Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2707 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
5. Re: Evening Screenshots Jun 30, 2009, 22:13 Scottish Martial Arts

There are comments from a developer starting on page 2 of the thread if anyone is interested.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
20. Re: Fallout 3 Patches Jun 23, 2009, 17:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Right away I had a decision to make, one that would have repricussions. Nuke the town or save the town? Which did I want to do more? Which would be more fun? Which would benefit me more? What would I be unable to do because I chose one over the other?

You've got to be kidding me. Nuking or saving the town has no consequences except for changing your karma meter, something that can be easily compensated for by either stealing random items or donating to churches. Whether you nuke the town or not, you don't miss out on any quests, you don't close off any paths through the game, all that changes is whether or not you get an apartment in Ten Penny Towers or Megaton. The only important NPC in Megaton, Moira, survives and just moves to Underworld.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 19, 2009, 15:16 Scottish Martial Arts

This trend has held true in past, but over the last few years it has started to fall apart. Why? Publishers are no longer devoting the resources to making PC games that push the envelope. Everything is multiplatform now, which means PC games are being limited by what consoles are capable of.

Honestly though, I think the industry has painted itself into a corner by trying to push graphics over all else. Graphics are such a small component of a good game. For example, I'm replaying Mechwarrior 3 right now and having a total blast with one of the greatest action games ever made, even if this is the 5th or 6th time I've played it through. The fact that the graphics are a decade old has no bearing on how fun the game is. Contrast this with Unreal Tournament 3 which only held my interest for a few hours. I would gladly go back to 2000-era graphics, if it meant games were designed for gamers and not mouth-breathing frat boys who can take a character like Marcus Fenix seriously.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 17, 2009, 02:01 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm sorry, are you saying that this statement is an example of circular reasoning, or did you mean to say "Raising the obvious question"?

Heh, nice catch. It always amazes how widespread the incorrect usage of this term is.

To beg the question is NOT to make a statement that clearly raises a question. Instead, begging the question is to ask a question or make a statement which reflects back upon itself. This all makes a lot more sense with an example:

"How can you deny that the Bible is divinely inspired when it was written by God himself?"

"This is illegal because its against the law."

In other words, begging the question is just an example of circular reasoning.

News Comments > Obsidian's Unannounced Game
4. Re: Obsidian's Unannounced Game Jun 13, 2009, 17:46 Scottish Martial Arts

My bet would be another NWN2 expansion. Atari hinted at such when MoW was released.  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 Patch & DLC
3. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Patch & DLC Jun 11, 2009, 23:12 Scottish Martial Arts

Harsh.

But necessary.

No server files for a FPS = Monolith lost a fan.

News Comments > MechDuels Launches
13. Re: MechDuels Launches Jun 10, 2009, 00:56 Scottish Martial Arts

For a mech-based game, either give me action ala Mechwarrior 2/3/4 or go back to the drawing board.

You're aware that Mechwarrior is based upon Battletech, which is a tactical turn-based table top game, right?

I'm a huge Mechwarrior fan, and have played through each entry in the series multiple times -- my favorite remains Mechwarrior 3 -- nevertheless, I love a good turn-based game too, and a computer adaptation of Battletech would be incredible.

Video games are cookie-cutter enough as is. Why can't some good turn-based games live alongside all the next-gen console garbage? I would seriously kill for a good turn-based squad game game, or a good space shooter, or a good traditional cRPG, but, oh no, those are obsolete genres and not sufficiently next-gen. Fuck, I hate the gaming industry. Why is it that Jagged Alliance, X-Com, and Final Fantasy Tactics routinely appear on Best Game Ever lists, but at the mention of a new turn-based game everyone starts talking about how outdated turn-based gameplay is?

News Comments > MechDuels Launches
3. Re: MechDuels Launches Jun 9, 2009, 21:35 Scottish Martial Arts

You almost had me there for a second. You should have quit while you were a "head."

Short attention span?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Q&A
5. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Q&A Jun 8, 2009, 23:54 Scottish Martial Arts

I don't know; that last trailer was so action heavy, it was like they were focusing on the blood and gore and swordplay more than anything else.

The whole thing looks insipidly juvenile. Can Bioware hire some real writers, please? A writer who doesn't recycle his characters every game, and doesn't insert an arbitrary twist into every plot he constructs?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2009, 16:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Peer pressure is a powerful force.

Yep, this is it. Are you going to be the one guy who doesn't get off the landing craft, at the critical moment letting down the people you've lived with and trained with for at least several months? No, the fear of that kind of shame far outweighs the fear of death or injury. Human beings have been fighting organized battles at least since the dawn of civilization; it doesn't take an extraordinary person to go into combat. In fact, for much of human history, to be male was to be a warrior, and that meant that you WOULD experience battle during your lifetime, period. Ordinary people landed on the beaches of Normandy, and, with very few exceptions, you could too if you had to.

News Comments > F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin Armored Front Patch
2. Re: F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin Armored Front Patch Jun 5, 2009, 03:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Did they ever patch the mouse control aka not being able to map all buttons?

Nope. The PC version of this was a total afterthought. Not sure what Monolith expects us to do with new maps when the multiplayer game has completely died due to lack of server files.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Interview
25. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 5, 2009, 02:18 Scottish Martial Arts

The Call of Duty games are usually two years apart and google seems to bear me out here.

Only between CoD 1 and CoD 2, but then there was the CoD expansion pack in between. Here's the release schedule:

CoD Fall 2003
CoD Expansion Fall 2004
CoD2 Fall 2005
CoD3 Fall 2006
CoD4:MW Fall 2007
CoD:WaW Fall 2008
CoD:MW2 Fall 2009

So yeah, we've gotten a CoD game for Christmas every year since 2003. Edit: And apparently a CoD7 is in development, so the trend ought to hold at least through 2010.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2009, 02:23.

16. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 5, 2009, 00:09 Scottish Martial Arts

I can't think of another online multiplayer game that had a sequel announced less than a year after the first, can you?

Call of Duty? Not an identical situation, granted, but similar. Activision releases a new, and slim on content, Call of Duty every year, and yet not many people get up in arms about it.

I guess I'm just so used to getting screwed by the gaming industry that it doesn't shock me much anymore. I expect more from Valve, and desperately hope this is just a one-time thing, and am encouraged that Gabe initially said that this goes against the values of the company, but nevertheless this situation seems pretty much par for the course.

I am one of the people that really, really enjoyed L4D tho, so maybe I'm biased.

12. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Interview Jun 4, 2009, 23:44 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt on this, but I still don't like it. Chet's arguments all make sense and are reasonable. Let's be honest here -- were this any other developer/publisher no one would bat an eye. That said, Valve better not make a habit of this, and they better give L4D2 the kind of support TF2 gets, or else they really will burn through the credibility that they have garnered over the years. Ordinarily, Valve seems to "get" it, but in this case they're treading on some pretty thin ice. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come, because they really are the only PC developer left besides Blizzard.  

News Comments > Fallout 3: Point Look on June 23
7. Re: Fallout 3: Point Look on June 23 Jun 3, 2009, 15:08 Scottish Martial Arts

I just think "Leveling" in RPG's needs to go away completely and just give you skills.

That says more about Bethesda's inability to balance for shit than it does about levels. Jesus, "RPGs" like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are already nearly indistinguishable from first person shooters. No need to remove one of the few remaining play mechanics from the genre.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer
34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer May 30, 2009, 00:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Mass Effect 1 wasn't terribly good to begin with, so I can't say my expectations are very high for the sequel. I think the only part I really enjoyed was the credit music. I think I'm just burned out on gaming. It used to be that individual games were unique, and different genres offered radically different experiences. Now, with games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3, the only difference between a shooter and an RPG is dialogue and an inventory. The creative spark of the gaming industry is just gone; games look the same, play the same, and tell the same stories -- I'm looking at you, Bioware, who has yet to find a plot or character you couldn't recycle. I never thought this would happen, but I really don't like video games that much anymore.  

News Comments > PC F.E.A.R. 2 Map Pack Later
4. Re: PC F.E.A.R. 2 Map Pack Later May 14, 2009, 23:19 Scottish Martial Arts

Seeing as this DLC is multiplayer only, they shouldn't even bother releasing it for PC. Without dedicated servers, F.E.A.R. 2 PC multiplayer has died faster than any other shooter I've played.  

News Comments > EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games
4. Re: EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games May 5, 2009, 02:06 Scottish Martial Arts

..And wtf do you want them to do with Dantes Inferno?

How about not using the poem to begin with? There is something just wrong about taking what is quite possibly the single greatest literary work to emerge from the Middle Ages and turning it into a kill-a-second action game for mouth-breathing 14 year old boys. It's just in extraordinarily poor taste and I honestly can't fathom how anyone with any integrity could take it seriously.

If they really wanted to use the poem for a game without demeaning their source material, they might have made a fine graphic adventure game out of it. But obviously that's not chic and mainstream and guaranteed to sell a million copies so that the art department budget can be covered and the company can post a quarterly profit so that the shareholders will be pleased. Instead, let's just have Lucifer with his minions Brutus and Judas as the epic end boss at the end of level 9.

God I hate the fucking video game industry. And to think the decade started out so promisingly with games like Deus Ex, Thief 2, and Planescape: Torment. At least Valve is still putting out some decent, if straightforward, games...

News Comments > EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games
2. Re: EA Redwood Shores Becomes Visceral Games May 5, 2009, 01:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Yeah, but they're turning The Divine Comedy into a God of War clone, for god's sake! Video games are a reeaaalll art form aren't they...  

News Comments > Thief 4 Reveal Next Week?
3. Re: Thief 4 Reveal Next Week? May 4, 2009, 17:12 Scottish Martial Arts

Hooray more classic franchise rape!

I loved Thief 1 and 2, and even really liked the third one, but I just can't get excited about this. A multiplatform game with consoles as the lead SKU developed by a team that has no experience with the franchise? Somehow that's just not doing much for me.

2707 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo