Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2717 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Should we thank Roger? Apr 23, 2010, 20:19 Scottish Martial Arts

That so many people have been defending games (the majority of comments on Ebert's own blog, well over 1000, defend games as art) shows that games have taken their place along side other types of artistic culture

Couldn't it also just mean that most gamers have bad taste? Don't get me wrong, I love games, but even at their best they're pretty shallow and crass compared to, say, Plato's Republic or Paradise Lost.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2010, 18:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite book and movie, Tanto Edge?  

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures Discontinued
7. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures Discontinued Mar 30, 2010, 04:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Humor : Penny Arcade :: Oil : Water  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: no more consoles!!! Mar 29, 2010, 22:43 Scottish Martial Arts

space captain wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 22:10:
i want some of the shit that market analyst is smoking

what the holy hell - "hi there im a bean counter thats never touched a video game in my entire life, so let me tell you how video game technology will play out for the rest of all time"

Did you read the article or just the headline? This beancounter actually makes a pretty compelling argument.

News Comments > C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans
19. Re: C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans Mar 29, 2010, 17:01 Scottish Martial Arts

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 09:06:
Never heard of it.

I don't see how you can dismiss the idea though... a persistent ranking system with a base you level up, like CnC4 has, but with more traditional CnC gameplay outside of that, along with tons of maps, modes and units, all online all the time, could easily be the best RTS release in years for me.

I like the CnC story, but now that it's over I would like to see a game in the Battlefield vein.

Sole Survivor was an online only Command and Conquer title released during Christmas '97. Essentially it recreated class-based team first person shooter gameplay, a la QW Team Fortress which was massively popular back then, in the Command and Conquer Gold engine. You would pick a unit from the roster of GDI and NOD units, be assigned to a team, and would then control your unit alongside your team in games of CTF, "football", king of the hill, and deathmatch. Your unit would level up as it got kills and collected pickups, which would sometimes include single-use special abilities like an Ion Cannon strike. It was a neat idea on paper but was absolutely terrible in practice, never catching on, selling poorly, and quickly falling into obscurity, which would explain why you've never heard of it.

Sounds like your idea, now that you've fleshed it out a bit, is a bit different. Nevertheless, Sole Survivor is a game that should never be emulated.

News Comments > C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans
15. Re: C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans Mar 29, 2010, 07:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Or just an online-only Battlefield type game, but with CnC, and more of a classic style. That could have rocked.

Command and Conquer: Sole Survivor called, and it wants its terrible idea back.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2010, 02:24 Scottish Martial Arts

Fallout fanboys can never get another good RPG, unless that RPG is made 100% of pure, blinding nostalgia.

Yeah, cause video games are just SO fucking good these days.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2010, 17:29 Scottish Martial Arts

What Fallout fans wanted was Fallout 3. What we got was The Elder Scrolls: Washington, D.C. I'm still amazed that people don't understand why longtime fans of a series might be disappointed by a sequel whose gameplay doesn't even remotely resemble its predecessors. When a spin-off game, Fallout Tactics, has more gameplay in common with its predecessors than the supposed direct sequal, you have a problem. Honestly, if you boil Fallout down to Supermutants, Vaults, and the Brotherhood of Steel, what you're left with really isn't even all that good. Gameplay made Fallout great, and yet Fallout 3 played like the Elder Scrolls. No wonder fans didn't care for it.  

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Image
12. Re: Deus Ex 3 Image Mar 5, 2010, 05:26 Scottish Martial Arts

The original game did not sell very well, and is more a cult favorite than anything.

Deus Ex far exceeded all sales projections made by Ion Storm and Eidos. Did it sell 14 million copies like Modern Warfare 2? No, but the game was a huge financial success for all the parties involved and proved to be highly profitable.

News Comments > Tim Cain Interview
6. Re: Tim Cain Interview Feb 23, 2010, 17:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Probably because every game you released required 847,000 patches to become marginally playable, maybe? You think?

Eh, that's not really true. Arcanum was stable and mostly bug-free at release. I just completed two back to back playthroughs of VTMB with only the single official patch, released in December 2004, and had no crashes and the most significant "bug" I encountered was that the Malkavian script needed another proofreading pass. ToEE was buggy at release and had a serious memory leak in the Elemental Nodes. ToEE also had serious problems with XP Service Pack 2. In otherwords, ToEE is really the only seriously buggy game they released.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Underway
11. Re: StarCraft II Beta Underway Feb 17, 2010, 18:41 Scottish Martial Arts

I only learned you could register your CD keys on Battle.net today.

Oh well, I'm set for the next beta.

That's no guarantee for getting in

News Comments > Diablo III Female Monk Reveal
15. Re: Diablo III Female Monk Reveal Feb 10, 2010, 03:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Honestly, you don't need intelligence to play this game... just an index finger on each hand.
One for clicking shit, the other for using potions... unless you're one of those unruly folks who can click faster than I can hotkey.

Sounds like you never played past the normal difficulty level. Diablo isn't that complex a game, but on nightmare and hell it gets a lot more involved, where character builds, ability usage, and tactics play a much larger role. Chugging potions will only take you so far.

And Bioware? Seriously? The company that's been making the same fucking game over and over again since 2002? When even xbox players are talking about how dumbed down Mass Effect 2 is, you know it's bad.

News Comments > Diablo II Box Art Painting
6. Re: Diablo II Box Art Painting Feb 4, 2010, 14:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Cool. I never realized that the guy on the Diablo II box was actually the Wanderer/Diablo 1 PC.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 25, 2010, 22:05 Scottish Martial Arts

Yeah, Boston is definitely pretty far North. Having just returned to California after living there for several months, I will say that Boston is totally worth making the trip. Still pretty unconvenient for a lot of people on the East Coast though, like you said.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 22:06.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 25, 2010, 13:41 Scottish Martial Arts

Remarkably accurate guide to Boston. I love that city.  

News Comments > Interplay and Masthead's Project: V13 Deal
2. Re: Interplay and Masthead's Project: V13 Deal Jan 23, 2010, 01:08 Scottish Martial Arts

You've got to hand it to Bethesda: I don't think any other developer/publisher could've made me root for Interplay again.  

News Comments > On BioShock 2 Vita-Chambers and Backtracking
33. Re: On BioShock 2 Vita-Chambers and Backtracking Jan 13, 2010, 22:46 Scottish Martial Arts

System Shock 1 had substantial backtracking. Most of the Reactor deck, for example, is a death trap the first time you visit. Likewise with the maintenence deck: almost all of it is off limits until later on. Some decks didn't have any medical facilities, so heading back to the medical deck was a great way to save your useable med supplies. Towards the end of the game you have to set the station to self-destruct, which means completing multiple tasks on multiple decks all while SHODAN's minions try to stop you. The overall effect was that you were actually on a space station that could be freely explored, rather than proceeding through a linear series of themed levels. Like Ray, one of my gripes with Bioshock was that it felt less like a city and more like a collection of levels. It looks like Bioshock 2 will be even worse in that regard.  

News Comments > Interplay Seeks Legal Fees from Bethesda
31. Re: Interplay Seeks Legal Fees from Bethesda Dec 29, 2009, 20:00 Scottish Martial Arts

99% of lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.  

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Dec 27, 2009, 22:15 Scottish Martial Arts

If you attack someone, they HAVE to get a turn to do a defense roll..

Again, that's no different than Quake running the numbers to see if your rocket hits the target. The only difference is that one is based upon abstract modeling, and the other based upon engine physics. There are no "turns" going on in what you describe; an attack is entered, and the game instantaneously "rolls the dice" to see if it succeeds and how much damage it does, just like when you click the fire button in Quake and the game calculates the trajectory and speed of the rocket and where the target is in relationship to it to see if you inflict damage and how much you do. Most real-time strategy games feature different types of damage and armor, which means that when you attack a target, the game has to crunch the armor and damage type numbers to see what kind of damage is inflicted. That doesn't mean the game is real-time though. All computer games depend upon math going on behind the scenes to adjudicate results, so by that standard all computer games are turn-based. The only real way you can call a game turn-based is if the action of the game actually unfolds in turns. Either that or we need to distinguish between the Turn-based turn-based games, and real-time turn-based games, which is completely retarded.

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2009, 22:16.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Dec 27, 2009, 04:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Dragon Age is a turn based

You mean real-time with pause. Chess is turn-based. Jagged Alliance is turn-based. Fallout 1/2 is turn-based. X-Com UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep are turn based. Every RPG that Bioware has ever made has been real-time with pause. If you're not taking turns, it isn't turn-based. And the personal initiative round that operates under the surface of most DnD and d20 RPGs? That's just a time delay between ability usage. If you're going to call such a system turn-based, even though the action unfolds entirely in real-time, then you might as well call World of Warcraft turn-based too, and any game that imposes time-based restrictions on how often you can perform an action. Hey, you have to wait several minutes between firing nukes in Command & Conquer: Red Alert, so it must be a turn-based game!

Sorry to go on a rant, but this is a huge pet-peeve of mine -- almost as bad as when people refer to mythology when in fact they mean myth -- especially when I see it in gaming journalism. Do gaming journalists actually know anything about the medium they cover?

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2009, 04:54.

2717 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo