Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Glas

Real Name Glas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xenos Overdrive
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 17, 2002, 20:10
Total Comments 467 (Amateur)
User ID 13424

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Rainbow Six Lockdown PC Delay
6. Re: Consoles are schwag Feb 10, 2005, 05:06 Xenos Overdrive

Sad to see R6 franchise going down the drain. After what happened to Raven shield, I imagine that most gamers on the PC side will skip this & go for Swat4.

Yeah...I still think deviating away from the original R6 formula was a mistake. You don't necessarily need to see a weapon in front of you to know it's there. At first I didn't like it, but it got to be "Wow, I didn't realize how much the weapon was in the way before!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. No subject Feb 8, 2005, 03:31 Xenos Overdrive

The newest generation of plasma televisions are supposedly better in terms of construction and technology than what was released in the last two years. I would say the first of the LCD and plasma's TV's released a few years back are going to start dying off around now, but it's hard to say what the lifespan of the latest will turn out to be.
Then again, a Sony flat pannel I bought in Sendai, Japan had a distinctive "Life expectancy is 10 years!" on it, so that's kind of hopeful.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2005, 16:40 Xenos Overdrive

That still doesn't make the PS2 a supercomputer.

Never quite said that it did. Still the point is that Sony's hype machine is grandiose and works fairly well. They sold a shit load of PS2s.

News Comments > Far Cry Patch
85. Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 7, 2005, 16:12 Xenos Overdrive

Clear and Present Danger is a cool story (Ding Chavez Mother fuckers) but that doesn't mean it is particularly well written or possessing any literary merit.

Sorry I read this and had to respond.

Not well written? No literary merit? Who are you to decide what has literary merit and what doesn't? Have you actually read a Clancy book? Maybe you have. But, his particular realm of writing tends to reside within the genre aply known as the technothriller. Tom Clancy has a vast knowledge of the US military and the US intelligence agencies, that's where his key to success lies. That and he also weaves together a fancible storyline (I'll give you that one) with characters who are rather believable and their circumstances are based in reality.

Also take a college level english course and then come back and tell me that Michael Crichton is anything more than the EA of the book world.

Aside from graduating college with a minor in English, a person shouldn't need to take a college level class to tell themselves what they like to read. Granted, you tend to be more exposed to the "classics" in those classes, but like I've said before, what a person likes to read isn't necessarily trash on your account.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 16:17.

News Comments > Far Cry Patch
84. Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 7, 2005, 16:06 Xenos Overdrive

Bottom line: someone like Tom Clancy or John Grisham produces pulp, like you said, and it may be popular, it may be enjoyable and it may sell millions but that doesn't make it good writing or good literature. Look at how we on the bluesnews boards respond to your average EA game: we deride it as being something for the mass market, that stupid console kiddies lap up, something that has whizbang production values but is ultimately poorly designed. Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, etc. are the EA of the book world. They (EA and the above authors) produce mass market shit, that is well marketed.

People deride EA because it's the popular thing to do on these boards. Yeah, they produce a lot of crap, but they also put out a lot decent games. Which...arguably, a lot of people wouldn't buy and reviewer's wouldn't praise if there wasn't anything of worth.

People buy it not because it is especially good but because they simply arn't in to the medium enough to appreciate the mediums better offerings.

What consitutes a great storyline in my oppinion will not necessarily do so in yours. That's human nature, dude. It's pure close mindedness to assume that a person buys a Clancy or Ludlum novel simply because there is "better" material out there. If the reader enjoys the storyline, that's all that matters.

I'm not particularly well read but I know enough about literature not to waste my time with someone like Clancy, just like how I know enough about video games not to waste my time with the next EA Bond game or the next EA LotR game.

Sounds like to me you don't read much at all. I'm not in any means defending Clancy or the contrived comparison to EA, but you might want to break out that evil Clancy book to really see if your oppinion still holds (because throwing out a rebellious oppinion for the sake of deference is rather dumb).

To go back to the film example of Collateral, it got pretty much universal critical acclaim despite the fact that it's plot was "Taxi Driver drives assasin around LA". The plot never develops past that other than that the hits get linked back to a character that is present at the very beginning of the film. The reason why Collateral is acclaimed as a good story because the characters are believable and Mann takes the time to really develop the world to the point that you don't need to suspend your disbelief, your simply lost in the lives of the people on screen.

Yeah, you actually hit a pretty damn good point there. The characters were believable. That's what often makes or breaks the best writers, in film or literature. Jamie Foxx is hardly the world's best actor outside of comedy (even then he's overrated, IMHO) but he did an exception job acting alongside the likes of Tom Cruise.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. Re: Ads Feb 7, 2005, 15:40 Xenos Overdrive

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a better show than the Sopranos. Stop wasting your time on Italian-American sterotypes.

Hell yeah! There was even a reference to Buffy in the first Max Payne game, so we all know that show is better!!

^_^

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2005, 15:32 Xenos Overdrive

Sony's supercomputer on a chip... yeah right. they hyped the same thing about the chip inside the PS2.

Yeah...and the result being the PS2 was the most impressive and best selling console when it was released.

News Comments > Army Threatens Punks
104. Re: This you need to explain to me Jan 13, 2005, 23:38 Xenos Overdrive

You can't enlist in the Army with a GED...

Generally you can't just walk right on it and enlist with a GED like someone with an HS diploma, but like most things in any branch of the Army, it's waiverable.

79. Re: Meh Jan 13, 2005, 07:54 Xenos Overdrive

Which is exactly how words get into the dictionary.

Or through plain overexhuberance...

62. Re: a year ago today Jan 13, 2005, 07:42 Xenos Overdrive

Could three full grown blokes fit in a Camaro for a 500 mile journey? I have no idea what a Camaro is like, we don't get that sort of thing in the UK. We just fancy the idea of a convertible car in the desert. Sunburn city.

Sheeeeiiitttt, you could easily fit a fourth bloke in that car.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
2. No subject Jan 13, 2005, 07:38 Xenos Overdrive

ALFA's kinda looking cool lately....kind of cool to see something other than a game based off US special operations teams. An SAS or German GSG based game would be kind of cool...maybe they already exist in Europe?

56. Re: No subject Jan 13, 2005, 07:04 Xenos Overdrive

LOL! The ignorance of you and others in this thread who misunderstood the analogy used by the AA developer in his post is truly laughable. Making that historical reference is no "cheap shot" at Japan.

Nah, it's definitely not a cheap shot, but it's was definitely a stupid comment nonetheless....

Ah, who knows who wrote it? Some dude who doesn't get outside his computer lab enough during the day to start making crack-ass historical analogies, most likely.

55. Re: No subject Jan 13, 2005, 07:00 Xenos Overdrive

#52 Wow...someone's taken a little too much cronic...hooweee

News Comments > DOOM 3 Movie Update
33. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2004, 05:12 Xenos Overdrive

the doom books were cool

They were alright. I thought the story that took place on Mars then on Earth was pretty damn decent, what with the descriptions and the atmosphere, but I thought the rest of the storyline took a major dive after that.

News Comments > No DOOM 3 Tech for DNF
49. Re: Dialogue Sep 11, 2004, 05:03 Xenos Overdrive

I really don't know what people are bitching about here...I mean, yes, I think the game should have been out a long time ago and 3d Realms is taking a rediculous amount of time producing a title that, quite frankly, is going to chug hard balls to produce anything that the company can truly claim as original...but on the one hand, it's just a game. If they spend x amount of millions producing a killer game, then we'll shout praise and all the other BS about how the eon long wait was worth it. If they produce a steaming pile of crap, then all the flamers who regularly post here will be able to carry on as if Daikatana was being released again.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Requirements
164. Re: Ultima Underworld 3 and System Shock 3 Jul 26, 2004, 10:06 Xenos Overdrive

As great as the System Shock games were, I think the series should be put to rest. I mean, it seems we're in that little era where older games are being remade with older technology. It's great and all, but coming up with newer and (frankly) fresher franchises would go farther to renewing the PC gaming industry.

Although, the current greats of DooM 3 and Wolf 3d being remade are pretty damn cool.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Release dates Jul 10, 2004, 11:48 Xenos Overdrive

Given that id isn't exactly defusing the rumors themselves, I'd say there's a pretty chance we may see DooM 3 by August. At least 3d Realms makes the effort to say that Duke Nukem Forever will never ship.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Beta Plans
23. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2004, 02:18 Xenos Overdrive

Septic Shock blows ass. She can't play worth shitte. Sephiroph, or whatever the hell your handle is suppose to be, go blow yourself.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2004, 02:02 Xenos Overdrive

Given the size of Los Angeles, I'm more than sure you can find more than one or two if you give it a chance.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2004, 15:28 Xenos Overdrive

Yeah, I did a little research into it. China's military is massive, but poorly trained. They're called the world largest military museum. So I can see where the scenario can come about.

467 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo