Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3251 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 1, 2014, 20:17 Parallax Abstraction

It stands for Queer or Questioning depending on who you ask. It's supposed to represent people who are still determining their orientation as I understand it. I work for an organisation that represents post-secondary unions so I've heard a lot about it. Additionally, there is I which stands for Intersex and 2S which stands for "two spirited", which I haven't gotten a concrete explanation on but apparently it has something to do with Native culture. It can become a very long acronym.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 16:01 Parallax Abstraction

Tumbler wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:54:
I wouldn't expect Polygon to appreciate the value of a new PC peripheral currently.

I guess you don't read Polygon much (I don't blame you.) Their "Opinion Editor" is Ben Kuchera, who has been basically a pro-bono "journalist" shill for Oculus ever since their Kickstarter. This is probably the most negative article on Oculus to ever come from that site. I guess they wanted to have some kind of counterpoint to Kuchera's PR machine.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 1, 2014, 13:53 Parallax Abstraction

Julio wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 12:09:
If Hsu can't handle the #Gamergate heat, then time to go I guess. I like how he describes it as anti-journalist.

As if all gamers are against all journalists. Just a lot of gamers against corrupt journalists.

And lately, a large number of "journalists" have most certainly been against gamers. You know, their customers.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
14. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 30, 2014, 23:34 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 19:09:
Quboid wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 18:51:
I'm not sure the guy who thinks Apple will replace it is in luck but I don't know. Apart from him, I see their point. The numbers don't point to this being a particularly big issue (but I'm pretty sure it's more than 9, Apple) and the description this guy gives doesn't make it sound especially weak. Every phone bends if you have sufficient willpower.

The chances of me buying anything from Apple, including the iPhone 6+, are zero but this wouldn't put me off.

I'm pretty sure that's a criminal act, but never mind. It was research.

Yup, Consumer Reports tested it, found it's about average. Most people bending them on videos are putting serious pressure on them in very small areas. That isn't normal usage.

And yet multiple attempts to bend and Galaxy Note 3 with as much or more force results in it basically not bending at all. Funny what happens when your device is built on function first instead of fashion.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 26, 2014, 22:44 Parallax Abstraction

"Bash Bug “Shellshock” Is as Large an Issue as Heartbleed."

And it doesn't affect Windows or Android. I love watching smug Apple fanboys/press sites (which are largely one in the same) squirming to justify how this, the bending phones and the two emergency iOS 8 updates in two days are no big deal because it's Apple. So delicious.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 15:38 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 15:11:
"Men should never criticize anything a woman says because thats harassment, no wonder women are so SCARED!"

This game sure is fun!

Opinions are binary. You must be with one side or you're wholly on the other. This is the new law, so I've heard.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 24, 2014, 15:28 Parallax Abstraction

Number of times my Android 4.4 Nexus 5 has had an OS crash in the 6 months I've owned it: 0. It also hasn't been rebooted in over two months and still works fine. Number of times in 8 months my previous Windows Phone 8 Samsung ATIV S crashed: 0. Number of times my girlfriend's WP8 Lumia 920 has crashed in over two years: Twice, the last time being over a year ago. Yet everyone says iOS is the most reliable and "just works." Maybe if Apple put more than 1GB RAM in these supposedly state-of-the-art phones.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 24, 2014, 15:24 Parallax Abstraction

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 15:12:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 12:56:
Except for the whole bit where most of their initial money was raised with Kickstarter because a lot of people wouldn't back if they couldn't do it through there. Now his community doesn't care but Star Citizen was on initially on track to not hit its funding target until they used Kickstarter.

yeah that's completely false. Backers who were having trouble paying through their website )since it was very early stages, nothing like you see now..) asked for them to put it up on kickstarter too so they could back it there. That is why they did it and they had already raised a substantial amount of money by that point.

I actually backed it through their web site but I remember reading articles at the time that they moved to Kickstarter because fans were requesting it. Much like Steam, a lot of people just won't back if it's not in the one place they want. Maybe that's not the case but it's what I read at the time. Still, one can't deny that a lot of their initial fundraising did come from Kickstarter.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 24, 2014, 12:56 Parallax Abstraction

Except for the whole bit where most of their initial money was raised with Kickstarter because a lot of people wouldn't back if they couldn't do it through there. Now his community doesn't care but Star Citizen was on initially on track to not hit its funding target until they used Kickstarter.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 23, 2014, 14:34 Parallax Abstraction

This sudden surge of the "Because it's random and it's awesome because random!" genre of game is baffling to me. I never understood how something being presented nonsensically automatically makes it great.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 19, 2014, 11:27 Parallax Abstraction

Oh good. Google already gives massive preferential treatment in promotion to bigger channels (cause why help elevate new and growing channels instead of promoting channels that don't need the help) and now they're going to give them money directly too? Cripes.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2014, 12:08 Parallax Abstraction

vacs wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 11:28:
"iPhone 6 Breaks Pre-Order Record."

So many people can't be wrong, now can they?

To be fair, they're probably seeing all those features Android phones had back in 2012 and really want to get on that now. Because you know, Android (or in some cases, even BlackBerry) did it first but when Apple does it, that's when it becomes magical.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2014, 10:40 Parallax Abstraction

"he race to defeat Destiny's toughest challenge begins."

Getting through the "story" without falling asleep from boredom?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
15. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 10, 2014, 09:09 Parallax Abstraction

iPhone 6, only $299 on a two year contract to get a bunch of features my $300 no-contract Nexus 5 had a year ago and you still get the dated iOS UI to boot. They're not even trying any more. I was surprised how tepid the iWatch response was though, even from people I know who are pretty die-hard Apple fanboys. Smartwatches as a whole are a distraction by all the smartphone makers because they've run out of new "revolutionary" features to put in phones, people aren't going to keep upgrading every year just for a spec bump and they need something to try to keep their profits growing at their current unrealistic levels. Also interesting that they made no mention of either 64-bit apps or iTunes Radio, last year's two supposedly revolutionary things. The most important stuff at Apple events are what they don't talk about because they love to toot their own horn when stuff does well. When it doesn't, they just keep quiet and hope their hand-picked press fanboys in the audience don't bring it up which of course, no one has.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 7, 2014, 18:42 Parallax Abstraction

Yogscast who screwed Kickstarter backers and then who are taking a percentage of the profits from Space Engineers in exchange for coverage on their channel. Bastions of integrity they seem to be.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > WBIE TMs WB Play
5. Re: WBIE TMs WB Play Sep 7, 2014, 16:06 Parallax Abstraction

This sounds more like a casual label or something that they're launching. WB doesn't actually put out that many games compared to EA, Ubisoft etc. I don't think making their own digital platform would really be worth it for them. This might be a sub-label focused on family or mobile games though. 2K Play used to be a thing too, it was the label that put out Carnival Games and the like.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 5, 2014, 11:12 Parallax Abstraction

Whoever invented that stupid word phablet needs to be thrown into a sarlac pit, hoisted out with a crane and thrown into it again.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 3, 2014, 16:49 Parallax Abstraction

BitWraith wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:48:
NKD wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 11:36:
BitWraith wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 08:49:
It's the celebrities fault that someone broke into their device and stole their private property? How does that compute exactly?

Insecure passwords/recovery questions, failure to opt in to two-factor, etc.

You're on a PC gaming site, surely you should know that your security is mostly in your own hands. No company can protect you from yourself.

I try to avoid placing fault on the victim.

That iCloud was hacked was Apple's fault first a foremost (as much as they and their fanboys in the press try to deflect it) but I'm sorry, there is a certain level of personal responsibility involved if you are placing content on a device that you don't want the greater world to see and just clicking Next through the setup wizard and not paying attention as to whether it's being uploaded somewhere. Being the victim doesn't automatically mean you're free of responsibility in all cases. Especially if you're someone who is famous, you should be 100% sure that your data is secure and if it isn't, then you shouldn't be putting nude photos (or whatever else) somewhere you don't trust. People think Apple products are secure because Apple says so and yeah, taking that on blind faith is at least partially the user's fault. That iCloud isn't tied to the serial number of authorised devices (something that's trivially easy to do given how closed everything Apple is) is frankly ridiculous.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 3, 2014, 10:58 Parallax Abstraction

Windows Installer celebrates its 15th birthday and it's still the same glitchy, slow, bloated, frustrating pain in the ass with a useless UI it was 15 years ago.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
22. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:55 Parallax Abstraction

There's a better petition that Boogie2988 setup that states not only what the original one does but asks the "enthusiast" press to stop tarring all gamers with the same brush and stating that we're all the same based on what a vast minority of asshats do. Given the responses he got from supposed "professional journalists" to just stating that maybe there are some demonstratable conflicts of interest in the industry, I'd say his point is a valid one.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3251 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo