Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jedi

Real Name Jedi   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JediPunisher
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 3, 2002, 22:42
Total Comments 270 (Amateur)
User ID 13530

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 8, 2014, 16:47 JediPunisher

If one of these TSA morons tries to confiscate my iPhone or iPad because it's powered down and needs charging, I will power them down! Fight

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October
15. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 3, 2014, 17:24 JediPunisher

I've been waiting 15 years for a sequel to my favorite turn-based strategy game of all time, Alpha Centauri. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be waiting a while longer, because this isn't it. I hate hex grids, which restrict movement to six directions making the game less strategic... in other words, dumbing it down for the Nintendo generation while simplifying the AI programming. Could be worse, I guess... They could've returned to square tiles and limited our movement to four directions, rather than the original eight.  

News Comments > Underworld Ascension Announced
37. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 2, 2014, 22:17 JediPunisher

jtripper wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:50:
They obtained the rights to the Underworld franchise from EA, but not the Ultima-associated IP. Thus, there isn't any "Ultima" in the title, except the "nod" to U9.
This has been confirmed by OtherSide Entertainment via their official forums.

Now, that is interesting. Underworld is not a registered trademark of EA and has not been used for over 20 years. While they should've been able to use the name without licensing it, I'm sure EA would've griped. This way, they don't have to worry about empty threats of lawsuits, and can make a real Underworld game (i.e. same gameplay mechanics and look & feel).

33. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 23:21 JediPunisher

BitWraith wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:23:
Since EA owns the franchise I'd say they pretty much have to have something to do with it. I seriously doubt they just handed over the rights to this out of the goodness of their heart.

EA owns the registered trademark UltimaŽ... not Underworld.
If Paul Neurath were making an UltimaŽ Underworld game, then EA would have cause to sue. Now, Underworld might be an unregistered trademark, but since EA hasn't released an Underworld game in over 20 years, I'd say it's fair game.

24. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 17:19 JediPunisher

BitWraith wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 16:39:
I wouldn't get too excited. EA is still rolling around on the rotten corpse of Origin. I'll never forgive them for destroying one of the greatest RPG franchises that will ever exist. They probably won't allow this one to be good.

I don't see what EA has to do with any of this. This isn't a sequel to Ultima Underworld and has no Ultima connection... unless EA agreed to publish it and it was renamed Ultima Underworld 3: Ascension, in which case your fears would be justified.

20. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 16:24 JediPunisher

Wow, this is fantastic news! Beam

Ultima Underworld 1&2 are two of my all time favorite games.
Paul Neurath not only created Ultima Underworld, but he also founded Blue Sky/Looking Glass, and created some of my all time favorite games. While he is not as well known as Richard Garriott, Warren Spector, or Chris Roberts... he is a major player.

Yes, I highly doubt Underworld Ascension will have any Ultima connection... but neither did the original Underworld until Origin agreed to publish it.

I can't wait!! Where do I preorder??

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jun 30, 2014, 20:23 JediPunisher

The original Divine Divinity was a fantastic Ultima7-Diablo hybrid.
I'm resisting the temptation to download it now... I think I'll wait for my boxed CE and the first patch.

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
10. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 20:00 JediPunisher

During his brief retirement, Cliffy was hard at work building his throne... a GoW chainsaw crack cleaner toilet... a must have for every a-hole.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 14:46 JediPunisher

I'm not sure this was news to anyone... I just always assumed everyone at Apple was gay.  

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
21. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 23, 2014, 16:01 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 05:07:
Also, v-sync is terrible. Causes input lag and microstuttering. How any hardcore PC gamer doesn't already have a 120+ Hz monitor is baffling to me. 120 Hz + no v-sync = smooth, tear-free, lag-free goodness.

Well, for a single player game, a smooth vsynced 30fps is better than an unlocked framerate that bounces all over the place... not to mention the awful screen tearing.
But, I'll agree there are times when no vsync is better, such as to minimize input lag for an illusory advantage in MP games or to minimize microstuttering.

The problem is that disabling v-sync produces tearing... even with a 120Hz monitor... and many of us can not stand screen tearing. Up until now the solution was to cap the frame rate to a multiple of the monitor's refresh rate, usually 30 or 60 fps. This prevents screen tearing by insuring only fully drawn frames are displayed; If the frame rate dips to 40 fps and is vsynced to a 60Hz refresh, it simply means that every other frame is displayed twice with no tearing. John Carmack and Nvidia have been pushing G-Sync (variable vsync) which puts the game in control of when vsync occurs, not the monitor. So, with Nvidia's G-sync and a compatible monitor, the image is only displayed when it is ready, whether it takes 1/10s or 1/120s to draw, which should eliminate screen tearing and microstutter. I'm looking forward to giving this a try when the price of those new monitors drops.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2014, 16:12.

News Comments > All Backers Get Wasteland 2 Beta Access
15. Re: All Backers Get Wasteland 2 Beta Access Jun 20, 2014, 15:01 JediPunisher

I'll wait for my signed boxed CE, then I'll play the beta.  

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
19. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 20, 2014, 14:47 JediPunisher

Fluid v-synced 30fps > inconsistent 60fps.

As you rotate 360 degrees, if you're getting 60fps facing a wall and it dips to ~30fps facing a horde of zombies, you will notice. Better to have it locked to 30fps, IMHO. Sure, many gaming pcs are much more powerful than the XB1. But due to the huge number of zombies instanced onscreen (500?), I guessing VRAM will affect your frame rate far more than horsepower for this game. Remember, the XBone can theoretically assign 8GB, minus the core game and OS overhead, as VRAM. I'd wager an average PC with a 4GB video card beats a $3K monster with triple-SLI 2GB cards.

For the most part, the game was locked to 30fps on the XBone. I only noticed the frame rate dip (maybe to about 20fps) later in the game as I mowed down hundreds of zombies at a time with vehicles.

BTW, it was a fun game, and I didn't even like the original.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 17, 2014, 16:18 JediPunisher

It's sad that we'll never see Shenmue 3.

Shenmue is best described as a slow-paced GTA-style 3D open-world third-person martial arts brawler/adventure game.
It was actually the first 3D open-city game, predating GTA III by 2 years, and is notorious for creating the QTE.

You played Ryo, a young Japanese man seeking revenge for his father's murder. You explore a small Japanese town (and later Hong Kong) talking to locals, searching for clues, working odd jobs such as forklift driver, wagering on various parlor games, playing classic video arcade games, collecting toy figurines, and learning new martial arts moves to try out on street thugs. Fun stuff!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears
19. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 15:00 JediPunisher

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:43:
Gee, you only had to drop $140 to have access to the beta. Rolleyes

Well, I dropped $150 for the boxed CE w/playing cards, so I guess that entitles me to beta access. Smug
But others shouldn't fret... You'll have beta access soon enough... Obsidian loves to release betas at retail. Wiseguy

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay
16. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Jun 6, 2014, 15:40 JediPunisher

Creston wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 11:07:
I'll admit I haven't really kept track of this one. Is it like that dragonknight divinity game, where you can change into a dragon, and it's sorta Skyrim-lite, or is it like that Diablo / ARPG game they made?

As Wolfox said, Original Sin is very close to the original Divine Divinity, which was a fantastic Ultima7-Diablo hybrid game. And D:OS adds innovative co-op. If you enjoyed any of those games, you'll love this one (assuming development has gone as planned). BTW, this is not the first sequel to Divine Divinity... but the first one, Beyond Divinity, is best forgotten.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 5, 2014, 16:00 JediPunisher

Creston wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 11:17:
1080p, 30fps. FEEL THE POWER OF NEXT-GEN!

Well, Forza 5 was at 1080p/60fps... but Horizon 2 is an open-world racer with day/night cycles and a weather system. I'm actually surprised they were able to pull this off on an underpowered console at 1080p while promising it will never dip below 30fps.

News Comments > 64-Bit PC Dead Rising 3 Confirmed
18. Re: 64-Bit PC Dead Rising 3 Confirmed Jun 5, 2014, 15:48 JediPunisher

Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 12:40:
I never paid any attention to DR3 because it was a console exclusive. Was it the same as DR2?

Dead Rising 3 is an open-world zombie brawler with herds in the hundreds on screen at once, all trying to take a bite out of you...
As Brumbek said, DR3 is basically Saints Row with Zombies, dildos included.

I was not a big fan of the first two games, and never finished them, but Dead Rising 3 kept me hooked until the end.
On a five star scale, I'd give DR1 2.5, DR2 3, and DR3 4 stars.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed; Batmobile Trailer
11. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed; Batmobile Trailer Jun 4, 2014, 17:38 JediPunisher

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 05:10:
Bit premature, perhaps. I don't think they've even shown any gameplay footage yet.

Yes, but I have no doubt it'll be good. Arkham Knight is being developed by Rocksteady, who helmed the first two games, which were great.
Besides, I had a $20 BB credit that was expiring.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed; Batmobile Trailer
9. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed; Batmobile Trailer Jun 3, 2014, 15:47 JediPunisher

Damn! I just preordered this thing yesterday! Urk  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
36. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 14:38 JediPunisher

If I remember correctly, the first game was a competent shooter with a short but memorable SP campaign and good MP hampered by server problems.
I'm sure I'll end up buying the sequel... I just hope it's longer and those server problems are fixed.

270 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo