Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jedi

Real Name Jedi   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JediPunisher
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 3, 2002, 22:42
Total Comments 274 (Amateur)
User ID 13530

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter
17. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 22, 2012, 12:58 JediPunisher

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:16:
JediPunisher wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:13:
The power of a good name should not be underestimated. How many copies would DOOM have sold if it had been named SHAKER?

The same because it was ground breaking, but I agree a name can help and hurt in general. They just didn't put enough effort into organizing this.

Yes, Doom was ground breaking, but I still think the cool name helped the sales.
But, a better example would've been, what if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had been named SHAKER.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
40. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 22, 2012, 12:36 JediPunisher

I also hate the Metro UI on my Adbox 360.
As with the 360, it won't be long before Microsoft pushes video ads on us through Windows 8... That could be a HUGE revenue stream for MS, and might be the real reason they are forcing Metro on us.

News Comments > Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter
13. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 12:13 JediPunisher

I'm not surprised. When you begin a Kickstarter without a name for your project, you're in trouble. "An RPG by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall" is not the way to attract donations; Those aren't exactly household names. When they finally named it SHAKER, that was good for a laugh; That better suits a Kinect dance game than an rpg.

Another with a similar problem was Jane Jensen. She started her Kickstarter as "Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio", but at least she was well known to fans. Later, her project was named Moebius and was successfully funded at about 150%, but it wasn't looking good for awhile. I can only imagine how much money she would've raked in if she had begun her Kickstarter as "Gabriel Knight creator Jane Jensen presents Moebius."

The power of a good name should not be underestimated. How many copies would DOOM have sold if it had been named SHAKER?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 21, 2012, 17:13 JediPunisher

I will NEVER upgrade to Windows 8!
MS has made a huge mistake trying to ram this Metro UI down our throats...It's fine on a phone or tablet, but not on my f-ing desktop! Furious

My God, who's in charge at MS since Bill Gates took a hike?
I can't imagine that the thousands of geeks and power users employed by MS haven't voiced their outrage at having their desktop PCs turned into iPad clones. Call me cynical, but I think Microsoft is trying to kill its stock price so they can buy their shares back at a bargain price just before announcing a Metro-less Windows 9.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter
32. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 18:00 JediPunisher

Due to the rocky start, my confidence in this project is not high, but I loved the WC & Privateer games so I’m in at $30.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 16, 2012, 23:10 JediPunisher

I'm looking forward to replaying this one on my big screen 3D TV.

News Comments > Roberts Space Industries Website Back
16. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 15, 2012, 16:59 JediPunisher

I'm a big Wing Commander/Privateer fan, but Chris Roberts has been out of the software business for a long time; His last game was designed for Windows 95. If Chris and his team have so much trouble getting his website to work properly, what hope do we have for his game? BTW, I hate the website's light/dark background; reading it gave me a headache. Dead

As much as I love WC, I am seriously debating if I should support this game, and I'm sure others feel the same. I hate to say it, but Robert's attempt at crowdfunding his game seems amateurish. Why didn't he just use Kickstarter? He claims it's because his own website allows him greater freedom to connect with the fans and offer multiple payment options...that is, when it actually works...but he could've just linked to it. Had it been on KS, I would've already thrown a bucket of cash at it, and I have no doubt they would've hit $2M by now. After all, it only took 24 hours for Project Eternity to hit their $1.1M goal.

News Comments > Project Eternity Hitting Stretch Goals
9. Re: Project Eternity Hitting Stretch Goals Sep 17, 2012, 21:45 JediPunisher

Stretch Goal #99 @ $9.9M = Post release patches.
Stretch Goal #100 @ $10M = Beta test the game before releasing it.

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
35. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 14:18 JediPunisher

I am not going to make the mistake of preordering this one, only to have it sit on my shelf for months while I wait for badly needed yet infrequent patches.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2012, 23:51 JediPunisher

Yeah, close to Avatar in quality...and length.
I still remember those PS2 commercials promising a virtual reality experience…You never saw PS2 gameplay, only CGI cutscenes.

News Comments > G4 Makeover Coming?
12. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 8, 2012, 01:06 JediPunisher

A more sophisticated G4 reminiscent of GQ?
Well, that explains why Adam Sessler left the network…After all, he’s not exactly GQ material. He recently tweeted that he broke his d..k dancing Gangnam style.

Anyways, I think GQ4 is a mistake... I miss TechTV with old favs like The Screen Savers with Leo and Patrick!

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2012, 01:27.

News Comments > Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev
17. Re: Spec Ops: The Line MP Knocked By Dev Aug 29, 2012, 14:20 JediPunisher

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:11:
At the same time, plenty of people (even here) say "no multiplayer? I'm not paying $60 for a 12 hour single player game!"
So multiplayer gets tacked on, and it sucks, and no one is happy. Or, sometimes, an additional 4-6 hours is tacked on, and they suck and outstay their welcome, and no one is happy.

While I do enjoy well polished multiplayer, for most games I'm fine with SP only. I'd prefer their budget to be spent on extending SP instead of adding crappy multiplayer designed by a different developer.

I'm not sure MP matters that much to publishers as long as its a lengthy SP campaign. You see, the idea is to entice purchasers to keep the game for a few weeks before trading it in, which in turn maximizes sales of new copies. The problem is that too many games nowadays have SP campaigns that can be completed in a single afternoon; Those games really need quality MP to keep them out of the bargain bin.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2012, 14:33.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2012 Keynote
9. Re: QuakeCon 2012 Keynote Aug 5, 2012, 06:08 JediPunisher

Rage was good, but the last great id game was Doom 2.

I've finished Rage twice, first on a high-end PC and then on my 360. I hate to admit it, but Rage was superior on the 360... smooth as butter at 60fps with none of the driver issues, texture bugs, or framerate hitches of the PC version. Yes, Rage looked sharper and loaded faster on my PC, but those were the only benefits... Heck, the game even controlled better with a 360 controller on the PC.

One day, John Carmack may bless us with another state-of-the-art PC shooter... but until then we'll have to make due with bad console ports.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2012, 06:15.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
46. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 4, 2012, 16:27 JediPunisher

Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 02:36:
... filtered through your ipad/smartphone/tablet, and pumped back into your goggles

Why not simply head mount an iPad 3? The 3D effect should be pretty good with the iPad held about a foot away with some sort of vertical divider between the eyes. While not exactly the "wrap-around" widescreen effect of the Oculus, the resolution would be far superior at 1024x1536 per eye. The iPad even has built-in gyros which might reduce the number required for the headset mount... and, it's wireless! Of course, it would probably be a laggy slideshow pumping hi-res data from your PC to iPad over wi-fi. Still, I'm sure the new iPad has the power to run something like Quake3 on its own. All the iPad needs is some type of wireless controller.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
36. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 17:49 JediPunisher

I was initially excited about the Oculus, but after digging deeper, not so much... It doesn't work with glasses, and is extremely low-res at only 640x800 per eye. According to John Carmack, it appears much lower res than that, and is very pixelated since your eyes are so close to the panel.

Still, I'm happy this Kickstarter is succeeding, and I do plan to buy one... But, I think I'll hold onto my $300 for the much higer-res consumer version.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Screenshot
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Screenshot Jul 20, 2012, 18:12 JediPunisher

Looks great. It makes me feel better about my $250 pledge.  

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
24. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 5, 2012, 23:27 JediPunisher

I wouldn't mind more Rage... but I'd prefer more Doom or Wolfenstein.

News Comments > RAGE DLC Plans?
31. Re: RAGE DLC Plans? Jun 19, 2012, 18:03 JediPunisher

I feel sorry for those who didn't finish Rage, which continued after the credits rolled...
The big boss fight at the end was brutal! Wtf

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
11. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 18:47 JediPunisher

Why would EA provide free Ultima games to GoG, an Origin competitor?
Let's all pray that the "special announcement" isn't an EA buyout of GoG. Protest

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
10. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 18:38 JediPunisher

Neither game has really anything to do with Ultima other than cheap name placements, and their quality is Worlds Below the actual Ultima games.

Yes, both games combined are shorter than Ultima 6, whose engine they were based on. Nevertheless, they are good games, especially Martian Dreams... and well worth the price.
While Lord British may be absent, look for Warren Spector in both.

274 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo