Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3230 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support
3. Re: NVIDIA Steam Streaming Support Aug 28, 2014, 21:46 Parallax Abstraction

This is really cool. I really wish Steam would add 5.1 audio support to streaming though. That's the only thing preventing me from using it more often.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2014, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

Let us also not forget about the multiple press sites that wrote stories about how Max Temkin was accused of raping someone years ago (not convicted, not even charged, accused on Facebook) and made that a headline matter in the gaming space but have largely tried to either ignore the multiple conflicts of interest that have been brought to light since this Zoe Quinn issue or reframing it as anyone with a dissenting opinion or just asking questions as being as bad as the scumbag trolls sending threats around. I actually don't care for Max Temkin very much but it's incredibly chilling how several sites made a huge deal out of a mere accusation which has since gotten him ostracized from many of his industry friends (because lest we forget, innocent until proven guilty only applies in certain cases) but have largely ignored this new issue or made it all about how "MRAs just hate us." I am not an MRA, I largely support the core ideas with regards to games that many bring up regarding representation (though not necessarily the execution of said ideas) but I have some serious questions about integrity with regards to some in the press and just asking those questions apparently makes me Worse than ISIS. There is something really wrong here and while the morons spouting hate and doxxing people are certainly not helping, a lot of the people who are supposed to be better than this aren't doing themselves any favours in their responses either.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 11:28.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
6. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 13:52 Parallax Abstraction

The selection on there is limited right now but there's some good stuff. Once Upon Atari is an old documentary and it shows but it's a fascinating look into that company. I actually own it on DVD and bought it again as I think this is the only way to get digitally right now. I highly recommend it. Playing Columbine is also good, as is The Story of Minecraft. Indie Game: The Movie is good, though if you hate Phil Fish, there are many things in that film that will reinforce it. There's a decent amount of manufactured drama in it but it's still a good watch. I'm very excited to see that catalogue grow, especially as I'm a big fan of a lot of independent documentaries which regularly come and go from Netflix.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 26, 2014, 23:46 Parallax Abstraction

12.9"?! You might as well just put a keyboard on it and call it an Ultrabook at that point.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 26, 2014, 14:08 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 10:10:
Good timing on First Light, just finished up with Second Son on the weekend. Great game, I got the platinum trophy and it never really felt like a grind. I think it was about 25 hours total so it never outstayed its welcome. I think my only complaint was getting the last power at post-game seemed kinda silly. It was nice playing a protagonist who actually enjoys being empowered like the player does instead of the usual grimdark "my power is a burden" cliche. The game is absolutely gorgeous too.

Each Infamous game has been a solid improvement on the last. If they can add a bit more nuance to the open world next time I think it will be a 90+ MC game for sure.

Yeah, I really hope First Light is good. People seemed kind of down on Second Son but I absolutely loved it. I didn't think it would be 5 hours for $15 so that's cool. I'll wait for a few reviews but I'm hoping I can grab it for the weekend.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Aug 25, 2014, 09:13 Parallax Abstraction

The biggest issue I have with those who soapbox about all the harm the supposedly rampant sexism and misogyny in video games cause is that the implication is that by witnessing even mildly sexist behaviour, it influences the viewer to be more sexist. Many of the same people on said soapboxes also crusaded against government attempts to regulate violent video games because there is no conclusive evidence whatsoever that violent games make players more violent. I've witnessed plenty of violence and sexism in games and I am not a violent person and I have nothing but respect for good women, the same as I have respect for good men. I have a real problem with the argument that games don't make people violent but they do make people sexist, despite there being even less evidence to back up that point. I'm not saying this is an excuse to ramp up sexist behaviours in games or that there isn't room for improvement (frankly, I think Call of Duty could do a way better job of how it tells violent stories too) but I take real exception to it being insinuated that I'm so stupid and impressionable that I'm going to suddenly start hating women because I played a game where not every female character is portrayed in someone's idealised fashion.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2014, 09:36.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 22:28 Parallax Abstraction

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 20:33:
See, here's the issue you don't seem to get. There's a difference between agreeing that there is a sexism problem in gaming, agreeing with the extent of the problem, and agreeing on what the proper solutions are to that problem. The problem that most people have with SJWs is that they demand immediate agreement and obedience to their opinions on all three of these topics. If you agree that there is sexism, but you disagree with the scope of it, you are a sexist. If you agree that there is a larger problem with sexism in the gaming community, but you don't agree with them on how to fix it, then you are a sexist. The SJW has no allies, only sock-puppets or enemies. That's it.

So when you have people lamenting that women's voices are being silenced in gaming, most rational people are bothered by this statement... primarily because most people are decent enough that they hate to see anyone silenced a priori. Which is why most people are initially sympathetic to SJWs. What they don't understand until later (and what causes the backlash) is that SJWs aren't opposed to silencing people; they are only opposed to being silenced themselves! The average SJW would happily ban/mute/ignore/silence/shove into cattle-cars those that disagree with them. They aren't complaining based on their opposition to being silenced; they are complaining because other people get to say things they don't like and they can't stop it.

This is one of the best descriptions of the core issue I have with this whole thing. I agree there are issues with regards to sexism in games. On my YouTube channel, I've pointed out times in some of the retro games I cover where they stepped over the line when it comes to that stuff. I also believe they way these are being discussed is highly toxic and fostering binary opinions where you're either in 100% agreement with one side or you're automatically 100% in agreement with the opposition. Middle opinions (which most well thought out opinions on an issue tend to be) are not welcome. This goes for both sides. I have been called a bigot and a misogynist online by people I thought I knew quite well simply for pointing out that Anita Sarkeesian's video have factual errors in them and sometimes take creative liberties to make their points (which they do) or they maybe it wasn't a great scandal when Giant Bomb decided to hire another white male to replace Ryan Davis. I've also been called an SJW (actually I think it was a feminazi) on my YouTube channel when I pointed out some of the really creepy advances your character in the Sega CD game Snatcher makes towards several women characters (that comment was moderated so it no longer exists.)

There are pressing, important issues regarding representation in games that need to be discussed. The problem is the people with the loudest voices don't want discussion, they want obedience.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2014, 22:44.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > West Games' License Expires
12. Re: West Games' License Expires Aug 24, 2014, 10:40 Parallax Abstraction

harlock wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 01:18:
Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 21:49:
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

IT'S A SCAM IT'S A SCAM IT'S A SCAM

scam with scam and eggs

I do not like green eggs and scam, I do not like them scam they am...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 18, 2014, 09:19 Parallax Abstraction

Trouble's a' brewin' in the tablet market. Numerous reports are talking about how sales are falling (mostly because people have no reason to upgrade anymore) but yeah, Apple products never go on sale and if they do, it's because they need to move numbers.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
9. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 17, 2014, 20:39 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 20:11:
This is basically just packing what you already can have on any PC, or tablet for that matter, into a neat mainstream noob friendly package. I don't mind, but I won't pledge either.

Though it's for the Raspberry Pi which is a device that is most certainly not n00b friendly. Odd project but I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Next Month
8. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Next Month Aug 16, 2014, 22:09 Parallax Abstraction

I tried the base campaign a few months ago and couldn't stand the clearly designed for tablets UI. So has that already been overhauled or if that just going to be in the Director's Cut?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Golf Club Next Week
3. Re: The Golf Club Next Week Aug 12, 2014, 20:39 Parallax Abstraction

What I saw of this when Giant Bomb covered it actually looked pretty awesome. I was waiting until it was out of Early Access. Curious if it's been polished up enough.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2014, 10:29 Parallax Abstraction

I've got a FitBit Force. Seriously, THIS is what the senator is upset about? The thing tracks step counts and calorie burn rate, that's it. It doesn't track any other metrics such as heartbeat (unlike the stuff from Samsung and rumoured stuff from Apple will) and doesn't have GPS capability in it. Maybe it would know my location if I was syncing it through my phone but guess what? Anything on your smartphone can track your location! If you aren't disabling GPS on your phone, many companies far less virtuous than FitBit know where you've been. We live in an age of Facebook and Google where every single thing you do and say online is analysed, packaged up and sold to the highest bidder with little to no benefit being provided to the end user beyond access to a free service that's costing the company pennies on the dollar to provide with the data they're mining from you. But FitBit is the privacy nightmare? Give me a fucking break. I guess FitBit didn't pay their bribe this month.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2014, 11:50.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Another The Crew Beta This Month
6. Re: Another The Crew Beta This Month Aug 8, 2014, 21:34 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 21:02:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 17:08:
Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:36:
Did anyone play the beta? Any feedback on the actual driving?

I didn't mind it. It's definitely very arcadey but I thought it played pretty well. Some placed that were really down on it when it was shown at E3 2013 said it's improved a lot too. The engine had some glitches (though this was a proper beta, not a marketing beta) and it was locked to 30FPS on PC but I think I read that's supposed to change by release. The seamless co-op was really slick too. Has a lot of promise.

Thanks PA

Sure thing.

I really hope Ubisoft gets this game right. Just the sheer size of the map and how the environments change are amazing. 30FPS on PC would be ridiculous though.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Another The Crew Beta This Month
3. Re: Another The Crew Beta This Month Aug 8, 2014, 17:08 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:36:
Did anyone play the beta? Any feedback on the actual driving?

I didn't mind it. It's definitely very arcadey but I thought it played pretty well. Some placed that were really down on it when it was shown at E3 2013 said it's improved a lot too. The engine had some glitches (though this was a proper beta, not a marketing beta) and it was locked to 30FPS on PC but I think I read that's supposed to change by release. The seamless co-op was really slick too. Has a lot of promise.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 7, 2014, 13:26 Parallax Abstraction

I've long said that while tablets aren't going anywhere, their meteoric growth was the result of an unsustainable fashion trend. Tablet sales are dropping rapidly right now so it appears that's the case. People are realising that you can spend less than the cost of an iPad on a laptop that has far more functionality and more horsepower (even Chromebooks). Back when the iPad came out and was primarily a content consumption device and not really something conducive to content creation, people said it would just take a bit of time and everyone would figure that out. It's what would lead to our "Post-PC World". Yeah, hasn't happened yet. Schools spent a bunch of money because like others said, some executives got their shiny new fashion accessory iPads and needed to spread the gospel like a good Apple cultist. Then they realised they weren't up to the job and a pile of money was wasted.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2014, 09:14 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 01:14:
AMD builds SSD's... what could possibly go wrong!

From what I'm reading, they're basically rebadged OCZ/Toshiba drives. Their RAM is basically a rebadging too. They're selling them but they're not really building them. But based on my experience with OCZ stuff, to answer your question, a lot could possibly go wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 6, 2014, 12:02 Parallax Abstraction

If there is any more than a 0% chance of me being held liable for what someone else does when using my Internet connection (and there is legal precedent for that), I'll keep my network to myself thank you. But of course, this was a Steve Jobs idea which is why Re/Code is tripping over themselves to gush about what a brilliant idea is. Even by tech press standards, it's hilarious how bad they are at hiding what an Apple fansite they are.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
8. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 11:57 Parallax Abstraction

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:
I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.

Yep. It's far and away the best ever under the hood. Install Classic Shell for free which all but eliminates the Metro environment from the equation and it's just like Windows 7, only faster. I installed it on my gaming PC a few months ago and haven't regretted it for a minute. HDMI on my desktop and my laptop work fine too. *shrug*

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Take 2 Financials; Evolve Delayed
4. Re: Take 2 Financials; Evolve Delayed Aug 5, 2014, 19:58 Parallax Abstraction

The alpha was promising but it had performance issues (normal in an alpha of course) but I think the monster's too unbalanced. All but one match I played, the monster stopped everyone.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3230 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo