to get into this will know that and is OK with it. Saying you designed a ship for Star Citizen looks pretty good on a game industry resume too. It's not like the artists who get paid a yearly salary at a big developer that sells a game for millions get a cut of that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month
4. Re: Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month Oct 10, 2013, 13:49 Parallax Abstraction

This game was criminally underappreciated and was a pleasant surprise for me. I highly recommend it if you like Uncharted-like titles.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements
31. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements Oct 8, 2013, 09:46 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 22:07:
If the dog dies, I'm hunting your fucking ass down, Bobby Kotick...

Seriously. Even worse, the dog in Ghosts is named Riley, same as my year old Burnese/Golden Retriever. They wouldn't dare...actually, they probably would. Once this game comes out, if no review mentions it, doesthedogdie.com will.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Developer List Found
11. Re: Half-Life 3 Developer List Found Oct 2, 2013, 10:32 Parallax Abstraction

Darks wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 09:44:
It amazes me that a company like Valve can squander their flagship title that made them into what they are today. I think their heads are clouded up with Steam.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently Valve makes more off DOTA 2 in like a month than they ever made off their other games. Much as I also want Half-Life 3, I think they know where their bread is buttered now. And this doesn't even count what they make from Steam.

Parallax Abstraction

3202 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo