Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3258 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
58. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 16:25 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 14:30:
I'm just glad everyone is finally seeing her for the fraud she is.

I take major issue with the way she both makes her arguments and factually represents the games she covers (the way she portrays Hitman Absolution is nothing short of outright lies) but I have a hard time accepting she's just an out and out scam artist. People can say what they want about how many death threats she's actually gotten and how credible they are but I think there's no doubt she has gotten a lot of those and taken a lot of abuse. Is enduring that really worth the $160K or whatever she got from her Kickstarter and whatever else she's getting from some of her speaking engagements and consulting? Not to say that isn't no money but it's not like she's becoming a millionaire off this and it seems an awful position to put yourself in for not ultimately a ton of money. Personally, I think she really does believe in her cause and what she's doing, I just have big problems with how she does it, how she manipulates the media and how she refuses to debate anyone who might be able to refute her.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 04:29:
InBlack wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 03:31:
Everyone is so quick to punish the gamer, calling it a TOXIC CULTURE. Why is that? What is wrong with people, why is there so much prejudice everywhere?

I have a few ideas about what is going on, and why you see so much toxic crap in response to relatively mundane stuff. For example, the disproportionate response to Anita Sarkeesian, who is a nobody in terms of actual feminist causes, and who never really said anything too controversial. Her videos were just pointing out obvious cliches everyone already knew about and had been poking fun at for decades. The only reason anyone is talking about her is because of the hate she gets. Her actual contributions to anything are basically zero. So if she didn't do anything of note, why did it get such a nasty response from certain people?

Some gamers can be very defensive. This is because, unlike what the so-called feminists want you to believe, a lot of gamers do not consider themselves to be a privileged group. They've been bullied, they've been social outcasts. A lot of gamers are not financially well-off. Many are not only gamers, but members of other groups that are unfairly ostracized. Many straight males in gaming have little or no experience dealing with women. They were often ridiculed and mistreated by girls while growing up. LGBTQ gamers have dealt with even worse. Game culture, for them, has become their comfort zone. Gamers can be cruel to each other, but they can also be really kind to each other and identify with each others plights. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than what they are experiencing in their personal lives. Often overcome by loneliness, and not having many people to turn to.

Then comes along a bunch of non-gamers making a big ol' scene. They say a lot of things, and some of them sound an awful lot like the same stereotypes and cruel things said about you in the real world. Most of what they are saying is innocuous, some of it even makes sense, but the only things you can hear are the things that remind you once again that you're not cool. Your friends and hobby are "offensive" and "problematic." Your reason and logic go out the window, all you feel is your comfort zone being chipped away.

Think about it from the perspective of those among the gaming community who are less fortunate and have had bad social experiences in their lives. The ones who use gaming as their escape from an otherwise lonely and cruel life.

These loud voices, mostly coming from relatively well-to-do, popular, white professionals, do not resonate with you. They do not sound like the voices of a fellow outcast looking for their fair shake. They sound like the next generation of the bullies who hassled you in junior high. In the 21st century, it's not the jock who is cool, but the socially savvy hipster who makes use of social media to garner a massive following. They have thousands of Twitter followers, millions of YouTube subscribers, and other well-to-do people lavishing sympathy and attention upon them.

Sure, those of us with a little more confidence and a little more social savvy can see where both sides are coming from, and can see that both groups have had issues with social inequality, despite being privileged in many ways. But for the more awkward gamers, they just feel like they are being bullied once again, this time in their own backyard.

So of course they bite back irrationally. Trolling and sending anonymous threats. You can hardly fault them for their life experiences that have left them bitter and unsympathetic to your claims of oppression. Not every gamer is like that, but you can hardly be surprised or shocked when people who have been bullied, outcast, and disenfranchised are not super receptive to the cries of oppression from some popular Internet celebrities.

It's terribly asymmetrical as well. Let's look at the outliers, the people being straight up bullies. On the "gamer" side you have anonymous trolls and threats. Virtually everyone disregards them as the meaningless flailing they are. But on the "feminist" side, the people doing the bullying have ACTUAL BULLY PULPITS. They have thousands of followers, editor status on some high traffic website, and an army to retweet every thing they say.

TL;DR: These feminists playing the victim don't go over too well with some gamers because from their perspective it looks a lot like cool popular kids trying to pretend they know the plight of the outcast and the marginalized. They themselves feel marginalized, which makes the sting of being painted a privileged misogynist scumbag even harder to bear. The less stable among these marginalized gamers will indeed lash out irrationally, and you'd have to have been blind to not see that coming.

I believe this sums up my opinion on that post.

I don't believe feeling like a marginalized group justifies the kind of vicious attacks we've been seeing (though I don't think that's what you're advocating) but yes, this is a very interesting perspective on perhaps why the pushback has been so massive. And when I see people such as Wu in the thread on Giant Bomb's Letter to the Editor constantly moving the goalposts and saying that the fact that the thread is all men discussing women's issues (as if women are banned, plus she has no way of knowing how many people there are or aren't women) is part of the problem, I don't know how this is ultimately supposed to get solved. She claims people keep talking and not listening but if no one in that thread posted anything because she's saying they shouldn't be talking, then she'd be enraged that "no one cared." You can see examples of what I mean starting on page 31 of this.

This is the part of the whole situation that depresses me. There are real and legitimate issues regarding representation in games and the industry that should be discussed. There are also real issues of cronyism in the games press that should be discussed. But people like Quinn, Sarkeesian and Wu don't want discussion, they don't want debate, they want compliance. Their way is the one true way (for no other reason than because they say so) and if you don't comply, you are the enemy and no better to them than the scumbags who have threatened their lives. They are supposed to be about equality for women but only if it fits their subset of feminism.

My girlfriend is a strong woman who strongly believes in equality for women but when I've explained what these women are saying, she finds is appalling and ultimately more damaging to the cause of equality because it's turning it from a discussion into a battle. People like Quinn, Sarkeesian, Wu and their supporters would call her a traitor to women for thinking that way. In fact, I've seen them do exactly that to people with similar viewpoints. This is not how you advance an otherwise just agenda. But you can't say that because you're slapped with fallacies and told you don't count. I don't know how you resolve that.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2014, 12:48.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 16:45 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 15:25:
Something to think about: If it was Boogie2988 from YouTube making a huge deal out of the threats he's received, leaving his home, how many press outlets would be interested in telling the story of an obese straight white male gamer being "forced out of his home?"

I have an answer for you. No one in the press cared. The threats he's received for doing nothing more than telling both sides that they need to calm down and that the actions of a few don't represent the whole on either sie have gotten zero coverage and what little commentary I've seen about it from the usual suspects in the press is either that a) He had it coming because he didn't wholly agree with them or b) Because of who he is (or rather isn't), it wasn't as big a deal.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
38. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2014, 11:33 Parallax Abstraction

Squirmer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 21:19:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 13:31:
The problem with that is Alexander's article was purposefully on the offensive.
Yes it was, but you have to see in context. She has been receiving abuse for the things she writes for years. Literally years.

You excuse gamers getting angry at her in response. You presumably excuse Prez calling her a "worthless sack of shit" in this thread. Why can't you also excuse her anger?

Don't twist my words. Nowhere did I excuse abuse thrown at her. That you assume I excuse Prez's comment because I didn't call him out for it is the kind of response that's exactly why we can't have proper discussions of these issues anymore. People who fling hatred and harassment are scum. It's also a vast minority of gamers at large. But that's not what she and her compatriots wrote, they declared an entire identity dead because of a vocal, abusive minority. I'm sorry, you don't get to appoint yourself arbiter of what the term "gamer" means just because a few of them are assholes. That's the kind of thing Jack Thompson used to do. We didn't accept it from him, I won't accept it from anyone else. They used an ICBM to target a tent city. It was arrogant bullying 101. That you've received undeserved abuse in the past doesn't excuse you from criticism now. If you write an article designed to stir up controversy, there's going to be controversy. I disagree with her and have some real problems with her attitude towards her audience. That doesn't mean I hate her as a person. Anger begets anger and that goes both ways.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
24. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 20:53 Parallax Abstraction

UHD wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 17:50:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 16:37:
I'd generally agree, right up until the point where people are calling me "worse than ISIS."

I think it's funny that you take that sort of thing seriously.

Oh OK, if someone compares the gaming community to a hyperviolent terrorist group, it's OK if it's done as a joke. How silly of me, I thought maybe just making an intelligent argument, rather than throwing childish insults around is how you appear to be the better person.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 13:31 Parallax Abstraction

The problem with that is Alexander's article was purposefully on the offensive. It was an arrogant hit piece that declared the death of an entire identity based on a few rotten elements within it. It's the same kind of thing Jack Thompson did for years. It's no less acceptable when she does it.

Every mainstream article is about the fight against women because that's the element they're choosing to write about. I've long said that the more rational elements within GamerGate need to get away from that moniker but if you do more than a cursory look inside that community, you'll find a lot of people who are all for women in gaming and the games press. However, that's not the convenient narrative many writers (Alexander chief among them) are peddling because it's not easy or convenient. They are stoking the fires of outrage and doing so on purpose. Sure, there are gamers who are anti-women and those people are scumbags. If you look into the participants in GamerGate however, you'll find most of them don't agree with that stance.

Alexander, Kuchera, Allen, Faraci et al. frequently act like arrogant bullies, attacking those who don't agree with them in full as being fully in support of the other side. It's intellectually dishonest to put it mildly and it's stoking the fires of outrage culture. I don't fully agree with them, nor do I fully agree with GamerGate. Since I'm an intelligent, rational adult, I can formulate my own opinion without diving into either side's trench. There are real discussions and debates about important issues that could be had but the people with the loudest voices on both sides are doing nothing to further those discussions. They are going out of their way to paint each other with broad extremist brushes and it's gross. They demand that gamers police themselves and stand up against harassment, yet sit oddly quiet when one of their own calls gamers worse than ISIS or that all gamers are misoginerds. To them, it's no longer about the discussion, it's become a sadistic and pathetic need to fight. These writers are no less gross in their participation in this, they're just the other extreme.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced
2. Re: Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced Oct 3, 2014, 20:29 Parallax Abstraction

I highly approve of that name!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 1, 2014, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

It stands for Queer or Questioning depending on who you ask. It's supposed to represent people who are still determining their orientation as I understand it. I work for an organisation that represents post-secondary unions so I've heard a lot about it. Additionally, there is I which stands for Intersex and 2S which stands for "two spirited", which I haven't gotten a concrete explanation on but apparently it has something to do with Native culture. It can become a very long acronym.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 16:01 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:54:
I wouldn't expect Polygon to appreciate the value of a new PC peripheral currently.

I guess you don't read Polygon much (I don't blame you.) Their "Opinion Editor" is Ben Kuchera, who has been basically a pro-bono "journalist" shill for Oculus ever since their Kickstarter. This is probably the most negative article on Oculus to ever come from that site. I guess they wanted to have some kind of counterpoint to Kuchera's PR machine.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 1, 2014, 13:53 Parallax Abstraction

Julio wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 12:09:
If Hsu can't handle the #Gamergate heat, then time to go I guess. I like how he describes it as anti-journalist.

As if all gamers are against all journalists. Just a lot of gamers against corrupt journalists.

And lately, a large number of "journalists" have most certainly been against gamers. You know, their customers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 30, 2014, 23:34 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 19:09:
Quboid wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 18:51:
I'm not sure the guy who thinks Apple will replace it is in luck but I don't know. Apart from him, I see their point. The numbers don't point to this being a particularly big issue (but I'm pretty sure it's more than 9, Apple) and the description this guy gives doesn't make it sound especially weak. Every phone bends if you have sufficient willpower.

The chances of me buying anything from Apple, including the iPhone 6+, are zero but this wouldn't put me off.

I'm pretty sure that's a criminal act, but never mind. It was research.

Yup, Consumer Reports tested it, found it's about average. Most people bending them on videos are putting serious pressure on them in very small areas. That isn't normal usage.

And yet multiple attempts to bend and Galaxy Note 3 with as much or more force results in it basically not bending at all. Funny what happens when your device is built on function first instead of fashion.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 26, 2014, 22:44 Parallax Abstraction

"Bash Bug “Shellshock” Is as Large an Issue as Heartbleed."

And it doesn't affect Windows or Android. I love watching smug Apple fanboys/press sites (which are largely one in the same) squirming to justify how this, the bending phones and the two emergency iOS 8 updates in two days are no big deal because it's Apple. So delicious.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 15:38 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:11:
"Men should never criticize anything a woman says because thats harassment, no wonder women are so SCARED!"

This game sure is fun!

Opinions are binary. You must be with one side or you're wholly on the other. This is the new law, so I've heard.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 24, 2014, 15:28 Parallax Abstraction

Number of times my Android 4.4 Nexus 5 has had an OS crash in the 6 months I've owned it: 0. It also hasn't been rebooted in over two months and still works fine. Number of times in 8 months my previous Windows Phone 8 Samsung ATIV S crashed: 0. Number of times my girlfriend's WP8 Lumia 920 has crashed in over two years: Twice, the last time being over a year ago. Yet everyone says iOS is the most reliable and "just works." Maybe if Apple put more than 1GB RAM in these supposedly state-of-the-art phones.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 24, 2014, 15:24 Parallax Abstraction

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 15:12:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 12:56:
Except for the whole bit where most of their initial money was raised with Kickstarter because a lot of people wouldn't back if they couldn't do it through there. Now his community doesn't care but Star Citizen was on initially on track to not hit its funding target until they used Kickstarter.

yeah that's completely false. Backers who were having trouble paying through their website )since it was very early stages, nothing like you see now..) asked for them to put it up on kickstarter too so they could back it there. That is why they did it and they had already raised a substantial amount of money by that point.

I actually backed it through their web site but I remember reading articles at the time that they moved to Kickstarter because fans were requesting it. Much like Steam, a lot of people just won't back if it's not in the one place they want. Maybe that's not the case but it's what I read at the time. Still, one can't deny that a lot of their initial fundraising did come from Kickstarter.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 24, 2014, 12:56 Parallax Abstraction

Except for the whole bit where most of their initial money was raised with Kickstarter because a lot of people wouldn't back if they couldn't do it through there. Now his community doesn't care but Star Citizen was on initially on track to not hit its funding target until they used Kickstarter.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 23, 2014, 14:34 Parallax Abstraction

This sudden surge of the "Because it's random and it's awesome because random!" genre of game is baffling to me. I never understood how something being presented nonsensically automatically makes it great.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 19, 2014, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

Oh good. Google already gives massive preferential treatment in promotion to bigger channels (cause why help elevate new and growing channels instead of promoting channels that don't need the help) and now they're going to give them money directly too? Cripes.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2014, 12:08 Parallax Abstraction

vacs wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 11:28:
"iPhone 6 Breaks Pre-Order Record."

So many people can't be wrong, now can they?

To be fair, they're probably seeing all those features Android phones had back in 2012 and really want to get on that now. Because you know, Android (or in some cases, even BlackBerry) did it first but when Apple does it, that's when it becomes magical.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2014, 10:40 Parallax Abstraction

"he race to defeat Destiny's toughest challenge begins."

Getting through the "story" without falling asleep from boredom?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3258 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo