Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3352 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2015, 10:55 Parallax Abstraction

As good as their results were, the thing one should always pay attention to with Apple is not what they say but what they don't say. If they don't brag about how well something did, it means they're disappointed with it. They apparently didn't talk much about iPads (mostly cause sales are way down) and they didn't talk about Apple Watch sales figures. Given the general apathy towards them the last while, it's pretty safe to say they're disappointed in them. As most people expected, smart watches are largely a distraction measure by manufacturers who've run out of new crap to cram into phones and tablets.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely
6. Re: Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely Jul 21, 2015, 13:17 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:22:
Yeah the no DLC statement was a bit surprising.
It's almost like Dirt Rally was just kind of a side project for them just to see if there's any interest. Kind of like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was. It came out of nowhere on PC only, in Early Access (at a discount too, the way Early Access should be done) and though it's been doing well, they haven't been talking about it much. Codemasters has been hurting real bad the last few years (mostly cause almost all their non-racing titles the last couple of years have been awful) and are pretty much doubling down on their racing series to survive at this point. A lot of DiRT fans didn't like how the series was getting further and further away from proper rally the last couple of games. This feels like a small team managed to convince a manager to let them try this out on some downtime or something to show them they people did want proper rally games. Based on what I've played so far, they've definitely succeeded. I hope this does well for them and maybe gets a wider release.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > New FlatOut Game Announced
3. Re: New FlatOut Game Announced Jul 8, 2015, 10:23 Parallax Abstraction

Strategy First equals an automatic run away. Kylotonn should just make you run faster.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered
22. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV OS X Pulled, Refunds Offered Jul 5, 2015, 22:53 Parallax Abstraction

Krowen wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 20:56:
Macs are great, I do a lot of gaming on my Macbook. The Apple laptop market keeps growing each quarter while PC shipments keep declining. The biggest problem Macs face is just drivers and retarded Apple bullshit where they can't decide if they're going to take gaming seriously or not.

Actually, PC sales have stabilised and just about everything Apple sells is experiencing declines. It's just that iPhone growth is enough that it's outpacing those declines financially be a wide margin.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Her Story Released
4. Re: Her Story Released Jun 26, 2015, 23:29 Parallax Abstraction

It sounds interesting and a lot of people are praising it but based on a short video I watched today, all it seems to be is typing in key words to bring up different short videos, playing the videos, trying to figure out what happened and stopping when you're done. There's no actual end game or criminal proceeding to go through. You just watch videos and stop when you think you've got it. Though for $5, there definitely isn't much to lose to give it a shot.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
17. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 11:37 Parallax Abstraction

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 10:23:
This is amazing.. could refund system on Steam actually hurt WB enough?

I think this is a sign that's definitely the case. Green Man Gaming has also announced that they have pulled the game from sale and will honour all refund requests (their policy normally says no refunds whatsoever on Steam keys.) I'm waiting on mine to process now.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 24, 2015, 23:32 Parallax Abstraction

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 23:28:
yeah I will have to research a bit I guess.. So far all I'm coming up with is the Acer, but I dunno about Acer.............

new acer gsync ips

Speaking as someone who has worked with computers for over 20 years: Never, ever buy Acer anything.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
48. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 19:23 Parallax Abstraction

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:17:
Here's the inevitable, SHOCKING interview with a Rocksteady developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBngocx0DhI

I don't know why that's making me laugh so hard but holy crap, I can't stop...

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > People Can Fly Returns
11. Re: People Can Fly Returns Jun 24, 2015, 19:18 Parallax Abstraction

Task wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 18:56:
the "new" painkiller is a remake/sequel made by The Farm 51. Nordic Games apparently holds the Painkiller license now, according to this Polygon article.

The Farm 51 was formed by ex-PCF people as well which is partially why they were tasked with Painkiller HD. Adrian Chmielarz was tweeting today that apparently a design and script for Bulletstorm 2 was done before he left PCF but there's no way he thinks they could afford to do that game unless another big publisher took a chance on funding it. I personally loved Bulletstorm (the game, not the dialogue) and would love to see another one but I doubt that'll happen.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
10. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 09:58 Parallax Abstraction

Just FYI, if you bought this game from Green Man Gaming, they're agreeing to give refunds for anyone still experiencing performance problems after the first patch comes out. Apparently, this patch is supposed to be massive and fix most of the problems (I'll believe it when I see it.) There's no ETA on it but if it doesn't sort the issues, you can contact their support and they will apparently give you a refund and remove the game from your Steam library.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues
3. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 09:32 Parallax Abstraction

Steam Refunds system, ACTIVATE!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Interviews
23. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 13:49 Parallax Abstraction

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 12:58:
Squirmer wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:55:
I think people are missing the point a bit. No one's saying Eidos can't use themes of bigotry and segregation etc. The problem is the specific use of the term "apartheid" which was a specific set of policies resulting in the oppression of the black population and curtailment their rights. Many people died in the struggle against those policies.

It's an easy term to throw around, but much harder to handle with sensitivity and respect for the people who suffered under it. Using it to market your videogame story could seem pretty insensitive since they're not addressing the actual policy of apartheid as it existed in the real world; they're just leveraging an emotional term as shorthand. It's a bit gross that Eidos literally trademarked the term apartheid.

^ this

Excellent summary, Sir. Big round of applause fer ya and fuck Eidos indeed, especially for the trademarking bit ("gross" or disgusting does not even begin to sum up how incredibly shitty and tasteless their actions are).
As a result, I will boycott (pirate) all of their future games for this. Another publisher who just went straight to the shitlist.

Not offended enough to just not play the game, only enough to steal it. Real strong principles you've got there. Even funnier for you to make an offense based argument given some of the stuff you've spewed on these boards before. If I recall, your signature used to say "Born to Troll." Too funny.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Master of Orion Remake Plans
25. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 19:50 Parallax Abstraction

As an epic fanboy of MoO 1 & 2 (I actually pre-ordered 3 as well, boy what a mistake), I so hope they pull this off right but Wargaming isn't known for their single-player games, nor for games you just buy once and own. A MoO game filled with microtransactions isn't going to work for me. But I'll give them a chance if it means this comes back.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
44. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 16:05 Parallax Abstraction

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 15:33:
The easy fix is letting companies set whether they want to allow refunds or not and then displaying that decision prominently to consumers when they go to buy.

What incentive does any developer have to do that though? I suppose they could use offering refunds as a marketing point but I feel like if this was something developers wanted to do, they'd already be doing it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

26. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 12:16 Parallax Abstraction

Alamar wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 11:34:
When I read this the other day, I had no idea who Puppygames was, and that they made that neat selection of games, like the one you mention... So bad, it has a 91% rate on Steam for ~700 reviews...

I'm glad those people liked it. The thing is, some people can not like the things a bunch of other people like. I hated Gone Home as well, most people didn't. If a pile of people liked Titan Attacks, good on em'. I bet they kept the game and didn't get their money back, the dev succeeded and everyone's happy. Personally, since I didn't care for it, I would have enjoyed having the refund policy in place when I bought it so I could have gotten my money back and given it to a developer that makes something I enjoy more. What's bad about that?

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 2015, 12:24.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

16. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:14 Parallax Abstraction

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:41:
Games like Audio Surf, geometry wars, Beat Hazard, etc... are the indie type games that will get decimated by this policy. They are the type of impulse buy games that people will eventually think, "great game but I'll return it and wait for it to be $2.50" after an hour of playing.

I personally just don't see that happening. People who are going to wait for a sale would have just waited for it anyway. Yes, it skews the numbers if they buy it at full price, return it and but it again on sale but again, if they wouldn't have bought it to begin with unless it was on sale, the net result is the same.

The developers will then start building unnecessary 2 hour mandatory "tutorials", with long boring no bypass non interactive in game cut scenes to combat it. :(

That's not going to happen because not only will it piss off the customers who are happily buying games at full price, it'll still cause refunds to happen. I tell you what, if I buy a game and find out they jammed in an unskippable 2 hour tutorial to combat refunds, I'd immediately quit out and request one. If you're going to waste the time of legitimate customers to combat what were really non-customers to begin with, you've messed up big.

IMHO the best way to combat it is to turn the refund to a penalty based approach. For each minute of play time you deduct 1% the game price from the refund, and at the end of 100 minutes you can't get one.

That's actually an interesting idea but that could also be abused by developers with your two hour tutorial thing. Suddenly we might see super long menu animations or long load times or unskippable cutscenes, the same thing that's happening now and if having to sit through that stuff is actually going to cost consumers money, I think we're going to see a lot more people just becoming gun shy again and refusing to buy stuff at launch until they hear this kind of thing. In the end, it still doesn't really work out.

Again, make a game people want and they'll buy it and keep it. If they are returning it, you should look at why they are and maybe why they don't like your product. Valve has an anti-abuse policy in place for the return system and the people that will partake in abuse of it probably weren't your customers in the first place. Just like DRM, if you punish the real customers to combat non-customers, you're messing up.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 10:27 Parallax Abstraction

I'm not sold on the idea of Steam Machines but it's worth noting that The Verge is a site that's run a number of different paid advertorial campaigns for Microsoft. They're also a site that relies on controversial clickbaiting more than actual journalism. Anything that comes from them should be taken with a mountain or two of salt.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

11. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 10:25 Parallax Abstraction

I did a blog post about this with a video rant to go with it. In my opinion, there is nothing bad about Steam refunds. Aside from the sheer arrogance of some of these uber-niche indie developers who think the entire system should bend to their will (because the failure of their projects is never their fault, it's always someone else's fault), there's some major flawed logic at play here. They assume that everyone who buys and beats a less than two hour game will always request a refund and they assume that everyone who is doing so would have bought the game in the first place.

I think this is just showing the reality that maybe some of their games aren't as good as they thought they were. I can tell you, as someone who has played Titan Attacks from Puppygames, I wish the refund policy was in place then because that game was bad. But like I said, it's always someone else's fault that your game doesn't sell, never cause for some self-reflection on your creation. Just because you think your game is good doesn't mean it is and it doesn't mean you're entitled to success.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Project CARS Sells 1M
7. Re: Project CARS Sells 1M Jun 6, 2015, 17:14 Parallax Abstraction

Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 05:09:
1 mil? SteamSpy shows about 160k owners on Steam. If the game requires Steam, that means the vast majority of sales were on consoles.

SteamSpy is also known to be very inaccurate when it comes to sales numbers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale Begins
21. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Begins Jun 3, 2015, 16:44 Parallax Abstraction

Lord Tea wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 11:52:
nin wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 10:16:
I've been buying more gog lately, not only for it's exclusives, but the fear that one day steam will finally do something unforgivable and I'll be done with it. The fact that a lot of the kickstarts I back end up with an extra redeemable key helps as well.

So...... what if some day GOG will do something unforgivable? Inquisitive

You keep the DRM-free downloaded copies you have and keep playing without issues.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3352 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo