Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Gerry Corcoran

Real Name Gerry Corcoran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parallax Abstraction
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://geekbravado.com
Signed On Jul 12, 2002, 18:05
Total Comments 3271 (Veteran)
User ID 13614

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Postal Redux Plans
3. Re: Postal Redux Plans Nov 17, 2014, 09:37 Parallax Abstraction

I still don't understand how this developer still exists. They've released 3 games, none of them sold well (Hell, Postal 3 never even came out in North America) and there's been years between them. In an era where one flop can kill a studio, I seriously don't know how how these guys make money.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
23. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 15, 2014, 11:50 Parallax Abstraction

I'm going to put up an episode of my Retro Flashback series today about this collection but just FYI, this collection is pretty rough. Emulation isn't bad but not perfect, the DOS versions are super janky and most of these games haven't aged well, as much as I loved them back in the day. Steam also says this game has partial controller support but no games with joystick support work with my Xbox 360 controller. There's a lot of games in here but the collection's rough at $10. But yeah, video on my channel later today.

EDIT: The video is up and I managed to get the Xbox 360 controller working. I didn't really do anything, it just kind of started working. The collection isn't bad but it's a bit expensive and it's definitely only for nostalgic fans of these games. They are rough to get into now.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2014, 15:21.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog Nov 13, 2014, 11:52 Parallax Abstraction

I've played and generally enjoyed every AC game either at or near release (though 3 was not very good) and I had this pre-ordered for $40 from a retailer promo on PS4 but I'll be returning it since I haven't opened it yet. I'll wait for them to get my act together (and also for this to get cheap) before I put my money down. From what I can tell, this game is much more like 3 but even bigger and more bloated with stuff that no one asked for, plus it's a technical mess AND it's full of microtransaction garbage. Yeah, not at full price. From what I've been hearing, Rogue is actually the much better game (plays like Black Flag II), it runs properly and other than the unnecessarily bloated crowds, it doesn't look that much worse. What a mess.

Also, TB did a 15 minute rant on technical issues and some game play shortcomings and didn't come close to finishing the game. Anyone who considers that a review has a really weird definition of that word.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 13:17 Parallax Abstraction

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:47:
The Destiny article is a bit funny.

Kotaku being Kotaku. For that matter, the games press still feeling like they're entitled to direct sales numbers. Activision's latest earnings are way up and they attributed most of that to Destiny. Whether or not it's doing as well as they ultimately hoped (which were probably absurdly high projections) is debatable but to say it's not a huge success is clearly evidenced as wrong by their earnings.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
8. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

I've seen people losing their minds over this and I don't get why. When you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam, you're literally just downloading the uPlay copy. When you double-click on the game in Steam, it launches uPlay and the games have no Steamworks integration. It's literally no different than just buying it on uPlay anyway, except you initially launch it from Steam, which you can still do by adding it as a non-Steam game. Don't get me wrong, I detest uPlay (look up the living Hell Splinter Cell: Blacklist owners went through with that) but people who are like "I hate this because I hate uPlay!" don't seem to get you've been buying those versions all along anyway.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10
12. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10 Nov 4, 2014, 14:23 Parallax Abstraction

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:25:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:21:
InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 09:45:
Isn't this like a really, really old game? 2008 I believe it was released or thereabouts. KUDOS to Volition for still supporting the game. I guess people are still playing this in multiplayer?

Sadly not. I beat it on PC a while back when it looked like GFWL wasn't going to be removed from it and there were zero people in multiplayer. Which is a shame cause I played a bunch of multiplayer on 360 around the game's launch and it's actually a ton of fun and unique. Maybe the community will get a little boost after this.
Is this the one where you can grab different back packs with different abilities in MP? Maybe I am thinking of a different game. That was a lot of fun online.

Yep, you're thinking of the right game. That and just completely wrecking the levels as you played were amazing. I'm surprised Volition's actually putting the work into this given that they're now owned by Deep Silver and Nordic Games actually owns Red Faction. They're either putting in pro bono effort to fix a game they don't own or one publisher is paying a developer owned by another publisher to fix their old game which no one's really playing anyway. It's a very odd arrangement but one that's fantastic to see.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 10:28 Parallax Abstraction

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 06:59:
As far as ignoring all of the threats or hoping people forget about her, really? That is your plan? She should just stop doing what she is doing completely and vanish because she is threatened? Even if she stopped talking about it personally, it's in the news and even your Gamergate comrades put up a web page about her and the other two women being harassed, with their photos and everything. Something tells me it'd be near impossible for her to just 'lay low' for months or years and silently pray for these assholes to get bored and stop.

And here you are moving the goal posts. No one's telling her to lay low or stop talking, just to stop giving the anonymous people who are threatening her attention. You do not kill trolls by feeding them. This is knowledge as old as the Internet itself and so many people still don't get it. Trolls want attention. You talk about them, you enable them because you've given them the attention they crave and proven they have power over you. If you receive a threat that's credible, you should report it to authorities, give them a chance to investigate it and yes, you can talk about it once it's been resolved. Otherwise, you have just created an anti-hero and convinced them to keep doing what they're doing because they know they can get to you. All of these people and articles talking about harassment, exactly how much help has that done to slow it? Hint: It hasn't. All it's done is enrich a bunch of web sites using the disgusting behaviour of these trolls to drive clicks. They don't care about Brianna Wu and what she's going through, they're profiting off of it. Constantly writing about and talking about harassment will perpetuate more of it. History is littered with proof of this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10
4. Re: Red Faction Guerilla Open Beta Drops GFWL & DX10 Nov 4, 2014, 10:21 Parallax Abstraction

InBlack wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 09:45:
Isn't this like a really, really old game? 2008 I believe it was released or thereabouts. KUDOS to Volition for still supporting the game. I guess people are still playing this in multiplayer?

Sadly not. I beat it on PC a while back when it looked like GFWL wasn't going to be removed from it and there were zero people in multiplayer. Which is a shame cause I played a bunch of multiplayer on 360 around the game's launch and it's actually a ton of fun and unique. Maybe the community will get a little boost after this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 21:57 Parallax Abstraction

I take it back, formatting my PS4 did NOT fix the issue. After hours of downloading everything again, it started refusing to go to Rest Mode again. Cripes Sony, get it together!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 19:23 Parallax Abstraction

I ran into this issue as well. None of the common fixes worked for me. I talked to Sony support and they told me to reinitialize (i.e. format) the system to fix it. I backed up my saves and did that and it's working again. The problem is unlike the PS3, there's no utility to back the whole thing up, only the saves so right now it's downloading almost 100GB of games and updates again. Really glad I don't have capped Internet. I normally would wait for the emergency 2.01 firmware that's undoubtedly coming soon but I have to do a live stream event from the PS4 this weekend and wanted it at 100%. Really ridiculous.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 21:52 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 21:06:
Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 19:40:
That mainstream media choose to connect gamers with the worst possible societal problems is nothing new. For years they've attempted to link playing games with school shootings. With people who don't find meaningful employment. Now with misogyny, and death threats.

Except this time, you know, its factual, with a giant movement angry at women and full of death threats.

Seriously, what journalist ethics have you guys attacked thus far?

I don't identify as Pro-GG and don't support everything that group is doing but I do support the argument that there are major ethics and nepotism issues in games media and there have been for years. Do five minutes of reading into a place like /r/kotakuinaction and you'll see it's not a giant movement that hates women. In fact, people from that group have been instrumental in mass reporting and stamping out the harassment that does happen with GamerGate attached to it. Some anonymous scumbag troll using the #GamerGate hasthtag != "Anyone who identifies as being with that movement supports harassment of women." By that logic, all muslims are terrorists because ISIS exists or all Catholics are pedophiles because a few priests have been. It's a ridiculous false equivalence. There are a lot of people in forums like that who denounce harassment and want real discussions on ethics. But the press and their supporters demand compliance and failure to do so means you're obviously a misogynist. That's nonsense.

I highly recommend checking out this video SuperBunnyHop did with an actual journalism scholar who basically says that there is zero question the way a lot of the games press operates right now doesn't remotely qualify as ethical by accepted journalistic standards.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 16:12 Parallax Abstraction

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 15:41:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 14:12:
ASeven wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 12:25:
TotalBiscuit writes a very eloquent blog post on GG.
You know what's funny about this, is that TB was very neutral when this all started. Right up until the anti-gg side decided to attack him for being so.

Goddamit TB. You used to be cool! Where does he get off telling people that thier personal relationships are somehow evidence that they're corrupted or unethical? I might punch someone that said that to me. It's uncalled for and a grave insult.

"Appears to damn chummy?" That's not evidence, it's innuendo. I'm not convinced.

In most proper circles that follow a strict journalism code of conduct, writing about subjects you have personal relationships with and not disclosing it is considered unethical. You can usually still write about them, you just have to clearly state that you are personal friends with them. This is done in most major media but the games press has steadfastly refused to acknowledge it as necessary. A lot of people disagree and frankly, it's not a lot to ask. A few sites have done this already but most have given some version of "How DARE you tell us we don't know what our audience wants, even when they're telling us!"

Also yeah, further analysis of that hit piece by Newsweek demonstrated their analysis to be almost comically flawed. Whether intentional or not I don't know but their conclusions were nonsense.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > John Riccitiello New Unity CEO
4. Re: John Riccitiello New Unity CEO Oct 22, 2014, 15:40 Parallax Abstraction

Over under on the number of months until some private equity firm with Bono on the board buys it?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
58. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 16:25 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 14:30:
I'm just glad everyone is finally seeing her for the fraud she is.

I take major issue with the way she both makes her arguments and factually represents the games she covers (the way she portrays Hitman Absolution is nothing short of outright lies) but I have a hard time accepting she's just an out and out scam artist. People can say what they want about how many death threats she's actually gotten and how credible they are but I think there's no doubt she has gotten a lot of those and taken a lot of abuse. Is enduring that really worth the $160K or whatever she got from her Kickstarter and whatever else she's getting from some of her speaking engagements and consulting? Not to say that isn't no money but it's not like she's becoming a millionaire off this and it seems an awful position to put yourself in for not ultimately a ton of money. Personally, I think she really does believe in her cause and what she's doing, I just have big problems with how she does it, how she manipulates the media and how she refuses to debate anyone who might be able to refute her.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

55. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 10:54 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 04:29:
InBlack wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 03:31:
Everyone is so quick to punish the gamer, calling it a TOXIC CULTURE. Why is that? What is wrong with people, why is there so much prejudice everywhere?

I have a few ideas about what is going on, and why you see so much toxic crap in response to relatively mundane stuff. For example, the disproportionate response to Anita Sarkeesian, who is a nobody in terms of actual feminist causes, and who never really said anything too controversial. Her videos were just pointing out obvious cliches everyone already knew about and had been poking fun at for decades. The only reason anyone is talking about her is because of the hate she gets. Her actual contributions to anything are basically zero. So if she didn't do anything of note, why did it get such a nasty response from certain people?

Some gamers can be very defensive. This is because, unlike what the so-called feminists want you to believe, a lot of gamers do not consider themselves to be a privileged group. They've been bullied, they've been social outcasts. A lot of gamers are not financially well-off. Many are not only gamers, but members of other groups that are unfairly ostracized. Many straight males in gaming have little or no experience dealing with women. They were often ridiculed and mistreated by girls while growing up. LGBTQ gamers have dealt with even worse. Game culture, for them, has become their comfort zone. Gamers can be cruel to each other, but they can also be really kind to each other and identify with each others plights. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than what they are experiencing in their personal lives. Often overcome by loneliness, and not having many people to turn to.

Then comes along a bunch of non-gamers making a big ol' scene. They say a lot of things, and some of them sound an awful lot like the same stereotypes and cruel things said about you in the real world. Most of what they are saying is innocuous, some of it even makes sense, but the only things you can hear are the things that remind you once again that you're not cool. Your friends and hobby are "offensive" and "problematic." Your reason and logic go out the window, all you feel is your comfort zone being chipped away.

Think about it from the perspective of those among the gaming community who are less fortunate and have had bad social experiences in their lives. The ones who use gaming as their escape from an otherwise lonely and cruel life.

These loud voices, mostly coming from relatively well-to-do, popular, white professionals, do not resonate with you. They do not sound like the voices of a fellow outcast looking for their fair shake. They sound like the next generation of the bullies who hassled you in junior high. In the 21st century, it's not the jock who is cool, but the socially savvy hipster who makes use of social media to garner a massive following. They have thousands of Twitter followers, millions of YouTube subscribers, and other well-to-do people lavishing sympathy and attention upon them.

Sure, those of us with a little more confidence and a little more social savvy can see where both sides are coming from, and can see that both groups have had issues with social inequality, despite being privileged in many ways. But for the more awkward gamers, they just feel like they are being bullied once again, this time in their own backyard.

So of course they bite back irrationally. Trolling and sending anonymous threats. You can hardly fault them for their life experiences that have left them bitter and unsympathetic to your claims of oppression. Not every gamer is like that, but you can hardly be surprised or shocked when people who have been bullied, outcast, and disenfranchised are not super receptive to the cries of oppression from some popular Internet celebrities.

It's terribly asymmetrical as well. Let's look at the outliers, the people being straight up bullies. On the "gamer" side you have anonymous trolls and threats. Virtually everyone disregards them as the meaningless flailing they are. But on the "feminist" side, the people doing the bullying have ACTUAL BULLY PULPITS. They have thousands of followers, editor status on some high traffic website, and an army to retweet every thing they say.

TL;DR: These feminists playing the victim don't go over too well with some gamers because from their perspective it looks a lot like cool popular kids trying to pretend they know the plight of the outcast and the marginalized. They themselves feel marginalized, which makes the sting of being painted a privileged misogynist scumbag even harder to bear. The less stable among these marginalized gamers will indeed lash out irrationally, and you'd have to have been blind to not see that coming.

I believe this sums up my opinion on that post.

I don't believe feeling like a marginalized group justifies the kind of vicious attacks we've been seeing (though I don't think that's what you're advocating) but yes, this is a very interesting perspective on perhaps why the pushback has been so massive. And when I see people such as Wu in the thread on Giant Bomb's Letter to the Editor constantly moving the goalposts and saying that the fact that the thread is all men discussing women's issues (as if women are banned, plus she has no way of knowing how many people there are or aren't women) is part of the problem, I don't know how this is ultimately supposed to get solved. She claims people keep talking and not listening but if no one in that thread posted anything because she's saying they shouldn't be talking, then she'd be enraged that "no one cared." You can see examples of what I mean starting on page 31 of this.

This is the part of the whole situation that depresses me. There are real and legitimate issues regarding representation in games and the industry that should be discussed. There are also real issues of cronyism in the games press that should be discussed. But people like Quinn, Sarkeesian and Wu don't want discussion, they don't want debate, they want compliance. Their way is the one true way (for no other reason than because they say so) and if you don't comply, you are the enemy and no better to them than the scumbags who have threatened their lives. They are supposed to be about equality for women but only if it fits their subset of feminism.

My girlfriend is a strong woman who strongly believes in equality for women but when I've explained what these women are saying, she finds is appalling and ultimately more damaging to the cause of equality because it's turning it from a discussion into a battle. People like Quinn, Sarkeesian, Wu and their supporters would call her a traitor to women for thinking that way. In fact, I've seen them do exactly that to people with similar viewpoints. This is not how you advance an otherwise just agenda. But you can't say that because you're slapped with fallacies and told you don't count. I don't know how you resolve that.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2014, 12:48.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 16:45 Parallax Abstraction

NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 15:25:
Something to think about: If it was Boogie2988 from YouTube making a huge deal out of the threats he's received, leaving his home, how many press outlets would be interested in telling the story of an obese straight white male gamer being "forced out of his home?"

I have an answer for you. No one in the press cared. The threats he's received for doing nothing more than telling both sides that they need to calm down and that the actions of a few don't represent the whole on either sie have gotten zero coverage and what little commentary I've seen about it from the usual suspects in the press is either that a) He had it coming because he didn't wholly agree with them or b) Because of who he is (or rather isn't), it wasn't as big a deal.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
38. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2014, 11:33 Parallax Abstraction

Squirmer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 21:19:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 13:31:
The problem with that is Alexander's article was purposefully on the offensive.
Yes it was, but you have to see in context. She has been receiving abuse for the things she writes for years. Literally years.

You excuse gamers getting angry at her in response. You presumably excuse Prez calling her a "worthless sack of shit" in this thread. Why can't you also excuse her anger?

Don't twist my words. Nowhere did I excuse abuse thrown at her. That you assume I excuse Prez's comment because I didn't call him out for it is the kind of response that's exactly why we can't have proper discussions of these issues anymore. People who fling hatred and harassment are scum. It's also a vast minority of gamers at large. But that's not what she and her compatriots wrote, they declared an entire identity dead because of a vocal, abusive minority. I'm sorry, you don't get to appoint yourself arbiter of what the term "gamer" means just because a few of them are assholes. That's the kind of thing Jack Thompson used to do. We didn't accept it from him, I won't accept it from anyone else. They used an ICBM to target a tent city. It was arrogant bullying 101. That you've received undeserved abuse in the past doesn't excuse you from criticism now. If you write an article designed to stir up controversy, there's going to be controversy. I disagree with her and have some real problems with her attitude towards her audience. That doesn't mean I hate her as a person. Anger begets anger and that goes both ways.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
24. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 20:53 Parallax Abstraction

UHD wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 17:50:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 16:37:
I'd generally agree, right up until the point where people are calling me "worse than ISIS."

I think it's funny that you take that sort of thing seriously.

Oh OK, if someone compares the gaming community to a hyperviolent terrorist group, it's OK if it's done as a joke. How silly of me, I thought maybe just making an intelligent argument, rather than throwing childish insults around is how you appear to be the better person.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 13:31 Parallax Abstraction

The problem with that is Alexander's article was purposefully on the offensive. It was an arrogant hit piece that declared the death of an entire identity based on a few rotten elements within it. It's the same kind of thing Jack Thompson did for years. It's no less acceptable when she does it.

Every mainstream article is about the fight against women because that's the element they're choosing to write about. I've long said that the more rational elements within GamerGate need to get away from that moniker but if you do more than a cursory look inside that community, you'll find a lot of people who are all for women in gaming and the games press. However, that's not the convenient narrative many writers (Alexander chief among them) are peddling because it's not easy or convenient. They are stoking the fires of outrage and doing so on purpose. Sure, there are gamers who are anti-women and those people are scumbags. If you look into the participants in GamerGate however, you'll find most of them don't agree with that stance.

Alexander, Kuchera, Allen, Faraci et al. frequently act like arrogant bullies, attacking those who don't agree with them in full as being fully in support of the other side. It's intellectually dishonest to put it mildly and it's stoking the fires of outrage culture. I don't fully agree with them, nor do I fully agree with GamerGate. Since I'm an intelligent, rational adult, I can formulate my own opinion without diving into either side's trench. There are real discussions and debates about important issues that could be had but the people with the loudest voices on both sides are doing nothing to further those discussions. They are going out of their way to paint each other with broad extremist brushes and it's gross. They demand that gamers police themselves and stand up against harassment, yet sit oddly quiet when one of their own calls gamers worse than ISIS or that all gamers are misoginerds. To them, it's no longer about the discussion, it's become a sadistic and pathetic need to fight. These writers are no less gross in their participation in this, they're just the other extreme.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

News Comments > Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced
2. Re: Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced Oct 3, 2014, 20:29 Parallax Abstraction

I highly approve of that name!  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3271 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo