Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jedi

Real Name Jedi   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JediPunisher
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 3, 2002, 22:42
Total Comments 281 (Amateur)
User ID 13530

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
46. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 4, 2012, 16:27 JediPunisher

Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 02:36:
... filtered through your ipad/smartphone/tablet, and pumped back into your goggles

Why not simply head mount an iPad 3? The 3D effect should be pretty good with the iPad held about a foot away with some sort of vertical divider between the eyes. While not exactly the "wrap-around" widescreen effect of the Oculus, the resolution would be far superior at 1024x1536 per eye. The iPad even has built-in gyros which might reduce the number required for the headset mount... and, it's wireless! Of course, it would probably be a laggy slideshow pumping hi-res data from your PC to iPad over wi-fi. Still, I'm sure the new iPad has the power to run something like Quake3 on its own. All the iPad needs is some type of wireless controller.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
36. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 17:49 JediPunisher

I was initially excited about the Oculus, but after digging deeper, not so much... It doesn't work with glasses, and is extremely low-res at only 640x800 per eye. According to John Carmack, it appears much lower res than that, and is very pixelated since your eyes are so close to the panel.

Still, I'm happy this Kickstarter is succeeding, and I do plan to buy one... But, I think I'll hold onto my $300 for the much higer-res consumer version.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Screenshot
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Screenshot Jul 20, 2012, 18:12 JediPunisher

Looks great. It makes me feel better about my $250 pledge.  

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
24. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 5, 2012, 23:27 JediPunisher

I wouldn't mind more Rage... but I'd prefer more Doom or Wolfenstein.

News Comments > RAGE DLC Plans?
31. Re: RAGE DLC Plans? Jun 19, 2012, 18:03 JediPunisher

I feel sorry for those who didn't finish Rage, which continued after the credits rolled...
The big boss fight at the end was brutal! Wtf

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
11. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 18:47 JediPunisher

Why would EA provide free Ultima games to GoG, an Origin competitor?
Let's all pray that the "special announcement" isn't an EA buyout of GoG. Protest

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
10. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 18:38 JediPunisher

Neither game has really anything to do with Ultima other than cheap name placements, and their quality is Worlds Below the actual Ultima games.

Yes, both games combined are shorter than Ultima 6, whose engine they were based on. Nevertheless, they are good games, especially Martian Dreams... and well worth the price.
While Lord British may be absent, look for Warren Spector in both.

News Comments > Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas
2. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 12, 2012, 18:01 JediPunisher

It's a little late; Is anyone still playing this game?
Diablo 3 is so... yesterday.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
62. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 20:09 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 07:38:
Not really seeing your point. You claimed that next-gen consoles might be as powerful as high-end PC's.
Maybe you’ve mistaken me for a console fanboy… I am not.
I never said next-gen consoles would be equal in power to a high-end PC… they won’t be.
I simply said that it’s best to leave dumbed down console games for the consoles.

As for Rage, I wouldn’t have believed it either, but it plays better on my 360 than my $3K PC. Sure, my PC runs it at higher-res w/AA, but on my 360 I get a consistent, silky smooth 60fps.
Another is Fallout New Vegas… After preordering the PC collector’s edition and finding it to be a bug ridden mess, I bought a second copy for my 360 so I could play it. Unlike Rage, the PC version of NV looks 10 times better, but played better on the 360 due to fewer bugs.

Yes, I agree, most console games are better on the PC… but they are still dumbed down console ports!
I want a thriving PC market with original games that really push the limits, both in terms of graphics and gameplay… But it's not going to happen while every major developer is focused on the upcoming next-gen consoles.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 20:16.

59. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 9, 2012, 05:05 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:40:
it's difficult to claim that the console version of RAGE is better than the PC version.
I've played Rage start to finish twice on a high-end PC and xbox...the 360 wins.

Not going to happen. With SLI/Crossfire, SSD RAID arrays, octocore CPUs and 16+ gigs of RAM, high-end PCs are exponentially more powerful than current consoles.
True, but who is going to make these mythical PC games you speak of? Who will use the untapped power of the PC? I hate to burst your bubble, but it won't be John Carmack, Tim Sweeney, or Tiago Sousa. Maybe Notch will come to the rescue? Many blame piracy, but the truth is, with the explosion of tablets and notebooks, there just aren't enough high-end desktops to support a fertile PC gaming market. And with the next-gen consoles on the horizon, PC gamers are going to be served up sloppy seconds for years to come.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2012, 05:17.

56. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 8, 2012, 18:44 JediPunisher

You wouldn't happen to have an ATI card, would you?

Yes, I played Rage on an i7-980x PC with dual 5850s, and was lucky to get 30fps regardless of resolution along with some very noticeable texture issues. A couple of months later, AMD's drivers had me at 60fps, with an occasional drop into the 40s. Later, I picked up the console version on sale, and was surprised how smoothly it ran on my 360. There is no doubt, Carmack designed Rage for consoles, with the PC just an afterthought.

You have to realize, I've been a die hard PC gamer for 20+ years, and was dragged in to console gaming kicking and screaming... In fact, I play console games at my desk on my PC monitor. However, most modern multi-platform games are designed for the consoles, and are not always better on the PC.

Once the next-gen consoles are released, if they offer true 60fps anti-aliased 1080p gaming with all of DX11's bells and whistles, it could be a further death nail into PC gaming... at least for a while. But as a reluctant console gamer, I'm crossing my fingers for wireless keyboard and mouse support.

54. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 22:17 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:39:
Why would you ever choose to play the game on console..? The only reason to do that would be if the port was so utterly horrible that it actually looked and played worse on PC, which almost never happens.
One word... Rage.
Rage plays better, has fewer texture issues, and a better overall frame rate on my 360 than high-end PC.

Jerykk wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 20:39:
Also, Crysis 2 PC + DX11 patch + high-res texture pack >>>>>>> console Crysis 2.
Yes, but with the proper tweaks, Crysis DX10 > Crysis 2 DX11.

52. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 20:30 JediPunisher

So, the PC gets sloppy seconds again... Does it really surprise anyone?
I've found that it's usually best to play console games on a console, and PC games (what few there are) on a PC.

Speaking of PC games, in a recent E3 interview, Crytek promised to win back PC gamers by really pushing the limit this time with Crysis 3.
Good news, since Crysis 2 suffered from a bad case of consolitis, complete with DX9 graphics (although a disappointing DX11 patch was released months later).

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
17. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 18:19 JediPunisher

Divine Divinity is on my list of the 10 best crpgs of all time.
It felt like this blend of Ultima and Diablo was made by people who really love rpgs (much as CD Projekt Red's The Witcher is today)...
but I'll wager those people didn't work on the lackluster sequels.

Those that missed it should really check it out... It's a far better game than Diablo 3.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded
31. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded May 28, 2012, 22:23 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on May 28, 2012, 18:41:
If the vehicle physics in GTA4 are any indication, Rockstar should stay as far away from vehicular combat as possible.

True, Rockstar has some work to do in that department, but they have improved... I thought the vehicle physics in RDR were excellent.
Regardless, if Rockstar made I'77, we'd get a large open world full of hoes and foul language, killer soundtrack, and minigames such as pinball and hide the salami. Thumbsup

This comment was edited on May 28, 2012, 22:40.

29. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded May 28, 2012, 17:13 JediPunisher

Cutter wrote on May 28, 2012, 07:43:
I still have my I76 discs and listen to the funk on them. A new I76 would be a day one purchase for me!

Rockstar should purchase the rights to I'76... They could make an awesome sequel, GTA with vehicular combat, complete with a groovy 70's soundtrack.

15. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded May 28, 2012, 05:30 JediPunisher

Drezden wrote on May 27, 2012, 20:11:
Redline was a wannabe Interstate '76 and I never thought it was nearly as good.
Just give me a true I'76 sequel with weight classes and custom setups like the original.

YES! We need a true Interstate '76 sequel (I'82 is best forgotten).
Redline is not worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as I'76... that's like comparing Daikatana to Half-Life.

8. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Funded May 27, 2012, 17:33 JediPunisher

I'm more interested in the Tex Murphy Kickstarter...

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Security
36. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Security May 23, 2012, 07:08 JediPunisher

Dirwulf wrote on May 23, 2012, 04:47:
You wrote a really long post that is 100% pure bullshit.

Well, you should thank Walt for writing such a pithy essay... One of his more garrulous posts clocked in at 2441 words and 189 lines.
My mother always taught me to say something nice or nothing at all... so, WaltC, you have excellent typing skills.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Security
3. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Security May 22, 2012, 22:08 JediPunisher

So, the comprimised Battle.net accounts aren't Blizzard's fault, it's ours for not buying their optional Battle.net Authenticator USB Key. Rolleyes

Last night, I couldn't play their damn single player game because Battle.net was down for 8 hours!
One more time, and I'm shelving Diablo3... I'm itching to play Max Payne 3 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier anyway.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 22:15.

281 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo