Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3282 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
16. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 09:45 Parallax Abstraction

I think Hatred looks deplorable and have no intention of playing it. That said, I'm glad to see Valve allowing consumers to decide for themselves rather than bowing to pressure from those who feel the world has to change around what they personally find offensive. People are free to shout about why this game offends them but that's where it ends and where it should end. Meanwhile, the moral crusaders in the press will continue to give this game free publicity while they endlessly write about it, though they're totally not doing that to generate clicks.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
4. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:02 Parallax Abstraction

Got a new Thrustmaster HOTAS X due to arrive today, just in time. Anxious to give this a go.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 13:49 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 13:36:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 13:25:
And Ben Kuchera. And until recently, Chris "Shirtgate" Plante, though he just continues to write the same tripe over on The Verge, which is owned by the same company.

Haha wow that's a double whammy of shit. Fun fact, long time ago I played Counter-Strike on the Ars servers and Ben Kuchera (who went by Stasis 7) got banned for using a wallhack. He was also a monumental douche over there when he was a staff member.

Yep. He was insufferable when running Penny Arcade Report as well and when they went under, of course Polygon immediately hired him to run their "opinion" (i.e. clickbait by design) section. He's unbelievably arrogant and disagreeing with him even in a very rational and calm way results in some variant of being called stupid. I remember back when I followed him on Twitter for about 2 days, the Valve Employee Handbook was going around and he tweeted about it, saying that basically every company should be run that way. I read it and said to him that Valve's flat structure seemed awesome but there are certain industries (like the one I worked in at the time) where that probably wouldn't work effectively. He wrote back saying I was working for a lousy company (he didn't even know who it was) that needed to get out of the dark ages. Weird, given that at every site he's worked at, he's had a defined title within a non-flat structure.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 13:25 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 12:53:
Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 12:40:
They're not drunk, they're just clickbaiting. It's all they do anymore, apparently. They're a giant troll website.

They employ Arthur Gies, nuff said.

And Ben Kuchera. And until recently, Chris "Shirtgate" Plante, though he just continues to write the same tripe over on The Verge, which is owned by the same company.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Suspended
21. Re: KEEFOX_CHECKED_FLAG_FALSE Dec 12, 2014, 12:36 Parallax Abstraction

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:30:
El Pit wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:15:
SimplyMonk wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:02:
Raven wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:55:
Atomic wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:53:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:49:
ForgedReality wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 10:32:
Half-Life 3 confirmed!
For iOS devices

Card game....

Graphic novel.

Costs 3 Trillion gems.

Per chapter...

Per HAT. Hat-Life 3.

Additional requirements & DRM: GFWL, Origin, uPlay, Rockstar Social, Securom, Tages and Starforce

Also, it's being re-envisioned as an "exploration game" in which Gordon walks around the empty City 17 to discover his brother's teenage sexual awakening which the benefactors greatly disapproved of.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again
1. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 8, 2014, 20:06 Parallax Abstraction

Take your time and get it right CDP. I can't speak for everyone but I got backlog a' plenty to keep me busy till this arrives.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2014, 10:28 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2014, 00:56:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 22:57:
At least they leave their paws off the real Star Trek universe then.

The real Star Trek universe has basically been dead and buried for over a dozen years. It's somehow much better if nobody ever tries to do anything in that anymore?

To me personally, I'd rather the universe stay dead than turned into yet another dumb action franchise like Abrams did with it. Paramount wants another thing on the scale of Transformers and that's what they're trying to turn everything into (see also Terminator Genisys.)

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year
21. Re: London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year Dec 3, 2014, 09:20 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 07:49:
harlock wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 07:43:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 06:59:
Fion wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 23:40:
Not all AS games suck or are bad ports. Sure most of the better ones are older, when they had one dev group working on each game instead of spreading it so thin and giving so little time to each group to each game. AS2 & Brotherhood stand out. Black Flag is quite fun but also extremely formulaic but it's sea-faring niche makes it worth the sale price.

I'm hoping it doesn't suck because Victorian England sounds like a fun place to assassinate bad-guys in.
I'm liking all the ones I have played so far, thats Black Flag, III, Liberation and Unity.

London looks AMAZING... AMAZING.

yawn... yawn.

And extra yawn for.. no female protagonist.. AGAIN

Liberation has a black female protagonist and it ended up getting 360, PS3 and PC versions as well as the Vita one. Reviews on it were so-so but I beat it on the Vita and quite enjoyed it. Not to say the series couldn't still do more but everyone seems to ignore Liberation.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
21. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 16:09 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:56:
I've been waiting on a decent racing game for next gen, but nobody seems able to deliver. Too much emphasis on letting the game post to Facebook for you, not enough on racing and cars.

Totally agree. Looked at NFS last fall, but it seemed more focused on online. Driveclub also looked pretty focused on online, and they still can't get the servers working, apparently. And now this...

Maybe Project Cars? It looks so good it's almost too good to be true...

I've been enjoying the Hell out of Forza Horizon 2, if you have an Xbox One of course. It has some social hooks but they're all easily ignored and the single player open-world racing stuff is fantastic fun.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Irrational is Hiring
5. Re: Irrational is Hiring Nov 24, 2014, 12:58 Parallax Abstraction

Task wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 11:20:
Since Looking Glass Studio is defunct, who actually owns the rights to System Shock, did it go to Irrational Games? Only EA holds the publishing the rights, which sucks, but at least they don't have the IP rights. Someone please return Shodan to space. Ken needs to get his head out his butt and make this happen. Make millions, kickstart it, easy.

Apparently the rights to System Shock are a mess. They've gone between several companies since Looking Glass closed and last time I read something on it, they were apparently owned by some like, insurance company in the mid-west or something? It's really sad what happened to the rights for that series. I know Night Dive Studios licensed the IP for the recent re-releases on PC but I don't think they own it outright.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Irrational is Hiring
2. Re: Irrational is Hiring Nov 24, 2014, 09:50 Parallax Abstraction

As I understood it, Irrational wasn't closing, they were just scaling back to a much smaller team and dropping their focus on AAA titles. I think Levine said he was keeping like a dozen senior people. Not surprised to see them hiring a little bit to fill in those voids.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Postal Redux Plans
3. Re: Postal Redux Plans Nov 17, 2014, 09:37 Parallax Abstraction

I still don't understand how this developer still exists. They've released 3 games, none of them sold well (Hell, Postal 3 never even came out in North America) and there's been years between them. In an era where one flop can kill a studio, I seriously don't know how how these guys make money.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
23. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 15, 2014, 11:50 Parallax Abstraction

I'm going to put up an episode of my Retro Flashback series today about this collection but just FYI, this collection is pretty rough. Emulation isn't bad but not perfect, the DOS versions are super janky and most of these games haven't aged well, as much as I loved them back in the day. Steam also says this game has partial controller support but no games with joystick support work with my Xbox 360 controller. There's a lot of games in here but the collection's rough at $10. But yeah, video on my channel later today.

EDIT: The video is up and I managed to get the Xbox 360 controller working. I didn't really do anything, it just kind of started working. The collection isn't bad but it's a bit expensive and it's definitely only for nostalgic fans of these games. They are rough to get into now.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2014, 15:21.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog Nov 13, 2014, 11:52 Parallax Abstraction

I've played and generally enjoyed every AC game either at or near release (though 3 was not very good) and I had this pre-ordered for $40 from a retailer promo on PS4 but I'll be returning it since I haven't opened it yet. I'll wait for them to get my act together (and also for this to get cheap) before I put my money down. From what I can tell, this game is much more like 3 but even bigger and more bloated with stuff that no one asked for, plus it's a technical mess AND it's full of microtransaction garbage. Yeah, not at full price. From what I've been hearing, Rogue is actually the much better game (plays like Black Flag II), it runs properly and other than the unnecessarily bloated crowds, it doesn't look that much worse. What a mess.

Also, TB did a 15 minute rant on technical issues and some game play shortcomings and didn't come close to finishing the game. Anyone who considers that a review has a really weird definition of that word.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 13:17 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:47:
The Destiny article is a bit funny.

Kotaku being Kotaku. For that matter, the games press still feeling like they're entitled to direct sales numbers. Activision's latest earnings are way up and they attributed most of that to Destiny. Whether or not it's doing as well as they ultimately hoped (which were probably absurdly high projections) is debatable but to say it's not a huge success is clearly evidenced as wrong by their earnings.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
8. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

I've seen people losing their minds over this and I don't get why. When you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam, you're literally just downloading the uPlay copy. When you double-click on the game in Steam, it launches uPlay and the games have no Steamworks integration. It's literally no different than just buying it on uPlay anyway, except you initially launch it from Steam, which you can still do by adding it as a non-Steam game. Don't get me wrong, I detest uPlay (look up the living Hell Splinter Cell: Blacklist owners went through with that) but people who are like "I hate this because I hate uPlay!" don't seem to get you've been buying those versions all along anyway.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10
12. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10 Nov 4, 2014, 14:23 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:25:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:21:
InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 09:45:
Isn't this like a really, really old game? 2008 I believe it was released or thereabouts. KUDOS to Volition for still supporting the game. I guess people are still playing this in multiplayer?

Sadly not. I beat it on PC a while back when it looked like GFWL wasn't going to be removed from it and there were zero people in multiplayer. Which is a shame cause I played a bunch of multiplayer on 360 around the game's launch and it's actually a ton of fun and unique. Maybe the community will get a little boost after this.
Is this the one where you can grab different back packs with different abilities in MP? Maybe I am thinking of a different game. That was a lot of fun online.

Yep, you're thinking of the right game. That and just completely wrecking the levels as you played were amazing. I'm surprised Volition's actually putting the work into this given that they're now owned by Deep Silver and Nordic Games actually owns Red Faction. They're either putting in pro bono effort to fix a game they don't own or one publisher is paying a developer owned by another publisher to fix their old game which no one's really playing anyway. It's a very odd arrangement but one that's fantastic to see.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 10:28 Parallax Abstraction

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 06:59:
As far as ignoring all of the threats or hoping people forget about her, really? That is your plan? She should just stop doing what she is doing completely and vanish because she is threatened? Even if she stopped talking about it personally, it's in the news and even your Gamergate comrades put up a web page about her and the other two women being harassed, with their photos and everything. Something tells me it'd be near impossible for her to just 'lay low' for months or years and silently pray for these assholes to get bored and stop.

And here you are moving the goal posts. No one's telling her to lay low or stop talking, just to stop giving the anonymous people who are threatening her attention. You do not kill trolls by feeding them. This is knowledge as old as the Internet itself and so many people still don't get it. Trolls want attention. You talk about them, you enable them because you've given them the attention they crave and proven they have power over you. If you receive a threat that's credible, you should report it to authorities, give them a chance to investigate it and yes, you can talk about it once it's been resolved. Otherwise, you have just created an anti-hero and convinced them to keep doing what they're doing because they know they can get to you. All of these people and articles talking about harassment, exactly how much help has that done to slow it? Hint: It hasn't. All it's done is enrich a bunch of web sites using the disgusting behaviour of these trolls to drive clicks. They don't care about Brianna Wu and what she's going through, they're profiting off of it. Constantly writing about and talking about harassment will perpetuate more of it. History is littered with proof of this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10
4. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10 Nov 4, 2014, 10:21 Parallax Abstraction

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 09:45:
Isn't this like a really, really old game? 2008 I believe it was released or thereabouts. KUDOS to Volition for still supporting the game. I guess people are still playing this in multiplayer?

Sadly not. I beat it on PC a while back when it looked like GFWL wasn't going to be removed from it and there were zero people in multiplayer. Which is a shame cause I played a bunch of multiplayer on 360 around the game's launch and it's actually a ton of fun and unique. Maybe the community will get a little boost after this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 21:57 Parallax Abstraction

I take it back, formatting my PS4 did NOT fix the issue. After hours of downloading everything again, it started refusing to go to Rest Mode again. Cripes Sony, get it together!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3282 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo