Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2681 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 23, 2014, 18:55 Scottish Martial Arts

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 18:51:
Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 18:43:
Well said, Tom. You'd think this would be common sense in game-design 101. Does anyone really buy a game because some actor is voicing a character?

I thought the same until some people round here made the stink about
Garret.

But same with movies, spread the money around. Don't care about voices on cartoons as long as they are good.

I seriously doubt Stephen Russell costs as much as John Cleese or Patrick Stewart. The issue with Garret is that so much of his character is bound up in Russell's voice -- get rid of Russell and it's no longer the same Garrett. But Uriel Septim VII? The voice is irrelevant to the character and could just as effectively be voiced by a low-cost, but talented, professional voice actor as by Patrick Stewart.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2014, 01:19 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:48:
I'll never understand these people who feel the need to do this stuff in other countries when people here can't afford help. Clean up your own backyard first, then you help the neighbors.

And I had to laugh at the Linux-powered rifles as it made me think of a soldier trying to use a rifle in the heat of battle and getting a Windows BSOD. Thanks but just give me a mechanical rifle and scope. I wouldn't want to trust my life to any software.

The technology as described sounds VERY useful actually. Keep in mind that with military hardware, equipment is designed to keep working, at degraded functionality, when the advanced technology fails or is damaged. Tanks, for example, have laser range finders, ballistic computers, and gyrostabilizers which dramatically increase the effectiveness of the main gun, but should any one component fail, the others keep working, albeit less well. So if the laser rangefinder fails, the gunner can estimate the range visually, input that range into the ballistic computer and get a firing solution which would still be better than if he was just eyeballing it. If everything fails, the gunner can fall back on traditional gunnery skills like it was WWII: it's not like he can't shoot if the computer crashes -- he just can't shoot as well.

It will likely be the same with this rifle, which sounds as though it has a suite of sensors, ballistic computers, and datalinks, which allow an equipped squad to identify targets, tag them, share them between the squad, and then get a firing solution if cleared to engage. That's useful tech, and if the tech fails -- if it's like any other military weapons system -- you can still use it the old fashioned way.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 18:27 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 16:29:
Mash, what do you mean by desktop mode? So it's a full on OS. I can use Open Office with it and other business apps to do actual work on? Valve really needs to make this well known if they expect people to even want to try it. What's are the pros and cons? Why would I want to use this over another OS? And if I can install it on a PC then why would I buy a Steambox?

I dunno, man. I know Gabe's a smart guy but this just doesn't seem like they've thought it through. While I'm probably very wrong on this one I just can't see this - the box or OS - taking off.

It's a custom distro of Debian Linux. This was announced several months ago, and all the "first look" coverage of SteamOS has been very clear on this point. If you can do it on Debian, you can do it on SteamOS; the only real difference is that SteamOS is configured out of the box to be a platform for Steam Big Screen mode and for the host PC to be hooked up to a TV.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2014, 17:10 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm still butthurt that you never actually command the Normandy in a Star Trek like naval battle. When I played the first ME, all the naval trappings and the travels around the universe in the Normandy had convinced me that the climax of the game would be captaining the Normandy through a naval engagement, much like how in NWN2, you build up Crossroads Keep in order to defend it in a siege. I never understood why Bioware didn't do more with the naval aspect of the universe they had built: the Navy is cool, so why not play that to the hilt and make the first Naval RPG, albeit sci-fi Navy? Whatever, Bioware's a bunch of hacks anyway, so it's foolish to expect anything more than ancient evils awakening from slumber, NPCs with daddy issues, and hackneyed and awkward attempts at making "real commentary on social issues." I still laugh when I think about dgaider claiming that at Bioware they're really about telling the story of the human condition... through adolescent wish fulfillment fantasy that plays like it was written by a 13 year old.  

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 22:34 Scottish Martial Arts

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 21:34:
So what am I supposed to do? Every time I'm critical of liberals I have to add that I also support gay marriage and the legalization of pot? It's ridiculous.

The NYT is a liberal establishment. This is fact. I used their own words to back it up and you and others attack me because I didn't add those caveats making sure I'm not some Fox News obsessed right winger so it must not be true, right? You have been so completely manipulated it's hysterical how easily I can predict everything you're going to say.

I attacked you because you made a dumb ass one-liner in a vain attempt to show wit. If you throw a stinkbomb, you don't get to complain when people call you an asshole.

Are most NYT journalists more liberal than your average Red State Republican? Yes, that is beyond dispute. Yet, so is any other journalist, for the most part, because it comes with the profession. Furthermore, just because someone is politically liberal doesn't mean their journalism is inherently biased -- the studies on media bias show that the overwhelming majority of mainstream media outlets have a balanced number of ideological sources, i.e. you hear the perspective of rightwing assholes and leftwing assholes in equal numbers, to include that liberal rag from New York. Are NYT editorials stridently liberal? Absolutely, yet their actual reporting conforms to mainstream media norms of unbiased journalism, and their broader opinion page has a pretty strong diversity of real reasoned opinion from all ideological bents. So should we always read our information critically, particularly when there is the possibility of bias? Yes. Is the NYT so biased as to justify being dismissed out of hand? Absolutely not and anyone who suggests so, to include yourself, is a buffoon.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 21:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:15:
I don't get how you still think I'm a right winger when multiple times on this site I said I'm not a registered Republican or a member of the Tea Party and have proven to be equally critical of previous administrations over the years.

Because you mouth right wing rhetoric as if it is the the soul of wit and then in a follow up post you complain that the Republican party isn't conservative enough? You may be neither a Republican or active Tea Party member, but the ideas you argue for are certainly right wing.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 19:53 Scottish Martial Arts

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 19:14:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 19:01:
Get over yourself, teabagger.

Stopped reading after you showed your hand as yet another internet puppet. One day (when you are a grown up) you'll realize how wrong you were in your youth as a liberal student regurgitating the same nonsense and lies.

Here, I have a present for you. It's the right color. See if it fits.

One, I'm not a student -- finished that quite a while ago now -- and if you read my post history on this site which goes back to 2002, you'll discover that when I WAS a student I tended to be quite conservative. Regardless, my general perspective of the world is generally colored by themes which are associated with the right -- I would describe my outlook on politics as basically a sort of Thucydidean tragic realism. People change over time as they acquire new experiences, and their ideas change with them. Frankly, as time has gone one, the Republican Party, of which I amazingly am still a registered member, has shown its philosophy of government to be completely counter to the democratic ideals which animate my own politics, and furthermore their policy ideas are no longer animated by sober realism, as it was in the Republican party of my parent's generation, but by ideological fantasy which ignores all empirical experience.

And if I was rude, then tough shit. That's the attitude right wingers seem to like these days -- "Don't like what I say? Too fucking bad." -- except when it gets directed towards them, at which point they turn into self-made martyr pussies -- "Oh my god, the violation of my freedom of speech (nevermind that no legal action is being taken against me for my words)!"

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 19:01 Scottish Martial Arts

Get over yourself, teabagger. There is a big difference between acknowledging bias and reading critically, and dismissing a source out of hand because of said bias and living in blissful ignorance. If bias, however small, is enough to ignore something, shouldn't we all just ignore you? After all, both of your comments in this thread suggest you've definitely got the right-wing blinders on.

The simple reality is that certain professions attract certain mindsets of people -- for example, if you believe that poor people are scum and moochers, and deserve their misery, then you probably aren't going to go into social work -- and, lo and behold, journalism tends to attract people who are more liberal. Yet, American journalism has as it's central professional ethical tenet balanced, non-prejudicial reporting. To be honest, journalists pursue this ethic almost to a fault, resorting to "Democrats say such and such, yet Republicans counter with..." presenting both sides as having equal merit even when "one side of the story" clearly doesn't have a factual leg to stand on. Nevertheless, this is how reporting is done in America, and as a result, bias really isn't the issue most partisan hacks think it is. The best objective way to measure bias is by the balance of sources cited -- if a journalist always cites liberal sources, then he is biased, and vice-versa -- and on that count, the mainstream media does a pretty damn good job of living up to its professional ethic.

If you genuinely think the "lamestream media" is so fucking biased, then it's probably an issue of the world refusing to conform to your own narrative rather than actual biased reporting. For examples, the left is pretty upset about how Obamacare has been reported on, claiming that the rollout has been made to look worse than it has really been, but the simple reality is that the rollout has been a fucking disaster. There are upshots sure, and the law isn't valueless, but anyone that thinks Obamacare looks bad because of bias doesn't have their fucking eyes open.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 14:56 Scottish Martial Arts

Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 10:38:
Who actually reads and takes the NYTimes seriously? Oh yeah, liberals.

A NYT editorial once said something I disagree with, therefore the whole newspaper is just liberal propaganda. I know because Fox told me so!

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 01:12 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 00:38:
I don't understand the writer's contention. Does he want an adventure game or a shooter? Or has this guy never played the originals, or games like Half-Life? What exactly does he want? Sometimes I want story and depth. Other times I just want to blow some shit up.

His contention seems to be that game design and writing need to be coherent. Yes, previous *Shock games were shooters. Yes, previous *Shock games had a premise which cohered with shooter gameplay. Infinite, while a *Shock game, does not have a premise or plot which coheres with its basic gameplay design.

It's as if they got so wrapped up in designing Columbia, Elizabeth, and the alternate universes tripe, that they forgot that *Shock games involve killing grotesque baddies, scavenging their stuff to improve your character's capabilities, and exploring a defined space, and then found themselves having to shoehorn such gameplay into a gameworld where it no longer makes sense. Why does Booker dig around in the trash cans of Columbia for candy bars to refill his health? That makes sense on Rapture or the Von Braun, where the place has been ransacked, is crawling with nasty creatures, and you need every resource to survive, but in Columbia, where for much of the game the city is fine and dandy, and where there's never really a sense of you being trapped alone in a very bad place, why would you scavenge for crap aside from shooter-standard picking up the fallen bad guy's ammo? The answer is that you wouldn't, yet because this game is called Bioshock, I guess Irrational felt compelled to keep scavenging as a major gameplay element even though it made no sense in context.

Unfortunately that's kind of the story of Infinite's gameplay: it may be Bioshock standard gameplay but it doesn't feel right in the context of Columbia. The game is most interesting, albeit most scripted, when you AREN'T in a hostile environment and the game is presenting a situation in which you and Elizabeth haven't been marked as being out of the ordinary by all the people milling about, yet there is a possibility that you could be. Rather than just having these scripted scenarios which are mostly just extended exploration sequences and cutscenes, why not try to build gameplay around the notion of being a fugitive? That is, you're both trying to escape Columbia and there are people trying to stop you, yet unless you do something suspicious no one realizes that you're a fugitive. This seems like fertile ground for some sort of stealth/adventure game in which you try to maintain your cover and get closer to escape, while simultaneously being forced into situations in which getting closer to escape means risking blowing your cover. Such a gameplay design fits with the world and story they created where *Shock style shooting doesn't. Yet because this is a AAA video game, and since such coherent craftsmanship is seemingly impossible in such a medium, we get standard shooter gameplay, I guess because all AAA games are standard shooters and be damned if we do something different because it fits the world better than first person shooting.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2013, 16:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 15:56:
Kosumo wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 15:33:
I enjoyed Bioshock infinite very much, I thought the violence was important to the theme of the game's narrative.

'It's always the same, one man, one girl'

Agreed. I think if you are of the opinion that the violence was overdone that you missed a large part of the overall theme.

And what is said theme? SPOILER ALERT!!!! That war will give you PTSD and that PTSD will make you do things you regret? And that through the miracle of dimensional travel alternate versions of you will handle said regret in different ways? If the theme then is regret, how does the violence further that theme? By making you do more things you come to regret? But that's not how the game's story handles the violence -- there's no real consequence for said violence except for Elizabeth briefly being horrified the first time you kill someone in front of her, but then the whole issue is dropped. And don't get me started on Elizabeth: how exactly does a girl kept isolated and experimented upon inside a big statue for her entire life end up being beautiful, sociable, well-adjusted and all-around likeable, EXCEPT by having a bad writer wave away the whole issue because he needs a sympathetic sidekick that his virginal audience will lust after? Oh I guess because she read about Paris and dreamed of visiting, all that psychological and social trauma has no effect. /rollseyes

I think it's kind of reasonable to assume that you're shooting everything and there's so much combat simply because a video game with no gameplay becomes pretty damn boring pretty damn quickly.

Because we all know that first person shooting is the only kind of gameplay ever invented ever.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
29. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 25, 2013, 20:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Overon wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 20:00:
Beamer wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 19:36:
Wasn't someone arguing with me during the SimCity debacle that steam.never has unplanned downtime?

contrary to what some here say, building capacity to fluke peaks is idiotic.
Yeah it may be idiotic if you build capacity permanently but it's not idiotic if it's only temporary capacity.

I'm not a network administrator, but I would have to think that given that this happens EVERY time, regardless of organization (Valve, GOG, Blizzard, Obamacare, etc.), temporarily increasing capacity may not be as easy/economical as we are inclined to assume. When the servers are down on sale day, they are losing sales, big time, so it would behoove them to increase capacity, UNLESS it would cost more to increase capacity than they would make in the sales that they lose. Anyone here work in server operations/network administration? How easy/hard and cheap/expensive is it to increase capacity for peak usage periods?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 22, 2013, 11:33 Scottish Martial Arts

harlock wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 02:16:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 14:17:
I had given some thought to moving up to SF but it's around $1600 for a studio. Correction: $1600 for a small studio. If you're willing to live in the Tenderloin, i.e. the ghetto, you can get one for $1300 or so. I can see why longtime city residents who AREN'T white-collar professionals are feeling like their city is being taken away from them.

oakland baby

Nah, gonna be LA for me. More work at better pay, plus I have a lot of friends down there. Have my eye on a 500 sqft Koreatown studio for $850/mo -- quite a bit more affordable than SF lol.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 21, 2013, 14:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 13:57:
Foolish protesters. According to people like Verno they deserve to be homeless and live in abject poverty and misery. Yay for social Darwinism! To hell with everyone and everything else!

I had given some thought to moving up to SF but it's around $1600 for a studio. Correction: $1600 for a small studio. If you're willing to live in the Tenderloin, i.e. the ghetto, you can get one for $1300 or so. I can see why longtime city residents who AREN'T white-collar professionals are feeling like their city is being taken away from them.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Support
12. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 12:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 20, 2013, 11:23:
Flight sims (space or air) are one of the places that VR headsets -really- shine. Going all the way back to the Virtuality Arcade in the early 90s, even as crappy as their resolution and response was, the ability to track the enemy just by looking around made it a whole new game.

I've long felt that TrackIR, or something similar, is as essential to flight sims as a joystick: it really does make for an entirely different, and proportionately better, experience. Can't wait to give the Oculus a try at some point.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March
13. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls in March Dec 19, 2013, 22:35 Scottish Martial Arts

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:32:
My decision to buy or not buy will depend on more clarification of exactly what new features will or will not be a part of the free patch versus what requires purchasing the expansion. To be fair, though, we already know that it's a good deal more than just "one class and one act" for that $40.

If the PTR is accurate, then the new loot system and balancing are primarily what you get if you don't upgrade. Adventure mode, loot runs, the new act, the new class, the new crafter, and all of that are exclusive to the expansion. The new loot system is great though: when something drops it's a source of excitement rather than a drudge.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Closed Beta
23. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Closed Beta Dec 14, 2013, 15:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Theo wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 06:04:
I was going to explain about the paragon thing, but was beat when i got home from work lastnight. out of interest what the deal with paragon for none beta players on PTR? are you dudes getting to use it with a max level of 60 or not?

I havent been on the normal PTR server like ever really, i just get invites to the beta's early has i have a mate who works at bliz and is a kind dude who knows i love diablo

I haven't unlocked it yet, because I didn't transfer my existing characters over to the PTR. Leveling IS much faster now (playing on the third difficulty) so it probably won't take that long to get to 60 at this rate. I can look at all the Paragon leveling menus though, and it pretty clearly allows for full customization of a characters stats, although I haven't gotten to play with it yet.

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam "Any Day Now"
8. Re: Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam Dec 14, 2013, 14:59 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 12:42:
"Revengeance"... a word that could only come out of Japan.

I dunno, I've never played any of the MSG games. They look really consoly to me. What's the appear here?

It's a social experiment on Kojima's part to see just how utterly batshit ridiculous his games can be and still have his fans take it all seriously.

I only played Metal Gear Solid 1 and part of MGS2. Both were pretty good games, but I always found the super serious, secret agent saving the world stuff to be a jarring mismatch with the anime inspired craziness.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Closed Beta
21. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Closed Beta Dec 14, 2013, 01:25 Scottish Martial Arts

InBlack wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 09:27:
Kind of missed my point, which is my fault. My point was that once you get to 60 all the skills are there, there is 0 customization thanks to the very (un)inspired loot and 0 skill trees. Getting better 'iterations' of the best rare is tedious and pointless and the Paragon levels are a laugh. Dont get me started on the PvP....there is simply no reason to 'grind' for better gear.

Apparently you didn't read the part about the new Paragon system, which is all player customization: putting points into 16 different stats.

I played the PTR for a bit today, getting about half way through Act I. This is still Diablo 3, but itemization seems vastly improved. Drop rates are much, much lower -- this is purely guess work on my part but I'd guess drops are down 75-80% -- but the drops you do get are very like to be something usable. If your primary stat is int, for example, then 4 out of 5 times you're going to get an int based item. Likewise, gold seems to come less frequently but in larger quantities, i.e. you find a big stash every 5 minutes rather than getting a steady drip of small amounts, although gold still does exist in small amount.

Based upon what I'm seeing in the PTR, no one who hates Diablo 3 will change their mind, but those who thought it was a somewhat enjoyable mixed bag will probably enjoy it more.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 13, 2013, 22:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 21:48:
So how exactly are you, as the viewer going to figure that out?

Granted there are legal tube sites, owned by production companies themselves, but again the difference is readily apparent.

That's not a legal argument. Sorry. If the porn publisher sees their work illegally on a tube site, they have to issue a DMCA takedown notice. Porn tubesites don't somehow have a different legal requirement than Youtube does.

The point is that if you think porn is free then you're retarded. I pirate a fair amount of stuff, so I'm not going to judge in that regard, and sure if I got hit with a fine or lawsuit, I'd work with an attorney to minimize the damage in any way possible, to include feigning ignorance, but that doesn't mean there's any confusion about whether what I'm downloading is or is not illegal. To say "well how was I supposed to know all this free, full-length porn is on this site illegally?" may hold up as a legal defense, but anyone with two braincells to rub together knows that tube sites which don't have the stuff I mentioned, like 2257 Reporting Compliance statements, at best only have a small amount of legal, legitimate content.

As for issuing DMCA takedown notices, the problem there is that porn has a very short half-life. Fans watch a scene, jerk off to it once or twice, and then it's on to the next thing. By the time you've identified a tubing site that has uploaded your content and issued the DMCA takedown notice, the fans have already seen it and are ready for the next scene that performer is in. You may get the content taken down, but the cost of doing so exceeds what you would make from once again being the only place selling said content (everyone's already seen it, so why buy it?).

2681 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo