Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2695 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview
16. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 5, 2009, 00:09 Scottish Martial Arts

I can't think of another online multiplayer game that had a sequel announced less than a year after the first, can you?

Call of Duty? Not an identical situation, granted, but similar. Activision releases a new, and slim on content, Call of Duty every year, and yet not many people get up in arms about it.

I guess I'm just so used to getting screwed by the gaming industry that it doesn't shock me much anymore. I expect more from Valve, and desperately hope this is just a one-time thing, and am encouraged that Gabe initially said that this goes against the values of the company, but nevertheless this situation seems pretty much par for the course.

I am one of the people that really, really enjoyed L4D tho, so maybe I'm biased.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview
12. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 4, 2009, 23:44 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt on this, but I still don't like it. Chet's arguments all make sense and are reasonable. Let's be honest here -- were this any other developer/publisher no one would bat an eye. That said, Valve better not make a habit of this, and they better give L4D2 the kind of support TF2 gets, or else they really will burn through the credibility that they have garnered over the years. Ordinarily, Valve seems to "get" it, but in this case they're treading on some pretty thin ice. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come, because they really are the only PC developer left besides Blizzard.  

News Comments > Fallout 3: Point Look on June 23
7. Re: Fallout 3: Point Look on June 23 Jun 3, 2009, 15:08 Scottish Martial Arts

I just think "Leveling" in RPG's needs to go away completely and just give you skills.

That says more about Bethesda's inability to balance for shit than it does about levels. Jesus, "RPGs" like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are already nearly indistinguishable from first person shooters. No need to remove one of the few remaining play mechanics from the genre.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer
34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 00:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Mass Effect 1 wasn't terribly good to begin with, so I can't say my expectations are very high for the sequel. I think the only part I really enjoyed was the credit music. I think I'm just burned out on gaming. It used to be that individual games were unique, and different genres offered radically different experiences. Now, with games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3, the only difference between a shooter and an RPG is dialogue and an inventory. The creative spark of the gaming industry is just gone; games look the same, play the same, and tell the same stories -- I'm looking at you, Bioware, who has yet to find a plot or character you couldn't recycle. I never thought this would happen, but I really don't like video games that much anymore.  

News Comments > PC F.E.A.R. 2 Map Pack Later
4. Re: PC F.E.A.R. 2 Map Pack Later May 14, 2009, 23:19 Scottish Martial Arts

Seeing as this DLC is multiplayer only, they shouldn't even bother releasing it for PC. Without dedicated servers, F.E.A.R. 2 PC multiplayer has died faster than any other shooter I've played.  

News Comments > EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games
4. Re: EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games May 5, 2009, 02:06 Scottish Martial Arts

..And wtf do you want them to do with Dantes Inferno?

How about not using the poem to begin with? There is something just wrong about taking what is quite possibly the single greatest literary work to emerge from the Middle Ages and turning it into a kill-a-second action game for mouth-breathing 14 year old boys. It's just in extraordinarily poor taste and I honestly can't fathom how anyone with any integrity could take it seriously.

If they really wanted to use the poem for a game without demeaning their source material, they might have made a fine graphic adventure game out of it. But obviously that's not chic and mainstream and guaranteed to sell a million copies so that the art department budget can be covered and the company can post a quarterly profit so that the shareholders will be pleased. Instead, let's just have Lucifer with his minions Brutus and Judas as the epic end boss at the end of level 9.

God I hate the fucking video game industry. And to think the decade started out so promisingly with games like Deus Ex, Thief 2, and Planescape: Torment. At least Valve is still putting out some decent, if straightforward, games...

News Comments > EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games
2. Re: EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games May 5, 2009, 01:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Yeah, but they're turning The Divine Comedy into a God of War clone, for god's sake! Video games are a reeaaalll art form aren't they...  

News Comments > Thief 4 Reveal Next Week?
3. Re: Thief 4 Reveal Next Week? May 4, 2009, 17:12 Scottish Martial Arts

Hooray more classic franchise rape!

I loved Thief 1 and 2, and even really liked the third one, but I just can't get excited about this. A multiplatform game with consoles as the lead SKU developed by a team that has no experience with the franchise? Somehow that's just not doing much for me.

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 1943
12. Re: On PC Battlefield 1943 Apr 26, 2009, 15:55 Scottish Martial Arts

apparently valve and stardock are the only publishers that take the pc market seriously anymore.

And Blizzard. But otherwise yeah, all we can hope for the PC these days is sloppy ports of console games that aren't that great to begin with.

News Comments > BioWare on Storytelling
4. Re: BioWare on Storytelling Apr 22, 2009, 18:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Don't forget how Bioware just recycles their characters from game to game.  

News Comments > GOG.com's Fallout Week
8. Re: GOG.com's Fallout Week Apr 22, 2009, 03:22 Scottish Martial Arts

I was going to play it for the story, but here it's non-cannon anyway.

The story was decent enough as I recall but on the other hand it has been at least 5 years since I played it last.

News Comments > GOG.com's Fallout Week
7. Re: GOG.com's Fallout Week Apr 22, 2009, 03:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Is Fallout Tactics worth getting? I'd heard that Tactics wasn't that great, but the reviews on GoG make it sound like it might be worth getting.

It's worth a playthrough, especially at that price. Weaknesses: poor writing, infantile humor, and a generally "different" take on the fallout setting (kinda sounds like Fallout 3, huh?). Strength: great tactical combat as long as you ignore the Continuous-Turn-Based Mode, outstanding sound effects (you can almost feel the impact of the rounds as supermutant tears up one of your squadmembers with a .50 machine gun), excellent 2D graphics, art and animation, and a good variety of missions that make up a fairly lengthy game.

All in all, it's a pretty solid squad tactical game, but only tangentially related to Fallout 1 and 2.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Revealed
37. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Revealed Apr 20, 2009, 20:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Hmm, interesting, very interesting. Obsidian's only great game so far has been Mask of the Betrayer -- the others have been merely flawed but good. Nevertheless I vastly prefer their old-school style cRPGs to what Bethesda does. I guess there are 4 devs who worked on the originals working at Obsidian today, so that's a little bit of encouragement I guess. I just hope development has been going on for sometime now, and that Obsidian doesn't only have a year to get this done: they simply are not good at scheduling and working within short development cycles. Anyway, I really dislike Beth's approach to Fallout 3, but if Obsidian's take is more in line with the originals gameplay-wise then I'm willing to forgive a lot.

Chris Jones (1&2)
Feargus Urquhart (2, credited for first game as a division director)
Chris Avellone (2)
Scott Everts (1&2)

News Comments > Barca B.C. Revealed
6. Re: Barca B.C. Revealed Mar 13, 2009, 16:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Wasn't he shopping around the script for a movie about Hannibal, Fabius Maximus, Spipio Africanus, and the whole Second Punic War a few years ago? I kinda remember him talking about it on Conan O'Brien. I think his plan was to film the thing entirely in Latin, ancient Greek, and Phoenician, like Passion of the Christ. He recited some Latin on the show, which sounded insanely cool. Latin is definitely a language that works best with a deep, baratone voice.  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 DLC Next Month
2. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 DLC Next Month Mar 10, 2009, 23:19 Scottish Martial Arts

It sure will be great to "experience multiplayer from a new perspective" in a game that doesn't even have dedicated servers. Wtf, Monolith. Even NOLF2 was released with dedicated servers, and that was a pure coop multiplayer game.  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Feb 26, 2009, 21:34 Scottish Martial Arts

You can turn on all manner of pauses and information to make KOTOR turn-based. You are arguing hairs of difference.

Except that I'm not.

Just because you can set a real-time game to pause every few seconds doesn't mean it's turn-based. When you unpause, everything still unfolds in real-time -- all characters act simultaneously. Imagine a game of chess where both players made their moves at the same time, but took a break every 15 seconds or so. Such a game would be very, very different from traditional turn-based chess.

It's the same deal with KotOR. The d20 system was designed for turn-based, table-top play, and the system translates very poorly to a real-time environment. For example, area effect spells are a bitch to time in KotOR and NWN2 because the enemies are always moving around. Compare this with ToEE, where when it's your mages turn, no one else can take any any actions, allowing you to determine what enemies (and friends!) will be in the range of your fireball, letting you plan accordingly. Read some NWN2 message boards sometime and you'll find that the consensus is that AOE spells are at a huge disadvantage from the PnP equivalent for this very reason.

Real-time with pause usually works well enough for cRPGs, but it most definitely is not a turn-based combat system.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: On the 360 Feb 26, 2009, 16:13 Scottish Martial Arts

It doesn't mean PC gaming is dying and has nothing to do with Microsoft targeting PC gaming or something. PC gaming is quite healthy and alive anyways, stop being such a reactionary and dramatic little girl Rolleyes

Except that, you know, hardly anything PC-exclusive comes out anymore. Take first-person shooters for example, the last PC-exclusive was Crysis, from over a year ago, everything else is multiplatform. Some companies, like Valve, are able to do multiplatform well without shortchanging the PC experience one bit. Most, like Monolith or Epic, are clearly just porting dumbed-down 360 titles to the PC.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Feb 26, 2009, 16:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Huh? not remotely -- not sure how to begin replying to that.

They were both real-time with pause combat systems based upon d20 rules.

You can hit the space bar in KOTOR and direct ALL of the party characters (as with Baldur's Gate) and you can also choose to have the action stop at the end of every turn, and with messages telling you all of this info. It is genuinely turn-based at that point.

Uh, no it's not. Real-time with pause does not equal turn-based. Play some Jagged Alliance 2, and then come back and say that KotOR is turned base.

The only difference between KotOR and NWN combat is party member control. In NWN you didn't really have party members, just a single AI henchmen. By NWN2 however, you did have full party member control, and therefore had an identical combat system to KotOR.

Honestly, I cannot understand how anyone would praise the KotOR, or NWN for that matter, combat system. It was dead easy and required absolutely no tactical thinking. Party members were awkward to control and often would ignore your orders to follow their AI. KotOR was a fun enough game, but it was hardly the pinnacle of cRPG design.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2009, 16:03.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Feb 17, 2009, 14:03 Scottish Martial Arts

The biggest problem with FEAR 2 is the lack of dedicated server files for multiplayer. Right now, you're entirely dependent upon crappy listen servers, which is too bad because multiplayer is actually pretty fun. Overall, I really like the game even if it isn't really an improvement on the first, but unfortunately it's wrapped up in one of the worst port jobs I've ever purchased. The interface is an absolute mess -- you have to wade through 6 sub menus to get from the main menu to where you can actually join a (listen) server. Meh, hopefully they'll fix it, because I think there is actually a pretty good game buried under all the console rubble.  

News Comments > On Fallout 3
34. Re: On Fallout 3 Jan 27, 2009, 11:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Stories are about people...

You lost me at that statement.

Care to mention a story that doesn't have characters?

2695 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo