Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3158 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > March NPD Results
3. Re: March NPD Results Apr 18, 2014, 18:57 Parallax Abstraction

Axis wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 10:36:
NPD has been irrelevant for PC for years.

At least on consoles people still primarily purchase media more than digital.

NPD is irrelevant completely now. Many more digital sales are happening on console now and the best they can do is guess them. They're not even worth reporting on any more.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
2. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 09:28 Parallax Abstraction

How did the Elite rights end up at an IT provider?! Wow, there's a weird story behind that, especially since Frontier made the original Elite didn't it?  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Crysis and Crysis 2 MP Support End Next Month
4. Re: Crysis and Crysis 2 MP Support End Next Month Apr 14, 2014, 22:47 Parallax Abstraction

What little player base those games had was rampant with cheaters that they never bothered to do anything about anyway. They weren't bad multiplayer modes but they always felt like something Crytek put in because they were mandated by EA to do it. They never bothered supporting it properly.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 10:03 Parallax Abstraction

I see Polygon's clickbait...err...opinion section is doing its job marvelously. This article reminds me of Paul Barnett's infuriating attempt to defend Dungeon Keeper Mobile on one of Giant Bomb's GDC streams. He just kept spewing impressive sounding stats about how well the game did as proof that "people just don't get this yet" and "no one wants to admit free-to-play is the new art form." Never once did he admit that despite his cleverly obfuscated stats which never actually showed any significant success of the title, that perhaps some people might have a point and may he's wrong. Free-to-play can and in some cases, is actually being done very well. In most places, it isn't. Working in the industry as Cousins and Barnett do only show how much they're drowning in delusion about how much long-term good it's doing in its currently form.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Broforce Early Access
15. Re: Broforce Early Access Apr 8, 2014, 09:45 Parallax Abstraction

Tactical Swine, Motherfucking Ziplines and Killer Cocunuts. Well, that's all I needed to hear!  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Arcadecraft Demo
3. Re: Arcadecraft Demo Apr 4, 2014, 08:58 Parallax Abstraction

I played this on Xbox Live Indie Games and while the base idea is cool, there wasn't much to it there. You'd see all there is to see fairly quickly. I really liked what they were trying to do though, if they can add more content to the PC version, it could be really cool.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Mar 28, 2014, 21:00 Parallax Abstraction

The Magician wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 19:42:
.... and the mobile game apparently was pretty decent, but it's PC port has the worst reviews of anything I've ever seen anywhere.

The mobile game was awful, even on it's original platform.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
19. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 23:17 Parallax Abstraction

And Crytek just announced moments ago that they're countering this by offering a $9.90/month version of CryEngine 3. The engine wars, they have begun.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gauntlet Remake This Summer
6. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 10:37 Parallax Abstraction

This looks pretty cool. I hope it's not a broken mess like Arrowhead's other releases.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
20. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 16, 2014, 11:17 Parallax Abstraction

bhcompy wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 15:07:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 14:54:
first Sony shafted us with extremely low stock of PS4's compared to other regions, and now they're raising the prices? thanks for screwing your customers over...

this pretty much makes the Xbox One Titanfall bundle for $50 more a better deal.

The CAN lost value. That's how economics works

It's funny how once the dollar reached par a few years back, it took the better part of two years and an investigation by the Federal Competition Bureau for game prices to come back down to the same as the US. But the dollar takes a temporary drop of $0.10 and within a month, everything gets jacked up. Yeah, they're totally not using it as an excuse to gouge.

And yeah, there's PS4s on shelves everywhere in the US, meanwhile no retailers in my city have had any in stock for the better part of a month.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Titanfall Optimization Tips
23. Re: Titanfall Optimization Tips Mar 15, 2014, 23:20 Parallax Abstraction

Exclusivity wouldn't have ultimately been EA's decision anyway. Respawn owns the Titanfall IP and from what I understand, largely funded it themselves. EA's basically providing marketing and retail distribution for this. It's actually the last game in the now defunct EA Partners program. EA may have helped arrange exclusivity but it never would have happened without Respawn signing off on it. They absolutely knew. But the reason they keep talking up how Titanfall absolutely could come to PS4 is that now that a good chunk of their development was probably funded by the Microsoft exclusivity deal, they no longer require it and are happy to start putting their future stuff wherever they can.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2014, 09:00 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 23:26:
What ever happened to Godus? I haven't heard anything about that in yonks.

It's still being worked on but it's a game you pay for that full of really gross mobile-style microtransaction and cow clicker hooks. Even without those, it just appears to be a boring god game as well. Molyneux basically took everything that was gross about Curiosity, then applied it to a full price game.

EDIT: Wow, 96% bad user reviews on Steam I just noticed.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2014, 09:09.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
1. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 10, 2014, 19:28 Parallax Abstraction

Anyone who is putting up a final review with a score for a multiplayer game before the public is able to access the servers should be ashamed. It's as if they learned nothing from SimCity and Battlefield 4. Controlled review environments do not represent the final environment. Giant Bomb has put a review up but without a score and have reserved the right to alter it accordingly after the public release before locking it as final. Anyone who has done otherwise shouldn't be trusted.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 14:01 Parallax Abstraction

InBlack wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:52:
avianflu wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:50:
PC gaming is doing rather well in the recessionary climate.

Not so sure about the new consoles though. SONY has no money and its stocks are junk status. MS created a livingroom spying device that few people actually want.

You are wrong about the XBOX. Just like the new windows, its selling rather well. Microsoft is so ubiquous that if they put shit in the box (which in a way they did) it would still sell well. People are stupid.

Just look at how well Apple products sell if you want prime examples of people paying too much for too little. Also, bullshit TechCrunch clickbait is TechCrunch. Given that no other sites I read regularly have so much as mentioned this, I'd say they just needed a good clicks-through-controversy piece over there.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Disney Interactive Cuts 700
6. Re: Disney Interactive Cuts 700 Mar 6, 2014, 19:36 Parallax Abstraction

Man, even when focusing on crappy free-to-play browser and mobile games, Disney still can't run a gaming division to save its life. Yet they keep trying...  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > 3D Realms Acquisition Details
13. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

Few other than George Broussard can run a company in so legendarily inept a fashion, crashing it to the ground after spending 13 years making one of the worst AAA games in recent memory and still fall backwards into fortune by having it bought in the end. And he still thinks he's some game industry messiah if you read his Twitter. Amazing how often those who most deserve to fail just keep on succeeding.  
Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month
3. Re: PC Deus Ex: The Fall Next Month Feb 25, 2014, 09:07 Parallax Abstraction

Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 09:04:
Mobile sloppy seconds?

At least it's more or less the same price on PC as it was on mobile. Usually these crap ports are $1 there and $10 on PC.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Bails on GFWL
2. Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Bails on GFWL Feb 24, 2014, 18:42 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:20:
Too bad it was deemed pretty much the worst AC...

I've played every AC and while I didn't hate it as much as some, it was Namco's attempt to CoD-ify AC and it didn't work. Supposedly the upcoming free-to-play one is going to have a full campaign that's going to be more like the originals which I really hope. AR is worth it if you can get it cheap on a sale.

I will give them credit for stripping out GFWL too, especially given that this game has zero community right now. Now they need to do it ro Dark Souls.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 23, 2014, 20:01 Parallax Abstraction

Redmask wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:17:
The Windows Phone that people still don't want.

Given that Windows Phone growth more than doubled the industry average last year, I'd say you're probably wrong on that. We just rolled out a bunch of WP8 devices at work. It wouldn't have been my first choice for a phone but due to cost constraints, it was either this or BlackBerry 10 and there's no way we're hitching our wagon to that.

So far, Windows Phone is pretty good. It's got issues to be sure (most of which look to be getting addresses in 8.1) but from a usability standpoint, it's great. My users are not techie types and are accustomed to BlackBerry OS 7 and they've gotten proficient at Windows Phone with almost no training from me at all. Conversely, when a few of our people got iPads, I had to spend an afternoon teaching them how to get around on them and still got questions for days after.

The platform has a long way to evolve for sure but it's a lot better than many think and a lot of those who crap on it likely haven't even bothered to try it. That said, if it was up to me, I'd have an HTC One.

Parallax Abstraction

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
39. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 19:58 Parallax Abstraction

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:02:
This is going to be like watching two drunk idiots beat each other up at a bar, when you don't give a shit what the outcome is.

Two scumbag enters, one scumbag leaves. Maybe 3D Realms going away will finally stop George Broussard from thinking he's God's gift to industry commentary, despite running a company and all its employees into the ground by spending 13 years to make a horrendous game. Somehow I doubt it though.

Parallax Abstraction

3158 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo