Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3222 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 14, 2014, 08:57 Parallax Abstraction

"Brad McQuaid..."

Noooooooooooooope.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 11, 2014, 17:50 Parallax Abstraction

robdot wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 17:44:
Do they define laptops as PC"s? Does anyone still buy towers and monitors? I can't remember the last time I saw a desktop PC.

They do count laptops. Full Windows tablets I'm not 100% sure about but I think I read they were counted too.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
3. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 10:26 Parallax Abstraction

publicENEMY wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:12:
Bethesda is a company like no other. They kept releasing hits after hits, add mod support, rich content dlc, highly configurable for pc user etc. I have good faith in them.

Yep. Aside from the fact that they're still using an ancient engine (and outright lied to their fans that Skyrim was an all-new engine, it was just a rebranding of GameBryo that they got to keep when it's makers went under), their support for the PC scene is incredible. I really hop their next-gen games will actually be on a new engine.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Rekoil This Month
1. Re: Rekoil This Month Jan 5, 2014, 14:03 Parallax Abstraction

The concept of this game is cool but it involves both 505 Games and Kevin Dent. I'll definitely not be going anywhere near it until there's plenty of reviews and community opinion on it.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Hello Games Flood Follow-up
29. Re: Hello Games Flood Follow-up Dec 29, 2013, 23:53 Parallax Abstraction

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:44:
I'm sorry you're devoid of the understanding of sarcasm.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's your fault for posting something stupid and then acting like a bratty little child when called on it. Grow up.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 21, 2013, 19:39 Parallax Abstraction

This is the best they could do for Winamp? Seriously? Considering Spotify isn't even available outside the US or UK, they've basically cut the Winamp audience by a massive amount. Absolute idiocy. Well, at least there's xmplay.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
39. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 14:19 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 13:46:
Gearbox isn't publicly owned, so there's nothing for anyone to sue over.

But Sega is.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Subnautica Announced
8. Re: Subnautica Announced Dec 16, 2013, 15:29 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 12:42:
Weird, looks like they're using Unity to develop it. Seems odd considering that they spent years making their own engine for NS2. Maybe they're just using Unity for prototyping.

I hope so. I keep hearing all these people saying that Unity games can look amazing and just like Unreal Engine etc. but I have yet to see a good example of that.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Double Fine announces Hack 'N' Slash
10. Re: Double Fine announces Hack 'N' Slash Dec 11, 2013, 08:11 Parallax Abstraction

I always pay attention to everything Double Fine makes but after what has so far been pretty terrible project management on the part of Broken Age, I'm going to wait for one of these (what, 4 or 5 now?) games they have in development to actually come out before putting down any more money.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee
23. Re: GOG.com's Money Back Guarantee Dec 9, 2013, 16:32 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 09:57:
So gog does it. Origin does it. Gabe? You over there? Time to keep up with the Jonses...

To be fair in a Devil's Advocat-ey kind of way, this only applies to EA titles on Origin, not anything published by anyone else. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should be doing this and given Valve's "we're all about consumers" attitude, they should be at the forefront of such a policy, not lagging behind GOG. But yeah, the digital distribution industry as a whole has a long way to go on this front. There will be those who abuse it but that's easy enough to track and as GOG has demonstrated when it comes to piracy, making it easy for the thieves doesn't mean no one will step up and pay. Given the over 10GB of GOG titles I have, many of which I've barely played, I can attest to it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands
19. Re: Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands Dec 9, 2013, 12:04 Parallax Abstraction

Snabel wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 02:11:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 19:45:
Telltale has some amazing writers, which makes me wonder how they're going to make compelling Borderlands stuff.

What I kinda of wonder is how *many* writers they have.
And graphics artists, and ai coders, and and and everything else.

Will we ever see the end of The Wolf among us, Walking dead season 2 AND this Borderlands series anytime during 2014?
I'm definitely not buying TWD s2 until it's close to complete. I wouldn't say I regret buying The wolf among us as it was pretty darn awesome, but I think I might have done differently now.

I remember hearing on Idle Thumbs recently that Sean Vanaman said just before they left Telltale that the company was up to 150 people and growing. They certainly have the number of staff needed to handle this, but I an curious if all those people have the talent. We'll see. But yeah, I have zero interest in Borderlands "lore" as long as Anthony Burch is "writing" it.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > No Man's Sky Revealed
28. Re: No Man's Sky Revealed Dec 8, 2013, 19:49 Parallax Abstraction

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 16:24:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 15:26:
Looks extremely cool, but it's way too big of a project for some indie devs.

As opposed to what Star Citizen dev's that have almost nothing to show for it other then a hanger that a 10 year old kid could write?

So if a 10 year old can write it, I gather you should be able to whip one up in no time to prove just how much more talented you are right? Go ahead, we'll wait.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands
13. Re: Telltale Announces Tales from the Borderlands Dec 8, 2013, 19:45 Parallax Abstraction

Telltale has some amazing writers, which makes me wonder how they're going to make compelling Borderlands stuff. I love the game play of Borderlands but Anthony Burch is the laziest kind of writer, the kind who just points at pop culture references or jokes others made before and expects you to laugh as if it's original humour. It's the Carlos Mencia equivalent writing, copycatting at best.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 10:14 Parallax Abstraction

Pachter being Pachter. He loves to rile up Nintendo fanbois and that's what he's doing. Even when Nintendo was riding high on the Wii, he liked to take the piss out of them. Now, journalistic outlets would realise that this type of click-baiting all but destroys his credibility as an analyst (which frankly doesn't come with a lot of it to start with) but well, the games press loves easy clicks. If someone like him was in charge of Nintendo, they would have been dead and buried years ago.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Thanksgiving Tech Bits
7. Re: Thanksgiving Tech Bits Nov 29, 2013, 09:02 Parallax Abstraction

It's a shame about OCZ. When they used to make stuff like RAM, flash drives and power supplies (I guess PC Power & Cooling still does though I suspect they'll just get shuttered), they're stuff was top shelf. My old PC which my girlfriend still uses has an OCZ power supply, RAM and CPU cooler and they're all still chugging along great like 6 years later. Meanwhile on my new PC, I went through 3 of their Synapse SSD acceleration kits before finally giving up on them and just buying a Samsung 830. They had a great range of products but just didn't seem to know how to keep their quality up. It's too bad. Hopefully Toshiba can do something with them.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2013, 19:58 Parallax Abstraction

ldonyo wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 11:13:
Newegg will win this on appeal. That patent is garbage.

Given how many garbage patents have been upheld by that crooked Texas bench, don't count your chickens just yet. Making money for doing nothing: The American Dream/Patent System!

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2013, 11:00 Parallax Abstraction

Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:50:
Oldversion.com and OldApp.com have all previous version of Winamp, use 'em if main site vanishes.

Much love to Winamp team, I used version 1.92 for many years.

I use XMPlay, 400k in size. Wink

AOL closed down BigDownload.com also years ago. Loved that site, pure PC info and hosted files, demos, etc. etc. AOL man, fuck them.

I'd never heard of XMPlay but thanks for mentioning it! This looks like a potentially very suitable replacement for someone like me who is attached to Winamp's minimal UI.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2013, 08:59 Parallax Abstraction

I had a feeling this was coming because Winamp hasn't been updated in a bazillion years but this is really sad. I've used Winamp since pre-v1.0 and still use it to this day. Tens of tens of thousands of hours on it. I still don't know why AOL bought it in the first place and they clearly didn't know what to do with it. It's so frustrating because I've tried to find other audio players and nothing's any good. iTunes is hot garbage smothered in sewage sauce (and it only gets worse and more bloated with each new version) and every other player I've tried has a terrible, ugly UI and insists on taking up 2/3 of the damn screen. I like the fact that Winamp is small and can be made miniscule if you want it to be. I really hope that people either manage to get it open sourced (but it's AOL so I doubt it) or that Reaper is selling well enough that Cockos can buy Winamp back and get it back into Justin Frankel's hands where it belongs.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2013, 11:17 Parallax Abstraction

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 11:11:
Beamer wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 11:01:
InBlack wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 10:55:
Ratty wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 10:52:
Blue's News on average has a much higher comment quality than most gaming sites, but boy, do these threads bring out ugly sides in the personalities of even some seasoned regulars.
They sure do. And race as well. I remember years ago here there was an article about black gamers and boy did they ever come out of the woodwork. The thread had hundreds of mostly rabid posts. Not racist posts for the most part, but people upset that someone even dared raise the issue. What is it about these topics that instill rage in certain people? Indifference I can see - I'm mostly indifferent to these topics - but why the rage? It's like a reverse victim mentality. Whites are so victimized, men are so victimized.

Yeah I too love to ride my high horse and spit all over the people who dare to have an opinion, one way or the other.

Opinions can be wrong.
Opinions can be ignorant.
Opinions can be na´ve.
Opinions can be insensitive.

When it comes to discussions about non-white-cismales around here, all of the above tends to come out. It isn't worth getting into, for the most part, because some people have their minds made up that men are superior and just better at things like running companies, writing code, and playing video games, even though women are now outscoring men significantly in math and science, and totally ignoring any kind of societal issues that make this more true than biological ones.

Don't get used to what we've got, guys. In 20 years, when all the female math and science majors are becoming executives, this dominance in these areas will start rapidly withdrawing.
Opinions can be ignorant.
when all the female math and science majors are becoming executives

LMAO. That is funny.

Thank you for making his point.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot Early Access
3. Re: The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot Early Access Nov 19, 2013, 09:03 Parallax Abstraction

I've watched a lot of videos on this. The core idea of this game actually seems pretty cool but they're having a nightmare of a time figuring out the business model for it. It's changed I think 3 times now and has gone from reasonably fair to blatantly pay-to-win to back again. Now I'm not sure where it stands. Might try it though, the concept's neat.  
Parallax Abstraction

3222 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo